• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PSP 2 is coming (rumor)

Guy Legend

Rumor: PSP 2 Coming Soon
Sources suggest that the PSP 2 is real, touch screen-enabled, and coming soon.
by Scott Lowe

January 26, 2009 - The evolution of the PSP has been one of small incremental updates rather than drastic aesthetic and hardware reconfigurations. Since its debut in 2005 the PSP has undergone two mild hardware adjustments with the PSP-2000 and the PSP-3000. While the 2000 series altered the handheld in terms of form -- slimming down the hardware by 33% in weight, and 19% in thickness -- the 3000 series made some notable functional improvements, such as a built-in microphone. The 2000 and 3000 series ensured the continued success of the PSP brand across North America and Europe, many gamers have been clamoring for a full-fledged PSP 2 for months.

Although Sony has consistently denied that any such product is in development, rumors and predictions have been circling for over a year about a forthcoming PSP 2. Last week we posted our predictions for the seemingly inevitable sequel to the popular handheld, citing hardware improvements like dual thumbsticks and a touch screen interface, but now we've learned that our hopes and dreams for the system may be, in part, dead on the money.

IGN has learned from several credible sources that the PSP 2 is indeed on the horizon, and will be packing multi-touch technology. According to our sources, the PSP 2 will feature a widescreen multi-touch interface comparable to that of the iPhone for both in-game control and menu navigation. Unfortunately, we were unable to secure any additional details on the alleged new system, but this latest batch of rumors seems to fall in line with other recent claims orbiting the vast recesses of the internet.

This latest batch of rumors comes on the heels of an allegedly official Sony survey leaked by enthusiast blog, PSPFanboy.com, which asked consumers what features would compel them the most to buy a new PSP. Among the choices offered by the survey were a touch screen interface, Bluetooth support, an integrated hard drive, GPS, and nationwide wireless networking. If true, the survey seems to further suggest that Sony is in the process of drastically revising the PSP's core hardware.

We contacted Sony representatives for further comment on the matter, but their response was unsurprisingly straight out of the rumor-response playbook, "We can't comment on rumors or speculation."

For more on the PSP 2, stay tuned to IGN.com.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/948/948234p1.html

Didn't see this posted. Forgive if it already has been.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This latest batch of rumors comes on the heels of an allegedly official Sony survey leaked by enthusiast blog, PSPFanboy.com, which asked consumers what features would compel them the most to buy a new PSP. Among the choices offered by the survey were a touch screen interface, Bluetooth support, an integrated hard drive, GPS, and nationwide wireless networking. If true, the survey seems to further suggest that Sony is in the process of drastically revising the PSP's core hardware.

Great source.

Does there need to be a new PSP this soon? Maybe if it's just a new SKU but with the same hardware power/specs, I can see that.

But a PSP2? Hmm..

zoku88

I find it kinda weird that the title is missing the word 'soon'

Which is probably the 2nd or 3rd most important word in there :lol

KR3W

Banned
Did IGN procure this information from the same sources that said Kid Icarus would be playable at E3?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Private Hoffman said:
Does there need to be a new PSP this soon? Maybe if it's just a new SKU but with the same hardware power/specs, I can see that.

But a PSP2? Hmm..

No thx. I'm not sure even a new sku would be that great for them already.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
They need to stop people buying PSP's and start buying PSP games - that's the real problem.

Touch screen sounds great, but there NEEDS to be buttons on this thing.

4 Face buttons, a D-Pad, 2 Analog sticks and 2 shoulder buttons is NEEDED.

Wario64 said:

Great source.

so "coming off the heels of" = the source now? i think they're just referencing that the survey corroborates the info they were given by their source.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Rumor: Sony makes risky move by producing follow-up to successful product. Shock and confusion rule the streets as the world reacts.

Balb

Private Hoffman said:

But a PSP2? Hmm..

It's been nearly 4 years in North America since the PSP released. The hardware sales are decent but that's not really what Sony wants. The sooner they release the new one, the better. If nothing else, the PSP2 can get DS ports thanks to the addition of the touch screen, assuring that a PSP drought will never happen again. Also, for reference, the GBA lasted for 3 and a half years until its successor came out.

