• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Wii 2 = Stream, powered by R700 and 3core IBM, $350-$400 [Fixed Thread]

sphinx

the piano man
If the rumor is true, the only piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit is Dragon Quest X.

Enix said it is a WII title and I can't see that being interpreted in some other way than it being a Wii game...

Krowley

MetatronM said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that IGN knows fuck all about this beyond what everybody else on the internet does.

That would be pretty far out on a limb IMO. They're the biggest game site on the net, and whether you like it or not, they have sources who know more than we do about stuff.

They get things wrong here and there, but most likely, they have something legit to back this up. As far as legitimate sources for video game news, IGN is about as official as you can get when it comes to Internet sites, and if we can't trust them, we can't really trust anybody.

They may be wrong on this, but you can bank on the fact that they have a source they trust giving them the information.

antonz

SephCast said:
How much do we expect these controllers to cost?
IGN said talking with a manufacturing company they said it could probably be doable for about 25 bucks versus the roughly 6 dollars Nintendo pays now for Wiimotes. 80 Controller is very likely.

80 bucks is a Move controller+sub controller. So not that awful

Zzoram

If they use an R700 I doubt it'll be the 4870x2, dual gpu cards are not known for scaling well in performance vs power consumption. Even if it is, that would be the first dual gpu solution in a console wouldn't it? They may just use a single 4870 or 4890.

ATI doesn't even make the 4000 series anymore, not sure how it would be cheaper to use a discontinued GPU instead of the existing 5770 which is = to a 4870 in cost and performance, but the 5770 uses less power and doesn't need as big a heat sink fan.

swerve

-Why would you want one quarter of the screen streamed to you, rather than a separate image? Having a quarter of the screen streamed to you offers precisely *no* gameplay advancements. It just lets you play when someone is watching TV.

-Why would Nintendo make a game of Mario Kart which had all the action streamed to a local screen, rather than putting the map/weapons/sneaky secrets on the local screen?

-Why would Nintendo make promotional material for a dev kit?

That image is fake. Fake fake fake fake fake.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DennisK4 said:
Do it Nintendo, release in Fall 2011.

Then I will laugh and laugh if MS/Sony don't launch until 2014. Give the Big N a 2+ years head start - I dare you.

Hate to say this, again, but..

..if Nintendo's system is pivoting on 360 ports with a machine twice the price, I think it'll be a case of...

MS/Sony: *laughs*

...at least from the POV of remaining the heavy weights for third party pubs etc. etc.

We'll see if Nintendo can persuade third parties to step up to 'real' next-gen, non-360/PS3 content just for their system though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
If this shot isn't fake then I'm glad that the new Nintendo console has PC-friendly architecture. Easy ports galore.

Beth Cyra

Roto13 said:
You paid $400 for your 360 when, though. I paid like $200 for my NES. Doesn't mean I'd do it in 2011.
I payed 400 when it launched, just as I payed 250 for Wii and 600 for PS3.

Anything above 200 is taking yourself out of mass market so it comes down to if it's worth it on an personal basis.

I own every platform because I believe in playing as many amazing games as I can, so I will get them all.

And if Cafe is signifcantly stronger then PS3 and Xbox 360 then 350 really isn't that bad. That and as much as I want a Prime 4 with Pointer controls, I'm interested in the new controller if it is like the picture.

The Lamp

By jove....it LIVES!!

GoLsK.jpg

antonz

Zzoram said:
If they use an R700 I doubt it'll be the 4870x2, dual gpu cards are not known for scaling well in performance vs power consumption. Even if it is, that would be the first dual gpu solution in a console wouldn't it? They may just use a single 4870 or 4890.

ATI doesn't even make the 4000 series anymore, not sure how it would be cheaper to use a discontinued GPU instead of the existing 5770 which is = to a 4870 in cost and performance.
A midline 4000 series GPU can do roughly 4x the GLOPs of the 360 GPU. a 4870 can do 5x and a 4870x2 is 10X the 360 performance.

Of course those are PC parts. Nintendo would be heavily modifying whatever they work with

Beth Cyra

oatmeal said:
How likely is this?

Seems like...I dunno. Unbelievable.

Well the IGN editor pretty much put his nuts against the wall.

I don't see why he would do that just to troll his readership.

Stephen Colbert said:
This seems credible enough to warrant a new thread.

IGN just reported that Project Cafe is currently named Stream and will be out either fall 2011 or March 2012. Design will vaguely resemble a modernized SNES and be similar in size to Xbox 360. The price could be $349 or $399.

They're going to do what I suspect they're doing with the 3DS - release early in the year in Western markets (March 2012), basically get the eary adopters to beta-test whatever online functionality they are implementing and then go hard in the holidays with a second wave launch.

Console looks awesome too.

MYE

Jocchan said:
No idea if this has been posted in the other thread (sorry if it was), but I happened to stumble upon a (probably fake) picture similar to the (probably fake) ones in the OP here:

Y4lNb.jpg

Is that a huge nintendo logo on the side of the system?
Either the unit is very small or Nintendo designers are smoking some brain damaging shit over there

or, its most likely fake

maxmars

oatmeal said:
Seems like...I dunno. Unbelievable.

If anything because, while everyone is getting behind the concept of motion controllers, they get back to a traditional pad? With a huge screen on it to boot? wtf?

The Lamp

futuramaguy42 said:
Yeah, I really doubt Nintendo would release a new console that soon after just releasing the 3DS.

Really?

-DSi LL releases
-Nintendo announces 3DS for release between Winter 2010 and Spring 2011.
-3DS releases.

