• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Rumor: Insomniac Games Going Multiplatform

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
cjelly said:
I would guess that...

Insomniac don't want to be making Resistance and Ratchet & Clank games until the end of time.

Bungie don't want to be making Halo games until the end of time.

Insomniac don't have to, whereas Bungie, before the split, had less of a say in the matter than they wanted, hence the split.

If it's true, it's probably for the best. I feel both Sony and Insomniac have gotten about as mileage as they're going to out of their exclusive arrangement, and nothing's stopping Insomniac from doing exclusives again in the future.

Hex

Banned
I love Ratchet, and I love Resistance but lets be real, Insomniac was/is special due to the pool that they swim in.
Being Sony exclusive allowed them to fine tune for the hardware in question and also allowed their games to be better due to what else was out at the time.
If Insomniac went multi-platform they would be just another studio mid level studio lost in a sea of other games.
I am sure the drama whores are salivating at the chances that they would have to post their gifs and all of that but the reality of it is that R2 was mediocre and the last Ratchet while fun was not a stand out.

Banned
slider said:
Actually, screw being mature about it.

Stick to PS3 only Insomniac.

And Bungie/A. N. Other stick to 360.

Exclusive development brings a lot of benefits. Well, maybe not lots but a few key ones. And it justifies my purchase of a 360 and a PS3.

Yep. Exclusive are what drives the industry and creates more competition and therefore forces the platform holders to try harder and not rest on laurels.

Having MORE exclusives is better in the medium/long term for gamers, there's no doubt about that.

mollipen

00011000 said:
I'm not necessarily saying either way whether any of IG's games are stinkers or not- just that they're almost all completely devoid of any inspiration. Solid, fun, short-lived and disposable is how I would describe their games.

I've gotten more time out of Resistance 2 than I've gotten out of any other PS3 game I own, and that's without (a) even beating the single-player mode and (b) hardly ever touching co-op.

FrankT

AniHawk said:
A Crack in Time was pretty fucking terrific. One of last year's best games, certainly, and the best in the franchise.

The way they have done R&C, it sounds like they have one more game left storywise before they either end it or ship it off to other people. Probably for the best. The series isn't doing the numbers it used to.

May have to get this one as I really enjoyed ToD. Pushed it off though as I had too many games happening at that time however.

Mush said:
Sony should have snapped them up along time ago. I know IG want to stay private but this is a studio with a heap of talent and it would be a real blow to SCE. On the flip side, it means everyone else can enjoy their great games.

So you think it's a good idea for them to do a hostile takeover of Insomniac?

xbhaskarx said:
foot-shot.jpg

THIS! FUCKING THIS!

Insomniac Games just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about 1st-party culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in 3rd-party where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in 1st-party publishing, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is PS3 owners, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Insomniac's new IP for either system, nor will they purchase any of Insomniac's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Insomniac Games has alienated an entire market with this move.

Jstevenson, publicly apologize and stay loyal to PS3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

AniHawk

Jtyettis said:
May have to get this one as I really enjoyed ToD. Pushed it off though as I had too many games happening at that time however.

I haven't played ToD. I guess it was considered a pretty by-the-numbers R&C. I'd last played Up Your Arsenal, so it had been a while since I had played a game in the series, and man it kinda blew me away. Good platforming, fun killing things levels, a challenging arena (that I was surprised to beat), and fucking awesome weapons. And Clank's time-manipulation levels are so damn good. I wound up doing the extra ones for the hell of it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
00011000 said:
PS3 owners shouldn't care that they'll spend even less time polishing and refining their games before flinging them out on the market?

If they can't make their games properly as an exclusive dev, what makes you think that they can as a multi-plat dev?

Sorry to be so negative. I just don't get the IG love at all. It baffles me.

Then you'll happily continue not buying their games, presumably?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I wouldn't be surprised. They are nearly, at 200+ people if I recall. Whose main series has declined drastically while last entry in the other one seemed to pissed off a large amount of the fanbase. I could see how Sony rather not support a 3rd party developer anymore and continue with the inhouse

Pucc

Banned
It's not a big loss for me. R1 was great and Ratchet is not my type of games. Good luck guys (if it's real).

shagg_187 said:
THIS! FUCKING THIS!

I don't know how much the rest of you know about 1st-party culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in 3rd-party where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in 1st-party publishing, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is PS3 owners, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Insomniac's new IP for either system, nor will they purchase any of Insomniac's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Insomniac Games has alienated an entire market with this move.

Jstevenson, publicly apologize and stay loyal to PS3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

agreed....petition time.....let's start it early, get out in front of this....

sign

WinFonda

E3 2010

Don Mattrick: So that wraps up our Microsoft's presentation for E3 2010, I hope you enjoyed the show.

Ted price slowly walks out on stage and taps Don on the shoulder. Crowd cheers.

Don Mattrick: Wow, it's Ted Price from Insomniac Games everybody!

Ted Price turns his attention up to the giant projector as if to reveal a new game, but the screen quickly fizzles to static as an image of Ken Kuturagi appears. Ted sharply turns and sucker punches Don Mattrick in the stomach. Don makes a loud groan and slumps to the floor.