The reason why this is stupid is that every platform holder always has one or more successor systems in some sort of development. Even if it's just a market research or design research level. The fact that Sony's market research group did some market research about what people would like to see in a successor to the PSP means damn near close to absolutely nothing at all.

SexyFlanders.gif

Balb said:
It's been nearly 4 years in North America since the PSP released. The hardware sales are decent but that's not really what Sony wants. The sooner they release the new one, the better. If nothing else, the PSP2 can get DS ports thanks to the addition of the touch screen, assuring that a PSP drought will never happen again. Also, for reference, the GBA lasted for 3 and a half years until its successor came out.
The Gameboy line lasted 13.

Balb

bmf said:
The Gameboy line lasted 13.

I wouldn't compare the PSP (which isn't even in first place) to the Game Boy, which was aided by Pokemon and virtually had no real competition.

pje122

Ugh, it really is too soon. I love my PSP so much, and I would still like to see a lot more software made for it (or be ported to it).

Balb said:
I wouldn't compare the PSP (which isn't even in first place) to the Game Boy, which was aided by Pokemon and virtually had no real competition.
Atari Lynx
Sega Game Gear
Bandai Wonderswan
Turboexpress
Neo Geo Pocket(Color)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Seems like an odd time for it considering the PSP is just hitting its stride saleswise and getting some bigger games lately.

frAntic_Frog said:
so what about those without internet or pc access? or those who would rather own disc copies of games?
Playing games from the UMD sucks though. Hopefully they ditch the UMD format altogether with their next handheld.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Duh.

It'll be four years in March in US, and five in December. It's time for a "2" or something like that. Makes the most sense too, what with touch-screens being the wave of the future and such. I'd be surprised if PSP2 wasn't announced at E3 2009 or before that with a late 2009, or 2010 release.

PSP is getting long in the tooth, hardware sales are flat, and software sales are dropping, time to do something.

Balb

neight said:
What are you talking about some of those were promising with big marketing campaigns.

I'm not talking about potential or marketing. The bottom line is that none of those handhelds even came close. Before the PSP came out, didn't Nintendo say they had somewhere between 90-95% marketshare in the handheld market?

DMeisterJ said:
Duh.

It'll be four years in March in US, and five in December. It's time for a "2" or something like that. Makes the most sense too, what with touch-screens being the wave of the future and such. I'd be surprised if PSP2 wasn't announced at E3 2009 or before that with a late 2009, or 2010 release.

PSP is getting long in the tooth, hardware sales are flat, and software sales are dropping, time to do something.
And the only way to turn the software situation around is to release a new platform, which I'm fine with honestly. As long as it's cheap and Sony actually fucking supports it like it matters to them.

PSP2 needs a big ass storage space... and have ALL the library available on PSN

swapping UMDs on flight or train is a pain... everything should be on the memory stick/storage device

EVERYTHIN! put everything on PSN

Pimpbaa

the PSP 2 will feature a widescreen multi-touch interface comparable to that of the iPhone

Hopefully this means that visual quality will be comparable to the iphone/ipod touch. Got my doubts tho.

DMeisterJ said:
Duh.

They can start a whole new generation and force Nintendo to stomp them all over again.

Actually, a full blown handheld PS2 wouldn't be a bad idea. Just make the games license based, downloadable, and runnable from flash cards - but please, drop the Memroy Stick for SD. Virtual Console gets a whole new meaning.

DMeisterJ said:

how bout a psp price cut beforehand? would certainly be more efficient than outright announcing another psp

neight said:
What are you talking about some of those were promising with big marketing campaigns.

And they all sold like shit. There's a reason that none of those companies ever stuck around in the handheld market.

The PSP has been the first non-Nintendo handheld system to legitimately do well in the market, even if it didn't come close to the DS.

frAntic_Frog said:
how bout a psp price cut beforehand? would certainly be more efficient than outright announcing another psp
That wouldn't do anything for the software sales though, which is the real problem.

ZeroGravity

frAntic_Frog said:
That's not really going to spur people to buy games for it. Even when hardware sales were higher, the thing still wasn't pushing software. Developer support isn't going to get better either.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Pretty sure the next PSP will basically be the iPhone with buttons.

if you think about it...it kinda has been all along. Just without touch.

and the apps are illegal.

Top Bottom