• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Rumor: Insomniac Games Going Multiplatform

Kittonwy

Banned
WinFonda said:
E3 2010

Don Mattrick: So that wraps up our Microsoft's presentation for E3 2010, I hope you enjoyed the show.

Ted price slowly walks out on stage and taps Don on the shoulder. Crowd cheers.

Don Mattrick: Wow, it's Ted Price from Insomniac Games everybody!

Ted Price turns his attention up to the giant projector as if to reveal a new game, but the screen quickly fizzles to static as an image of Ken Kuturagi appears. Ted sharply turns and sucker punches Don Mattrick in the stomach. Don makes a loud groan and slumps to the floor.

Ted rips his "I love Xbox 360" shirt to reveal a Sony logo shirt underneath, as the nWo theme plays Ted off the stage to raucous cheering and audible gasps.

Hey yo.
Indifferent2.gif

Fumetsu said:
I love Ratchet, and I love Resistance but lets be real, Insomniac was/is special due to the pool that they swim in.
Being Sony exclusive allowed them to fine tune for the hardware in question and also allowed their games to be better due to what else was out at the time.
If Insomniac went multi-platform they would be just another studio mid level studio lost in a sea of other games.
I am sure the drama whores are salivating at the chances that they would have to post their gifs and all of that but the reality of it is that R2 was mediocre and the last Ratchet while fun was not a stand out.
Yeah I agree with this. I have a lot of respect for Insomniac, the Ratchet games are totally awesome. Yet I can't help but feel that a lot of what they achieved is due to the company they share with Sony, ND, etc. and that trying to be multiplatform would just eat into the quality of their output. I don't really care if the PS3 loses an exclusive or if the 360 gets more good games, I just want the development studio to make the best possible games that it can, and I don't see this increasing the quality of their games. Who knows though.

Balb

Slurmer said:
I wish the games industry was this awesome.

This actually did happen in the Playstation/Saturn era kind of, didn't it? I forgot who he was, but he was about to speak at the Sony press conference but then he revealed a Saturn logo instead.

Balb said:
This actually did happen in the Playstation/Saturn era kind of, didn't it? I forgot who he was, but he was about to speak at the Sony press conference but then he revealed a Saturn logo instead.

That was Kenji Eno. Goddamn I wish there was video of that :lol

evalue

Banned
shagg_187 said:
THIS! FUCKING THIS!

Insomniac Games just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about 1st-party culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in 3rd-party where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in 1st-party publishing, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is PS3 owners, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Insomniac's new IP for either system, nor will they purchase any of Insomniac's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Insomniac Games has alienated an entire market with this move.

Jstevenson, publicly apologize and stay loyal to PS3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

man has a point look what happened to square

Iknos

Jtyettis said:
Does it? Not sure I see the point in that. Especially Wii.

Spyro and Ratchet demonstrate a pedigree in 3D platformers that appeal to all ages.

Mr. Price should talk to Nintendo and ask if they can make a 3D Donkey Kong platformer.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well guys, Ted has spoken so you have that.

But c'mon, didn't we just deal with this rumor like two months ago? And a few months before that? And so on?

clashfan

WinFonda said:
E3 2010

Don Mattrick: So that wraps up our Microsoft's presentation for E3 2010, I hope you enjoyed the show.

Ted price slowly walks out on stage and taps Don on the shoulder. Crowd cheers.

Don Mattrick: Wow, it's Ted Price from Insomniac Games everybody!

Ted Price turns his attention up to the giant projector as if to reveal a new game, but the screen quickly fizzles to static as an image of Ken Kuturagi appears. Ted sharply turns and sucker punches Don Mattrick in the stomach. Don makes a loud groan and slumps to the floor.

Ted rips his "I love Xbox 360" shirt to reveal a Sony logo shirt underneath, as the nWo theme plays Ted off the stage to raucous cheering and audible gasps.

is this considered fanfic?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jstevenson said:

But c'mon, didn't we just deal with this rumor like two months ago? And a few months before that? And so on?

What did Ted say?

FrankT

TTP said:
What did Ted say?

Insomniac Games' president Ted Price said only that the developer does not comment on rumors and speculation.

jstevenson said:

And fair enough.

jstevenson said:

Soooo you're saying we should ban IGN?