Why can't it go:

-3DS releases.
-Nintendo announces Stream for release between Winter 2011 and Spring 2012
-Stream releases

?

GCX said:
Fall 2011 isn't realistic. In business sense it's way too close with 3DS's release and Nintendo doesn't have resources to pump out enough games for both 3DS and Wii2.

Are we forgetting that Nintendo holds cards close to its chest until it reveals what's going on at E3?

There's been a drought. What's to think that they don't have content ready for a new console that's been under wraps?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The images in the OP are obviously fake, but they're one of the better mock-ups. However, someone has posted in the mega thread a comparison between the supposed width of that controller and an NGP, and needless to say, it didn't look as attractive as it used to be.

They should name it the the Melodica.

So on that one image it seems to mention that the main 1080p image gets broken up into quarters and pushed to one of four controller screens. If that is the case it means that the control screen can just mirror a quarter of the main screen image, as opposed to showing its own data. Honestly if that is the case (not that I really trust this data) it seems pretty limited functionally, no showing hidden player specific data in each controller screen for instance.

antonz

maxmars said:
If anything because, while everyone is getting behind the concept of motion controllers, they get back to a traditional pad? With a huge screen on it to boot? wtf?
Thats how you disrupt things. Your competitors just spent a fortune to copy you then you put out a new machine that changes everything

onQ123

Jocchan said:
No idea if this has been posted in the other thread (sorry if it was), but I happened to stumble upon a (probably fake) picture similar to the (probably fake) ones in the OP here:

Y4lNb.jpg

I believe , I don't care what everyone else says I believe

Zzoram said:
I don't understand how you can look at that screen and the TV at the same time. This doesn't seem practical.

I don't understand how you can look at two screens at once. This doesn't seem practical.
I don't understand how you can move your arms around and play a game. This doesn't seem practical.

gofreak said:
Hate to say this, again, but..

..if Nintendo's system is pivoting on 360 ports with a machine twice the price, I think it'll be a case of...

MS/Sony: *laughs*

...at least from the POV of remaining the heavy weights for third party pubs etc. etc.

We'll see if Nintendo can persuade third parties to step up to 'real' next-gen, non-360/PS3 content just for their system though.

Pretty much. If Nintendo wants to make a major impact in the core market, they need lots of exclusive content. And to do that, they'll need a degree of competence at third-party relations, particularly Western third-party relations, that none of their previous efforts have even hinted at. I find it difficult to be optimistic right now, but maybe the E3 showing will change my mind.

Also, still not buying a 2011 release. First half of 2012 is plausible, though.

WillyFive

The Lamp said:
Really?

-DSi LL releases
-Nintendo announces 3DS for release between Winter 2010 and Spring 2011.
-3DS releases.

Why can't it go:

-3DS releases.
-Nintendo announces Stream for release between Winter 2011 and Spring 2012
-Stream releases

?

Because the DSi is just a renovation of the DS.

The 3DS was a whole new next-gen console with it's own library. Games will eventually stop coming out for the DS and go to the 3DS, but the 3DS and the next Nintendo system will co-exist.

Fritz

These mock-ups look so elaborate. Not that this grade of sophistication hasn't been met by mock-ups yet, but these make me believe that they actually could be legit.

maxmars

antonz said:
Thats how you disrupt things. Your competitors just spent a fortune to copy you then you put out a new machine that changes everything

Except it doesn't. If they wanted to disrupt they'd have to do something different from a regular pad with an ipod touch taped on it.

M74

antonz said:
If Nintendo manages to launch this year you can bet that Sony and MS will both have a heart attack and have to really accelerate plans.
This alone, watching Sony and MS squirm, would be worth the cost of admission for the N6.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If something is, in your opinion, "probably fake", don't post it.

If you post something, you are staking your reputation on it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
MYE said:
Is that a huge nintendo logo on the side of the system?
Either the unit is very small or Nintendo designers are smoking some brain damaging shit over there

or, its most likely fake
Even worse, it's a huge Nintendo logo carved hard on the side of the system.

If that concept is legit, the controller looks much better than I initially pictured in my mind.

Although I'm not sure how wide it will be and if it's comfortable or not.

Also, if Stream is the actual name, I definitely didn't expect that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Zzoram said:
I don't understand how you can look at that screen and the TV at the same time. This doesn't seem practical.
People argue that it's the same as controlling the DS, although I'm not inclined to believe it's as easy. If they relegate anything other than HUD elements to the controller's screen it might end up being an annoyance.

DieH@rd

Banned
Zzoram said:
ATI doesn't even make the 4000 series anymore, not sure how it would be cheaper to use a discontinued GPU instead of the existing 5770 which is = to a 4870 in cost and performance, but the 5770 uses less power and doesn't need as big a heat sink fan.

ATI sold their stake in Global Foundries, they dont make anything anymore. They concract production of GPU chips just like anyone else can. Nintendo and ATI can customise 4870 or 4770 [smaller die size] for console use and then its just a matter of ordering tons of waffers from GF or TMSC.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
2011 launch a pretty terrible idea, they'll have no software whatsoever.
Original story leak mentioned that big devs had the devkits for months. If the console have easy SDK, a lot of highbudget games can be ported to it [COD, Batman,...]

The Lamp

Willy105 said:
Because the DSi is just a renovation of the DS.

The 3DS was a whole new next-gen console with it's own library. Games will eventually stop coming out for the DS and go to the 3DS, but the 3DS and the next Nintendo system will co-exist.

Yeah so what does the 3DS have to do with the possibility of a successor to the Wii coming out? One's a handheld, the other's a console.

Top Bottom