• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Wii-k in Review: 12.14.07

ivysaur12

Banned
ethelred said:
I don't need to prove anything to you. You can (and will) believe whatever you like. You've got a narrative fixed in your brain and nothing's going to dislodge that.

So you couldn't find proof, huh?

grandjedi6 said:
True but with how the Wii is performing on the market we should be comparing its software sales to the PS2, not the Gamecube

Not necessarily...when multiplatform games were advertised PS2 was always the platform shown in the commercials while with the Wii...I doubt most people are aware these games even exist on the Wii. I'm surprised they've sold as much as they did

ethelred

ivysaur12 said:
So you couldn't find proof, huh?

If you're thinking I'm just going to wholesale post a bunch of NPD numbers here, you must seriously underestimate my intelligence.

schuelma said:
Ok..I believe the best selling 3rd party Wii game so far is GH3. Was there a GC game that did better than that?

Yes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
If you're thinking I'm just going to wholesale post a bunch of NPD numbers here, you must seriously underestimate my intelligence.

Ok..I believe the best selling 3rd party Wii game so far is GH3. Was there a GC game that did better than that?

ivysaur12

Banned
schuelma said:

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

But Guitar Hero III will end up beating it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ivysaur12 said:
The PS2 and the Wii are two different beasts; people normally buy Nintendo machines for Nintendo games and that's it. We've seen that the past 2 generations. These numbers are better than the Gamecube numbers, and companies can sell much less on the Wii and still break even compared to the other next-gen machines; that's really all that important.
Zoramon089 said:
Not necessarily...when multiplatform games were advertised PS2 was always the platform shown in the commercials while with the Wii...I doubt most people are aware these games even exist on the Wii. I'm surprised they've sold as much as they did

Doesn't matter. When publishers create games for the Wii they are wanting PS2 like numbers. If casual games sell well while hardcore gaming titles are doing worse, then publishers will not focus develop on the Wii. Instead they will focus on the 360 with its superb software sales. Outside of system sellers, publishers don't care how many units a console sells, its all about the software sales.

ivysaur12

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Doesn't matter.

Yes, it does, actually.

grandjedi6 said:
When publishers create games for the Wii they are wanting PS2 like numbers.

Not on a Nintendo system. Publishers know the Wii isn't a PS2. You should stop treating it like one.

grandjedi6 said:
Instead they will focus on the 360 with its superb software sales.

Making a profit on the 360 is leagues harder than on the Wii. Not to say that the 360 software sales aren't amazing, but it doesn't take much to break even on the Wii. 100,000, on average, I believe I heard somewhere. Compare that to the 360.

- Matt can't say anything more about the mystery games. Peer has read the design documents - he is a big fan of the franchise and hasn't seen a big installment in that franchise for a long while, and thinks it uses the Wii well.

- The other game - Peer was never a big fan of the franchise due to the characters, but Matt thinks some gamers will wet themselves upon learning of this game.

- Both games are going to be very cool, and everyone should be very excited about them. They are not vaporware.

Speculationton!

Ikael

Was anything else said about these "misterious games" in another previous podcasta? are they first or third party?

Ikael said:
Was anything else said about these "misterious games" in another previous podcasta? are they first or third party?

They're third party as far as we know.
One is a dark game that is more hardcore.
The other is a revived franchise with a good team behind it.

AceBandage said:
They're third party as far as we know.
One is a dark game that is more hardcore.
The other is a revived franchise with a good team behind it.

I thought the "dark game" was an original IP that didn't have a publisher. Is there more than one?

Father_Brain said:
I thought the "dark game" was an original IP that didn't have a publisher. Is there more than one?

I'm actually a bit confused about all this, but from the sounds of it, there are two games coming to Wii that are part of seperate franchises.

I think the dark game is seperate from all this.

ivysaur12 said:
Making a profit on the 360 is leagues harder than on the Wii. Not to say that the 360 software sales aren't amazing, but it doesn't take much to break even on the Wii. 100,000, on average, I believe I heard somewhere. Compare that to the 360.
What 360 number do I use for comparison with your mystery source Wii dev costs?

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm actually a bit confused about all this, but from the sounds of it, there are two games coming to Wii that are part of seperate franchises.

I think the dark game is seperate from all this.

That could be...
It really sucks getting these teases from Matt, though.
One day, I'm gonna Solid Snake my way into IGN HQ and make them tell me everything.

Grecco

It sounds like theres two products.

One uses the wiimote well. Peer is a fan of the franchise.

The other has "stupid characters"

One of them is an advertiser on IGN.

AceBandage said:
That could be...
It really sucks getting these teases from Matt, though.
One day, I'm gonna Solid Snake my way into IGN HQ and make them tell me everything.

The second game mentioned in this podcast was the game mentioned last week.

I think there are three games all together. Two based on different franchises (with at least one of them being a franchise that hasn't had an installment for several generations), and the "dark game".

Vieo

Y'know what I've always wondered about the Virtual Console? Does Nintendo have to pay Sony royalties for emulation of SNES' soundchip?

ethelred

_Alkaline_ said:
- Numbers don't include some retailers such as Walmart, so the numbers are even larger.

NPD estimates for WalMart.

