• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Wii-Kly (2/11/08)

Bad Russian NeoGAF accents return!

Boom Blox has dynamic AI, and each Blox has its own AI and will react differently to situations ever time.
Hmm...
Ah, they pipe in the audio from the Factor 5 interview.

There's no reason for IGN to use music EGM use. I know neither of them own it but it's just...weird.

Anyway, I'm listening. If anything amazing happens you can bet your ass I'll post it.

Milabrega

Summary Complete:

Smash Bros.:

-Pikmin are multiple throw items.
-Matt has been trying to force himself into using the wii-mote only option. Fran a more core smash player, found he could do everything he needed to do with the option, though he still prefers to use the GC.
-Better than Galaxy/Metroid?? Matt: No, not for him. It is a really damn fine great fighter, but it does have some issues that need to be acknowledged.
-They haven't decided who will review it, perhaps multiple people since its so huge

SSE:

-Matt on SSE: Its not entirely polished, its a good single player mode but it does have its flaws
-Some loading screens have ten second loads.
-Bozon "There may be a different ending i still gotta get"
-Bozon "It did start to get more fun, at about the 50% mark when you're no longer playing to unlock characters and the evil presence really makes its mark and you want to start it"
-When it comes to review, even though we don't love the single player much, we realize its a multiplayer oriented game so it won't be doc'd a lot of points for what is essentially a side mode, they then go on to list the vast amounts of other side modes

MoH:Heroes Australia:

-No explanation provided for why there was no online
-PR said it was a misprint on the box.

BoomBlox:

-We like it, fun Jenga-style game for the Wii, feels like it was designed for the Wii.
-Bozon originally thought it would be a mid 7.0's game before going over to EA thinking it would be kinda meh, apparently after the EA visit he's enthused about the game.
-Matt's biggest let down was that in the level editor when you start to make huge levels, there could be some slow down, they hope its fixed prior to release.
-"Its one of those games that'll get a score, but really its a fun game to play with the family"

Okami:

-No advertising blowout, no TV commercials
-No New Content, but the controls are feeling better and it looks better.

Julian (Factor 5 President) Interview:

(Paraphrased responses but very accurate)

Q -- Will this game push the Wii Hardware?
A -- We want to push the hardware, for us its easy to push the hardware. A lot of it is exploiting the uniqueness of the Wii. On the graphical side of course we are going to try to out due everything else on the platform, like we did with the GC star wars games, but of course the emphasis is on the controls. He personally really loves the pointing device. Pointing stuff is probably the biggest innovation they are working on right now.

-Matt and Bozon talk a little about how some games over-use the waggle just to waggle(No specifics) then talk about PES and their innovative use of the IR.

Q -- Are you going to use the nun-chuck controller?
A -- I can't comment yet, you try to design every game for the Wii to avoid the nun-chuck, but for some games the nun-chuck is a very viable option. When trying to go casual, the first barrier to over come is the ability to not have to use the nun-chuck.

-Matt and Bozon talk a little about how they like how games are designed for the Wii-Mote, but plugging in the nun-chuck can give you a little added effect (Boom Blox)

Q -- How far along in development are they?
A -- We are pretty much at a state where we are almost done with the engine. We've also worked on content quite a bit. Biggest milestone is the engine, does everything (pretty much) the PS3 does and then some. So we're happy with that.

-Matt and Bozon talk about the PS3 comments. They think what he means about the PS3 comments he was referring to the controls of Lair. Glad the engine is done.

Q -- Did they give up on the idea of a flying game? (After the canceled Pilot Wings project back in the day)
A -- Would never give up on the idea of a flying game, well maybe not an entirely flying game. ....(history of Factor 5 relation with nintendo late GC Era)... There were never any hard feelings about Factor 5 going to work on other consoles, since Nintendo was quiet about Wii, Factor 5 had to dive into the other consoles to keep the studio running so they didn't have to fire people.

Q -- Something to generate hype, a hint?
A -- At least what we're working on will blow them away with the technical achievement. We hope that we can blow them away by the innovation in controls, accessibility, new experiences. As for what property, is it a Nintendo property, Third party property, internal property he won't comment.

