• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Seriously, Nintendo, It’s Time to Release a Switch Pro

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’m going out on a limb and saying… you are all crazy.. the next switch will easily be more powerful than the steam deck.

Now to sit and wait for confirmation.. 😎

I can wait.

I'd rather the next Nintendo console be a graphics powerhouse in 2-3 years rather than a mild upgrade next year, as described in this article. 4k on a handheld? Who cares about that? It's so small 99% of people won't be able to tell the difference.
Nah you aren’t getting a graphics powerhouse. Nintendo has released 3 systems in a row that were vastly inferior to current gen systems of the time.

I’m going out on a limb and saying… you are all crazy.. the next switch will easily be more powerful than the steam deck.

when is the last time Nintendo made a new console that wasn't a generation behind? Gamecube is a long ass time ago now

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nah you aren’t getting a graphics powerhouse. Nintendo has released 3 systems in a row that were vastly inferior to current gen systems of the time.

Which is smart to do. Graphical fidelity does not make a great game and chasing that dragon of top tier graphics leads to long development time and poor returns given it will quickly be outdated by the next major AAA game that releases.

The problem with Nintendo is that they released a handheld that was already based on a system that was 5 years old. We are essentially playing on 10 year old hardware at this point with no real "upgrade" or even "partial update" aside from the Oled. We do need something more powerful and hopefully something with a UI that isn't so anemic that it won't be remembered as a great UI. I do miss the style and personality of the Wii and Wii U's UI over the Switch.

Which is smart to do. Graphical fidelity does not make a great game and chasing that dragon of top tier graphics leads to long development time and poor returns given it will quickly be outdated by the next major AAA game that releases.

The problem with Nintendo is that they released a handheld that was already based on a system that was 5 years old. We are essentially playing on 10 year old hardware at this point with no real "upgrade" or even "partial update" aside from the Oled. We do need something more powerful and hopefully something with a UI that isn't so anemic that it won't be remembered as a great UI. I do miss the style and personality of the Wii and Wii U's UI over the Switch.
Base level for the next Switch should be at least on par with PS4/Xbox One but with the ability to hit 60fps consistently. I think that would be most ideal since Nintendo art direction makes for a more simple and less demanding visual output, and would therefore likely look stunning.

when the switch was announced it was the most powerful handheld gaming console. 😎😎

That's because it had no competition. The Tegra was a midrange SOC that was already outdated by 2 years at the Switches launch. If the Switch 2 releases next year, that would make the Switch 1 hardware 9 years old in specs

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't get this mindset, Nintendo don't have some kind of philosophy of doing underpowered hardware, they use whatever is good enough and cheap enough to make a console, of what's available meets their requirements they'll definitely use it.

Steam Deck used AMD, are we sure a SoC compared to the one in the Steam Deck in performance and price won't be cheaper by Nvidia? They have way more powerful chips than that one at same price.

Last edited:
I don't get this mindset, Nintendo don't have some kind of philosophy of doing underpowered hardware, they use whatever is good enough and cheap enough to make a console, of what's available meets their requirements they'll definitely use it.

Steam Deck used AMD, are we sure a SoC compared to the one in the Steam Deck in performance and price won't be cheaper by Nvidia? They have way more powerful chips than that one at same price.
You’re reading far too much into what I said. Read it again but this time only apply the exact thing I said to what I mean. I don’t think Nintendo has some mindset to use weak hardware and I’m not sure how you even thought that up. They use what’s cheap and available and suits their needs, and historically that is very weak hardware that is far inferior to other platforms.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You’re reading far too much into what I said. Read it again but this time only apply the exact thing I said to what I mean. I don’t think Nintendo has some mindset to use weak hardware and I’m not sure how you even thought that up. They use what’s cheap and available and suits their needs, and historically that is very weak hardware that is far inferior to other platforms.
Sorry, maybe I mixed many posts and replied to yours as if replying to all at once lol that's because there are several users claiming it's not possible to Nintendo to do a powerful device, as if they had to underpower their consoles just because they are Nintendo before they go into the market lol this thread op is an example of that

Nintendo should pull that stick out of their ass and listen. No more mediocre hardware and no more "Its the games that count."

Because the games all run like shit!!
And fans accept this and keep buying a glorified midrange tablet with Nintendo branding on it. Idiots, the lot of you.

Stop buying it and MAYBE, MAYBE they'll listen. But dont come here complaining and still buying. You dont have the right to complain!

Nintendo will continue to squeeze another year or two of sales before it starts to really plummet and they'll get all panicky and screw up the next generation of sales by being stingy/greedy the previous generation. It's the boom/bust cycle they've perfected.

Tams

Honestly, I don't care too much of the graphical performance so long as it is noticeably better than the the Switch and at or better the power consumption. Silicon manufacturing advancements should all but assure that.

What I'd like is some interesting features. That could be an eGPU in the dock. But it could also be a second screen (unlikely as the power consumption would be an issue).

Or, what I consider would be the most beneficial and get people's attention: a Wacom EMR pen (same as S Pen). Children love drawing. As do many adults. And Nintendo had it before in the DS and 3DS, and Wii U. People made some great artwork with those relatively simple resistive displays and styluses. No battery or supercapacitor charging to worry about would also be a benefit.

If they could make a cheapish gaming and art machine in one with the best pen technology from the top dog in the art tech hardware space, they could really pull in a crowd. Might even get the console handheld hybrid a slot in schools...

Regginator

Honestly what I would like most out of the Switch 2/Pro/Deluxe/360/U is your digital games being either transferred to the new system, or just flat-out backwards compatible. It's insane how much Nintendo lags in that department. A system that doesn't have that post-2023 really shouldn't be allowed to be sold.

Rykan

This again?

Look at the Steam Deck's price. Look at the Steam decks size.
Now look at the Switch. Back to steam Deck. Switch one more time. Now back to Steam Deck.

It's not happening.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This again?

Now look at the Switch. Back to steam Deck. Switch one more time. Now back to Steam Deck.

It's not happening.

Look how much bigger a game gear is to a game boy advance. 😎😎😎

Rykan

The gamegear came out in 1990, the GBA came out in 2001. That's 11 years between release. The Steamdeck came out in 2022, while the Nintendo Switch will probably be released within 2 years. At most it will have a 2 - 3 year difference.

Tams

A1UuUfj.png

TLZ

Banned
This again?

It's not happening.
Steam Deck released Feb 2022. Next "Switch" I reckon March 2024 the earliest. That's 2 years later. Surely Nintendo can come up with better hardware then? Or at the very least similar power at a cheaper price.

Interfectum

Steam Deck released Feb 2022. Next "Switch" I reckon March 2024 the earliest. That's 2 years later. Surely Nintendo can come up with better hardware then? Or at the very least similar power at a cheaper price.
Nintendo is more concerned with price, battery life and size of the system over raw system power. There is no guarantee it will be more powerful than Steam Deck.

Rykan

Technology, especially portable, doesn't advance that fast in just 2 years. Nintendo is unlikely to use the latest tech available either. It might be somewhat comparable in docked mode, depending on what kind of improvements they make to the dock but the Switch having similar specs to the Steam Deck in handheld mode? No chance of that happening.

There is no way that Nintendo would design a handheld device with that kind of size, and they probably want to keep a similar launch price to the original Switch (Between 300$ - 350$) as opposed to the steamdeck, who's entry level starts at 420$.

TLZ

Banned
There is no way that Nintendo would design a handheld device with that kind of size, and they probably want to keep a similar launch price to the original Switch (Between 300$ - 350$) as opposed to the steamdeck, who's entry level starts at 420$.
I don't know about that, because the Switch isn't exactly small. No one imagined a Nintendo portable to be this big before Switch's release. When it was shown people called it huge and not exactly portable. People were used to portables being in their pockets and how the Switch wouldn't fit. Now some people ironically call it small and very portable and easily fits in a bag. How times change.

I wouldn't put anything past Nintendo. They'll do what they see fit. Also remember the Wii U pad? Again non expected and quite a hefty tablet "controller".

A lot of y'all really know nothing about Nintendo.

1. Nintendo DOES NOT focus on power. Stop asking for muh grahpix.
2. Nintendo first and foremost focuses on games and gameplay.
3. There won't be a new console released until they have a new unique gimmick. There won't be a "Switch 2".

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
The more I think about it, the more illogical it seems for Nintendo to release an iterative successor to the Switch. Unless that thing is going to be OLED by default, it's going to be a downgrade in certain regards, and they won't allow that to happen.

Rykan

I don't know about that, because the Switch isn't exactly small. No one imagined a Nintendo portable to be this big before Switch's release. When it was shown people called it huge and not exactly portable. People were used to portables being in their pockets and how the Switch wouldn't fit. Now some people ironically call it small and very portable and easily fits in a bag. How times change.

I wouldn't put anything past Nintendo. They'll do what they see fit. Also remember the Wii U pad? Again non expected and quite a hefty tablet "controller".
The Switch is about as small as a tablet console can get while still being a tablet console and being able to function as a home console. It's actually smaller than a Wiiu gamepad and only slightly bigger than a 3DS XL.

Sorry, maybe I mixed many posts and replied to yours as if replying to all at once lol that's because there are several users claiming it's not possible to Nintendo to do a powerful device, as if they had to underpower their consoles just because they are Nintendo before they go into the market lol this thread op is an example of that
No I get it, its tough to make sense of all the posts at times because so many are tropes nowadays that its easy to assume intentions. No worries at all.

tkscz

Nintendo is more concerned with price, battery life and size of the system over raw system power. There is no guarantee it will be more powerful than Steam Deck.
Because Nintendo is going with Nvidia, it'll be difficult to compare the two in raw power.

Say they do decide to make a custom chipset based on Tegra Thor (the Lovelace model), the 4nm Lovelace GPU would provide the best feature set for lower power as smaller nodes require less power to run equal to the previous larger nodes (in this case 7nm Ampere). I wouldn't expect anything crazy like 4096 CUDA cores, which is double Orin's 2048, but something from1024 to 2560. Lets just go with a middle ground at 2048 Lovelace CUDA cores and say they run at 600MHz to keep the wattage down in the 10w - 15w average. The GPU would be 2.4TF, which is above the Steam Deck's 1.6 but not by a huge margin.

However, in keeping with the longer battery life, the Switch 2 would also continue to use an ARM processor, probably 8 core, that wouldn't be more than 1.5GHz vs Steam Deck's 2.4 to 3.2GHz x86 based Zen2 CPU, which would clearly out perform an arm CPU.

Then there is RAM, in which I could see Nintendo also using 16GB of LPDDR5, but probably not at the 5500MTs as the Steam Deck as it would save power to under clock it. Which would cause bottlenecking.

I could see nvidia providing a much better GPU than whats in the Steam deck only because they've been at the portable/low powered game for longer. But the rest of the system would be more focused on longer battery life and could bottleneck the GPU. All hypothetical of course.

Reactions: TLZ

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Most of the size difference between the Switch and Deck is in the controls. This is what makes the Deck much more versatile and comfortable to play. I’m glad Deck has big ass controls with touchpads, back buttons, and curvy handles.

5ady2B7.jpg

This isn’t to say that the Switch 2 couldn’t be smaller and more powerful. Look at the GPD Win 4 that’s more powerful than a Deck and way smaller despite packing a slider keyboard.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Totally, of course by the time it releases there'll be a Steam Deck 6 on the market.

Interfectum

Because Nintendo is going with Nvidia, it'll be difficult to compare the two in raw power.

Say they do decide to make a custom chipset based on Tegra Thor (the Lovelace model), the 4nm Lovelace GPU would provide the best feature set for lower power as smaller nodes require less power to run equal to the previous larger nodes (in this case 7nm Ampere). I wouldn't expect anything crazy like 4096 CUDA cores, which is double Orin's 2048, but something from1024 to 2560. Lets just go with a middle ground at 2048 Lovelace CUDA cores and say they run at 600MHz to keep the wattage down in the 10w - 15w average. The GPU would be 2.4TF, which is above the Steam Deck's 1.6 but not by a huge margin.

