• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] The History of the Xbox One: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Bullet Club

The near decade-long lifespan of the Xbox One has finally come to a close, well sort of. With the Xbox Series X and the Series S taking over as the new faces of Xbox, it's time to take a look back at the emotional rollercoaster of a ride that the Xbox brand took us on these past years with the Xbox One family. The Xbox One has an incredible history. Some good, some bad, and some ugly. From the infamous disaster of a reveal in 2012 in the hands of Don Mattrick, to the fantastic 360 pivot they were able to pull off after Phil Spencer was named Head of Xbox, we're going to go over every major (Nelson) moment that defined the Xbox One generation of consoles. In this video we'll also discuss Microsoft's walk back from the once required Kinect and how the Xbox One's focus on backwards compatibility that almost single handedly turned every thing around for the consoles. It was an interesting console generation for sure and you can bet that IGN will be there every step of the way in the new stories the Xbox Series X will have to tell us in the coming years. For so much more on Xbox, stick with IGN.

Edit: Here's the Youtube version.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Let's stick to the simplest one : something that cannot be experienced on other consoles.
Oh, you should definitely feel free to use whatever definition suits you. I'm probably not going to be following you though - to me, there are no 'exclusives' on the Xbox line anymore. So, you can have your definition and I'll have mine.

Cool?

HarryKS

Oh, you should definitely feel free to use whatever definition suits you. I'm probably not going to be following you though - to me, there are no 'exclusives' on the Xbox line anymore. So, you can have your definition and I'll have mine.

Cool?
What are you even talking about?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I remember that rocky start. That was a trip down memory lane.

IMO, the absolute worst things they started with:
1. DRM / always online plans
2. Launching less powerful and more expensive, with a Kinnect forced onto users

That pretty much insured Sony had a foot in the door to convert what as at the time some massive number of users, almost 90m or something. And they did just that by releasing an upgraded SKU and plenty of exclusives within the first half of the gen.

Things I think Xbox One did well in the middle years of the gen:
1. Release the One S and One X as far-apart options to the same audience
2. Insured they had a better quality, in fact down right superior, home media center experience to the PlayStation
3. Made a hard turn towards Game Pass

And it seems like both companies are holding their course. Which I guess is to be expected, seeing as everything is backwards compatible now and they both seem intent on supporting last gen for years. I just really wish Microsoft had tried to innovate more with their hardware. It's now just more of the same but more powerful. Same controller, nothing electrifying about that custom NVMe drive, etc. I am sure the exclusives will come given how many studios they gobbled up recently.

SEGA_2012

My first XBOX. A beautiful, white XBOS. Loved it !
Had a lot of fun playing Gears 4 and 5, plus all the games from retrocompatibility !

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
XaNy.gif

kyussman

Not a single game released that interested me enough to "jump in".....obviously personal taste is a factor as I've never been a fan of Gears/Halo.....even so,quite a feat as I do enjoy video games,lol.
Things are already looking up though.....Obsidian working on rpgs,Bethesda aquisition,Perfect Dark,Fable.....yea,I certainly see an Xbox purchase in my future later in the gen this time around.

sxodan

Name one game which was a phenomenon on Xbox One in the past 5 years. One exclusive.
Why are you so obsessed with exclusives? I think Microsoft already made it clear they don't work like Sony and never will, especially now with their increased focus on Game Pass.

It doesn't make any sense to spend tons of money on these big blockbuster single-player games (Sony exclusives style) if you're offering them day one on Game Pass.

cormack12

Gold Member
As soon as Kinect was mandatory and in the box it reduced the value proposition so much because the first question was 'where's the cheaper SKU without the Kinect?'. The always on/DRM had some ideas that could be salvaged imo but it was a generation too early. Even now the resistance is only slowly starting to erode with things liek tethering for sign in etc. I liked the split feature and wished it was on the Xbox Series X. It's a godsend for those of us who like to have the sport on, while grinding in certain other games.

Even the philosophy of 'one box' wasn't bad per se. Running your cable or sky through the xbox is kind of a good thing imo. I'd love to be able to get rid of my largely useless Virgin TiVo and just have one box (less wires, clutter etc) but it was again completely lost because they were just 'NFL, NFL, NFL, Fantasy Football in real time etc'.

