• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

AceBandage said:
The rumor from Kotaku is the strongest rumor?
And was stated by Nintendo as well.

It just feels damn silly when people state that because the system is rumored to have included flash memory that it shouldn't be able to have a hard drive.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Grampa Simpson said:

It just feels damn silly when people state that because the system is rumored to have included flash memory that it shouldn't be able to have a hard drive.
No one is saying that, people are saying it's unlikely to ship with a hard drive, not that it's impossible. Stop the reflexsive defense, no one posting negative things about Nintendo is out to get them.

watershed

Banned
Grampa Simpson said:

Wait what did Nintendo say about flash memory in relation to the cafe? I don't remember this! Was it in one of the rumor threads?

Mr_Brit said:
No one is saying that, people are saying it's unlikely to ship with a hard drive, not that it's impossible. Stop the reflexsive defense, no one posting negative things about Nintendo is out to get them.
Mr_Brit said:
It'd be highly unlikely to have a Hard drive and even if it did it'd be even less likely to be user replaceable.

Mr_Brit

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Wait what did Nintendo say about flash memory in relation to the cafe? I don't remember this! Was it in one of the rumor threads?
Nintendo haven't said a thing outside the 'press release' they put out to announce the system's unveil at E3.

Grampa Simpson said:
Are you real? What you just quoted entirely supports what I said.

artwalknoon said:
They didn't. That's the joke. Apologies if Mr_Brit thought that I was referring to a rumor when I was referring to things said at Nintendo's Investor Q&A. Apologies for any confusion that I may have incited by my lack of emoticons.

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
Sorry, still trying to wrap my head around Kotaku being the most reliable rumor...

I mean, we're talking about the same Kotaku that has posted GAF jokes as news, right?
They're usually a joke but if you read Totilo's comments he makes a very strong case and he's completely different to the other Kotaku writers.

watershed

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Nintendo haven't said a thing outside the 'press release' they put out to announce the system's unveil at E3.

That's what I thought but Grampa Simpson says, "And was stated by Nintendo as well." in response to someone talking about the flash memory rumor from kotaku. But like you I thought no one had "confirmed" anything especially not Nintendo.

Edit: I see it now, nevermind. Jeez that was a series of confusing posts.

Mr_Brit said:
They're usually a joke but if you read Totilo's comments he makes a very strong case and he's completely different to the other Kotaku writers.

Hmmm, we shall see. It's true that there are no rumors to the contrary, but it's also true that Kotaku is the only site reporting this.

Mr_Brit said:
Are you real? What you just quoted entirely supports what I said.
I'll try bolding parts of it this time.

Mr_Brit said:
It'd be highly unlikely to have a Hard drive and even if it did it'd be even less likely to be user replaceable.
Is that a little better?

It's ok to dislike Nintendo. It's just annoying that you can't seem to keep it in and seem to keep lying to yourself about it.

Mr_Brit

Banned
TunaLover said:
If the console brings only 8gb of flash memory I hope Nintendo give the option to enhance it, for example with SDHC cards.
Totilo later confirmed that storage can be expanded using SD cards.

Grampa Simpson said:
I'll try bolding parts of it this time.

Is that a little better?

It's ok to dislike Nintendo. It's just annoying that you can't seem to keep it in and seem to keep lying to yourself about it.
So using highly unlikely instead of just unlikely makes it a completely different sentence to you?

I honestly don't understand the impulse to jump to your favourite corportation's defense. No one is out to get Nintendo, posting non positive things about them doesn't mean you hate them.

TunaLover said:
If the console brings only 8gb of flash memory I hope Nintendo give the option to enhance it, for example with SDHC cards.

Even if it has 100GB of storage, they'll likely allow SD cards, just like the Wii, DSi and 3DS.

GDGF said:
I hope this thing has trilinear mipmap interpolation and LOD management.

Real time leather shading and mesh mapping.

watershed

Banned
Grampa Simpson said:
They didn't. That's the joke. Apologies if Mr_Brit thought that I was referring to a rumor when I was referring to things said at Nintendo's Investor Q&A. Apologies for any confusion that I may have incited by my lack of emoticons.

But imagine if they did! Original press release:

"We will be unveiling the successor to the Wii at E3 with no further details at this time......

Oh, and it will have 8Gb Flash Memory. That is all."

Instro

Grampa Simpson said:
Where did that happen? I don't remember it happening in the thread...

