• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

IGN: Wii 2 = Stream, powered by R700 and 3core IBM, $350-$400 [Fixed Thread]

From The Dust

Banned
Oct 4, 2010
5,555
0
0
bj00rn_ said:
Sounds a bit weaksauce for a brand new console design.

Also, had a Dreamcast with VMU, and that concept was completely useless (Loved the Dreamcast itself though), so I don't get the Wii2 controller, by experience I'm not at all interested in looking at my controller while playing.

Hoping for better news when we get to know more.
so far, there are hints of something special in store
 

Galang

Banned
Oct 19, 2009
7,925
0
0
Toronto
AzureJericho said:
Project Sora is Nintendo as much as Retro is. Which brings up a pretty interesting point, does anyone else feel as though Nintendo might start really expanding again and acquiring folks who can both jive with their developer philosophies as well as handle the increased workloads producing for HD will be in the future?
I definitely think they'll acquire one or two companies in the next little while. Between Wii 2 and 3DS games, they'll have to be able to put out a steady stream of games with the longer development times it requires for both systems. Hopefully there will at least be better third party efforts than there was on Wii; don't see how it can really be worse anyway. At the very least hopefully they don't stop funding games like they did with The Last Story, Pandora's Tower or Dynamic Slash on their next system. Games like those would hopefully move better on the next system too.
 

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jul 31, 2007
39,660
0
0
bj00rn_ said:
Sounds a bit weaksauce for a brand new console design.
Based on rumored hardware specs or something else?

Also, still can't believe people are discarding the idea of streaming to a controller. If true, that's going to be a gigantic draw for consumers--especially families.
 

Koren

Member
Mar 11, 2005
9,345
0
0
bj00rn_ said:
Also, had a Dreamcast with VMU, and that concept was completely useless (Loved the Dreamcast itself though)
Not completely. Mostly if you like...

But I loved the usage of VMU during gameplay in Sakura Taisen 3 (all the trick was precisely using the fact that you *couldn't* read a scrolling message on the VMU and on screen at the same time, so you had to choose... and bear the consequences ^_^)

Even if it was a small detail, that was sufficient for me to love the VMU usage, and think that the PS2 remake was worse on at least this detail.
 

cacildo

Member
Oct 19, 2009
8,331
0
0
Wiimote + nunchuck is the perfect control scheme. You can port anything to it, casual crowd can get into.

Last night: me, my girlfriend and her 9years old cousin, playing Conduit 2 co-op. She never had played any FPS before. Yet she got 167 kills.

And then Nintendo suddenly wants everybody to play a dual analogic monstrosity again, and now with a full fucking screen in the middle of the damn thing, so things can be more confuse.
 

Pyrokai

Member
Feb 27, 2008
5,239
0
810
Ohio
Nirolak said:
There is some team splitting, but for example, a lot of the people who did Phantom Hourglass and New Super Mario Bros. DS were doing New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so this suggests that they definitely have a notable amount of staff floating between their platforms.

In theory they should be able to share advanced technology between the platforms as well in the same we we see a stripped down version of MT Framework 2.0 on the 3DS, but so far we haven't really seen any signs of that.

I mean, they could just be isolating all their 3DS employees from their HD knowledge, but I just can't really think of a reason why they would do so.
To be fair, it also seems like the only in-house 3DS game we've seen come out so far is Nintendogs+Cats and Steel Diver, and I don't think graphics were emphasized at all in either of those games. OoT3D is Grezzo, and it wouldn't surprise me if Star Fox 64 3D was also outsourced. That leaves Paper Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Mario 3DS as the only in-house games we've seen, which I thought all looked very good. Mario Kart definitely looks like its Wii or GameCube contemporaries. Imo, of course.

Edit: Didn't realize lots of people said basically the same things I just did :p
 

wsippel

Banned
May 25, 2006
14,534
0
0
Erfurt, Germany
Pyrokai said:
To be fair, it also seems like the only in-house 3DS game we've seen come out so far is Nintendogs+Cats and Steel Diver, and I don't think graphics were emphasized at all in either of those games. OoT3D is Grezzo, and it wouldn't surprise me if Star Fox 64 3D was also outsourced. That leaves Paper Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Mario 3DS as the only in-house games we've seen, which I thought all looked very good. Mario Kart definitely looks like its Wii or GameCube contemporaries. Imo, of course.
Steel Diver was developed by Vitei (Giles Goddard's studio).
 

