• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] What to Expect From PlayStation in 2022

Elios83

Polishing means bug fixing. ANd they also said they were suppose to be done with rendered/Scenes. So getting those done, lip sync done for US release takes time. Mainly on top of bug fixing, Which comes before optimization. To do that and have it set for different regions is a big undertaking. I'll be surprised if it makes it 2022.
Game was originally scheduled for 2021.
Covid has delayed stuff but the game is basically in its polishing stage.
They're tweaking gameplay, boss battles, polishing graphics and cutscenes.
The director also stated the next big reveal would be close to release and that big reveal is in spring.
It's a Q4 2022 or at worst Q1 2023 game.
I think the release date will be announced next spring as well.

Edit: It might also be interesting to add that Forspoken was originally scheduled for January 2022, something that Sony leaked in their CES montage last year.
Final release date is now in May, so basically the Square Enix games all suffered a 5 months delay.
There is a lot of room to release FFXVI in October 2022.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony multiplayer in 2022...

anigif_sub-buzz-16353-1511361247-13.gif

SEGA_2012

What i expect from Playstation in 2022 ?
The opportunity of buying one :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes: :lollipop_raising_hand:
If possible, the PS5 Slim, with a better design. Sony pls :goog_smile_face_eyes:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They will have the games, and they will be good games, but cant muster any excitement for these last gen games. Even their next gen only games like Forspoken and Ghostwire look last gen. They will have the quantity and the 'content', but thats not what I want from Sony. Sony exclusives used to mean quality and pushing boundries. Be it graphics or scope. Now it's just more of the same and checking boxes. Bigger, Better and more Badass like Gears 2. Not a bad thing, but no one talks about Gears 2 for a reason.

Comparing their output to 2015, PS4's second year, and there is really nothing as visually awe-inspiring as The Order. Even From Software impressed with an incredible looking souls game in Bloodborne that looked like two gens ahead of Demon Souls at the time. Though its likely due to Sony Japan Studios' involvement in the game. Even Until Dawn, an exclusive made by a non-Sony studio produced an incredible looking next gen game.

On paper, Sony's 2022 lineup handily beats their 2015 lineup, but I suspect it will end up feeling too samey with Horizon, GT7 and GOW all looking like evolutions instead of a true next gen revolution. It will be interesting to see how they review.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Sony first party line up for 22 : Horizon Forbidden West and GT7

( God of War will be delayed for 23)

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Yeah learning FF14 director is making FF16, I am actually really excited for the game.
Also the reveal trailer looked awesome, I know people starts hating crystals from FF13 (?) so that was pretty good.

They will have the games, and they will be good games, but cant muster any excitement for these last gen games. Even their next gen only games like Forspoken and Ghostwire look last gen. They will have the quantity and the 'content', but thats not what I want from Sony. Sony exclusives used to mean quality and pushing boundries. Be it graphics or scope. Now it's just more of the same and checking boxes. Bigger, Better and more Badass like Gears 2. Not a bad thing, but no one talks about Gears 2 for a reason.

Comparing their output to 2015, PS4's second year, and there is really nothing as visually awe-inspiring as The Order. Even From Software impressed with an incredible looking souls game in Bloodborne that looked like two gens ahead of Demon Souls at the time. Though its likely due to Sony Japan Studios' involvement in the game. Even Until Dawn, an exclusive made by a non-Sony studio produced an incredible looking next gen game.

On paper, Sony's 2022 lineup handily beats their 2015 lineup, but I suspect it will end up feeling too samey with Horizon, GT7 and GOW all looking like evolutions instead of a true next gen revolution. It will be interesting to see how they review.
This is 100% what I expect. A lot of people on here never learn to control their pre-release hype levels. I have no idea why anyone is expecting an earth shattering mega-ton from God of War after the first trailer released looking virtually identical to the first game. It will be a great game, but not the same impact as the 2018 release. Horizon will be very pretty, but so was Ratchet. They need to put more effort into diversifying their gameplay offerings. That's more important to me than any perceived shortcoming in their graphics.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

Seeing the AI push, new ways to traverse and denser worlds with being able to fly on a machine mount is playing it safe or checking boxes? Even if you disliked it, Last of Us part 2 pushed boundaries in animation, mo-cap, violence, story telling, and mobility.

Like what?

Last edited:
This is 100% what I expect. A lot of people on here never learn to control their pre-release hype levels. I have no idea why anyone is expecting an earth shattering mega-ton from God of War after the first trailer released looking virtually identical to the first game. It will be a great game, but not the same impact as the 2018 release. Horizon will be very pretty, but so was Ratchet. They need to put more effort into diversifying their gameplay offerings. That's more important to me than any perceived shortcoming in their graphics.
Yep. I get the Horizon hype, but I don't really get the GoW hype (and GoW was my favorite PS4 game).

Same reason you see all the hype for BOTW2 even that looks the same as the first one
You're right to a point. But in my opinion Sony is not lacking in terms of graphics. They need more diverse gameplay. Breath of the Wild will excel on the promise of new things to do in gameplay (are dungeons back for real? New powers reversing time? Sky world?). Sony makes great games but they have to diversify to stay exciting.

SlimySnake

Yeah, people dont realize how samey these games are going to feel. i got that feeling when playing Uncharted 4.

Seeing the AI push, new ways to traverse and denser worlds with being able to fly on a machine mount is playing it safe or checking boxes? Even if you disliked it, Last of Us part 2 pushed boundaries in animation, mo-cap, violence, story telling, and mobility.

Like what?
Why are you comparing TLOU2 to Horizon? is Horizon going to have motion matching? the generational leap in gore that TLOU2 had? Or Neil's direction? The improvements Horizon has are just normal improvements you expect from a sequel. Not a generational leap we got from TLOU1 to TLOU2.

TLOU2 was also 2 years ago released during last gen. Different standards and expectations. Just a bad comparison all around.

AmuroChan

So from what we know so far, they'll have at least 1 big game every 2 months. Sprinkle in the Indies and whatever hasn't been announced yet, that's already a much better year than 2021.

1st party:
- Uncharted Legacy Edition
- Horizon FW
- GT7
- MLB
- GoW Ragnarok

3rd party:
- Forspoken
- Ghostwire Tokyo

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah, people dont realize how samey these games are going to feel. i got that feeling when playing Uncharted 4.

Why are you comparing TLOU2 to Horizon? is Horizon going to have motion matching? the generational leap in gore that TLOU2 had? Or Neil's direction? The improvements Horizon has are just normal improvements you expect from a sequel. Not a generational leap we got from TLOU1 to TLOU2.

TLOU2 was also 2 years ago released during last gen. Different standards and expectations. Just a bad comparison all around.

How is it not a good comparison? Horizon uses Decima, they improved the engine since Zero dawn and we see that in Death stranding. Naughty dog literally released a game on their own in house engine that also ran uncharted 4/Lost legacy and its being used currently in the build they used for Last of us part 2 for their new project and last of us remake?

There's literally like a year and some change apart, and they both started full on production during same time frame? How are they not good comparisons?

It's almost like you don't pay attention to developer deep dives that go on at GDC where they talk about their tech, and improvements they made.
I would assume your assumption for them not being comparable is because one is cross gen? When talking about development and internal engines its the same. Sometimes different targets for hardware can hinder full on directions.

Like the changes are night and day. Same goes for Last of us part 2 compared to Uncharted lost legacy.
You really think Naughty dog's next game is going to be drastically different in tech with their current engine? Defintitly not and I can confirm their build they have been using though scaled up to target PS5 hardware still has the same physics, mo-cap, and animation tools. Just assets will be scaled higher, and they more than likely will be using better camera;s for mo-cap, among better scan technology.

Other than that the engine work is still all there?

SO you honestly are going to tell me you dont see drastic changes in Decima's current build of systems in play? How the AI literally adapts to the player? Which is similar to how AI actions were written for Last of us part 2. No more hiding in one spot and waiting for patrol to reset. They literally will keep looking, and if you hid under something they can pull you out.

You're right to a point. But in my opinion Sony is not lacking in terms of graphics. They need more diverse gameplay. Breath of the Wild will excel on the promise of new things to do in gameplay (are dungeons back for real? New powers reversing time? Sky world?). Sony makes great games but they have to diversify to stay exciting.

The best things about GoW and Horizon weren't even the visuals. It was the gameplay. And through both their trailers we've already seen just how much they've expanded on both for it to not be a concern, even though we've seen very little as it is

Last edited:

SlimySnake

SO you honestly are going to tell me you dont see drastic changes in Decima's current build of systems in play? How the AI literally adapts to the player? Which is similar to how AI actions were written for Last of us part 2. No more hiding in one spot and waiting for patrol to reset. They literally will keep looking, and if you hid under something they can pull you out.
EDIT: Edited to make the post shorter.

I can promise you the AI changes made in Horizon or Decima engine are not taking advantage of the nearly 8x boost in CPU.

There's literally like a year and some change apart, and they both started full on production during same time frame? How are they not good comparisons?

They are not good comparisons because they are releasing almost 2 years apart. In a different generation.

You really think Naughty dog's next game is going to be drastically different in tech with their current engine?

If you think the best ND can do with next gen consoles is just higher quality assets then i dont know what to tell you.

Here is what Avatar devs are doing with next gen hardware. Which one of these things do you see in Horizon?

Flying
Much of Frontiers of Pandora's reveal trailer takes place with Na'vi heroes riding their Banshee companions. As it turns out, this isn't just for show – the game will let you take to the skies and travel across them at high speed, and only new hardware allowed the team to couple that mechanic with the detailed world it wanted to present. "[New consoles allowed] us to have much better object detail up close to you," explains Stefanove, "but also when you're flying high up in the air – to have a lovely vista and far-distance rendering, where we can even use the ray tracing to do shadows super far away, you know, three or four kilometers away from you."

It's not just that the world needs to look good as you lazily soar over it – it's that it needs to stay looking good while you travel very, very quickly, as Jansén explains: "You're flying at enormous high speeds on a Banshee over this very, very detailed landscape. It doesn't matter how much we can render, unless we can stream it in as fast when we're moving very fast from one place to another. So just this shift to these newer hard drives, it can't be underestimated because, and it really has a lot of implications."
Map Design
One of the less visible benefits of new hardware is in changing not just how the open world looks, but how it's pieced together. Because of more limited tech, older open world games needed to balance detail with density, which can lead to large areas of relative nothingness between major points of interest (I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed: Odyssey). It seems that new-gen tech will allow Frontiers of Pandora to be built a little more organically:

"It's not just the old 'I'm taking this slow walk as I enter into the place because we have to stream everything in'," explains Jansén of the benefits to his maps, "it's little subtle things that people don't think about, which is how close together are all the places in the world. If you look at, with the old hard drives, they had to be spaced out very far [apart], because you had to stream out the old and stream in the new, so it just created a formulaic world. So, there's a ton of stuff like that."
Enemy and Creature AI

Stefanov steps in to show us exactly what that can mean: "I can give you a specific example of something that you see in the trailer that has to do with the AI systems. For the big creatures, whenever they are calm, they would obviously walk around trees and things like that. But when they are fleeing, or attacking you, or whatever, they will just go straight through the bamboo and other vegetation and just completely destroy it. I think it's really cool to be able to see all of these effects that the NPCs have on the environment, as well as you having an effect on the environment too."
Immersion
Stefanov gives some examples of what that can mean to the game: "In terms of a new generation of consoles, the improved [hardware] just gives us so much opportunity to make sure that the game's as immersive as possible. So a couple of examples, we have a completely new lighting system that is based on ray tracing, and I think it is a dramatic step up in quality that makes you feel like it's a real place. One tiny example is that it can actually handle the translucency of the leaves [...] so it can figure out how much of the light is reflected through the leaves, how tinted it is with the colors and everything else. You get lovely reflections and sights for the water, even down to the volumetric clouds up in the sky – they actually receive the correct lighting as well."

Last edited:
GT7, Horizon: Forbidden West, GoW Ragnarok and (in spite of mediocre recent gameplay) Forespoken are probably the big ones PS-wise for next year. I would throw in FF XVI too but I keep getting the feeling that'll slip into early 2023.

SlimySnake

LOL! That's not even possible. You know Sony keeps their projects close to the vest.
eh lets not do this again. I heard the same shit last year when I pointed out how Sony didnt have any games for the holiday season. people said but the last of us factions and bluepoint's MGS reboot were on their way for sure. Sony would never allow such an empty year.

Well they did.

Sony literally just announced not one but two games releasing in 2023 and beyond. If they had something amazing and next gen slated for next year they wouldve announced it already.

Papacheeks

Banned
EDIT: Edited to make the post shorter.

I can promise you the AI changes made in Horizon or Decima engine are not taking advantage of the nearly 8x boost in CPU.

They are not good comparisons because they are releasing almost 2 years apart. In a different generation.

If you think the best ND can do with next gen consoles is just higher quality assets then i dont know what to tell you.

Here is what Avatar devs are doing with next gen hardware. Which one of these things do you see in Horizon?

So again this goes to my main point that I called you out, that its because its a cross gen game that its not pushing enough? Just because its not maxing out the system doesn't mean the design or developers vision is compromised. It's almost like you dont understand that projects started early on when all they have are software kits for PS5?

So a game needs to be maxing the entire system to be impressive?
Everyone who has covered Sony's first party mainly Horizon has been blown away specifically with Boss battle design.

