• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ign Star Ocean 3 Review.

Gruco

Banned
Interestingly enough, Star Ocean 3 shares more connections with tri-Ace's other high profile PSOne RPG, Valkyrie Profile, but we'll leave that little morsel for you to discover.
Sold.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
God dammit. Pikmin 2, Phantom Brave, and Star Ocean 3 within a week of eachother.

And then three weeks after that, SMT3 comes out...dammit.

Damn! I need money.

kiryogi

Banned
Oooh didn't pay attention to who wrote it. (I just got the issue in the mail today actually)

BTW Ferricide: how about that ToD2? :D

ferricide

NotMSRP said:
Is Squenix giving us a shiny slipcase as compensation for a low budget VAing?
i should mention -- i didn't actually read what IGN said, but the VA features a lot of xenosaga actors and is roughly on par with it. if you liked xenosaga's VA OK, you'll be satisfied with SO3. personally i thought SO3 was B+ ish on the voice acting. then again, i can't tell what people think is good/bad with voice acting.

I usually don't get too caught up in the nuances of voice acting quality. I just ask myself, "Does hearing the voicework in this game make me want to stab myself in the eye? Y/N", then write the review accordingly.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's square enix. Therefore, it must be good. :p

Sadly, that's the attitude of a lot of people.

belgurdo

Banned
As long as the voicing is better than Sudeki and its "have everyone say stuff in different dialects and pretend they all sound natural" approach, then it's all good

belgurdo said:
As long as the voicing is better than Sudeki and its "have everyone say stuff in different dialects and pretend they all sound natural" approach, then it's all good
The hideously awful accents in Sudeki are like the high point of the game's voicework. What's even worse is when they fail to actually match up the voice to the character design, and you have little kids speaking in deep adult voices or white people with exaggerated black accents.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Kobun Heat said:
The hideously awful accents in Sudeki are like the high point of the game's voicework. What's even worse is when they fail to actually match up the voice to the character design, and you have little kids speaking in deep adult voices or white people with exaggerated black accents.

I about lost it when the one trader said "Lay some skin on me"

IJoel

Hahaha... I love this.

Every game argument turns into a Sudeki bash. Hilarious.

I do admit that Sudeki's voice work is awful though.

On that thought I hope SO3's voice work is much better than ToS.

belgurdo

Banned
IJoel said:
Hahaha... I love this.

Every game argument turns into a Sudeki bash. Hilarious.

That wasn't my intention, but the voices in Sudeki kinda irked me, especially since it was from a UK studio. Symphonia's was rough in spots too, but not as much as Sudeki, imo

IJoel

belgurdo said:
That wasn't my intention, but the voices in Sudeki kinda irked me, especially since it was from a UK studio. Symphonia's was rough in spots too, but not as much as Sudeki, imo

Oh, I don't disagree. I didn't compare SO3 to Sudeki, well, because almost any voice work could be better than Sudeki's, and so that's why I used ToS, which I thought was average at best, but not horrible.

I just find it hilarious that every RPG argument turns into a Sudeki bash.

ferricide

Soul4ger said:
Which means Item Creation! Yahoo! ::dies a little more::
the invention system is shit.

if this game's story were less interesting and well-presented, it would be a 6. it's really what holds the whole thing together. the dungeons are really long and not terribly interesting, the battles have tons of problems, and there are no other secondary gameplay systems worth mentioning besides the inventions.

meh. hope tri-ace's next game is valkrie profile 2.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ferricide said:

if this game's story were less interesting and well-presented, it would be a 6. it's really what holds the whole thing together. the dungeons are really long and not terribly interesting, the battles have tons of problems, and there are no other secondary gameplay systems worth mentioning besides the inventions.

In other words, it's like a slightly waterred down version of Skies of Arcadia? :)

Korranator

ferricide said:
the game's battle system has big problems.
Not that I care about IGN reviews, it seems their review is in direct conflict with your review when dealing with the battle system. "Arguably the best battle system in an RPG that we've ever seen, Star Ocean also boasts some awesome customization options and plenty of tactical formalities."

Care to elaborate on the big problems for those of us like myself who are on the fence on this one?

Alcibiades

not that I care much about this game, but isn't this out like in September 24th or Aug. 24th or something, and aren't reviews supposed to wait until like the day before or until shipping day, why would the review get leaked this soon, do companies allow early exposure to the review if they pass a certain score or what...

Also, what's up with Madden getting reviews already by all these sites, that's out till like next week, did EA say ok if it goes gold, does it differ with companies... I thought it was up to websites and magazines, but I don't follow em much anymore, except I remember that ign64.com and igncube.com (IIRC) didn't put up reviews until like release date or the day before...

I thought maybe companies made deals as to when reviews would be allowed to go up by allowing early copies as long mags/sites they complied with the wait, but I guess it's a different situation in every case...

That's funny, because the IGN reviewer seemed to think that SO3 had the best battle system of any PS2 RPG. Which means one of you is talking out of their ass. And frankly, I'm inclined to believe it's you.

Your taste in RPGs clearly is of no use to me.

Deku Tree

IGN gave FFX-2 a 9.5 (same reviewer IIRC) and I hated it. But I loved FFX.
I'll have to wait and read some more reviews.

Senretsu

I just beat Tales of Symphonia today and really enjoyed it, and I'm ready for this one. They sure got this review up there fast, I wish the game came out already, I'm not gonna have so much time with the Fall rush thats coming, Pikmin 2, Phantom Brave, argH! I'm waiting for the gamespot review, but probably gonna buy this one at launch anyway. Me poor wallet :(.

IJoel

Kobun Heat said:
Didn't the last Sudeki thread turn into a ToS thread?

Don't precisely recall (and too lazy to check) but it might've. Of course, after it was bashed to the ground I imagine. :p

On another note, I pre-ordered SO3 at Gamestop and they gave me a nice poster (true poster size, not those small ass 10x8 images). The image in the poster is the same as the cover:

224401.jpg

Jeremy Dunham gets excited too easily. He gave FFX-2 a 9.5 and Castlevania:LOI a 9.0. Both grossly overrated IMHO. Hopefully this isn't the case with Star Ocean.

ferricide

Korranator said:
Care to elaborate on the big problems for those of us like myself who are on the fence on this one?
certainly. now that it's on the web i may freely talk. i've been biting my lip for like a month during all those threads where people were like "should i buy TOS or wait for SO3?"

BTW, the game comes out 8/31. squenix is usually pretty cool with your running reviews online a couple weeks early. hell, they let me run a review of unlimited saga a while before it came out, IIRC -- i was working at gamespy, then -- and they knew what kind of scores that game was going to get.

aaanyway, i'd say that there are a number of flaws in the battle system that really keeps it from excelling. for one, you can't hit enemies when they're on the ground, which is just irritating and counterintuitive. depending on their/your animations, you can end up wasting a whole bunch of effort smacking them around with the hits going straight through them, meanwhile they recover and hit you when you're done your attacks. it all feels incredibly arbitrary.

the buttons are set up really annoyingly. X and O are the attack buttons. you tap 'em for regular hits and hold 'em for special attacks, but this is imprecise at best.

the AI options for your other party members are super scarce -- nothing like as much as TOS -- and besides just generically attacking the enemies the AI never has much use, either. never count on 'em to heal you as much as you need it, for example. it's easy to switch between characters and heal yourself or whatever, so it's not completely horrid, but it would be a non-issue if they weren't so dumb and had decent options.

the bonus battle gauge is annoying. to raise any sort of decent levels you need to get the 300% experience effect, but the way you set effects is (according to the FAQ i read) dependant on what sort of hit you hit the enemy with for the hit that fills the gauge. since you can't really control this easily due to the aforementioned problems with hit detection and button combinations, and the AI players hits seem to count for starting it, this means you'll often (mostly) get one of the other bonus battles.

now, every 5 further battles you turn on another bonus battle effect. if you get 300% exp last, that's 20 battles. the rules for bonus battle gauge breaks are kind of arbitrary -- just taking a lot of damage from a hit from an enemy, really, as far as i can tell -- which means that getting decent experience can be giant pain the ass. is this absolutely required to progress through the game? no, but it adds tedium.

moreover the middle of the game is a bit of a slog. like scooter says in OPM and EGM they could have taken this overly long and repetitive RPG and whittled it down and made it into a shorter, tighter, more fun RPG without losing much. in fact, i think they'd've gained something.

it's kind of like a high budget .hack -- slog with 3-member (2 AI), action based battles with statistical underpinnings. but it does have a pretty interesting story that's told with a lot of flair, and it's not like the battles outright suck, they just have annoying problems. it's a very attractive game and i did have fun playing it, it just began to wear on me after awhile, and especially after TOS (which came out after it in japan, of course) it seemed under-evolved from a gameplay standpoint. playing TOS again after it -- i started a replay -- just underscored this. it's much more responsive (even just walking in towns is smoother.) i miss the cinematics and the non-cliche-dripping story, but everything else goes to TOS ... well, except the music.

Neutron Night said:
didn't you get banned for being a little bitch in a previous RPG thread?

Operations said:
Jeremy Dunham gets excited too easily. He gave FFX-2 a 9.5 and Castlevania:LOI a 9.0. Both grossly overrated IMHO. Hopefully this isn't the case with Star Ocean.
and i gave both of them three stars back at gamespy. just sayin'...

http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/castlevania-lament-of-innocence/6295p1.html
http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/final-fantasy-x-2/6368p1.html

Alcibiades

wtf, LOI a 9.0?

why is it that igncube.com is very hard on their reviews (except that one SFA) and glady take out frustrations toward Nintendo in their reviews, but the others (especially ignxbox.com), review games with the perspective of being a fan of the system, etc... If Matt or whoever happen to like Nintendo more and be biased does it matter, wouldn't higher scores than usual be ok (since the other ign sites are doing it), but sometimes igncube.com scores are lower than average...

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I'd also like to add that levelling feels sorta worthless because everything takes way too fucking long to kill by HP loss. Of course you can make MP-sucking weapons but I don't think you're able to do so for a while in the game, and I just never feel interested in continuing.

Strange. I gladly put in 500+ hours to SO2, all saves totalled. Can't budge myself past 15 on SO3.

Gruco said:
It's a lousy cameo.

Again, I predict a lot of backlash against SO3 once it's finally out.

AniHawk

efralope said:
wtf, LOI a 9.0?

why is it that igncube.com is very hard on their reviews (except that one SFA) and glady take out frustrations toward Nintendo in their reviews, but the others (especially ignxbox.com), review games with the perspective of being a fan of the system, etc... If Matt or whoever happen to like Nintendo more and be biased does it matter, wouldn't higher scores than usual be ok (since the other ign sites are doing it), but sometimes igncube.com scores are lower than average...

I've noticed this too.

Luigi's Mansion: 7
Super Monkey Ball: 8.3
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: 6.9 (6.8?)

Blinx: 8.8
WWE RAW: 9.1
WWE RAW 2: 9.1

Seems like they've toned it down a bit since then though. Sudeki got a 7.8.

On the other hand... IGN PS2 seems to be more around the middle. IGN Pocket's definitely the easiest on its games though. 18 of them have received 10.0 (I think it was 18).

efralope said:
wtf, LOI a 9.0?

They had to tone it down considering just how they reviewed games last gen.

belgurdo

Banned
Neutron Night said:
That's funny, because the IGN reviewer seemed to think that SO3 had the best battle system of any PS2 RPG. Which means one of you is talking out of their ass. And frankly, I'm inclined to believe it's you.

Weren't you banned?

Alcibiades

AniHawk said:
I've noticed this too.

Luigi's Mansion: 7
Super Monkey Ball: 8.3
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: 6.9 (6.8?)

Blinx: 8.8
WWE RAW: 9.1
WWE RAW 2: 9.1

Seems like they've toned it down a bit since then though. Sudeki got a 7.8.

On the other hand... IGN PS2 seems to be more around the middle.
Don't forget about Mario Kart's low marks, and I think DOA:VB got high marks

Galleon: 8.2
Gunvalkyrie: 9.0
Jet Set Radio Future: 9.1

at least they toned it down and gave Sudeki a 7-something...

IGN Pocket's definitely the easiest on its games though. 18 of them have received 10.0 (I think it was 18).

considering GBA's utter domination over XBox in hardware sales and 1 mill. + 2 mill. sellers, the market would seem to agree. To quote the press conference earlier in the year "we should first ask, can PS2 catch up to Gameboy Advance" (which has had higher sales over PS2 since it launched in mid '01).

In all likelihood, those GBA games probably deserve it...

efralope said:
In all likelihood, those GBA games probably deserve it...

Except not. If you're going to attack one site for overrating games, don't try to defend another site for doing the samething because they're reviewing a platform that you like more.

Socreges

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Except not. If you're going to attack one site for overrating games, don't try to defend another site for doing the samething because they're reviewing a platform that you like more.
You don't understand. Every 10 was for a GBC game. When there were no decimal points.

That said, I think IGN Pocket is pretty lenient. But then again... who gives a shit...

Top Bottom