Q -- Casual or Hardcore?
A -- As Casual as possible. Not the attempt to suddenly capture the attention and heart of the hardcore market. Unsure how many games they will make for Wii. There are publishers talking about doing things for the hardcore market on the platform, our engine would be perfect for that, but he says they will wait to see how some of those hardcore games sell.

Bozon - Interesting to hear Factor 5 say they will use the motion and IR for their game, while Smash and Mario really did have traditional controls when you think about it.

***Matt - Apply the rumors being thrown around about Factor 5, then apply them to what Factor 5 just said, and think about how those can meld, should prove for some interesting ideas. "Of course we can't comment, <Giggles>".

Coming Soon this week/ Valentine's day:

- Cool story coming next week about publishers/developers having trouble selling an adult style game on Wii. Piece should be enlightening and interesting to a lot of people. Can't comment on what game its about, but the developer will come on a podcast about the game and they will show the game. Since they are having a difficult time getting a publisher. Bozon likes this kind of feature a lot more than his issuing out PR. Should be a look at the world beyond PR, reviews, media and Press releases.

-On Valentine's day they will be unveiling some games that are darker in nature. (Yes, plural)

Questions:

-Insiders only as of now. May put a template for people to submit.

Q -- Any unbalanced feeling characters?
Matt -- Olimar&Pikmin are difficult to use
Bozon -- Olimar and Dedede. Though Dedede can lay the smack down to some characters
Both -- Meta-Knight and Pit have some serious cheese 1 on 1

Q -- More time with Brawl still like it?
Both -- Liking it a lot more.

Q -- Price on Boom Blox?
A -- $49. They both would like it 30-40

Q -- Civ. Revolution gone forever?
A -- Sorta on hold forever. Hope it goes DS.

-Chatter about their review standards.

Q -- Star Fox for Wii, When?
Matt -- Hopefully never. It was great back in the day, it was one of the first 3d games so that was the wow.
Both --Now every game is 3d. Make it Sonic and the Secret Rings Roller coaster ride 3d, and no one has been able to do it yet. Keep them in vehicles no Jet Force Gemini Light having them run around. No DS game either where its half strategy and really don't know what to do with it.
Bozon -- Hope Nintendo makes it a $10 Wii-ware game, old school arcade style, but they don't think it will happen.

Q -- Why were you both confident there would be Square and Capcom characters in Brawl, why do Sega and Konami each have one?
Matt -- Thought it was natural, figured these companies have been partnering for years now. Hopefully theres some WiiConnect24 thing, but doubts it
Bozon -- Thought since they had all these musicians from all these companies working together in this big collaborated effort, with Sonic and Snake already in, thought it would have been just natural. Instead its still a Nintendo show with two friends. Ended up more closed off than they thought it would be.

Q -- GDC big Nintendo announcement?
A -- I wouldn't say big, but medium size news. Would be surprised if this wasn't used to show off something with Wii-Ware or WiiDS channel. Nintendo doesn't have a big key note.
Third Party perhaps.

Q -- NA WiiFit and Mario Kart dates soon?
A -- Hopefully pretty soon, think around GDC should be expected.

Q -- Now that Nintendo is publishing Fatal Frame, can we expect others to want to publish dark games?
A -- Theres a bunch of dark games... Bad news is one of the dark games got canned because Nintendo wanted to mini-ize it. Matt "There you go everyone Nintendo wants to make mini games everyone, sometimes". Same thing also happened to Project Hammer. One of the dark games they mentioned is the one they will show next week.

Q -- What level of difficulty did they start out on SSE?
A -- Started out at Green, then moved up. About 50% of the play been on the Yellow one, but he has done the hard one a little.

Q -- Load times in Brawl?
A -- Multiplayer, pretty quick, 2 seconds if that. SSE sometimes 10 seconds. Game has a 2 second load screen on start up that just says Loading.

Q -- Third party alternatives to voice chat?
A -- Ya, think you will see it. Depends on when Nintendo puts out its voice chat solution, which is definitely coming. Reference people back to the feature they talked about the voice chat, very not traditional. When that happens third parties will tap into that for the traditional headset. Once Nintendo announces what they are doing, it'll take not even a week for people to tap into that.