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
wsippel said:
Steel Diver was developed by Vitei (Giles Goddard's studio).
Steel Diver was done in conjunction with EAD Group No.5. Just like Zelda is being done in conjunction with EAD Group No.3.

On Steel Diver. Nintendo provided the producer. director. musician. sound program. support program. and multiplayer mode designer.

So Nintendo is using some resources on them. Just getting the grunt work done by someone else. But EAD/SPD and other developers often practice that. Whether its publicly stated or not.
 

Huff

Banned
Nov 10, 2010
5,835
0
0
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Steel Diver was done in conjunction with EAD Group No.5. Just like Zelda is being done in conjunction with EAD Group No.3.

On Steel Diver. Nintendo provided the producer. director. musician. sound program. support program. and multiplayer mode designer.

So Nintendo is using some resources on them. Just getting the grunt work done by someone else. But EAD/SPD and other developers often practice that. Whether its publicly stated or not.
When they do this, is it highly likely that the EAD group is working on another game at the same time?
 

paskowitz

Member
Jul 31, 2009
5,777
0
0
Philadelphia PA, USA
Biggest problem I am seeing with this... how much are additional controller going to cost? That screen has got to cost a fair amount. If it is more than the current Wii controllers which are already expensive, then eh. Still be interesting see what becomes of it.
 

joeposh

Member
Nov 6, 2005
1,495
1
1,105
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I think one of the most exciting aspect of a controller like what's being rumored is the potential to finally emulate the board game/game show experience in a group setting. Playing Catan or You Don't Know Jack with a group of friends is finally workable since you all have your own screen. I think that's more "casual friendly" than motion controls to be honest.
 

wind_steaker

Member
Jun 12, 2005
1,084
0
0
paskowitz said:
Biggest problem I am seeing with this... how much are additional controller going to cost? That screen has got to cost a fair amount. If it is more than the current Wii controllers which are already expensive, then eh. Still be interesting see what becomes of it.
This is what worries me, but maybe we'll see full DS integration as standard...
 
Jun 10, 2010
2,900
0
0
35
www.facebook.com
I hope they keep the speaker on the controller... of course, a better quality speaker than the Wii one.

If the console is going to get more third party western support (aka shooting games) I want to hear the weapon sounds in my hands.
 

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
BroHuffman said:
When they do this, is it highly likely that the EAD group is working on another game at the same time?
I think all the EAD Groups tend to have at least two projects being cooked up at the same time. Sometimes they all release in a timely fashion. Sometimes one gets lucky. Worse is when both have a hard time getting off the ground. It is how they work.

Thing is that the 7 or so EAD groups are actually small core teams. The closer a project within those 7 divisions starts getting to release. The more R&D Miyamoto/Tezuka will authorize into the core team.

If a bulk of the production staff (programmers/artists) is being used up. Then Mr. Miyamoto can do something like give Grezzo/Vitei subcontract co-development gigs under one of the EAD Groups like it seems with Steel Diver and Zelda 3DS. Probably Star Fox 64 also.

SPD, specifically Sakamoto's team at Nintendo. Works the same way. They developed Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi Collection purely inhouse. But subcontracted a lot of staff for the last couple of WarioWares.
 

y2dvd

Member
May 14, 2008
11,224
0
0
Was not going to read 40 pages to catch up so..

An intensive screen on the controller seems kinda pointless when you're gonna be concentrating on the big screen.
 

wsippel

Banned
May 25, 2006
14,534
0
0
Erfurt, Germany
paskowitz said:
Biggest problem I am seeing with this... how much are additional controller going to cost? That screen has got to cost a fair amount. If it is more than the current Wii controllers which are already expensive, then eh. Still be interesting see what becomes of it.
A 7" 1024x600 screen with capacitive multitouch digitizer costs $45 according to TechInsights. This screen is supposedly 6", 800x480 and single touch, not to mention Nintendo will order insane quantities - I doubt they'll pay more than $30 per screen, possibly a lot less than that. Still not exactly cheap, but I believe a price of $60 to $80 should be perfectly doable.
 

opticalmace

Member
Dec 8, 2008
14,633
0
0
Bay Area
y2dvd said:
Was not going to read 40 pages to catch up so..

