• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

I've already convinced myself that a lot of gaming sites either don't play games fully or rush through games on a lot of reviews. So I'm not THAT surprised.

striKeVillain! said:
That's what's so horrible about this. The weight that an IGN score carries in the gaming community is devastating to a game like this. :(

Ugh - so unprofessional. The writer should be fired on the spot.

Totally agree, at least it must be re-reviewed with a mention of what happened. The PJ guys are getting screwed with a review that is worse than the user reviews on metacritic.

Big-E

Not surprised. Sites do this thing which is why I have never taken the word of a review seriously in years. When RFOM first came out, Eurogamer mentioned weapons in the multiplayer that didn't exist and when they re reviewed the game for European release they mentioned it again. The first one could have been explained by earlier code but not the second.

IGN really needs to be banned with the amount of shady shit that goes on there.
It's not just an isolated incident with one reviewer, but seems to be across the whole company.
Its starting to make more sense with the amount of recent people jumping ship from IGN and going to other outlets and companies showing they have more integrity than the people who stayed.

Yeah, the least he could do is post a retraction instead of trying to just cut a few lines. If it were something minor, it wouldn't be a big deal, but in the unedited version, he emphasizes how short it is, so part of the reasoning in his critique is no longer justified (I guess depending on how long the "epic" final level is). Really shady and kind of stupid to think it could just be edited out afterward without notice.

Apath

I fail to even see the point of these threads anymore. Everyone already knows that IGN is complete shit outside of their SC2 coverage. We should just have an OT dedicated to IGN and their fuck ups.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Cipherr said:
I can understand them doing it on an easy difficulty considering the number of games they have to try and play through.

However, just dont lie about the shit. I mean cmon man. Jesus.
If he doesn't have time to play through a game that "is a matter of minutes instead of hours" (in his own words) on Normal, a difficulty level that is two below the hardest, then maybe he should choose another job.

Brazil said:
A few days ago? ... That's from 2009, man.

Heh, I meant years. Gravijah is probably right about this happening a lot more often than we think. We know that it happened with GTAIV reviews. Of course we didn't find out that it was happening until a month after GTAIV was released.

NateDrake

I tip my hate to Mr. DC for calling him out on all accounts. You sir are the man. (Great work on Starfox 3DS by the way)

Lactose_Intolerant said:
How can people put a game on casual/easy difficulty then review it. I know this time of year there are tons of titles to review but that still seems unacceptable. Then again, I don't read reviews for the most part so I'm not their audience.
Who cares what difficulty they play on, as long as they don't lie about it?

Best thing was when IGN gave football manager 2/10 with a review pretty much saying "This is not fifa or pro evolution soccer, why would anyone want to manage a team instead of playing the football?" all the way through. They removed it later and apologized. IGN UK gave it 9.1/10.

Empty

i don't think this is a huge deal other than daemon being hilariously lame enough to lie about it for the hardcore credibility. a review on easy is valid, though maybe the stages wouldn't feel short if he'd played them on the average difficulty and the review should say that rather than covering it up. i'm more offended that the review doesn't tell me much at all about how the game feels or how good the level design is.

Shurs

The problem isn't that he completed the game on casual.

The problem is that he played the game on casual and then complained about how quickly the game is over. If you're gonna go there, you have to play it on the default difficulty level. Or, in the very least. admit to playing it on casual.

Then again, I'm not really into extending a game because I have to restart a level over and over again.

As for the score, he probably disliked the game to the point where he just wanted to soldier through it, so I don't think the score is invalid.

IMACOMPUTA

Occupy game reviews.

Seriously. Something needs to change. This is all such bullshit recently.
Nuke it. Start over. Kill metacritic. Kill score based systems. Fire shitheads.

How do these journalists even get jobs man? You're going to tell the creator of the game that you beat a game on normal that he just clearly says wasn't beaten on normal. Then stealth edit the review. I mean... wow... If that's not grounds for questioning the integrity of IGN I don't know what is.

DonMigs85

Years ago I remember that Gamepro played through a pre-release copy of Ocarina of Time and probably didn't finish it for their review - the first heart piece was on top of the Kokiri shop.

kassatsu

Banned
The real kicker is beating it on the other difficulty levels unlock content, be it visual filters and the true final stage.

Takao

Banned
The scummy part is him lying, and the editors removing that part of the text (without a "we done goofed" apology somewhere) not so much the playing on easy mode.

watershed

Banned
So can we agree then that IGN is a joke and any score from them be it a 10 for your favorite game or a 6.5 for a game they didn't actually play is pretty meaningless?

LQX

Casual or easy should be the default for reviews as I bet that's difficulty most people play at. Either way he should not have lied or even have to defend playing on a easier setting.

Kazerei

Banned
While we're at it, I remember the EGM review of Tales of Symphonia mentioned you get the fastest mode of transportation "late in the game". But that point is actually only ~60% of the way through. Let's just say the stuff happens, and the story doesn't end when you think it's going to end, heh. But I can understand a mistake like that, because it's a good ~50 hour RPG.

That EGM review also complained about lack of save circles, but it's not actually a problem because you can save anywhere on the world map. I don't think they realized that >_>

Top Bottom