• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Top 10 Coop Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A great coop can can strengthen friendships, build new ones, and sometimes even test the limits of others. We love coop games here at IGN, so we thought we'd take some time to countdown the top 10 coop games of all time.

This list of the 10 best coop games attempts to focus on the games (or modes within games) that are specifically designed with coop in mind. The distinction that we're making is that this list is of the 10 best coop games, not the 10 best games that have coop in them, which is why there are some hard cuts that we had to make, keeping that distinction in mind. In any case, let us know your own picks for the top 10 cooperative games in the comments below.

#10. Splinter Cell Conviction
#9. Overcooked 2
#8. Streets of Rage 4
#7. Divinity Original Sin 2
#6. Monster Hunter World
#5. Left 4 Dead 2
#4. Sea of Thieves
#3. It Takes Two
#2. Rock Band 4
#1. Portal 2

Left 4 dead 2 should be the number 1 in my opinion.

Last edited:
No love for A Way Out? Smh

header.jpg

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Theres only one game that I think of:
Contra.

Of course its not on there.
I could understand not taking into consideration older games because of the younger audiences.

But not putting Cuphead nor Blazing Chrome over there... that's criminal.

Everytime i see Portal i think about what a waste of a great gameplay mechanic on such a meaningless ip. Valve should have made HL3 with this mechanic, instead all we got in the end was a random stupid meme.

topic: list is decent, no suprises there

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Everytime i see Portal i think about what a waste of a great gameplay mechanic on such a meaningless ip. Valve should have made HL3 with this mechanic, instead all we got in the end was a random stupid meme.

topic: list is decent, no suprises there
Have you played Portal 2? It expands a lot on the first one.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The children aren't playing it. It's games media who constantly praise this game. Look at its last month...

I'm convinced it's a multiplayer game for people who don't like multiplayer games.
Its on Gamepass...why would people buy the Steam version?

P.S It hasnt left the top 49 most played on Microsoft Store since launch.

Black_Stride

Look at Steam sales. It did well on Steam. Doesn't keep players interest for very long.

Or just look at how poorly it does here...

Can't quite keep up with *checks notes* Farming Simulator 19.

You didnt read my P.S did you?

Its been in the top 49 since launch.....2+ years ago?
Doesnt keep players interested?

Hell launch it right now and see if you have any trouble finding players.
The game is active as fuck

It Takes Two isnt in the Top 49 so you telling me its NOT a fun co-op game?
MHW isnt in the Top 49 so its also not a good co-op game?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
“B-B-B-BUT MY FAVORITE COOP GAME ISNT ON THE LIST”

Nobody cares. If your opinion were important you would be a professional game journalist writing for IGN

TintoConCasera

Played both, still a waste, just imagine a HL3 with Portals in combat, platforming, physic puzzles etc. It would be a perfect match.
Man I dunno, Portal felt like a demo but Portal 2 is a great game, at least imo.

The game you describe would be fucking cool, but I imagine the AI for the enemies would be more complicated to code since with portals they could have much more possibilities to do things. Would be cool as fuck tho.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You didnt read my P.S did you?

Its been in the top 49 since launch.....2+ years ago?
Doesnt keep players interested?

Hell launch it right now and see if you have any trouble finding players.
The game is active as fuck

It Takes Two isnt in the Top 49 so you telling me its NOT a fun co-op game?
MHW isnt in the Top 49 so its also not a good co-op game?

Top 49?

cringe-gif-13.gif

Microsofts single most expensive multiplayer only game, gets tons of support + content updates and "top 49"is the bar? There are more people playing Demons Souls III on Steam. It's getting beat out by Farming Simulator 19 on XBox.

I'm not going to launch the game right now because it's dreadfully boring and poorly designed. Fighting brain dead skeletons on islands the size of my kitchen gets old after...the 3rd island you see. The fact that you can find enough players to fill a barren 20 player lobby doesn't mean much. The game is riddled with awful design decisions.

It Takes Two (made by small team + zero updates) isn't designed to be repayable. No one, including its developers, expects players to run through that game more than once or twice. Monster Hunter World had great player engagement stats (much better than Sea of Thieves) but there hasn't been a content update for that game in almost a year. Sea of Thieves garners a decent amount of attention at big moments (launch, Steam release, big updates) and the player base consistently craters soon after.

Still a fascinating game to observe because player do come back for updates, and for some odd reason gaming media likes to tell their audiences it's a good game. It's not.

playXray

Played both, still a waste, just imagine a HL3 with Portals in combat, platforming, physic puzzles etc. It would be a perfect match.
Honestly, I don’t think it would be worth it. Both series are amazing in their own right - sometimes less is more.

Why not add all the Street Fighter characters to Tekken? Actually, they tried that and it was worse than either Tekken or Street Fighter.

Kokoloko85

That list is for all time?

No Resident Evil 5. Halo. Gears. Destiny. Time Splitters 2. Tokyo Jungle

Also Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, X-men Legends, Zombies Call of Duty, Guardian Heroes are all amazing Coop games

Black_Stride

Top 49?

cringe-gif-13.gif

Microsofts single most expensive multiplayer only game, gets tons of support + content updates and "top 49"is the bar? There are more people playing Demons Souls III on Steam. It's getting beat out by Farming Simulator 19 on XBox.

I'm not going to launch the game right now because it's dreadfully boring and poorly designed. Fighting brain dead skeletons on islands the size of my kitchen gets old after...the 3rd island you see. The fact that you can find enough players to fill a barren 20 player lobby doesn't mean much. The game is riddled with awful design decisions.

It Takes Two (made by small team + zero updates) isn't designed to be repayable. No one, including its developers, expects players to run through that game more than once or twice. Monster Hunter World had great player engagement stats (much better than Sea of Thieves) but there hasn't been a content update for that game in almost a year. Sea of Thieves garners a decent amount of attention at big moments (launch, Steam release, big updates) and the player base consistently craters soon after.

Still a fascinating game to observe because player do come back for updates, and for some odd reason gaming media likes to tell their audiences it's a good game. It's not.

Wait you cringe at staying in the top 49 for more than 2 years?

Noting the top of the list basically never changes.
  • COD - Sometimes multiple
  • Fortnite
  • Destiny 2
  • Minecraft
  • Siege
  • Roblox
  • Overwatch
  • Apex
  • GTA
  • FIFA - Sometimes multiple
  • NBA - Sometimes multiple
  • Madden - Sometimes multiple
  • That new game from Ubisoft
  • That new game people want to play.
  • That other new game people want to play.

So yeah staying in the Top 49 is damn achievement.
Theres a slim chance for any game to displacing the top of the list.

Hell Tales of Arise is a GOTY contender and it barely made the list.
And it was just released.

But I digress I still dont understand, you havent actually critqued Sea of Thieves as a Co-op game youve said nothing against it and seem really out of touch because as a Co-op romp its a really really fun game.

What makes you say its NOT a good Co-op what are the faults of Sea of Thieves that led you to that assessment?

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's a subjective list, so it's fine. But it wouldn't be my exact list.. The ones I've had the most fun with lately:

Absolute Favs:

Halo MCC
Cold War Zombies
Minecraft
Human: Fall Flat
Unravel Two
Guacamelee! (Series)
Lego games, pretty much all of them
Sea of Thieves
It Takes Two
A Way Out
Rayman Legends

Also good:

Gears 5
Destiny 2 (I don't like to single this, only co-op)
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Moving Out
The Division 2
Borderlands 3
Diablo 3
Castle Crashers
Brawler games in general
Broforce

Last edited:
Top Bottom