It was in his article iirc. Whether or not that means they will be used as the only storage solution is unknown though. Id be really disappointed if SD cards are the only way to expand storage space.

Mr_Brit

Banned
rpmurphy said:
Is there actually precedence for Nintendo to sell a proprietary, non-user-replaceable HDD? It doesn't seem likely at all.
A Hard drive is contrary to the best rumour regarding storage space and would be very un Nintendo like as they like to keep their user hardware experience as simple as possible and a changeable hard drive would go against that.

Instro said:
It was in his article iirc. Whether or not that means they will be used as the only storage solution is unknown though. Id be really disappointed if SD cards are the only way to expand storage space.
That will never happen.

TunaLover

AceBandage said:
Even if it has 100GB of storage, they'll likely allow SD cards, just like the Wii, DSi and 3DS.
The Wii method wasn´t really a memory enhancement of the main memory, because you still need transfer the whole data (games, saves) from the SD card to the Wii memory, Wii doesn´t allow load directly from the SD card. I don´t know how works DSi or 3DS.

rpmurphy

Mr_Brit said:
A Hard drive is contrary to the best rumour regarding storage space and would be very un Nintendo like as they like to keep their user hardware experience as simple as possible and a changeable hard drive would go against that.
Nintendo doesn't seem to have any issues against user-replaceable expandable storage. I don't understand why you think it would be different for external HDD's.

On the 3DS you can use the SD card to actually expand the memory and run games off of it.
The reason it didn't work on the Wii was because they didn't originally plan for that, and it's pretty much impossible to update the Wii to do anything.

Mr_Brit

Banned
rpmurphy said:
Nintendo doesn't seem to have any issues against user-replaceable expandable storage. I don't understand why you think it would be different for external HDD's.
Buying a hard drive is much more intimidating to people than picking up an SD card. With a hard drive you need to worry about 2.5"/3.5", connections, height, platter speed etc. On the other hand any SD card will work in a console.

Instro said:
Hm? Since you dont think they will be using a addon HDD, whats the alternative to SD cards?
Embedded flash memory.

Instro

Mr_Brit said:
Embedded flash memory.

So your saying that they would have a dual sku with more internal storage...? I suppose thats a possibility assuming in 2012 they could add a 30-60GB ssd to the console at a relatively low cost.

Mr_Brit said:
How would this with a Nintendo logo:

xbox-360-hard-drive-250gb-japan.jpg

be very different from:
86_Famicom_Disk_System_Front.jpg

24611.jpg

expansion_pack_n64_4mb.jpg

gamecube_memory_280x280.jpg

64DD_with_Nintendo64.jpg

or really even this:

images.png

Apologies for hotlinking images. If any glitch, tell me and I'll rehost.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
herzogzwei1989 said:
I hope so.

That puts the GPU right inbetween RV740 (3x 360) and RV770 (4-5x 360).
That is in ALU power alone (i.e. ALU delta x clock delta). If we factor in texturing and ROP deltas too, the overall performance delta becomes even bigger. The only wildcard Xenos may have in its advantage is the eDRAM feature which may or may not be repeated in Cafe.

TunaLover

I really don´t see the big deal with SD cards, they are small, no need power suply, they are portables, don´t have moving parts, don´t make any noise, the only downside is the price VS HDD.

Instro

TunaLover said:
I really don´t see the big deal with SD cards, they are small, no need power suply, they are portables, don´t have moving parts, don´t make any noise, the only downside is the price VS HDD.

The issue with SD cards is their read/write speeds, outside of SDXC cards, they are incredibly slow by comparison to an HDD. This would be a very bad thing considering the size of DLC and digital games.

blu said:
That is in ALU power alone (i.e. ALU delta x clock delta). If we factor in texturing and ROP deltas too, the overall performance delta becomes even bigger. The only wildcard Xenos may have in its advantage is the eDRAM feature which may or may not be repeated in Cafe.

I asked about this before but never saw a response, if the Wii has 3mb embedded gpu RAM, would it mean embedded RAM is already necessary for straightforward backwards compatibility? And if so how does the Mosys 1T-SRAM compare to Xenos' eDRAM?

TunaLover said:

Precisely why RAM and flash manufacturers have tried to drive the cost down below motorized HDDs. They would seize the storage market almost instantly....

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
TunaLover said:
It's a big downside. Hard drives have much more storage space, and are much faster than most SD cards.

