• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The First 13 Minutes of Mass Effect: Andromeda

Dynomutt

Never played a Mass Effect game before. That intro was well done! Felt like a SyFy Expanse/Dark Matter type of intro. Currently playing H:ZD may have to look into this when complete.

chaislip3

Alright, just finished watching it. It seems like a solid start.

Gives a good look at the dialogue wheel and some of the characters too.

Dancing around a bit, I don't like the animations still, but the voice acting ain't so bad. Was this on a PC? Few drops here and there, but hey, nothing's perfect.

I love that the IGN player's reaction to
"OH SHIT something wrong with your sister's cryotube" is to... leave the room.

Yes, it was technically an optional objective most likely left alone in the interest of expediency, but somehow I can't imagine many players electing to not check that out. xD

edit: As for impressions: It's a solid-ass intro - very evocative of the first ME. Would have liked a bit more exposition on various aspects but hey, that's what the Codex is for, anyway.

Sai

I watched it. I'm weak. :(

Still, great opener.

Is it spoilerific or is it basically what we already know from b4? Not sure if to watch or not
I don't think it spoils anything about the story that's too important; nothing beyond what's up with your sibling as you start up. I believe the rest has already been touched on in earlier media we've seen.

Still, if you want to go in completely spoiler-free, I wouldn't suggest watching it. Just a couple of weeks and some change until you can play it.

chaislip3

Is it spoilerific or is it basically what we already know from b4? Not sure if to watch or not

I'm pretty sure that everything in the video has been information that's been put out.

There MAY be something considered spoilery for some about halfway through, though.

Jocund

Someone needs to gif the face the Natalie Dormer Asari gives to Ryder after Cora turns the gravity back on

prag16

Banned

If you've been following all the prerelease coverage including dev twitter, etc, there are really no truly new spoilers here. But if you're conscious of that stuff, I can't quite say "sure everybody should watch it".

Really solid intro imo. Can't wait. Horizon will have to take a back seat when this drops; been busy lately so doubt I'll have it done by then.

I love that the IGN player's reaction to
"OH SHIT something wrong with your sister's cryotube" is to... leave the room.

Yes, it was technically an optional objective most likely left alone in the interest of expediency, but somehow I can't imagine many players electing to not check that out. xD

Yeah, I mean, when Bioware tracks these things I'd have to imagine that's an objective that about 98% of players would complete. One would think.

cofias

I'm very excited to play this, but damn those facial animations are so bad for 2017. I feel like ME2 had better animations.

Slythe

I've never been an animation snob, but having just finished TLOU and U4 this month and watching Horizon gameplay, man these characters look stiff.

However facial animations are easy to overlook if they nail the gameplay systems, story and sense of exploration.

Jarmel

Banned
Animations still look a bit janky but Male Ryder definitely looks better than FemRyder.

I noticed how part of the 'Golden Planet' pops in at the end of that cutscene. This game is going to buggy as fuck for awhile.

Tommi84

Well... yeah, about Andromeda. It looks exactly like the previous ME which... i didn't like. Never even finished ME2. My decision to pass on this one stays were it was. Not buying it.

prag16

Banned
Horizon has plenty of uncanny valley moments.

Yeah, I don't get all these Horizon comparisons. Loving that game so far, but a few hours in, the facial and character animations don't really seem much better if at all from ME:A. Scratching my head at the implications that it's vastly better. (Obviously neither is on the level of TLoU or UC4).

I feel like ME2 had better animations.

Come on. No.

GavinUK86

Someone needs to gif the face the Natalie Dormer Asari gives to Ryder after Cora turns the gravity back on

giphy.gif

Bubble

Neo Member
Really like the tone choice in conversations. Reminds me a bit of DA:2 with what they did with Hawke, which was good and really made Hawke feel like a proper character.

Definitely liking this approach to making the player character feel like a proper character.

Harlequin

I don't want to watch it but I would like to know: do they show the character creator in this (and if so at which time in the video)?

Two things about this.

1.) Clancy Brown is way too fucking cool. Love that guy.
2.) Animations and lip sync seem pretty good. Some weirdness (like the asari doctor's expression when the gravity turns on) but overall seemed solid. Lip sync in particular seemed better than what's in Horizon.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Wait, just to clarify, you can still customize the appearance of your character in this right?

jtb

Banned
Pretty campy. The opening gave me ME1 throwback sci-fi vibes.

I hate the family stuff for all of these games. Fallout 3, Fallout 4, this... who cares. They're not my sibling/wife/father/whatever. I don't give a shit. Stupid plot hook.

Ryder looks bad.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, I don't get all these Horizon comparisons. Loving that game so far, but a few hours in, the facial and character animations don't really seem much better if at all from ME:A. Scratching my head at the implications that it's vastly better. (Obviously neither is on the level of TLoU or UC4).
It's literally the nature of rpgs. It's something devs will have to deal with going forward as the fidelity increases while they still have to stick to procedural animation for conversations.

prag16

Banned
It's literally the nature of rpgs. It's something devs will have to deal with going forward as the fidelity increases while they still have to stick to procedural animation for conversations.

Sure; I'm not complaining. More just reacting to the claims that Horizon is vastly better in this department than ME:A:

tenor.gif

Syrus

Banned
Im on the fence of who to play male or fem.

Are the voice actors famous for other games? I played female in fallout because she did Jack in ME.

Jarmel

Banned
The opening reminds me more of a lighter version of ME2 but that's primarily due to the whole spaceship being damaged aspect.

I'm not sure I liked the very early opening bit as I think having a scene on Earth might give more emotional weight to the decision to leave it behind. It also could have worked as a way of establishing the Ryder family as well before the Andromeda trip.

Laiza

I'm actually pretty impressed. They set a good tone and the whole thing feels legitimately sci-fi in the way Mass Effect should be.

Some janky animations, yeah, but the most important animations (IMO) - the gameplay animations - are actually pretty decent. Just jogging around feels like it has weight to it, which I can appreciate. A far cry from the terrible awfulness that is, say, the SWTOR animation, or even some of the ME3 animation (lol Femshep run). It's no Ubisoft game, but it'll do.

Especially since I plan on putting more time into the multiplayer than anything else. I'm going to be seeing nothing but the gameplay animations there. Good enough for me!

GavinUK86

I find this ironic because while Horizon is an exceptional game, the facial animations during dialogue are full on uncanny valley with little emotive expressions.

I agree. Horizon has a lot of dead eyes in the characters. They kinda just... stare into the abyss while talking.

Im on the fence of who to play male or fem.

Are the voice actors famous for other games? I played female in fallout because she did Jack in ME.

Not much, but ManRyder has voiced Octodad (as said before) and he sounds a FUCKTON like Nolan North. So, if Nate-In-Space strikes your fancy...

Top Bottom