The biggest issue was the power of the box imo. The 360 had a lot of goodwill though it stagnated at the end of its life and a lot of people picked up a PS3 with a back catalogue. If it had maintained its power and the best place for third parties, it would have just took a lot, if not most, of their existing players. Instead, people side eyed it and chose the PS4 on price, power and a feeling of buying a proper console. Mattrick didn't work alone but he is the face of the biggest fumble in gaming imo.

Boss Mog

Why the hell did they need 3 people to narrate this though? It's like they wanted to show us how diverse they are and don't get me started on the pink hair. Also they didn't discuss some of the major issues that gamers had with the XB1 prior to launch. Like how focused it was on TV and the $500M partnership with the NFL.

They did briefly mention "focus on entertainment", but they should've gone into more detail about why exactly gamers were pissed. And the other big thing they missed was just how invasive and strict Kinect was going to be, going as far as counting the number of people watching a movie and not play it if it was over like 6 people or something.

drganon

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to bother getting an xbone and just get a ps4 earlier than I did. Mine is a glorified paper weight/dust collector.

Papacheeks

Banned
This was a pathetic video that glossed over a lot of things like the indie game clause that stiffled game development for xbox. On top of what their fees were.

Fake

Xbox One launch was a disaster. Damn, I almost feel sorry for my Xbox 360. I was on the job watching the Xbox One Reveal. Was very depressing.

regawdless

Banned
It's honestly painful to go back and actually watch some of the interviews and the messaging. So much incompetence, it's unbelievable. I really feel for the many people at Xbox that were fully aware that the strategy is shit but had to play along because the idiotic management said so.

Fredrik

No one gives a hoot about Forza. Streamers don't stream it, youtubers don't make videos about it, it doesn't get talked about. No traction.

Example of a phenomenon: Animal Crossing, God of War, COD Warzone. Things people talk about.
Inside your bubble maybe, outside FH4 is always in the conversation about the best racing games of the generation and even the best racing games of all time. You may not think it’s good but you didn’t ask us to provide examples of what you think qualifies as a phenomenal game. You just asked for one example. And I can give you two. Forza Horizon 3 is just as highly rated. 👍

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No one gives a hoot about Forza. Streamers don't stream it, youtubers don't make videos about it, it doesn't get talked about. No traction.

Example of a phenomenon: Animal Crossing, God of War, COD Warzone. Things people talk about.
So because it doesn’t fit your narrative and streamers don’t stream it then it ain’t a good game?

reviews were high for it , people talk about it and it’s still the best racer of its generation.

now the games you listed I didn’t like god of war, found it boring for me personally. Now I loved Spider-Man and thought it was amazing, but that’s my personal choice. I don’t see Spider-Man getting steamed or talked about so that mean it’s bad? No

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got a Xbox One shortly after it came out and let me tell you, the console was the biggest hunk of shit. It was a complete insult to anybody who stuck with MS the entire time, and a huge step back from the 360. Nothing they talked about worked right. The Kinect was just a waste of space, it didn't work, the TV interface stuff was slow and had to rely on the useless Kinect, the OS was buggy and crashed constantly. It didn't even have a battery indicator and they had to rewrite all the party stuff before Titanfall came out because what they had didn't work, this was stuff 360 OS had for years including at launch. It was so bad, such a horrible console and a horrible OS, built on bad ideas and rushed out. I also think sites like IGN did their fans a disservice by not discussing this openly and honestly and instead dancing around the topic seemingly out of fear of MS' and fanboys' wrath.

Then they had to spend years trying to just make it competent and functional and we are supposed to act like this is a great achievement and a reason to believe in MS again.

HarryKS

Inside your bubble maybe, outside FH4 is always in the conversation about the best racing games of the generation and even the best racing games of all time. You may not think it’s good but you didn’t ask us to provide examples of what you think qualifies as a phenomenal game. You just asked for one example. And I can give you two. Forza Horizon 3 is just as highly rated. 👍

I asked for a phenomenon, not a highly rated game. A phenomenon captures the imagination. There has not been a single exclusive experience on that platform that has captured the imagination of the public for the past 7 years.