I'm done with this conversation, you are some kind of different meta.
Not every game even PS5 only is going to max out the hardware. Unless their engine/game is a unoptimized mess.
I guess we live in two different spectrums. Forbidden west looks impressive, and So does god of war.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
That SILENT HILL game is surely coming

Wether next war or the year after. The teaser are just too big right now after george rr martin teasing it this year. Its like the 3 spiderman rumours in no way home you know its happening

Last edited:
So from what we know so far, they'll have at least 1 big game every 2 months. Sprinkle in the Indies and whatever hasn't been announced yet, that's already a much better year than 2021.

1st party:
- Uncharted Legacy Edition
- Horizon FW
- GT7
- MLB
- GoW Ragnarok

3rd party:
- Forspoken
- Ghostwire Tokyo
If all this comes out with FF16 it’s pretty much one of the best years ever for playstation. Even without FF16 its pretty high up there. I’m sure there is at least one game sony has not announced yet that will end up in the 2nd half of 2022. There is no way sony will only have one first party game planned to released in an entire annual fiscal quarter (2022).

Then you have Sifu, Little Devil Insiide, Stray, Babylons Fall, Tchia, GranBlue Fantasy, Lost Souls Aside, Relayer, ANNO: Mutationem etc.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not too excited myself to be honest. Horizon I‘ll probably buy down the line thanks to the lessons part one thought me (I only play these huge games once and hence will wait until GG has fully improved it). GT7 isn‘t intersting to me and God of War looks to similar to the first (which I did have fun with but for some reason never felt like revisiting).

Aenima

Amazing year for gaming, terrible year for my wallet. Just the beginning of the year is crazy.

February 6 - SIFU
February 18 - Horizon FW
February 25 - Elden Ring
March 4 - Gran Turismo 7

GT7 and Elden Ring are day 1, so i have to leave SIFU and Horizon to less crowded months. Then thers alot of other games i want that are scheduled for 2022 but still dont have a fixed release date.

Lupin25

They expect megaton because God of War, Horizon and GT are considered “megaton franchises” at this point for Sony. They’re not going to appear or be perceived as “next-gen”, because technically they’re not.

They don’t have to live up to that standard now as cross-gen games and honestly, most of their best next-gen games (graphically) released thus far haven’t exactly swept the awards, despite continued acclaimed (R&C, Returnal, etc).

Except for Returnal, the best games of the year have mostly all been cross-gen this year. There’s also more to expect from next-gen than just high-fidelity graphics, such as improved artificial intelligence, level design, etc. We haven’t crossed those boundaries yet; The Matrix tech-demo, R&C, Astro’s Playroom and Returnal are just a glimpse of ways developers can further innovate.

(even the high particle effects created within combat as part of the enemy design in Returnal can certainly be considered next-gen.)

GOW:R, GT7 and HFW just need to live up to the standard of successful cross-gen sequels, just as Miles Morales has done.

2023, 2024 is true next-gen territory, when the casual base can safely procure consoles the most convenient way, W/O stock issues.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Quicker they drop PS4 versions the better in my eyes.

Games being anchored by lower spec systems are never going to get close to maximising the potential of the premium console.

Hopefully HFW, GoW:R and GT7 are not too affected.

Feb-
  • Sifu
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Elden Ring
March-

• Gran Turismo 7
  • Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
  • Triangle Stategy
Pretty much bought most of the games on this list already so their all day 1

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Have the distinct feeling 2023 is going to be a far more impressive year all round, due to the fact that we'll be finally letting go of the tired old last gen tech (with any luck). 2022 will probably be... ok.

Mr Hyde

Horizon, God of War and Forspoken is a completely fine year for me. If they can push FF 16 out the door in the December that would've been great but I doubt it since it's been delayed so much.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
I meant like releasing all of their big games in the first 6-8 months if the year.

Oh okay. Well we know Sony likes to have their big 3rd party games to dominate in the Holiday season. Which to me is an underrated smart move on their part. I hated it at first, but I didn't see the vision. Now I do. I think PSVR2 will be their Holiday 2022 "THING" whereas all the big 1st party titles will come up before October of 2022.

eh lets not do this again. I heard the same shit last year when I pointed out how Sony didnt have any games for the holiday season. people said but the last of us factions and bluepoint's MGS reboot were on their way for sure. Sony would never allow such an empty year.

Well they did.

Sony literally just announced not one but two games releasing in 2023 and beyond. If they had something amazing and next gen slated for next year they wouldve announced it already.

Covid happened though.

Have the distinct feeling 2023 is going to be a far more impressive year all round, due to the fact that we'll be finally letting go of the tired old last gen tech (with any luck). 2022 will probably be... ok.

Nah brah! Do you care about VR at all?

Top Bottom