However, in keeping with the longer battery life, the Switch 2 would also continue to use an ARM processor, probably 8 core, that wouldn't be more than 1.5GHz vs Steam Deck's 2.4 to 3.2GHz x86 based Zen2 CPU, which would clearly out perform an arm CPU.

Then there is RAM, in which I could see Nintendo also using 16GB of LPDDR5, but probably not at the 5500MTs as the Steam Deck as it would save power to under clock it. Which would cause bottlenecking.

I could see nvidia providing a much better GPU than whats in the Steam deck only because they've been at the portable/low powered game for longer. But the rest of the system would be more focused on longer battery life and could bottleneck the GPU. All hypothetical of course.
Yup and maybe some SDK trickery and built in hardware (something like DLSS) could make up for most deficits.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
size of the system

The Switch isn't exactly small either.

I'd argue that because the Switch is too big for a pocket, it might as well be SteamDeck sized. If you're going to use it on the move, either console will be in a bag or carry case and at that point, there's not really a usability or portability trade off.

Of course, you could argue the Steamdeck might be too big for kids, but I don't think that's likely to be a problem since kids get given ipads to entertain them quite regularly.

Last edited:

E-Cat

To say Nvidia Tegra X1 is from 2015 is somewhat misleading. It's a mobile chip from 2015 -- in a home console in 2023.

It's all the same, cheap-ass shit since the Wii. Though Wii was only one generation behind, Switch is more like two generations behind.

2 Wiis duct-taped together, figuratively speaking.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

E-Cat

when the switch was announced it was the most powerful handheld gaming console. 😎😎
Which makes it a generation behind at launch since it's also supposed to function as a home console and mobile hardware is generally one generation behind. Plus, it's been basically a generation since its launch so that makes it two generations behind today.

E-Cat

3. There won't be a new console released until they have a new unique gimmick. There won't be a "Switch 2".
Points 1 and 3 are really only true after the Gamecube generation. This is a trend that started with Satoru Iwata, the Revolution and "blue ocean" thinking. Back when PS2 was unveiled, I remember Nintendo boasting about Project Dolphin exceeding all its specs -- which it mostly did.

Some of us fully understand what Nintendo is today, but do not accept it. I want them to walk and chew gum at the same time; i.e., focus on gameplay AND have cutting-edge graphics. I know we can't have it; but I'm still gonna bitch about it. /oldmanyellsatcloud

Knightime_X

Was the Wii your first nintendo console?

Knightime_X

Nope, it was the NES. Do you not realize the Gamecube launched over 20 years ago?
Doesn't matter.
What matters are the people in control during that time.
Nintendo isn't ran by Iwata anymore, so who knows what they'll do, powerwise.
Wii, Wii U and Switch were all under the eye of Iwata who believed weaker hardware generated better creativity.

Last edited:

Doesn't matter.
What matters are the people in control during that time.
Nintendo isn't ran by Iwata anymore, so who knows what they'll do, powerwise.
Wii, Wii U and Switch were all under the eye of Iwata who believed weaker hardware generated better creativity.

Lol, you think Furukawa is going to look back at two massive commercial successes and say, "Screw Iwata the guy knew nothing. MORE POWER!" Yeah, I don't think so.

Knightime_X

Lol, you think Furukawa is going to look back at two massive commercial successes and say, "Screw Iwata the guy knew nothing. MORE POWER!" Yeah, I don't think so.
You fully understand gamecube's biggest blunder was using mini dvd which heavily restricted it from getting bigger games, right?
DVD was HUGE and nintendo said NAH, dvd is a joke and soon our GCN sales as well.

Plenty of other reasons as well with "power" being absolutely none of them.
Gamecube was even cheaper than ps2, AND stronger.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Top Bottom