• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN will be announcing a "new AAA game from a major developer" at 8am PST tomorrow

So, all but confirmed to be Saints Row V? Bummer. Was hoping for something exciting, but I guess it's still early to be hyped. This week is going to drag.

And lol @ Deep Silver/Volition being an AAA developer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean I agree that we should start AAA development at $40 or maybe even $50+ million in 2016 (and disqualify about 60%+ of games currently called AAA), but a $30+ million game from Volition still fits with how most people use the term.

I mean I agree that we should start AAA development at $40 or maybe even $50+ million in 2016 (and disqualify about 60%+ of games currently called AAA), but a $30+ million game from Volition still fits with how most people use the term.

They are 300 people who worked at the game for 3 years, isn't that almost the same as Naughty Dog with Uncharted 4?

I mean, they sure as hell aren't indie, I just wouldn't go so far as to call them AAA. Especially IGN calling them AAA, it'spretty surprising.

Oh god! No, please not some shitty Ed Boon game. That'd be so disappointing but I can see that it's the kind of game that would be announced on a website rather than E3.

Trace

Banned
Ugh Saint's Row...

If it's more like 2, I'll be hype. 3 - 4 were too far on the stupid scale for me to care.

You know, it could be a Saints Row reboot that was actually teasered in Gat Outta Hell, where God created a parallel universe. In this universe the Saints are actually cops!

It kinda makes sense, as it drops all the baggage of the previous games and giving the series something new and fresh without having to alienate all the violence & destruction people love. Perhaps taking the storytelling and gameplay back to Saints Row 2 levels of awesome. Plus they can finally get rid of the silly superpowers. Can you imagine it, Johnny Gat as SPD' Dirty Harry!

Come on Volition, make my day.

Squire

Banned
Volition has been streaming the SR games and cut material from them the past few months. What's interesting is they've been doing it chronologically, so going from SR1-4. So this is SR5 or Agents of Mayhem is a spiritual successor to the series.

Really wouldn't get my hopes up for Red Faction.

Hasney

xfumKHv.gif

But Saints Row would be phenomenal for me and overshadow RDR.

So, all but confirmed to be Saints Row V? Bummer. Was hoping for something exciting, but I guess it's still early to be hyped. This week is going to drag.

Why are they not AAA? Those games have a high budget. I mean, they had Keith David.

ArjanN

You know, it could be a Saints Row reboot that was actually teasered in Gat Outta Hell, where God created a parallel universe. In this universe the Saints are actually cops!

It kinda makes sense, as it drops all the baggage of the previous games and giving the series something new and fresh without having to alienate all the violence & destruction people love. Perhaps taking the storytelling and gameplay back to Saints Row 2 levels of awesome. Plus they can finally get rid of the silly superpowers. Can you imagine it, Johnny Gat as SPD' Dirty Harry!

Come on Volition, make my day.

Doesn't seem like the most culturally appropriate time to release a game where you play as cops gunning down tons of people. Probably wouldn't go over well.

But Saints Row would be phenomenal for me and overshadow RDR.

Why are they not AAA? Those games have a high budget. I mean, they had Keith David.

They're pretty close, but it's not GTA, Call of Duty etc big, so you're still likely going to get overshadowed at E3, especially if you don't get time on stage at any of the conferences it's probably better to get out in front of E3.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'll only take Saints Row if it has Red Faction style destruction.

How long can Volition sit on that sexy geomod engine? Really...

A new saints row? I havent even start playing 4 yet. I wonder Where will they go after superheroes and hell? Maybe kaiju and giant robots?

Squire

Banned
Doesn't seem like the most culturally appropriate time to release a game where you play as cops gunning down tons of people. Probably wouldn't go over well.

Battlefield Hardline came out, was tone deaf as hell, and was completely fine. At least if Volition did it, it would in all likelihood be satirical.

I mean, o don't think that's what they're making, but I definitely don't see why they couldn't get away with it when a brand with way more visibility like BF could.

oti

Banned

Saints Row V is exciting.
Deep Silver/Volition is a AAA developer.

i never really thought of Saints Row as an AAA game or Volition as a major developer. the double whammy of disappointment.
Maybe they've seen, it's further along than we suspect and it's amazing?

Just keep the full co-op. I'll take gritty roots reboot over V and I'm sure they said they would be doing that with the next one.

1 and 2 we're funny while gritty, easily reachable for these guys again.

Some Nobody

This week is going to be interesting nonetheless. There's:

- Whatever this is.
- GI cover reveal on Tuesday
- Ubisoft said they'd reveal their new IP before E3, and we're on the last week.

I'd bet a few other things surface before the week is over, too.

eerik9000

That three letter combination gets thrown around so much it doesn't really mean anything these days. It is supposed to mark only the biggest, the most expensive, the highest level of quality, the highest amount of care and craftsmanship, but in reality everybody who spends a bit more money on development feels they are entitled to call their product "AAA".

Video game journalism is hilarious. If you have something to report then report it. Don't pimp yourselves into the advertising arm of publishers by talking about it only when they schedule you to do so.

Top Bottom