Q -- WiiDS download channel?
A -- No idea

Q -- Final Smashes, how do you feel?
A -- Likes Samus, Mario, Links. Not like the blue shell at all, its really fun when they appear. Mention the cloned FS, Star Foxes and Links.

Q -- What do you feel is absolutely essential in a Wii version of Animal Crossing?
A -- Online component. Want Voice chat and open it up a little better. Fishing needs to be amazing.

eznark

Banned
layzie1989 said:
Man these rock this is the best podcast

I'm preparing for more bashing of subspace emissary

but are you prepared for the possibility that SE isn't that great?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
-Next Thursday they will have a reveal of a mature-ish Wii game

schuelma

eznark said:
out of curiosity, next Thursday or this coming Thursday (14th)?

Err sorry..they said Valentine's Day- so this Thursday.

schuelma

- They expect some "medium sized" announcements by Nintendo at GDC.

eznark

Banned
Baiano19 said:
Well, it actually is that great.

I f'in hope so, it's pretty much all I'm buying the game for. I just meant that preparing yourself for someone criticizing a product you're looking forward to and not for the possibility of that product not living up to your expectations is an odd way to go about livin.

It angers me that publishers refuse to take a risk with the Wii (in response to the darker game that was in the works but isn't coming).
Seriously, it's been shown that Wii owners WILL buy more mature games, but nooooooo.
Publishers have to be little bitches about it.

Francois the Great said:
omg megaton!!

871hi5x.gif

schuelma said:
- They expect some "medium sized" announcements by Nintendo at GDC.

Resurrection of a Nintendo franchise to be confirmed!

More like it'll be announced that the franchise in question will be announced at a later date. Believe it.

VOOK said:
Na we are pretty good at getting the channels at the same time.

I just remember hearing a lot of angry people wanting a Metroid Prime channel. And that wasn't even good.

Matt just said a "dark game" was cancelled cos Nintendo wanted to make it a mini game collection. NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

TheGreatDave said:
I just remember hearing a lot of angry people wanting a Metroid Prime channel. And that wasn't even good.

Matt just said a "dark game" was cancelled cos Nintendo wanted to make it a mini game collection. NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It is interesting how Nintendo works.
They announce a dark game like Fatal Frame just to cancel another.

AceBandage said:
It is interesting how Nintendo works.
They announce a dark game like Fatal Frame just to cancel another.

Let's just hope it's because the game was shit and they were trying to simplify it. Not cos they hate video games.

*wanders in*

No full synopsis yet? Honestly, this is one thing I love about NeoGAF. I don't have to listen to podcast, others suffer through it for me.

*wanders out*

Guled

AlternativeUlster said:
medium announcements will be Disaster's fall release date, Kirby Wii finally dated, maybe Elektroplankton Wii, & some other things like that.
what about FE DS, the most important Nintendo title not named SSB

batbeg

Factor 5 casual gaming? :lol Should still be interesting to see how they push the Wii. This podcast seems to have some pretty good info today. I wonder about the game on Thursday, probably nothing too special.

I remember Factor 5 talked about wanting Lair to appeal to a casual audience. So I wouldn't take their phrasing to mean "lol minigame"

Milabrega said:
Q -- Casual or Hardcore?
A -- As Casual as possible. Not the attempt to suddenly capture the attention and heart of the hardcore market. Unsure how many games they will make for Wii. There are publishers talking about doing things for the hardcore market on the platform, our engine would be perfect for that, but he says they will wait to see how some of those hardcore games sell.
=

god damnit

TheGreatDave said:
I remember Factor 5 talked about wanting Lair to appeal to a casual audience. So I wouldn't take their phrasing to mean "lol minigame"

Hell, some people consider games like Halo casual. Mass appeal comes in many forms.

donny2112

batbeg said:
Factor 5 casual gaming? :lol

As long as it's not something like that Funkydilla from Game Zero (Goldeneye creator). Boy, was that a waste of material. They only showed the concept, but it conceptually stunk.

Jiggy

Milabrega said:
SSE:

-When it comes to review, even though we don't love the single player much, we realize its a multiplayer oriented game so it won't be doc'd a lot of points for what is essentially a side mode, they then go on to list the vast amounts of other side modes
It shouldn't be docked even a couple. That would be almost as silly as taking points from Fire Emblem 7 because the "multiplayer" sucked, or reviewing the GBA Super Mario Bros. 3 and factoring the quality of Mario Bros. into the score. A game should never score worse than its best component part, particularly when that component part comprises more than half the game and is a standalone title in its own right.

