• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN"s exclusive trailer is Dead Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

Trailer
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/16/dead-island-announcement-trailer
youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

Preview
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1150368p1.html
Dead Island sounds familiar to you, then you have a good memory. It was originally announced in 2007, but no publisher was officially attached. Techland worked on other projects in the years since, but Dead Island was slowly shuffling along in the background. Now, Deep Silver is on board, and the game seems likely to see the light of day. It's scheduled for a 2011 release on Xbox 360, PC and PS3, but no specific dates have been revealed yet.

Dead Island's concept is striking. Place players on a tropical island; surround them with zombies of varying shapes, sizes, speeds and abilities; place only found objects at their disposal; degrade their weapons over time; and set the whole adventure against a backdrop of mystery and drama. But will a first-person melee combat action game with RPG elements really work?

The Royal Palms Resort is perched on the remote island of Banoi in Papua New Guinea. It's a tropical paradise turned tourist magnet, remote and exotic. Not the sort of place you'd expect to find scattered caches of weapons, boxes of grenades, rocket launchers leaning against walls, and mounted machine guns. In an effort to preserve that reality, Techland, the developers of Dead Island, have stripped those handy gaming conventions away, leaving a stark reality in their place.

Rather than run-and-gun their way through a meat maze, players will be forced to scavenge for objects and use them to beat their undead foes into submission. There are precious few firearms scattered around the island (and even less ammo), so the majority of the combat will be intimate. Knives, machetes, bats, broomsticks, pipes – these are your defenses against the horde of infected monsters. It's survival horror with a melee action twist, and it's disgusting.

http://www.facebook.com/deadislandgame?sk=info
Release date
Description
- first-person melee combat
- 4-player coop
- weapon customization
- set on an open world tropical island
- RPG elements for character development
- hordes of gruesome zombies
General information
Dead Island combines first-person action with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customization of a vast array of weapons. All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to 4 players in co-op mode.
Products
Developed for Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.
Website
http://www.deadisland.com

Screenshots
dead-island-2011021506m7th.jpg

dead-island-2011021506m7ek.jpg

dead-island-2011021506t792.jpg

dead-island-2011021506q7v4.jpg

dead-island-2011021506e7q1.jpg

dead-island-2011021506f7m2.jpg

dead-island-2011021506c7vw.jpg

dead-island-2011021506m7xo.jpg

Karram

I was wondering what happened to that game not a long time ago.

EDIT Trailer is so boring but kinda reminds me of Lost.

Ya don't say.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Since nobody reads I made a list of all the notable games it's confirmed NOT to be:

Beyond Good and Evil 2
Colonial Marines
Hitman 5
Episode 3
Metroid Dread
Thief 4
Starhawk
Max Payne 3
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Duke Nukem Forever
Spec Ops: The Line
Eight Days
Agent
Prey 2
Doom 4
Jade Empire 2
Dead Island
I Am Alive
Skyrim
Syndicate
Wardevil
Dragon Quest X
StarCraft Ghost

And he even said that he'd put money on nobody getting it which means nobody was close at this point (post 132)

Ah well, I won't hold it against IGN's editors for being dishonest as I am genuinely excited about this game.

Stitch

Gold Member
Oh my god it's not dead. Now let's hope that it's actually good. lol

edit: mh no gameplay but still a cool trailer

LiK

awesome trailer. i liked the editing.

btw, never heard of this game or its original announcement.

Looks awesome. I hope it actually keeps it's word on the things they said about the game. The trailer was awesome, I'm really glad this is alive.

StuBurns

Banned
The trailer really wasn't even very good, I got an advertisement before it, and pop-ups which almost never happens... Fuck you IGN.

aegies

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Ya don't say.

Ah well, I won't hold it against IGN's editors for being dishonest as I am genuinely excited about this game.

I didn't see it mentioned when I posted originally. I've contacted the two people I saw mention the game first RE: money where my mouth is, etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I actually really liked the trailer as a standalone entity but it did nothing to actually get me excited about the game. It was basically just an entertaining little short.

shwimpy

Never heard of it... Wiki says:

Dead Island is a survival horror first-person shooter with RPG elements, currently in development by Techland for Microsoft Windows and Xbox 360.
I'm guessing the PC version will be eventually canceled. =(
The game features a sandbox style gameplay on a tropical island.
The zombie style and the story are massively influenced by George A Romero's movies.
The game is focused on melee combat, the player can pick up almost anything and use it as a weapon.
There might be multiple playable characters.
Sounds like Left4Dead on an island. =/

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Ya don't say.

it's like Filthie Rich of namco putting up ToV into the blurred image and say it was ToGF warped in a way to look like it.

GeoramA

shwimpy said:
Never heard of it... Wiki says:

The IGN article says 360, PS3, and PC.

Guevara

Good trailer.

The music and backwards action feels like a car insurance commercial.

"Allstate, like it never even happened"

shwimpy said:

Why? It's not published my MS. Also it is said to be an open world game with a focus on melee combat. Going by the other stuff they have done and the trailer it also seems like it will be very story focused.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So, Dead Rising: Island Vacation Edition? Sounds kinda neat I guess, I'm assuming you'll be able to drive around and stuff. I will remain cautiously optimistic until I see gameplay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom