• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 Resident Evil Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out our list of the Top 10 Resident Evil Games!

How do you choose your favorite RE game? Do you go with genre-defining standouts like Resident Evil 4? What about going back to where things started, like the original Resident Evil? What about the most modern and eminently replayable games such as Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil Village? Or even Resident Evil 4 VR? What people love about Resident Evil is often very personal, and tastes vary wildly in terms of what people find cheesy, horrifying, or even fun. It’s a difficult list for sure, but we assembled a crack team with very different opinions about what makes RE special, and we voted on the list you see here. We hope you enjoy!

10. Resident Evil 5
9. Resident Evil 6
8. Resident Evil Revelations
7. Resident Evil 3 Remake
6. Resident Evil Revelations 2
5. Resident Evil Remake
4. Resident Evil 7
3. Resident Evil 8
2. Resident Evil 2 Remake
1. Resident Evil 4

RE4 and RE1 Remake for the GameCube are the best for me.

Just_one

RE4 as the number is pathetic.

RE2 remake all the way.

Havent played Village yet but have it pre-ordered for the 3rd person view. very curious to play it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
They forgot Zero + CV. Also, the originals should be included.

14. Resident Evil 6
13. Resident Evil Revelations
12. Resident Evil Revelations 2
11. Resident Evil Zero
10. Resident Evil 5
9. Resident Evil 3 Remake
8. Resident Evil Code: Veronica
7. Resident Evil 3 OG
6. Resident Evil 8
5. Resident Evil 7
4. Resident Evil 2 OG
3. Resident Evil Remake
1. Resident Evil 4

Arachnid

Came to see IGNs shit list but not bad, actually. RE4 is EXACTLY where it should be. REmake should be moved up to second place after RE4 (third after RE2make at the least). RE3make should be moved down to 13th place just before RE6, but happy to see it low in general. Rev1 should be flipped with Rev2. RE6 should be dead last. Lol @ placing it before RE5.

I'm assuming they ignored OG RE2 and 3 because they haven't played that far back and just replaced it with the new versions. Both of them, CV, and 0 should be before RE6 or RE3make. That makes me think they just haven't had the chance to play the older entries with the exception of REmake.

Overall though? Solid list. The only one severely out of place is RE5 (assuming they haven't played the oldies). Good job IGN, for once.

Handel

The list you have in the OP is wrong, the rankings in the video are actually:

1. RESIDENT EVIL 4
  2. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (2019)
  3. RESIDENT EVIL (2002)
  4. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (1998)
  5. RESIDENT EVIL VILLAGE
  6. RESIDENT EVIL 7: BIOHAZARD
  7. RESIDENT EVIL 3: NEMESIS (1999)
  8. RESIDENT EVIL (1996)
  9. RESIDENT EVIL 4 VR
  10. RESIDENT EVIL 5

Which is a very solid list. To me the top three are RE4, REmake, and RE2R and they can really go in any order. They are of equal overall quality with different strengths and weaknesses

Arachnid

The list you have in the OP is wrong, the rankings in the video are actually:

1. RESIDENT EVIL 4
  2. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (2019)
  3. RESIDENT EVIL (2002)
  4. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (1998)
  5. RESIDENT EVIL VILLAGE
  6. RESIDENT EVIL 7: BIOHAZARD
  7. RESIDENT EVIL 3: NEMESIS (1999)
  8. RESIDENT EVIL (1996)
  9. RESIDENT EVIL 4 VR
  10. RESIDENT EVIL 5

Which is a very solid list. To me the top three are RE4, REmake, and RE2R and they can really go in any order. They are of equal overall quality with different strengths and weaknesses
IDK. It is better, but still has problems. Having RE4 up there twice just for the VR version? Kind of a cop out. What about RE4 for the Wii which was the ideal way to play before 4? I feel like that needlessly gets in the weeds. Also, in that case, do the same for RE7 VR (all of this is tongue in cheek to make a point btw). Also, having the OG RE1 on there is pointless. It's redundant after REmake.

Still no CV love even though it's like the third highest critically rated RE?

Perfect top 3 though.

Reizo Ryuu

The one true list (my list):
R3make
RE5
RE8
RE2make
RE4
RERev2
RE6
REmake
RE7
RECV
RERev
RE0
RE2
RE1
RE3

Note: not listed in good to bad, I like them all.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 1 remake is #1 for me. I hope we get a Re-Remake, and they finish Resident Evil 1.5. They can call it Resident Evil 2 alternate or something and put it on PS Plus Classics. Would be superbadass if we got a new classic resident evil.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Resident Evil 1 remake below fucking 7 and 8?! Gotta be fucking kidding me. Its bad enough that 4 is number 1.

tommib

I would put it in my top 3.
crushed noo GIF

hemo memo

Gold Member
10.Resident Evil Code Veronica
9. Resident Evil Outbreak (2003)
8. Resident Evil Outbreak: File 2 (2004)
7. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
5. Resident Evil Dead Aim
4. Resident Evil Revelations
3. Resident Evil 6
2. Resident Evil 5
1. Resident Evil 4

Just_one

someone please explain me whats so good about RE4 ?

Story is the beginning of no RE theme which spread to 5 and 6. setting also has nothing to do with RE...

it´s a good action game but its not a good RE game at all

Salz01

That list, and ign is shit.
RE5 being dead last, and having 6 be better is laughable. Also 8 being better than 7…. Lol…..

kunonabi

1. RE3
2. Outbreak files
3. RE1
4. REmake
5. RE0
6. RE2/REmake 2
7. Survivor
8. Mercenaries 3D
9. RE6 - Jake & Sherry Campaign

I Master l

Banned
10.Resident Evil Code Veronica
9. Resident Evil Outbreak (2003)
8. Resident Evil Outbreak: File 2 (2004)
7. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
5. Resident Evil Dead Aim
4. Resident Evil Revelations
3. Resident Evil 6
2. Resident Evil 5
1. Resident Evil 4

Kinda curious why Dead Aim is number 5 for you

SeraphJan

1. CV
Dreamcast release, it was a game ahead of its time and universally acclaimed, amazing atmosphere, best music, improved zapping system, most complex puzzle out of all RE games

2. 7 (with VR)
Still the best VR game for me

3. RE Remake 2002
Shinji's true vision of the original game, the addition of Lisa is good too

4. RE 2 Remake
Best Remake in gaming

5. RE 4
Most addictive Re game

6. RE 3 Remake
Hugely underrated, its short but good

7. RE 6
Big budget, the best in terms of content quantities, they really put in a lot of work, a linear game that is 40 hours long (linear meaning unlike open world where there aren't many filler content) , the combat mechanic is very complex, huge variety if you dive deeper (you will need it if you are a fan of mercenary mode), not a horror game but definitely a good game, another underrated one. There are tons of fan service too, like for the first time you get too have Ada and Leon together, Chris interact with Leon, grown Sherry etc.

8. Zero
Puzzle solving involving two character is fun and challenging, one of the best in terms of visual quality at launch, a 6th gen game that looked 7th gen

9. RE 5
Co-op campaign is fun, not a horror game but still amazing overall quality for its time

10. 8
Good atmosphere and setting, visual looks amazing too

Honorable mention Revelation 2

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
8. Resident Evil Darkside and Umbrella Chornicles
7. Resident Evil 5
6. Resident Evil 3 Remake
5. Resident Evil 4
4. Resident Evil 2
3. Resident Evil Remake
1. Resident Evil 3

bender

What time is it?
1. RE4
2. RE2
3. REMake
4. RE
5. RE2 Remake
6. The first hour of RE7

Whatever last place is: Code Veronica

Top 10 RE games with no original RE2...

and some people wonder how IGN is not good on their feet

It's got to be an age thing, right?

Last edited:

Metnut

What would be the best game to start with if I’ve never played this series? I have a PS5 and a Switch, so wound something available in those platforms.

PrefectAboro

Neo Member
What would be the best game to start with if I’ve never played this series? I have a PS5 and a Switch, so wound something available in those platforms.
For a Spooktacular Halloween scary good time please grab the Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remakes (if you like zombies) and play RE 8 (if you like witches/werewolves). If you were to pick just ONE...get RE2 REmake!

Top Bottom