• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Senior Writer blames Don Mattrick for current Xbox Situation!?

anthony2690

Banned
I mean games take years to make, like above said.

Not only that his lack of charisma and bluntness nearly tanked Xbox & literally ruined Xbox's reputation what Phil has been rebuilding, especially in more casual gamers opinion that don't lurk places like gaf, you actually hear positivity about xbox again, where as the Xbox one reveal everyone jumped on the hate train.

That being said it's clearly a joke aimed at Don years later for some reason, I would personally ignore something like this at it just comes across as a really dumb tweet by Ryan imo.

& Not really thread worthy imo.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
zDyABck.jpg

Great reporting Ryan.

anthony2690

Banned
It feels weird listening to everyone shit on Microsoft, when I've never played an Xbox console more than the Series X.
It's just the warriors on neogaf, some literally can't contain themselves with the bad news and negativity that's been happening lately with Xbox.

It also happens in Sony bad news threads too sadly, both sides have a couple of members that enjoy taking shots at each other & can not wait to try dunk on each other.

A little sad, as it feels people seem to enjoy celebrating games turning out bad or underperforming if they are exclusive to a platform that isn't their preferred box.

Glad you're having fun on SX, probably the most I've ever played a system too, hooked on Rise currently :)

kuncol02

Banned
High on Life is a big hit? With its 67 MC score, did it even chart on Xbox?
"High on Life was the most played title on Xbox Game Pass during the week of its release, and was the fourth most played title on the Xbox platform overall, and was hailed as a "breakout hit" by Xbox VP of Marketing Aaron Greenberg. It also became the top selling game on Steam.[29]"

I think there was also info that it was biggest third party launch in history of gamepass.

Kilau

Gold Member
"High on Life was the most played title on Xbox Game Pass during the week of its release, and was the fourth most played title on the Xbox platform overall, and was hailed as a "breakout hit" by Xbox VP of Marketing Aaron Greenberg. It also became the top selling game on Steam.[29]"

I think there was also info that it was biggest third party launch in history of gamepass.
It did really well on player engagement under Gamepass. The accusations of the creator has stalled the positive player press. Very unfortunate for the developers

Ah yes, we don’t measure sales on Xbox but somehow Steam sales count for a non first party game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ryan’s a good guy from everything I have heard from him over the years, but he’s probably too close to the current leadership of Xbox.

Mattrick hasn’t been in Xbox for almost a decade. It is insane to put any of this on him. They have been executing Spencer’s strategy in full for at least 5 years now.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Mattricks only mistake was that he was far ahead of his time.

Sx does almost everything the one failed in.
I remember listening to the Major Nelson podcast immediately after the announcement of the Xbox One drm, but before they backpedaled. The podcast host doubled down on the new policy saying that it would be where the industry was going and to look at the new system in the long term. He wasn’t wrong. Those that are digital only on the Xbox and PS5 have easily adopted the plans that Mattrick came up with for the launch of the Xbox One.

Topher

Gold Member
Mattricks only mistake was that he was far ahead of his time.

Sx does almost everything the one failed in.

Not really. Probably most significant mistake Mattrick made was overpricing Xbox One by forcing Kinect into the box. Next up was the whole used games fiasco which was entirely needless since the industry was moving towards digital anyway. Any of the benefits that could be described as "ahead of its time" were ultimately lost behind the confused madness that was Xbox One.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
Not really. Probably most significant mistake Mattrick made was overpricing Xbox One by forcing Kinect into the box. Next up was the whole used games fiasco. Any of the benefits that could be described as "ahead of its time" were ultimately lost behind the confused madness that was Xbox One.
Read the post above you.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I remember listening to the Major Nelson podcast immediately after the announcement of the Xbox One drm, but before they backpedaled. The podcast host doubled down on the new policy saying that it would be where the industry was going and to look at the new system in the long term. He wasn’t wrong. Those that are digital only on the Xbox and PS5 have easily adopted the plans that Mattrick came up with for the launch of the Xbox One.
Always-online can still suck it

sure blame Mattrick from what a decade ago. Phil has had more then enough time to right the ship but hasn't instead he does bullshit anti-consumer stuff like buying out competition with money instead of fostering their own games.

He has done something right though, he made a cult and a bunch of loyalists and fanboys who defend his every move.

Don Mattrick was bad for MS but Phil is part of that back then and has had more then enough time to make good.

Kilau

Gold Member
Doesn’t steam sales qualify it as a hit though? In the general sense?
Only for the studio but not when bemoaning poor cursed Xbox. If it were Forza or Halo or any first party game like Sea of Thieves, Steam sales would qualify.

The game wasn’t a hit critically or sales wise (on Xbox).

AJUMP23

Gold Member
We have an always online generation now with XBOX. So they did what they said they just didn't talk about it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Mattrick left 10 years ago. Let's for the sake of argument say that Mattrick indeed left the division in shambles [which he didn't, but still]: if 10 years and all the money in the world isn't enough to course-correct and create even the most basic stable first-party pipeline then brother, you have bigger problems than the guy that left 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Salz01

Ryan is a big dope. Who cares what he says. He’s been a Microsoft wannabe for like a decade now and wishes he was the next Frankie.

Mattrick left 10 years ago. Let's for the sake of argument say that Mattrick indeed left the division in shambles [which he didn't, but still]: if 10 years and all the money in the world isn't enough to course-correct and create even the most basic stable first-party pipeline then brother, you have bigger problems than the guy that left 10 years ago.
To put brand destruction in context: the Playstation Network hack happened in 2011. The PS4 launched in 2013 and basically dominated from day 1.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
He is on point. The future is digital. Would mattrick do this today he would succeed. Megacorps know where we are headed(they control it), but you need to hit the right timing.
They also have to 'bring the customer along' and not dictate to them. It has to give the customer the feeling that it is their choice and there is a benefit to it, hence the pivot to Gamepass.

Personally I've been all digital since the start of PS4/XB1 gen, so I wasn't that bothered by the outcry over DRM, it was just how I bought games anyway. Sony were very lucky that MS made such a bold (bad) move and had to pivot, they definitely benefitted from it in terms of goodwill. Ever since MS have been trying everything possible to not appear so 'evil' and have largely done a good job, apart from maybe their choice to only allow SSD expansion through overpriced proprietary sticks.

Ultimately most of Xbox's relative woes are down to the fact that they need to get their internal studios in order and start producing quality consistently. I'm not sure at what point we begin to judge Phil on that?

Top Bottom