• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I think this is all fud but either way could this system handle gta with ice mod at 1080p 60fps? 3d 720p 60fps? All I'd really like to see is that, with maybe double the polygon count and a HUGE jump in textures and lighting. If a system can do that at 300, why do we really need more? I'm actually still very impressed by games this gen. I think we'll see more full downloadable smaller games anyway.

You're aiming too low. Expect next gen in game engine cut scenes to look like this (from Naughty Dog):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

With gameplay at 1/3 the detail (a bit better than ultra quality BF3).

thirty

Banned
Imo uncharted, rage, galaxy and gta ice are all amazing. Even pgr4 still holds up. I honestly don't think there's much room to grow. Refine yes but I dunno. People want samaritan level but I don't think we'll see that in actual gameplay anytime soon.

teh_pwn

Imo uncharted, rage, galaxy and gta ice are all amazing. Even pgr4 still holds up. I honestly don't think there's much room to grow. Refine yes but I dunno. People want samaritan level but I don't think we'll see that in actual gameplay anytime soon.

GTA + Ice requires about the same amount of hardware as that demo from what I hear. GTA on PC is horribly unoptimized.

artist

Banned
Each ARE about 3x. These are facts, don't make stuff up. Leave that to IGN, which is after all part of News Corp which are masters at making stuff up.
6950: 3050
6670: 1226
Note: These benches don't scale with multi-gpu or crossfire, but are pretty accurate for single gpu comparisons.

6990 total system power at stress load is (which is two 6950 on a single board): 545 Watts. They can hire a team of electrical and computer engineers to design a custom board that leverages 28 nm, downclocks 20%, and hits 350 W for a launch, and rev it to <200 Watts just like 360 did.

Here's Battlefield 3 at high settings and real 1080p. 6990 gets 65 fps, 6670 isn't even listed because it's shit. The 5850 is quite a bit faster and it is 25.6 fps. If you interpolate based on videocardbenchmarks having the 5850 2x the 6670, then the 6670 would render at about 12.5 fps. Welcome to next gen.

Crossfire gets about 0.9x efficiency. Thus 5x faster than a single 6670.
6990 in the next Xbox, not enough facepalms in the world for this thought.

Oh and while we're discussing TDPs ..

ibqCATC6tDxExg.PNG

Something like a custom design based off of Pitcairn sounds the max I think will be the internal ceiling for both Microsoft and Sony. In other words, willing to take a bet we wont see anything nearly as powerful as the 6990/590 in the next gen consoles.

Aroo

Neo Member
Thinking most of you are throwing out multipliers without context. In addition, too many comparisons to PC tech progression concerning the next xbox. The graphics pumped out of 6670 when specifically programmed for will be completely different than a computer game meant to run on several configurations.

In addition, the 6670 realistically, will not be the exact chip in there either.

teh_pwn

6990 in the next Xbox, not enough facepalms in the world for this thought.

Oh and while we're discussing TDPs ..

ibqCATC6tDxExg.PNG

Something like a custom design based off of Pitcairn sounds the max I think will be the internal ceiling for both Microsoft and Sony. In other words, willing to take a bet we wont see anything nearly as powerful as the 6990/590 in the next gen consoles.

Edit: I didn't mean to suggest that a 6990 would go into the next xbox, although I could see how that might be inferred. I was refuting the comment that a 6950 isn't 3x faster than a 6670.

I think we'll see a 28 nm version of something that performs around the 6950. such that total system power is < 300 Watts.

artist

Banned
I never suggested that a 6990 would go into the next xbox. I was refuting the comment that a 6950 isn't 3x faster than a 6670.

I think we'll see a 28 nm version of something that performs around the 6950.
Hmm..
6990 total system power at stress load is (which is two 6950 on a single board): 545 Watts. They can hire a team of electrical and computer engineers to design a custom board that leverages 28 nm, downclocks 20%, and hits 350 W for a launch, and rev it to <200 Watts just like 360 did.

people need to stop taking the chip as being exact, we're looking at modified hardware and likely custom designed for specific strengths, it's not going to be an off the shelf gpu.

Also what are the chances that if it's an SOC that they can a share an edram pool, and a relatively large one at that? and would there be any major benefits.

AlStrong

PC gamers should be praying that console developers target 720p.

That's probably not so far fetched a path for devs to take, especially as the generation drags on. I'm not inclined to think 720p is particularly awful in itself, especially backed up by MSAA; 4xMSAA is certainly much easier to achieve due to how the ROPs are setup plus there's no increase in shading or texturing - you'd just need to be wary of the memory requirements.

It's pretty clear what higher resolution brings to the table, but it's all about compromises and trade-offs in the end, and the decisions will be made case-by-case anyway just as every game will have its own peculiar performance patterns or artistic goals etc.