Ash Sparrow said:
Insomniac/Rare new studio for Natal games

Now that you've mentioned it, any decision to go multiplatform might be fueled by uncertainties for the future and waggle, the 30 or 60 fps question and other factors. The most important one probably being the next hardware cycle and what to do with it.

Not that Insomniac appears to be in any kind of trouble (afaik) that would force them to consider this an option though. So likely bogus.

edit: yeah, bogus.

And banning IGN would be a good thing as far as gaf goes. We all know IGN is a lying piece of shit that luuuuves the money hats and why is it not banned? Because they have the first review out for most big games...

You can't call out gaming journalism and then reinforce those practises with your own behaviou, as gaf does so frequently. It makes you look like a stupid ass.

Razor210

jstevenson said:

In that case, I'll take this as another nail in the "ban IGN" coffin.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Revolutionary said:
+1 for IGN ban if not true

As if the nuumnerous troll articles and other things didn't deserve a ban? GAF will never do it, despite how much I wish they would. :|

grumble

DidntKnowJack said:
I don't know why people want to ban IGN so much. The entertainment factor alone from their doofus articles is staggering.

Because people actually believe what they are saying sometimes. Read this thread.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what's the use of saying 'Ted has spoken' if all he said is 'I'm not saying anything'

Razor210

Rez said:
what's the use of saying 'Ted has spoken' if all he said is 'I'm not saying anything'
Because he has said "I'm not saying anything" for months now, according to jstevenson.

Essentially, there is nothing to say at this point.

Hex

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
So almost 200 replies and not a word from JS.....his silence speaks volumes.

He is at GDC, not only that he is not Gaf's do boy.
If Ted is not going to respond, I do not think that JS will.
To assume that him not saying anything because you believe that you are entitled to direct input means anything is just dumb

Edit: and well...there you go he did reply.

Razor210

Fumetsu said:
He is at GDC, not only that he is not Gaf's do boy.
If Ted is not going to respond, I do not think that JS will.
To assume that him not saying anything because you believe that you are entitled to direct input means anything is just dumb
jstevenson said:

noah111

Still Alive
Razor210 said:
Because he has said "I'm not saying anything" for months now, according to jstevenson.

Essentially, there is nothing to say at this point.
Aka they're not ready to reveal their new game.

kamspy

jstevenson said:

Please relay this message to Ted:

We would like to give you money for Sam Cassell 2011 for PC.

Hey Jstevenson, could you please tell the tech guys over at IG that a random forum user is in love with the water effects in a crack in time? Thanks man.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sentry said:
Aka they're not ready to reveal their new game.

They don't have to.

Of course they are going multi-platform. They would have said "no" otherwise.

Every time I hear the "we don't comment on rumors or speculations" line, it ALWAYS turns out the rumor is true. ALWAYS.

jstevenson said:

I think you guys just need to go on the record and state that you aren't even a licensed developer with MS since you can't do anything without a license... and would end any and all speculation. Unless that's not true of course ;)

Razor210

TTP said:
They don't have to. Of course they are going multiplatform. They would have said "no" otherwise.

Every time I hear the "we don't comments on rumors or speculations" line, it ALWAYS turns out the rumor is true. ALWAYS.
Reporter: "Activsion, there's a rumour you sell kittens. Confirm or deny?"
Activision: "We don't comment on rumours".

According to you, this would mean Activision sells kitttens.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Razor210 said:
Reporter: "Activsion, there's a rumour you sell kittens. Confirm or deny?"
Activision: "We don't comment on rumours".

According to you, this would mean Activision sells kitttens.

It would, yes, if it was a real rumor report.

Find me a real one instead.

Ridley327

Well, kittens are easy to exploit, so I would have no problem with the rumor of Activision getting into the business of shoving them down our throats.

I wish some of you loved games overall more than your preferences to a company. A great studio making more games for systems i own and that more people get to enjoy is the best thing ever. I hope it lets them expand again. My pipe dream would be to see them on the handhelds at some point in the future. I would love quest for booty type download experiences on my next DS or PSP.

thuway

jstevenson said:

Hey I just want you guys to know :

I love you guys, and will always buy your platformers. I've said this many times, but you ignore it - I've played, beaten, and own EVERY SINGLE RATCHET :).

With love from a third world country,

Thuway.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Wawaweewaa. As long as they continue to bring out kick ass games, we good.
Mad love for everyone in both studios.

Top Bottom