• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Sean Murray Says No Man's Sky Isn't Finished 'By a Long Shot'

tassletine

?!? I mean they haven't sold a single DLC...

you buy the game once and get everything from release until now... I'm unsure what there game plan is outside of "sell a copy to a new player"

Compare this to say Minecraft which is filled with tons of DLC and MTX packs... if there goal was purely money based they would have charged for something by now.
Doesn’t mean they had or have a goal. Since the beginning all they’ve done is stuff various systems in and see what gels.

The reason they haven’t sold DLC is because they would have been slaughtered. They released an unfinished game that should have been far cheaper at launch — And since they have made millions on this, demonstrably their plan is working.

I don’t dislike the game at all, it’s very chilled and there is some cool stuff there but the dishonest way it was sold, and the redemption arc that the developers are indulging in is bullshit. I understand that some people adore push and pull social interaction with multimillion dollar companies, but it rings utterly false to me. Give me competence and a clear plan any day, not cheesy smiles, surprises and promises. I hate soap opera.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Doesn’t mean they had or have a goal. Since the beginning all they’ve done is stuff various systems in and see what gels.

The reason they haven’t sold DLC is because they would have been slaughtered. They released an unfinished game that should have been far cheaper at launch — And since they have made millions on this, demonstrably their plan is working.

I don’t dislike the game at all, it’s very chilled and there is some cool stuff there but the dishonest way it was sold, and the redemption arc that the developers are indulging in is bullshit. I understand that some people adore push and pull social interaction with multimillion dollar companies, but it rings utterly false to me. Give me competence and a clear plan any day, not cheesy smiles, surprises and promises. I hate soap opera.

No Man's Sky was released in 2016 are you telling me their game plan to fuck over the consumer is to develop a game for over half a decade, ask for nothing but the entry price, and the pull a 180 and fuck everyone over suddenly?

Wait... you do know Hello Games are an indie studio right? Like with 25 people, there not some established GAAS giant with thousands of staff and multiple teams pushing Games as a Service...

You do see the disconnect here between what your saying and what has actually happened since the monumental failure of a launch right?.

I can understand people hating on the game due to its launch, but with everything that's happened since just dousent add up to that end goal.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

For those mentioning it doesn't have a narrative, I was under the impression it does have a story arc now? Last time I tried playing it was 2-3 years ago, but the beginning definitely seemed to have more "story" elements. Although I didn't get too far(probably explored 10 planets or so).

I do need to try this again though.

MaKTaiL

For those mentioning it doesn't have a narrative, I was under the impression it does have a story arc now? Last time I tried playing it was 2-3 years ago, but the beginning definitely seemed to have more "story" elements. Although I didn't get too far(probably explored 10 planets or so).

I do need to try this again though.
There is a 30h campaign that was included 3 years ago.

treemk

Banned
It's currently not ranked on XBox Live Most Played (Top 50) and it's #116 on Steamcharts.

"You could spend hundreds of hours doing nothing else than building bases." You could also spend hundreds of hours watching paint dry. If the game isn't engaging enough, very few will actually do it.

I maintain that No Mans Sky has loads of potential that it's not living up to. Sean Murray may agree.
I've spent a good amount of time, probably 200+ hours and it is fun. Like every other game it's not for everyone, but with each major update I get 20+ hours of fun plus the expeditions they've added are fun. Considering it's still priced at $60 and goes on sale for $30 they game is probably doing great and getting enough sales to fund continued development.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don't consider #116 on Steamcharts as "doing fine" for a GAAS title with as much potential that NMS has.

I wouldn't be shocked if the game skyrocketed in popularity over the next few years provided they're smart about their updates. God of War and Forza Horizon have no such potential.
Is it a GAAS? There is no service, you buy it once and you have it all. I’d say it’s really just a game with industry-leading post-launch support that people has kept playing for years. Could be compared to anything.