But for PC gaming considerations, there are already a number of shading effects that can more easily be scaled up just by changing a few key parameters (# of light probes, sampling rates, render target formats etc), so maybe it won't be as dependent upon or limited by the console as previous generations. e.g. just think how Frostbite 2.0, CryEngine 3, Unreal Engine 3 can go above and beyond the console. The game design will be affected of course, but here I'm just strictly speaking about scalability limitations.

Texture quality is clearly a different matter, but available RAM is perhaps less of an excuse these days considering advances to streaming or virtualized texture management (whatever you want to call it). I'd argue the in-game quality is going to be hampered more by development time, the artists, and the actual storage medium for the games, but I digress. More RAM is always nice to have for other things too.

Microsoft is going to be a bit more conservative with processing power because they know they need to manage heat. They don't want a repeat of the Red Ring Of Death saga that plagued the 360's early years.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: I didn't mean to suggest that a 6990 would go into the next xbox, although I could see how that might be inferred. I was refuting the comment that a 6950 isn't 3x faster than a 6670.

I think we'll see a 28 nm version of something that performs around the 6950. such that total system power is < 300 Watts.
Launch 360 was under 200W.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Microsoft is going to be a bit more conservative with processing power because they know they need to manage heat. They don't want a repeat of the Red Ring Of Death saga that plagued the 360's early years.

360 launched right when people were switching to lead-free solder in anticipation of the EU tin-lead ban. I don't think a lot of people knew then what a mistake that was going to be.

Gotchaye

203W
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware#List_of_revisions

Those are 3 precious, precious Watts.

I'm hoping for 720p now for the sake of PC ports.

PS3 hardware launched at 380W:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware#Configurations

That same page also claims that the PS3 only actually used about 200W. The rest went back into the wall, I imagine, or was only necessary for very brief periods of time at peak use. As I understand it, it's not so much the required power supply which is the limiting factor but rather the heat dissipated (per volume or area, I'd guess), which is going to scale with consumed power. That's also a reason to doubt that the next set of systems will consume more than this set, even though that's been the trend. The 360 and PS3 at launch were about as big and loud as people are willing to accept.

Dalthien

If Microsoft is really serious about making this a full-on set-top media player box, then noise will be a far more limiting factor for MS than RROD. They will want this sucker to be very quiet if they want it to be taken seriously as a household media center.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If Microsoft is really serious about making this a full-on set-top media player box, then noise will be a far more limiting factor for MS than RROD. They will want this sucker to be very quiet if they want it to be taken seriously as a household media center.

Huge fans. Low rpm. Make it like a Gamecube, but bigger overall and have the whole back be one big fan, lol. Definitely use another external power supply.

Dalthien

Huge fans. Low rpm. Make it like a Gamecube, but bigger overall and have the whole back be one big fan, lol.
Ha ha, but that's the other aspect of going for a media-hub. It needs to be quiet, and aesthetically pleasing. In other words, it can't be a behemoth like the original 360.

So it depends if MS wants to focus on high-end gaming, or a set-top media box. There's really no way to go all-out on both aspects.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Re. 'all these rumours', twitter chatter among various journos suggests there's lots of stuff floating around out there, but that some outlets are more trigger happy than others about posting anything that comes there way even if there isn't much verification with other sources etc.

Now, while they are competitors of IGN and Kotaku and 'they would say that', the suggestion seems to be that there may not be a lot behind at least some of what's been posted so far.

I guess as more outlets report things and either corroborate or contradict previous info, we'll be able to converge on a more reliable picture.

BUT JOURNOS/SOURCES, IF YOU ARE LISTENING: no more '2x this', '5x that' please - if you can, just get us straight-up info about the hardware, either in the dev boxes or planned for the final machines. I remember a time when we got relatively detailed spec leaks :\ Having a rough idea of what architecture a GPU will relate to is fine and all, but we can't really derive anything from that. Thanks!

BUT JOURNOS/SOURCES, IF YOU ARE LISTENING: no more '2x this', '5x that' please - if you can, just get us straight-up info about the hardware, either in the dev boxes or planned for the final machines. I remember a time when we got relatively detailed spec leaks :\ Having a rough idea of what architecture a GPU will relate to is fine and all, but we can't really derive anything from that. Thanks!

Yes please! We'll do the math ourselves since its clear neither the journalists or their sources can be relied to know how numbers actually work.

Definitely agree with this. The whole 2x this 5x that is just bullshit and you have no idea what that really means.

Kinda makes all this information pretty meaningless.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The 2x - 5x thing, as meaningless as it may be without any context, is a good way to avoid being too specific. The devs giving out these figures are bound by heavy NDAs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The 2x - 5x thing, as meaningless as it may be without any context, is a good way to avoid being too specific.

Avoiding specifics is also the tactic of rumour-mongerers who're making stuff up :p

They're already breaking NDAs by talking at all about it too.

The problem with the comparison stuff is that any two devs might have a totally different judgment about the difference.

The 2x - 5x thing, as meaningless as it may be without any context, is a good way to avoid being too specific. The devs giving out these figures are bound by heavy NDAs.