Nothing like Halo 3, Gears of War or Mass Effect.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I've said this before....all the orig XBO policies werent bad. Some were, but not all.

They way the XBO (and probably Series X) handles disc to digital license transfers is amazing. Its seamless. On PS4, AFAIK, you have to redownload the entire game.

I tested this before redeeming PS Plus and GwG games I had the disc versions of.

They way XBO handles save, cloud syncing is nice.

Those 2 things are probably good because of the orig vision for XBO.

What hurt it and MS was too much too fast; heavy handed, mixed messaging.

PSNow
PSVR
PSVue (yeah this is sold off now)

Thats your TV TV TV TV, always online and expensive accessory from Sony (PSVR wasnt mandatory tho, big misstep from MS. Remove Kinect and the XBO is probably $399 too)

Biggest difference between MS and Sony? Sony waited to introduce and promote those 3 things. Launch should always be mostly about games. Services and accessories can come later.

Fast forward to today and MS had the right idea, just too soon. And terrible marketing, messaging.

I think the best thing for MS was the missteps of the XBO. Gamepass, their BC initiative seems legit.

They need to stop thinking power was why everything fell apart. And should have started focusing on fixing their first party games output much sooner.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox One for me was a worse version of PlayStation 3. Both gave me only 5 exclusives with PlayStation 3 being of higher quality due solely to Naughty Dog. Both were my secondary consoles for their respective generation.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I've said this before....all the orig XBO policies werent bad. Some were, but not all.

They way the XBO (and probably Series X) handles disc to digital license transfers is amazing. Its seamless. On PS4, AFAIK, you have to redownload the entire game.

I tested this before redeeming PS Plus and GwG games I had the disc versions of.

They way XBO handles save, cloud syncing is nice.

Those 2 things are probably good because of the orig vision for XBO.

What hurt it and MS was too much too fast; heavy handed, mixed messaging.

PSNow
PSVR
PSVue (yeah this is sold off now)

Thats your TV TV TV TV, always online and expensive accessory from Sony (PSVR wasnt mandatory tho, big misstep from MS. Remove Kinect and the XBO is probably $399 too)

Biggest difference between MS and Sony? Sony waited to introduce and promote those 3 things. Launch should always be mostly about games. Services and accessories can come later.

Fast forward to today and MS had the right idea, just too soon. And terrible marketing, messaging.

I think the best thing for MS was the missteps of the XBO. Gamepass, their BC initiative seems legit.

They need to stop thinking power was why everything fell apart. And should have started focusing on fixing their first party games output much sooner.

I still maintain Microsofts version of the future was better than what we have now. The fact that you cant freely share digital games with someone easily on console is a huge bummer.

Bragr

Banned
Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are fantastic and a lot of people have no idea what they are missing out on. Especially 3, that Australia map is the best open-world racing map ever created. Forza Horizon 2 was great back in the days too, although it's been outdated now. (the season thing in 4 was a bit of a letdown, and it lacks the variety like desert and jungle from 3)

Xbox did have Ori and Cuphead as exclusives for a while.

And if you never played Halo, the Master Chief collection is truly something special. Besides that, you do have other great games like Gears 4 and 5, Forza Motorsport 7, Sunset Overdrive. Halo Wars 2 is not bad, and Sea of Thieves did turn out good after a while. Quantum Break is alright. Rare Replay is awesome.

Yes, the PS4 blows it away, but it's a good console, with better backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It took them time to change course but Xbox One X was the machine that finally delivered, small, quiet and powerful with the best multiplats and massively upgraded first party games like Forza 7, Horizon 3 and 4, Gears 4 and 5 and Halo 5.
Was worth buying a 4k HDR TV for.

We have a product for people with no internet connections. It's called Xbox 360.
I jumped on the PS4 bandwagon right after that interview.
It took microsoft years to win me back. And I'm only back because games are available on Windows as well.

Camreezie

The IGN video is hilariously cherry picked. A lot of those promised big exclusives never materialised, those that were a success were on the smaller scale. A lot of the acquisitions of studios that were made have yet to bear any fruit.

Top Bottom