I don’t deny that it still has potential to be bigger. They just need to find the right angle to sell it to those who are sceptic.

One thing that bothers me is the delay timers when you do some bigger crafting, like in the settlement. I guess the idea is that it should make me go explore and do other stuff while waiting but I just quit the game and keep playing some other time. It’s a broken mechanic. They need to fix that. If I have already decided that this is the game I should play this evening then I don’t want to be pushed away by a timer. Really annoying.

Flintty

Most other devs would have binned this off within a year or two. Fair play to HG, they're smashing it. I've been happy with the game since several patches ago, but it just keeps getting better.
I can see MS sticking in a bid for HG at some point, with the intention of treating the game as a platform, the way they did Minecraft.

Jaybe

Give a read for another side of Hello Games / Sean

Last edited:

benno

[IGN] Sean Murray Says No Man's Sky Isn't Finished 'By a Long Shot'​

I agree 100%. It still doesn't resemble the first promo video.

tassletine

Give a read for another side of Hello Games / Sean
I don’t dislike the man at all, people are complex so I don‘t really need to see another side of him. He’s involved with Sony, there’s a lot of pressure there and lots we will never know.

I just loathe the external soap opera that certain titles push on us — NMS, LOU2, Cyberpunk Etc. It’s almost always due to the developer overcompensating or hiding something. Trying to get us caught up in the hype and drama for a game and an external story that draws people in rather than the game it’s self. It smacks of a lack of confidence in their own product (but not in their bullshit skills) and is shifty behaviour as far as I’m concerned. Not something that should be encouraged.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There is a 30h campaign that was included 3 years ago.

It’s pretty dull though. Lots of flying about to read a few paragraphs of writing, before flying somewhere else to read some more paragraphs. It’s not a compelling narrative at all. That’s the thing that needs a proper overhaul.

tassletine

No Man's Sky was released in 2016 are you telling me their game plan to fuck over the consumer is to develop a game for over half a decade, ask for nothing but the entry price, and the pull a 180 and fuck everyone over suddenly?

Wait... you do know Hello Games are an indie studio right? Like with 25 people, there not some established GAAS giant with thousands of staff and multiple teams pushing Games as a Service...

You do see the disconnect here between what your saying and what has actually happened since the monumental failure of a launch right?.

I can understand people hating on the game due to its launch, but with everything that's happened since just dousent add up to that end goal

I can understand people hating on the game due to its launch, but with everything that's happened since just dousent add up to that end goal.

Please don't be naive. Despite their immature image these aren't children but experienced adults working millions of dollars and a beast of a company. Hello have advisers, lawyers and various coaches to help them handle this and Sony would have insisted on certain things. Reams of data that would show them if their strategy, or lack of one would have been effective.

Lets say this is his genuine persona -- He's been living with it for over thirty years now and is well aware of what he's doing, how he can charm people, and how his actions affect others.
If he was a kid I'd feel different but I have to judge him by his actions as an adult. I don't see it as him being generous keeping the game alive -- I see him as having no other choice because he royally fucked up. Then the money came in an showed him that what he did worked so he's continuing with it.

I haven't played the game in over a year, but every time I come back I can't find an actual game to play. You need a plan to finish something and I haven't seen anything of the sort here.
It's a sandbox game but it appears that the developers feel that way too and are just playing in it.

My post was more aimed at his comment on it being nowhere near finished -- Which is hilarious in context given how incomplete it was at launch.

I don't actually hate the title and have spent hours wandering around, it's good that way. I just don't think it's a AAA title and should never have been sold as such. I hate the precedent games like this set.
If a finished game had this much after launch support THAT would be something I would be down for.

MaKTaiL

It’s pretty dull though. Lots of flying about to read a few paragraphs of writing, before flying somewhere else to read some more paragraphs. It’s not a compelling narrative at all. That’s the thing that needs a proper overhaul.
I completely disagree but to each their own.

Top Bottom