_Alkaline_ said:
- Hope to see more import games (like Sin and Punishment) and expect this because it appears that Nintendo is paying attention to the wider gaming community.

lolwhat

Grecco said:
Konami, Midway, Sega,Namco, EA, Activision , Eidos are all curent advertisers on IGN.

Which begs the question... which one had a game with stupid characters that would be a good fit on the Wii?
Namco has some series, but I can't think of one specifically...

DEO3

I just finished Metroid Prime, it deserves so much better. Such a good game. Fuck you Nintendo for not marketing it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Linkup said:
That would fit the stupid characters info.

That's exactly what I was basing it on. That and the quote that fans would wet themselves, I'd only use that discriptor for a very few lapsed franchises.

Grecco

It aint Chrono. Im pretty sure thats never going to happen.

Thinking about the companies advertising on IGN. None of them have a franchise that might be a major returning franchise. I guess Castlevania from Konami could be big, but quite honestly THQ? Activision? Namco? Splatterhouse? Heh.

Busaiku

That's too bad for a New Blood.
After Second Opinion, I was honestly expecting a lot more.
I'm surprised at the Resident Evil love though.

Grecco

Ironballs said:
Metroid Prime 3 hasn't even hit 500k. That's not just sad, it actually kinda pisses me off.

Its going to outsell Echoes. With a pisspoor minialistic "blitz" campaign. Nothing to be angry about.

Grecco

ethelred said:
I could be angry with Nintendos piss poor marketing of the thing but ive gotten to the point of acceptance, and a misguided hope that with Perrin gone things might improve.

Lobster

Banned
Grecco said:
Its going to outsell Echoes. With a pisspoor minialistic "blitz" campaign. Nothing to be angry about.

There is indeed something to be angry about though..Don't know about anyone else..but I reckon that the Metroid Prime series opens itself up to some really awesome marketing campaigns.

namor7

thanks for the summary. id listen, but hearing them (bozon, especially) yap and do that fanboy voice is a truly painful experience.

donny2112

schuelma said:

Not by this point in the GameCube's life. I also think third-parties gave the GameCube more of a chance, at first, than they gave the Wii, and so had more ready for near the system's launch. A minor point, but I feel it's probably worth noting.

donny2112 said:
Not by this point in the GameCube's life. I also think third-parties gave the GameCube more of a chance, at first, than they gave the Wii, and so had more ready for near the system's launch. A minor point, but I feel it's probably worth noting.

It's hard to quantify that - I can't say one way or another whether they gave GC more of a chance, but even in the first year of GC's lifespan, I recall a fair number of "PS2 and Xbox" multiplatform games.

Ironballs

Father_Brain said:
It's hard to quantify that - I can't say one way or another whether they gave GC more of a chance, but even in the first year of GC's lifespan, I recall a fair number of "PS2 and Xbox" multiplatform games.

Well, its fair to assume many multiplatform games don't appear on Wii due to the inferior technology. In the GCN days, Multiplatform games didn't make it to GCN because it just wasn't worth it.

ethelred

Grecco said:
I could be angry with Nintendos piss poor marketing of the thing but ive gotten to the point of acceptance, and a misguided hope that with Perrin gone things might improve.

Marketing isn't the issue here. It's actually a cheap copout.

Metroid Prime 2 was released in the tail end of a year that saw the release of a lot of high profile, competitive software aimed at the gaming demographic. The same cannot be said of Metroid Prime 3, which got its whole "Big Three" nickname precisely because it was one of only three notable, major hardcore games being released (and, of course, that number was eventually whittled down to two). It's still performed anemically. That's not really a good thing. The game has had a lot more breathing room, a lot more focus, and a lot less competition than its predecessor had. It also had a lot more of a positive reception critically and popularly. None of that has amounted to all that much.

Trying to lay the blame for all of this at the feet of "poor marketing" is an easy answer that attempts to elide what should be much deeper concerns about what this game's failure means.

donny2112 said:
Not by this point in the GameCube's life.

You think? I don't know. I don't have month by month reckonings for way back then, just lots of final LTDs, so it's a bit hard to quantify exactly. I know that there are 5 third party GameCube games that have sold more than Guitar Hero 3 Wii that came out at an earlier point in the GameCube's life than GH3 did in the Wii's... and hey, one of those was an Activision game, too. So I'm not really sure where that leaves us.

ethelred said:
Marketing isn't the issue here. It's actually a cheap copout.

Metroid Prime 2 was released in the tail end of a year that saw the release of a lot of high profile, competitive software aimed at the gaming demographic. The same cannot be said of Metroid Prime 3, which got its whole "Big Three" nickname precisely because it was one of only three notable, major hardcore games being released (and, of course, that number was eventually whittled down to two). It's still performed anemically. That's not really a good thing. The game has had a lot more breathing room, a lot more focus, and a lot less competition than its predecessor had. It also had a lot more of a positive reception critically and popularly. None of that has amounted to all that much.

Trying to lay the blame for all of this at the feet of "poor marketing" is an easy answer that attempts to elide what should be much deeper concerns about what this game's failure means.
You're big mistake was applying GAF hype(or internet hype in general) to real world applications.

RBH

The BIGS = nearly 200,000

MLB Power Pro = around 80,000

Hm, both of these games did better than I thought they would, especially Power Pro.

That may be a good sign for Power Pro coming to the U.S. again next year.

Top Bottom