Pretty much. If a dev comes out with detailed specs for the latest iteration of the WiiU devkit, Nintendo are going to be able to narrow down the leak to a relative handful of companies. If the same dev just gives a ballpark "X times current gen" or "more powerful than we expected/not as powerful as we expected" it's far less likely to track back.

Detailed spec leaks will likely come later, when final hardware is out.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Avoiding specifics is also the tactic of rumour-mongerers who're making stuff up :p

They're already breaking NDAs by talking at all about it too.

The problem with the comparison stuff is that any two devs might have a totally different judgment about the difference.
Yes, but it's way less serious than leaking out the full target specs or posting curiously blurry pictures of their devkits.

The actual specs will be either revealed in full by the manufacturers (Sony and Microsoft) or will eventually leak over time (Nintendo).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yes, but it's way less serious than leaking out the full target specs or posting curiously blurry pictures of their devkits.

Fair enough. But maybe something more...consistent? Or some clearer indication without actually going into low level detail?

Saying '6x' 360 and 'akin to a 6670 - but different' is sort of really vague. They could, for example, just flat up tell us what PC chip, hardware wise, it is closest aligned to. The '6x 360' bit, as pointed out by others, doesn't really jive with it being similar to a 6670 performance wise, so it leaves us to think it's something architecturally similar to a 6670 but...what is it closer to performance wise?

Or is the 6x bit just a different comparison, not a straight, paper comparison?

They could be clearer and more specific without giving us details that would let MS identify a mole.

Goodlife

Must be honest, I'm amazed the specs aren't out on the net already.

These dev kits have been sent to lots of companies, with lots of employees at those companies having access to them.

There must be a few disgruntled employees out there who wouldn't give a sh*t about their company getting into trouble or them losing their jobs.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Fair enough. But maybe something more...consistent? Or some clearer indication without actually going into low level detail?

Saying '6x' 360 and 'akin to a 6670 - but different' is sort of really vague. They could, for example, just flat up tell us what PC chip, hardware wise, it is closest aligned to. The '6x 360' bit, as pointed out by others, doesn't really jive with it being similar to a 6670 performance wise, so it leaves us to think it's something architecturally similar to a 6670 but...what is it closer to performance wise?

Or is the 6x bit just a different comparison, not a straight, paper comparison?

They could be clearer and more specific without giving us details that would let MS identify a mole.
Oh, I agree. I was just saying they're probably not being too specific to cover their arses, in case things start to get hot.
Something clearer would of course be preferable.

Must be honest, I'm amazed the specs aren't out on the net already.

These dev kits have been sent to lots of companies, with lots of employees at those companies having access to them.

There must be a few disgruntled employees out there who wouldn't give a sh*t about their company getting into trouble or them losing their jobs.

Early dev kits usually don't mention hardware specs, just targets on a PC (witha warning that everything can still change).

A lot of people seem to underestimate the power difference. Even imagine how Skyrim would look/play at 2x the power. 8 to 10 times faster is already very impressive IMHO.

wsippel

Banned
Both are making the rounds as well, though (talking about the Wii U here, of course). There have been some substantial and plausible rumors/ leaks, but they get drowned out by the "x times more powerful, x % less powerful" bullshit.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Both are making the rounds as well, though (talking about the Wii U here, of course). There have been some substantial and plausible rumors/ leaks, but they get drowned out by the "x times more powerful, x % less powerful" bullshit.
To be fair, percentages and multiples are also easier to understand even though they're far less useful and substantial. So it's not surprising they get parroted much more on internet forums.

freddy

Banned
Some of these media outlets just regurgitate forum trend talk as news pieces, add an "unnamed source" and rely on those very same forums to generate a reliable amount of hits. "X times more powerful" is just the latest flavour.

wsippel

Banned
To be fair, percentages and multiples are also easier to understand even though they're far less useful and substantial. So it's not surprising they get parroted much more on internet forums.
Certainly. But they're also incredibly vague. Would overclocking a 360 by exactly 100% make it 2x a 360? Sure, if you only consider computational performance. But what about the amount of RAM? The system is twice as fast, but is it twice as powerful?

And what about the featureset? Would supporting SM4.1 instead of SM3.0 factor in? It increases the capabilities and visibly effects the games, but it has no direct impact on computational performance.

I'm all for making complex issues easy to understand, but I don't really think that's even remotely possible here.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Certainly. But they're also incredibly vague. Would overclocking a 360 by exactly 100% make it 2x a 360? Sure, if you only consider computational performance. But what about the amount of RAM? The system is twice as fast, but is it twice as powerful?

And what about the featureset? Would supporting SM4.1 instead of SM3.0 factor in? It increases the capabilities and visibly effects the games, but it has no direct impact on computational performance.

I'm all for making complex issues easy to understand, but I don't really think that's even remotely possible here.
Agreed 100%.

I'm sure this has already been answered, but I cant seem to find the answer. Just how much more power does the 360 have over the original XBOX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom