• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Senior Writer blames Don Mattrick for current Xbox Situation!?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Obligatory:
ryan.png

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"High on Life was the most played title on Xbox Game Pass during the week of its release, and was the fourth most played title on the Xbox platform overall, and was hailed as a "breakout hit" by Xbox VP of Marketing Aaron Greenberg. It also became the top selling game on Steam.[29]"

I think there was also info that it was biggest third party launch in history of gamepass.
People laughed at me when I said HOL helped GP break a new record for users last month. The game went viral and it absolutely did help.

Ryan is taking crap (the shock) The issue with exclusives and lack of In-House investment started under Robbie Bach. When MS looked to outsoruce more and not make exclibvde deals with the likes of Team Ninja and Fromsoftware and allowed XBox IP like Mass Effect to go Multi.

Just a year ago people were talking about how Xbox is set to continue to be a big player in the future, now its doom and gloom. Relax, they're still in a good position...leader in cloud, most studios for a publisher, and still outpacing their previous generation. They were never going to beat sony in box sales even if sold for 1$, what they are working towards is still succeeding and last year was poor in terms of games, this year should be better. Everyone on both sides are so over dramatic, but it gets conversations so I'm not mad at it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Was Don the reason there weren't any big first party game last year? For stuff he did 10 years ago??
He was actually he left the division in such bad shape the parent company left them in limbo for years with no budget and hardly any studios. It was not until 2018 the division got any money for studios and those were except playground and Obsidian were small purchases of AA studios who needed capital to grow. So 2018 plus 5 years meant Microsoft was going to have issues to start the generation.

Freeza93

Banned
And still doesn't address the other mistakes: Kinect, pricing, used games.
It does. Ok kinect not.

I also will never understand the ceo bashing and obsession in here. Look in the mirror ask yourselfes can i trash a ceo for no good reason. I mean what did you guys achieve. Also they have 1000 of people behind them.

I dont get it, should be about games not dorks of twitter with their brain diarrhea

Topher

Gold Member
It feels weird listening to everyone shit on Microsoft, when I've never played an Xbox console more than the Series X.

I'm kind of the same. I'm enjoying Xbox more than I have since 360 days. But I can say that and at the same time recognize the issues. What I don't get is this nonsense McCaffrey is yapping as if all the problems facing Xbox are due to them being victims of circumstance. That's a bit absurd.

Only for the studio but not when bemoaning poor cursed Xbox. If it were Forza or Halo or any first party game like Sea of Thieves, Steam sales would qualify.

The game wasn’t a hit critically or sales wise (on Xbox).
I guess. It was way more popular on gamepass than people thought it would be - but you could argue that doesn’t count

Maverick074

Banned
Remember when Don Mattrick said the Xbox One wasn't for poor people lol

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get a form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360."

diffusionx

Gold Member
It does. Ok kinect not.

I also will never understand the ceo bashing and obsession in here. Look in the mirror ask yourselfes can i trash a ceo for no good reason. I mean what did you guys achieve. Also they have 1000 of people behind them.

I dont get it, should be about games not dorks of twitter with their brain diarrhea
Trying to rehabilitate Don Mattrick is a fool’s errand. The entire premise of the Xbox One was fatally flawed and only came about because of Mattrick and the Xbox leadership’s blinkered thinking at the time.

This includes their DRM/digital system - the fact that years later customers transferred to digital, in a completely different way from the Xbox One proposal, is NOT evidence that the Xbox One proposal was smart or ahead of its time! It’s just evidence that the Xbox One proposal was BAD and they could eventually get to where they wanted to go in a much more customer friendly way, which they did.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Don Mattrick started the downfall but Phil Spencer has failed to fix the issues. First party output has been abysmal under Phil.

With all their resources and studios there is no reason why Xbox shouldn’t have 2-3 major exclusives coming out each year. No reason.

Sure they bought all these studios but I have zero confidence that they will flourish under the Microsoft umbrella. Zero.

demigod

He was actually he left the division in such bad shape the parent company left them in limbo for years with no budget and hardly any studios. It was not until 2018 the division got any money for studios and those were except playground and Obsidian were small purchases of AA studios who needed capital to grow. So 2018 plus 5 years meant Microsoft was going to have issues to start the generation.
No budget yet they were able to buy mojang, gears ip. With that money they could've bought/made over 10 insomniac studios.

10 years and spencer couldn't right the ship. It only took Kaz Hirai how long, 2-3 years?

Freeza93

Banned
Trying to rehabilitate Don Mattrick is a fool’s errand. The entire premise of the Xbox One was fatally flawed and only came about because of Mattrick and the Xbox leadership’s blinkered thinking at the time.

This includes their DRM/digital system - the fact that years later customers transferred to digital, in a completely different way from the Xbox One proposal, is NOT evidence that the Xbox One proposal was smart or ahead of its time! It’s just evidence that the Xbox One proposal was BAD and they could eventually get to where they wanted to go in a much more customer friendly way, which they did.
ms is only consumer friendly as long as they play catching up. Sony is absolutely anti consumer since they led the last generation. Its always the same.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think you definatly have him to blame for a lot of things like Xbox stopping marketing with Call of duty and things like that. Also releasing underpowered hardware that was more expensive.

It hurt the brand of Xbox and it’s gonna take a while to build up again. He killed all the goodness that the 360 had and killed it with TV TV TV.

The brand slowly getting better but Sony has pulled so far ahead and for good reason. Sony released great games and solid hardware

dirtyarcade

Neo Member
I've been a Playstation first gamer since like 1997. I've owned all Xbox's as well, though I skipped the Xbox last generation until late 2018 when I bought a One X off a friend.

That said, I was drawn to the Series X this gen ever since the Game Awards reveal. I just loved the way it looked. I still got a PS5 on launch and didn't get the Series X until mid-2021.

I'm fully aware of Xbox's shortcomings at the moment, but all things considered, I still find myself booting up my Series X WAY more than the PS5, and honestly I'm not even sure why. I think for me, a lot of the draw Playstation has at the moment for its first party exclusives is somewhat lost on me as I've sort of fallen out of love with 3rd person action adventure narrative heavy games as I've gotten older. When I finally have time to sit down and play a game, I want to PLAY a game, not stare at 2 hours of cutscenes with tiny sections of gameplay (looking at you Ragnarok).

I find the Xbox UI to be more engaging than the Playstation UI. Quick Resume is such a game changer for me as well. I'm currently playing through RDR2 for the first time after having dropped it in 2018 when my son was born. Being able to pause the game, jump out and play another game with friends, then jump back into RDR2 without having to boot the game back up again is pretty big for me. RDR2 used to have those long ass loading screens that would make the game feel like such a slog to play, but that's no longer an issue with quick resume, and that's really really nice to have. Couple that with Discord integration (hurry tf up Sony!) where I like to often sit in my server's VC while my friends (console and PC alike) hop in and out to say whats up is a pretty cool experience. It's also nice when we crossplay games with our PC friends.

All this to say, it feels weird to read all this doom and gloom over Xbox the last few months when the reality of the situation is that, for me at least, if I had to choose between the PS5 or SX as my only console going forward, it'd be really hard to part ways with the SX.

I do want MS to get their act together and start stringing together a nice period of exclusive game releases, but also, since most of what I play is 3rd party anyway, I think a lot of that vitriol is sort of lost on me.

If MS have another down year where either more exclusives get delayed again, or worse, the exclusives come out and they suck, I can totally see myself gravitating back to the PS5 (FFXVI anyone?) but for now, I'm just a silent bystander in these console wars. I go where the best, complete gaming experience is, and for now, that's on Xbox in my opinion.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Knew this was going to be Ryan before the page even loaded lol.

What MS is dealing with is not entirely unique. Sony dropped the ball with the PS3 and Nintendo with both the Game Cube AND WiiU. Both recovered by the subsequent gen.

Mattrick left almost 10 years ago now, you can't blame today's Xbox underachievements on him. They've had plenty of time to recover and set themselves up for success. They have been mismanaged and risk averse for too long, and that's on today's leadership.

diffusionx

Gold Member
ms is only consumer friendly as long as they play catching up. Sony is absolutely anti consumer since they led the last generation. Its always the same.
I don’t know what “consumer friendly” and “anti consumer” mean. I have a PS5, it has good games, the system software and services are maintained, they add features, I can get games at reasonable prices, Sony releases good games at a regular cadence.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Nowadays we can't blame him, but basically the whole Xbox One shitty life was his fault

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nowadays we can't blame him, but basically the whole Xbox One shitty life was his fault
I think most sane people can admit that Jim Ryan is coasting on the successes built in late PS3 and PS4 right now to a large degree.

But try to argue that Spencer is somewhat influenced by basically not even having a last gen, and you're crazy.

It's literally the same argument. One didn't scrap their entire 1st party division, and the other did.

Last edited:
Ryan mcaffery is the biggest microsoft apologist out there . Never forget alien isolation 5.9

You obviously know nothing about Ryan McCaffery.

It's just the warriors on neogaf, some literally can't contain themselves with the bad news and negativity that's been happening lately with Xbox.

It also happens in Sony bad news threads too sadly, both sides have a couple of members that enjoy taking shots at each other & can not wait to try dunk on each other.
It is natural to want to 'both sides' each situation but there are not an equal number of people on each side so the responses are no where equal either. Acceptance is really the only thing you can do.

On topic no one is blaming Don Mattrick for anything happening at Xbox today.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
People laughed at me when I said HOL helped GP break a new record for users last month. The game went viral and it absolutely did help.
Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ We just got 1000 new members yesterday. Can you not be a total retard and not make this place a cesspool?

If you disagree with me, can you explain why? I genuinely don't understand what your issue is. HOL was the biggest third party game ever on GP. The same month they hit a new high for users on GP. All I said is that the game helped. Can you explain with actual words why this is hilarious to you?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
I don’t know what “consumer friendly” and “anti consumer” mean. I have a PS5, it has good games, the system software and services are maintained, they add features, I can get games at reasonable prices, Sony releases good games at a regular cadence.
If you dont even know that theres no point to talk further.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ We just got 1000 new members yesterday. Can you not be a total retard and not make this place a cesspool?

If you disagree with me, can you explain why? I genuinely don't understand what your issue is. HOL was the biggest third party game ever on GP. The same month they hit a new high for users on GP. All I said is that the game helped. Can you explain with actual words why this is hilarious to you?

Thank you.

It's pointless to try to engage with Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ . Logic/rationality doesn't apply. Biggest fanboy on these forums, and that's saying something.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's pointless to try to engage with Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ . Logic/rationality doesn't apply. Biggest fanboy on these forums, and that's saying something.
His actual comments really aren't that bad lol. I just legitimately don't even know why my post would be funny. It's actually pretty boring. Large launch for a game helped a large month for GP. Pretty logical and uncontroversial ...

Is it funny that I liked the game? I did. 🤷‍♂️

Topher

Gold Member
His actual comments really aren't that bad lol. I just legitimately don't even know why my post would be funny. It's actually pretty boring. Large launch for a game helped a large month for GP. Pretty logical and uncontroversial ...

Is it funny that I liked the game? I did. 🤷‍♂️

Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ 's emoji selection is as predictable as the phases of the moon. I think he enjoys the notoriety, frankly.

supernova8

Banned
I dunno the "Don Mattrick curse" thing at the end seemed like a light-hearted dig more than anything else.... and now we have two pages of nonsense hot-takes

Last edited:
It’s not meant to be serious and even if it was, apparently some of you don’t know how curses supposedly work. You can point to lots of valid reasons for why things are the way they are, it doesn’t matter, because of the curse. It’s like the Cubs and the billy goat. Sure, you could point out all kinds of valid reasons why they didn’t win a WS title for a long ass time after the goat was kicked out of the stadium, but it’s just the curse.

Also how in the world is the X|S anything like what Mattrick and his team envisioned for Xbox One in terms of vision and policies? There’s no always online, you can rent and sell your games, buy used games, it’s not underpowered and also not bundled with a worthless camera jacking up the price. Xbox has knocked it out of the park hardware wise (Scorpio, X|S) and policy wise (GamePass, SmartDelivery, Play Anywhere, etc).

Mattrick’s vision was a completely walled off garden where MS and publishers controlled everything. Current Xbox vision is pretty much anything goes and nothing is exclusive or walled off.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I dunno the "Don Mattrick curse" thing at the end seemed like a light-hearted dig more than anything else.... and now we have two pages of nonsense hot-takes

Yeah, I doubt McCaffrey actually believes in curses!

The actual phenomenon is of pure coincidence causing massive damage; think of what happened to Motorstorm Apocalypse having the colossal bad fortune of coming out around the time of the Tohuku earthquake and subsequent tsunami.

Top Bottom