An intensive screen on the controller seems kinda pointless when you're gonna be concentrating on the big screen.
OK this isn't the same thing, but I'm sure some people said having a second screen on the DS was pointless because you could only look at one at a time. Flawed analogy but I imagine there could be some benefit to it.
 

wsippel

Banned
May 25, 2006
14,534
0
0
Erfurt, Germany
y2dvd said:
Was not going to read 40 pages to catch up so..

An intensive screen on the controller seems kinda pointless when you're gonna be concentrating on the big screen.
It makes a lot of sense for a multitude of reasons, most importantly immersion. In real life, if you look at a map, you look down. If you look through your stuff, you look down. There are countless examples. Especially a title like GTA would make a whole lot of sense on such a controller. Instead of a regular cellphone, the protagonist could carry a smartphone - always accessible on the controller touchscreen. Similar to what Chinatown Wars did on DS, basically. It also frees at least one button, and allows way quicker access to lots of functions and informations without stopping a game and/ or obscuring the stuff displayed on the big screen.
 

Angry Fork

Member
Jun 12, 2010
13,443
8
725
People are going to eat this up and be duped by Nintendo again lol. Completely overpriced for what you're getting if it only slightly out performs current consoles. If it's 300$ then that's decent since 360/PS3 are around that price also, but anything more than that is Wii 2.0 in terms of price vs. what you're getting. And i'm not convinced Nintendo cares about putting out lots of high quality games anymore, but we'll see if that changes.
 

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jul 31, 2007
39,660
0
0
Angry Fork said:
People are going to eat this up and be duped by Nintendo again lol. Completely overpriced for what you're getting if it only slightly out performs current consoles. If it's 300$ then that's decent since 360/PS3 are around that price also, but anything more than that is Wii 2.0 in terms of price vs. what you're getting. And i'm not convinced Nintendo cares about putting out lots of high quality games anymore, but we'll see if that changes.
The Easter Troll is here!
 

paskowitz

Member
Jul 31, 2009
5,777
0
0
Philadelphia PA, USA
wsippel said:
A 7" 1024x600 screen with capacitive multitouch digitizer costs $45 according to TechInsights. This screen is supposedly 6", 800x480 and single touch, not to mention Nintendo will order insane quantities - I doubt they'll pay more than $30 per screen, possibly a lot less than that. Still not exactly cheap, but I believe a price of $60 to $80 should be perfectly doable.
Uh, thats still a big difference and still a lot. Current controllers are $50 and to me that is already too much.
 

ksamedi

Member
Sep 7, 2006
5,854
0
1,150
Rotterdam
Fernando Rocker said:
I hope they keep the speaker on the controller... of course, a better quality speaker than the Wii one.

If the console is going to get more third party western support (aka shooting games) I want to hear the weapon sounds in my hands.
I think thats pretty sure at this point given the streaming functionality of the console and controller. I expect a high quality speaker in this controller.
 

JGS

Banned
Dec 5, 2008
15,807
0
0
Lexington, KY
Kinect is 150
Move is 80 (I think)

100 for a screen with the capabilities of Move and Wiimote is not bad and in range with the new fangled stuff.
 

swerve

Member
Sep 14, 2006
2,502
0
0
Angry Fork said:
People are going to eat this up and be duped by Nintendo again lol. Completely overpriced for what you're getting
Nah man, they won't get me again! Not after I bought 70 games and enjoyed thousands of hours of fun, often with my friends! No chance I'll pay for more from Nintendo if the CPU/GPU aren't up to my idea of 'next-gen'. I mean, what use is having a fun system with fun games if I can't criticise the competition for having fewer cores?
 

szaromir

Banned
Apr 26, 2006
14,216
0
1,125
JGS said:
Kinect is 150
Move is 80 (I think)

100 for a screen with the capabilities of Move and Wiimote is not bad and in range with the new fangled stuff.
You only need 1 Kinect unit for local multiplayer and even then Kinect is overpriced (not on the demand/supply curve, just relatively to its costs).
$100 for a controller is terrible.
 

JGS

Banned
Dec 5, 2008
15,807
0
0
Lexington, KY
szaromir said:
You only need 1 Kinect unit for local multiplayer and even then Kinect is overpriced (not on the demand/supply curve, just relatively to its costs).
$100 for a controller is terrible.
That's true, but the controllers are compatible across consoles, meaning friends could simply bring theirs over. We play party games at home and never needed more than the two we have.
 

