• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews A Shadow's Tale - "one of the Wii's most beautiful and interesting games"

gamingeek

lost-in-shadow-20101004115349401_640w.jpg

A Shadow's Tale is one of the Wii's most beautiful and interesting games, both understated and deceptively deep. It never overuses one element or another, never dropping in a particular type of light or switch puzzle too often and changing things up just as you begin to suspect it's getting gimmicky. The core novelty of its gameplay never wears off, and the artistic direction is a constant source of pleasure

Read more: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/112/1126687p2.html#ixzz11mF2zKhO

gamingeek

Ranger X said:
Wait, this is releasing this month???

Europe gets it 15th of October - next Friday I think.

IGN:

"A Shadow's Tale is enchanting to look at. The trailer alone is enough to send you weak at the knees. Originally known as Lost in Shadow, it's out in Europe months before America, giving us a rare chance to gloat"

Ydahs

Oooh. Another solid platformer for the Wii. This will go into my backlog of Wii games whenever it comes out :D

EDIT:

Release Date:
Australia: October 8, 2010

It's out already?!

Empty

oh lost in shadow changed its name. i was wondering why i hadn't heard of the name in the op before. amazing to hear that it's out so soon over here, very pleasant surprise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Living in the UK I just know this game will end up being super cheap later down the road. Also considering it is out in a week it is rather odd that The Hut has the release date completely wrong.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Empty said:
oh lost in shadow changed its name. i was wondering why i hadn't heard of the name in the op before. amazing to hear that it's out so soon over here, very pleasant surprise.

still lost in shadow in NA.

Luigiv

^^ It's a retail game. Probably wouldn't fit in the Wiiware file limit anyway (though we won't know for sure until someone gets the chance to rip it).

Edit: Beaten.

Empty

Stumpokapow said:
still lost in shadow in NA.

what's with the name change for europe then? copywright issues? it seems weird to throw away much of the positive reaction to the game pre-release, even though exposure was mild, just for a name the european branch likes slightly more.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
A little tip for anyone in NA who wants to import this from Japan: The game has all the language files for every region already on the disc. Just have to force the language to your preferred language in whatever loader you use. So if you're a Wii homebrewer and can't wait for this, just know that you can have it in English right now.

Obligatory Play-Asia link: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-z3-49-en-70-3tux.html

gamingeek said:
Europe gets it 15th of October - next Friday I think.

IGN:

"A Shadow's Tale is enchanting to look at. The trailer alone is enough to send you weak at the knees. Originally known as Lost in Shadow, it's out in Europe months before America, giving us a rare chance to gloat"

oha. time to save some cash then

For all the times Lost in Shadow has changed its name I've had a hard time following it, but it's good to see that it's finally coming out. I was psyched when it was announced at E3 last year.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oooh, its actually good! Sweet, I always though it looked interesting, but I was worried they might bungle it. Definitely picking it up then.

zigg

Excellent. Glad to hear it stays great and isn't just neat in the first couple hours that I have played. :D

Alternatively, this 1 calls it a 6/10 charming dinosaur that apes Ico (which, honestly, was my prediction for reviews).

God. It doesn't ape Ico even if it's reminiscent.

This is what the game's creator/director said when I asked about it in my Q&A. (Of course, I asked what he was going for with the style, not "why does this look like Ico.")

Osamu Tsuchihashi said:
I tried to recreate the light that occurs when the sunset light is right about to hit the park grounds. As I mentioned before, the concept of this game is taken from Shadow Tag, and I wanted to try to relay the feeling of playing in the horizontal sunlight as a child.

A similar case can be said for the enemies. The enemies that you encounter can be thought of as the chaser, who is "it." They can be terrifying, and some of them may even inspire that boogeyman feeling that we feared as children.

Boerseun

Banned
Yeah, this has always looked stunning. Day one for me.

Also, the art style only vaguely resembles Ico, in my opinion.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Preordered this long ago on Amazon.
Liking the EU name way better.

Thought the import reviews were less than stellar?

This is made by the same team that made the Kororinpa games, so of course it's going to turn out great. I'm importing the EU version so I don't have to wait until January to play it. Still might double dip on the US version to support the developers if I like it enough though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Europe gets this way before America?

Yeah, gonna have to support this game. Plus it's 2D so that's always a winner

pje122 said:
Why so low?
gfx I think. Their criticism is they wish it was on an HD console

Teetris said:
Europe gets this way before America?

Yeah, gonna have to support this game. Plus it's 2D so that's always a winner

Lack of Mii integration also brought it down a few points.

EDIT - Wow, not being HD really was their criticism? :lol :lol :lol

Teetris said:
This is a pretty great parody of a Wii review, I laughed.

*reads actual review*

Graphics
For all its prettiness, you'll almost constantly be wishing that A Shadow's Tale was on an HD platform. Cleaner edges and less grain would make it even more stunning.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
nincompoop said:
Lack of Mii integration also brought it down a few points.

EDIT - Wow, not being HD really was their criticism? :lol :lol :lol
Which is funny cause of you know, the OP's title quote

OnPoint

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Is this seriously the NA box art???
list_in_shadow_wii1boxart_160w.jpg

I might just import because of how ugly that is when compared to this...
Wii+Kage+no+Tou.jpg

Oh Jesus Christ. That's awful. This reminds me of the Wizard of Oz RPG for DS box art debacle.

This game played fantastically at PAX. Why would they send it to die with that box art

dream

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Is this seriously the NA box art???
list_in_shadow_wii1boxart_160w.jpg

I might just import because of how ugly that is when compared to this...
Wii+Kage+no+Tou.jpg

It's pretty eerie how that mirrors:

256px-Box-l-jp.jpg

vs
ico.jpg

JADS

Hmm coming next Friday. Could use some Wii games to keep me occupied before Kirby and Epic Mickey.

GhaleonQ

OnPoint said:
Oh Jesus Christ. That's awful. This reminds me of the Wizard of Oz RPG for DS box art debacle.

*laughs* I considered posting RIZ-ZOAWD since it reminded me of the exact same palette and style changes.

Spike

Xav said:
2010 is a good year for Wii owners.

It actually really is.

I picked up the import version earlier, as it is completely in english. Awesome, awesome game. This is basically ICO on the Wii. Anyone who loves ICO should run out and pick this up on day one.

Top Bottom