Teknoman

Milabrega said:
-Matt has been trying to force himself into using the wii-mote only option. Fran a more core smash player, found he could do everything he needed to do with the option, though he still prefers to use the GC.

Okami:

-No advertising blowout, no TV commercials
-No New Content, but the controls are feeling better and it looks better.

Julian (Factor 5 President) Interview:

(Paraphrased responses but very accurate)

Q -- Will this game push the Wii Hardware?
A -- We want to push the hardware, for us its easy to push the hardware, for us its easy. A lot of it is exploiting the uniqueness of the Wii. On the graphical side of course we are going to try to out due everything else on the platform, like we did with the GC star wars games, but of course the emphasis is on the controls. He personally really loves the pointing device. Pointing stuff is probably the biggest innovation they are working on right now.

Q -- Are you going to use the nun-chuck controller?
A -- I can't comment yet, you try to design every game for the Wii to avoid the nun-chuck, but for some games the nun-chuck is a very viable option. When trying to go casual, the first barrier to over come is the ability to not have to use the nun-chuck.

Q -- Casual or Hardcore?

-On Valentine's day they will be unveiling some games that are darker in nature. (Yes, plural)

Q -- Star Fox for Wii, When?
Matt -- Hopefully never. It was great back in the day, it was one of the first 3d games so that was the wow.
Both --Now every game is 3d. Make it Sonic and the Secret Rings Roller coaster ride 3d, and no one has been able to do it yet. Keep them in vehicles no Jet Force Gemini Light having them run around. No DS game either where its half strategy and really don't know what to do with it.
Bozon -- Hope Nintendo makes it a $10 Wii-ware game, old school arcade style, but they don't think it will happen.

Ok im gonna tackle these in order:

Why the hell would anyone even force themself to play with wiimote only? If you want a GC alternative, just use the classic or Wiimote+Nunchuck. Seriously. It feels like everyone is trying to ignore those two options.

Okami looking better and controlling better? Ehh...i'll believe it when I see it. If it's really an improvement like RE4 wii from RE4 cube, then sure i'll bite. Especially if the price is bargain style. If not, i'll just hang with my PS2 version.

Yay on Factor 5 actually trying to push the Wii's hardware. $%*# at Factor 5 for trying to go all the way casual. WTF? Why wait for others to make hardcore games to see if they'll sell? Why not take the reigns and try to force more hardcore stuff to appear. Also we've already seen hardcore stuff sell alot on the Wii.

Happy about seeing some "darker" games on the Wii. Could always use more variety. Hopefully great titles to add to the already lineup of RE4 Wii, Umbrella Chronicles, and Fatal Frame 4.

Boo at Matt for saying he hopes Star Fox Wii never comes. At least Bozon is being somewhat optimistic. I'd play a Wiiware Star Fox game with great Wii graphics...however i'd still like to see a full fledged effort on the console.

Milabrega said:
8.7 CONFIRMED! :lol

Polari

I don't see how or why Nintendo would make any announcements at GDC. It doesn't look like any of the higher-ups are attending or do they perhaps have a conference around the same time that I am unaware of?

Teknoman said:
Why the hell would anyone even force themself to play with wiimote only? If you want a GC alternative, just use the classic or Wiimote+Nunchuck. Seriously. It feels like everyone is trying to ignore those two options.

What? I think that it's great that Matt's doing this. I can see most reviewers trying it for a few bouts then going, "okay hook up the GC controller," but I think it's a testament to Matt to really investigate how well it controls with just a Wiimote, even though he's fully aware that it's fundamentally flawed for this game.

Going on with that, most if not all of us on GAF are going to play with GC controllers, but those from the general public who bought their Wiis for Wii Sports, and may just pickup Brawl for curiosity sake are probably going to be more comfortable with something that looks like an NES pad rather then a controller with two analog controllers, a d-pad, 4 face buttons, and 3 triggers. I think it's amazing that Sakurai and company found a way to make ALL the controller options playable in some fashion or another.

Top Bottom