Proven

Member
Jan 19, 2007
7,241
0
0
cacildo said:
Wiimote + nunchuck is the perfect control scheme. You can port anything to it, casual crowd can get into.

Last night: me, my girlfriend and her 9years old cousin, playing Conduit 2 co-op. She never had played any FPS before. Yet she got 167 kills.

And then Nintendo suddenly wants everybody to play a dual analogic monstrosity again, and now with a full fucking screen in the middle of the damn thing, so things can be more confuse.
Pointer, split hands, tasteful and sparingly done motion, I still can't believe Nintendo would be willing to throw this out. And it's IGN.
 

Clott

Member
Dec 5, 2008
2,118
0
750
New York, Manhattan
opticalmace said:
OK this isn't the same thing, but I'm sure some people said having a second screen on the DS was pointless because you could only look at one at a time. Flawed analogy but I imagine there could be some benefit to it.

But there is a point, those two screens are right by each other, my controller is down by my lap, in most fast paced games if I would have to look down for a few seconds to assess my standing it would cost me my life.
 

gkryhewy

Member
Dec 28, 2004
9,505
0
0
Seems relatively underpowered for that price point. I'm sure there's another shoe to drop. Here's hoping for VC transfers (hey, I can dream, they're doing it for DSiware).
 

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jul 31, 2007
39,660
0
0
Where is the idea that pointer control is "out" coming from? I thought the only rumor about that was that the Wii remote will still be able to be used.
 
Mar 10, 2005
50,827
0
0
www.theimrankhan.com
Clott said:
But there is a point, those two screens are right by each other, my controller is down by my lap, in most fast paced games if I would have to look down for a few seconds to assess my standing it would cost me my life.
It seems like this is something they would take in to account in game design and wouldn't be something that is 100% solved by speculative hardware rumors on the internet.

But I mean, that just makes sense. We can still decide to ignore that and go on thinking about how Gears of War would work if the ammo count was on your controller despite the fact no developer would ever do this.
 

From The Dust

Banned
Oct 4, 2010
5,555
0
0
Plinko said:
Where is the idea that pointer control is "out" coming from? I thought the only rumor about that was that the Wii remote will still be able to be used.
a lot of the rumors are centered around the new touchpad. which wouldn't have a pointer as it wouldn't make a lot of sense
 

Boney

Banned
Jan 6, 2010
33,742
0
0
Angry Fork said:
People are going to eat this up and be duped by Nintendo again lol. Completely overpriced for what you're getting if it only slightly out performs current consoles. If it's 300$ then that's decent since 360/PS3 are around that price also, but anything more than that is Wii 2.0 in terms of price vs. what you're getting. And i'm not convinced Nintendo cares about putting out lots of high quality games anymore, but we'll see if that changes.
 
Aug 19, 2006
25,598
1
0
Plinko said:
Where is the idea that pointer control is "out" coming from? I thought the only rumor about that was that the Wii remote will still be able to be used.
Beats me, especially if there's anything to the Kotaku rumours.
 

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jul 31, 2007
39,660
0
0
From The Dust said:
a lot of the rumors are centered around the new touchpad. which wouldn't have a pointer as it wouldn't make a lot of sense
Why not? I think of it like Face Raiders on 3DS--you have to turn the entire system to move the cursor but it works really well. I don't think this would be a horrible thing to have to deal with--IF the Wii remote was still supported as well.
 

From The Dust

Banned
Oct 4, 2010
5,555
0
0
Plinko said:
Why not? I think of it like Face Raiders on 3DS--you have to turn the entire system to move the cursor but it works really well. I don't think this would be a horrible thing to have to deal with--IF the Wii remote was still supported as well.
it works. but a two piece controller would be more practical. I don't know, I guess some people see waving the entire controller around really weird. not only that, you only have one motion input device instead of two.
 

watershed

Banned
Mar 12, 2011
19,593
0
0
Angry Fork said:
And i'm not convinced Nintendo cares about putting out lots of high quality games anymore, but we'll see if that changes.
????? not sure if its worth pointing out but the Wii had some amazing first party games , and if you have a family the Wii___ series is also amazing to experience.