Anyway, ease of use is not a valid reason for Nintendo not to use a HDD, be it preinstalled or optional. Nothing is inherently more difficult if they release Nintendo-branded ones or reserve enough space for any standard laptop-sized one. Platter speed is no different from SD card speed after all, and apparently they don't seem to care about that.

I can see them not putting an internal hard drive for completely different reasons though: heat and size. But neither would prevent them from allowing USB storage instead.

I wouldn't mind SD cards. the problem is when people bring up copying games to storage. with the current rumors, It ain't gonna happen (not that I will complain though)

Graphics Horse said:
I asked about this before but never saw a response, if the Wii has 3mb embedded gpu RAM, would it mean embedded RAM is already neccessary for straight forward Backwards compatibility?
I'm really torn on how they're going to acheive this. CPU Instructions should be the easy part - assuming that they're using a PowerPC, but Hollywood might need significant software to bridge instructions to the new GPU. I really hope that they don't just tack a Hollywood on to the side, but it's possible. It would make me really sad.

Hopefully they can just dedicate a thread to escaping and replacing incompatible CPU instructions, and a core to converting GPU instructions to modern ATI/AMD equivalents the way that Dolphin must. That may even get us up-rendered games.

As far as Wii BC goes, I would be more than happy if it was only guaranteed to work with a selected list of high rated games. The Wii unfortunately has a rather poor awesome to shit ratio.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Graphics Horse said:
I asked about this before but never saw a response, if the Wii has 3mb embedded gpu RAM, would it mean embedded RAM is already necessary for straightforward backwards compatibility? And if so how does the Mosys 1T-SRAM compare to Xenos' eDRAM?
Embedded RAM in the context of BC does not need to be such per se. It just needs to provide sufficient access and bandwidth characteristics such that the host platform would not underperform under any circumstances in comparison to the, erm, emulated platform (for a lack of a better term denoting Hollywood on R700). ..Oops, netbook battery down..

artwalknoon said:
Has it been posted that the fake cafe powerpoint video was faked by two people to win a website competition seeing who could create a piece of viral content intended to draw over 5000 views and illicit some emotional reaction/response from the viewers?
http://translate.google.com/transla...uvelles-des-buzzies-awards-au-fil-de-l-eau#co
For all those people who thought it might be real (don't know if there were any), yeah...
Yes. I was even considering giving it it's own thread, but that would just end badly.

I'm surprised they openly admitted it was fake, honestly.
Usually that kind of stuff is just thrown out there by someone and never explained.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Grampa Simpson said:
Yes. I was even considering giving it it's own thread, but that would just end badly.
It might deserve one, if anything because we all know those pictures will keep being reposted over and over till E3
and beyond

artwalknoon said:
Has it been posted that the fake cafe powerpoint video was faked by two people to win a website competition seeing who could create a piece of viral content intended to draw over 5000 views and illicit some emotional reaction/response from the viewers?
http://translate.google.com/transla...uvelles-des-buzzies-awards-au-fil-de-l-eau#co
For all those people who thought it might be real (don't know if there were any), yeah...
Chet Rippo was right:

Chet Rippo said:
Chittagong said:
It has to be real because there is a female person in the video. Think about it. If you are a sad loser who uses extraordinary amounts of time to fake Nintendo hardware in multiple forms for no obvious reason, what are the odds that you would ever have the social skills to talk to a girl, let alone get a girl to participate in your hoax video.

...or perhaps she is the one who made the hoax.

What a twist!

blu said:

Yeah, I was speaking in terms of floating point performance.

I hope they keep the 16 ROPs (of RV770 or RV740) and not cut back like Sony & Nvidia did with NV47/G70 to make RSX. Pixel fillrate is not exactly an unimportant thing these days.

I alsp pray that there is a healthy chunk of high-bandwidth embedded memory that exceeds the bandwidth of Xenos.

Doctor_20

Banned
I'm sort of surprised with the lack of leaked info. Though I wasn't around here for the Wii pre-announcement jumble. When was the majority of the Wii stuff leaked?

Krowley

Doctor_20 said:
I'm sort of surprised with the lack of leaked info. Though I wasn't around here for the Wii pre-announcement jumble. When was the majority of the Wii stuff leaked?

There weren't a lot of leaks with the wii. Nintendo pretty much shocked everybody. I think we got the actual image of the controller the night before the unveiling.

Nintendo had released a lot of info suggesting they were going to do something revolutionary, and there were some hardware rumors regarding the power of the system. There was also a lot of fan speculation and invention, but there was a tight lid on most information.

Top Bottom