Ted rips his "I love Xbox 360" shirt to reveal a Sony logo shirt underneath, as the nWo theme plays Ted off the stage to raucous cheering and audible gasps.

evolution

If this is true, they must have got a sweet deal with a large publisher. There games always needed just a little more time in the oven, i don't see how multi-platform development solves this. Only time will tell

Slurmer

Banned
Jtyettis said:

It's leagues better than ToD in my opinion. Play it on hard for the first playthrough.

Banned
shidoshi said:
I've gotten more time out of Resistance 2 than I've gotten out of any other PS3 game I own, and that's without (a) even beating the single-player mode and (b) hardly ever touching co-op.

Again, I'm not dissing them for having bad games. IMO, they're bad/mediocre- yes, but I think many would agree that their games lack anything truly "special", and that's what locks them firmly 2nd tier in my books. It's not a bad place to be, but I believe their ambition and desires were to be in the upper echelons. They're not down and out yet by any means, but they're the biggest disappointment this gen by a mile.

racerx

Banned
WinFonda said:
E3 2010

Don Mattrick: So that wraps up our Microsoft's presentation for E3 2010, I hope you enjoyed the show.

Ted Price turns his attention up to the giant projector as if to reveal a new game, but the screen quickly fizzles to static as an image of Ken Kuturagi appears. Ted sharply turns and sucker punches Don Mattrick in the stomach. Don makes a loud groan and slumps to the floor.

Ted rips his "I love Xbox 360" shirt to reveal a Sony logo shirt underneath, as the nWo theme plays Ted off the stage to raucous cheering and audible gasps.

HAHA. you guys have some crazy imaginations.

WinFonda said:
E3 2010

this is by far the most awesome thing about that scenario

racerx

Banned
00011000 said:
Again, I'm not dissing them for having bad games. IMO, they're bad/mediocre- yes, but I think many would agree that their games lack anything truly "special", and that's what locks them firmly 2nd tier in my books. It's not a bad place to be, but I believe their ambition and desires were to be in the upper echelons. They're not down and out yet by any means, but they're the biggest disappointment this gen by a mile.

2nd tier is probably not correct, but your right they're not quite 1st tier either.

Razor210

shagg_187 said:
THIS! FUCKING THIS!

I wonder if jstevenson knows this meme...

Slurmer

Banned
WinFonda said:
E3 2010

I wish the games industry was this awesome.

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Then you'll happily continue not buying their games, presumably?

I never said I don't buy their games, I just resent myself when I do. I've stopped since Resistance 2 though. If they go multi-plat, there's even less of a chance I'll get buy their new game. Unless it's brilliant, but at that point, I think my resentment would grow even stronger as I'd by hurt by all the love & goodwill they squandered from their time as exclusive devs.

slider

cjelly said:
I would guess that...

Insomniac don't want to be making Resistance and Ratchet & Clank games until the end of time.

Bungie don't want to be making Halo games until the end of time.

They don't have to do they? I didn't say sticking to the same IPs!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
00011000 said:
I never said I don't buy their games, I just resent myself when I do. I've stopped since Resistance 2 though. If they go multi-plat, there's even less of a chance I'll get buy their new game. Unless it's brilliant, but at that point, I think my resentment would grow even stronger as I'd by hurt by all the love & goodwill they squandered from their time as exclusive devs.

what

WinFonda said:
E3 2010

No offence to him, but most people probably wouldn't know who Ted Price is. They would probably think he was a poor lost soul who took a wrong turn on the way to the SOCOM 4 queue.

slider

I NEED SCISSORS said:
No offence to him, but most people probably wouldn't know who Ted Price is. They would probably think he was a poor lost soul who took a wrong turn on the way to the SOCOM 4 queue.

Paging Fersis.

WinFonda said:
E3 2010

Wolfpack theme I hope :p lol

-viper-

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
most people don't even know who this dan matrick guy is either.

Noshino

thuway said:
This should motivate Sony to purchase Sucker Punch ASAP.

Why? This is like marrying someone just because you had a few good dates.... Americans don't have the best record with lasting marriages.... :lol

After the massive disappointment that was Resistance 2, I can't see Sony chomping at the bit to hold them to any further exclusivity. I don't think many realize just how massive a let down R2 was to so many Sony fans.

00011000 said:
Yep. Exclusive are what drives the industry and creates more competition and therefore forces the platform holders to try harder and not rest on laurels.

Having MORE exclusives is better in the medium/long term for gamers, there's no doubt about that.

Not sure if serious.

I'm no fanboy of either IG or any platform holder, but i can't help but think this isn't the best idea.
To me, growing up reading reviews, exclusive games held more attention just because multiplatform implied to me spread resources.
Now, i've been proven wrong various times over the years, POP:SOT,Splinter Cell etc.
But real talk, imo Insomniac doesn't make games on this level, period.
I once said on another forum, that their games never strike me as badly designed, but they never strike me strongly either.
Nice, inoffensive little games that pad out a consoles library, but don't crown it.
If they lose their exclusive sheen, they become Gun, or True Crime, or Smackdown.
Sure, they may get a few extra sales, but they just as easily might not.

Top Bottom