• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Touch

They're just the loudest voices
Exactly the point. These are some of the "loudest voices" larger media sites (the ones you would prefer to not have issues) are, well, having the issue. Just think if none of the bigger sites had issues. I doubt this would have got this carried away. Sucks. But I guess the positive is that we are getting lots of good information about fixes and the issue it self.

I see a few things going on regarding these "issues".

The first is mass hysteria among some that seem to be ignorant of the fact that ALL consumer grade electronics manufactured on a mass scale (hundreds of thousands -> millions) can and will have a certain percentage of them that for whatever reason are faulty. There were PLENTY of defective iPhone's at launch. Plenty. We don't hear much about it in the press due to Apple Stores. Phone screwed? Swap it out at the Genius Bar. No shipping. Typically no reason to rage-blog about it.

The second is in this thread and other places where some gamers NOT getting a PS4 just enjoying rubbing some salt on. These are the people taking glee in trying to meme this shit already and just enjoying the fact that this might be a "thing". It's petty, it's silly and I think it's really juvenile.

And I think the worst of all is the gaming press really trying their best to run with this and turn this into a "thing". Obviously it's just for the *clicks*. Obviously they know that gamers tend to be very brand conscious and brand loyal and they have no problem playing that up doubly so when it's launch day drama that can get them more ad impressions.

The real tangible concern is: Is this an out of the ordinary issue. And right now the answer is: Absolutely not. We have to wait and see. But ANY time you buy a high end piece of electronics with complex parts there will be a fail rate. Do I think 0.4% is accurate? Obviously that number may change in the next 2-4 weeks but if you have a pre-order, see games you want and generally would normally get a PS4 at launch I see nothing that would suggest you shouldn't do so due to this "issue".

Satchel

Banned
It's one of those anecdotal things due to social media. I knew of no one with any of those issues with their phones.

I went through 4 iPhone 4s (not 4S) myself and I treat my stuff extraordinarily well. Let's not forget antennagate.

My wife's 5C right now is having numerous issues and the 5S accelerometer was screwed up and needed a firmware update.

the 13" MacBook Pros had issues with the keyboard and trackpad that needed an update.

Horrible because people report or because there aren't hardware problems on Apple's (the gods) products?

Apple is somewhat immune to hardware failing, something that happens with every company in the world now.

Untrue that Apple doesn't have hardware issues on a large scale. They do. Across the whole line.

But Apple's problems go away fairly quickly because of how well they deal with issues.

Microsoft and Sony could learn a thing or two from them when it comes to warranty procedures and the like.

heyf00L

I had something like that happen with an SD card adapter once. Yeah, I just pushed the pins back down. Kind of a pain, though.

Anyone knowledgeable about circuit boards able to chime in?

As stated above, it seems there are two issues at play:

1) HDMI ports possibly being faulty
2) Background downloads locking things up

Now given that last gen had background downloads, you'd think that wouldn't be an issue.. the only difference I can immediately guess at is the dedicated chip for background processes/downloads ("secondary chip")

Anyways, long story short, here's the layout:

ps4-system-board-wired-640x428.jpg

Secondary chip being labelled as such:

10733611556_ea8378cf0c_o.jpg

And is being pointed to in this pic:

sony-ps4-secondary-processor.png

Now the back of the PS4 to see the ports:
ps4_front_back.jpg

Puts it sort of in the general area of the secondary chip.

But as I said, I have no idea how circuit boards work, or if it's even possibly related.

Probably not, given that one is hardware and the other is likely software obviously.

Also, for future reference, if someone gets the BLOD and manages to recover, I wonder if disabling background downloads could alleviate those corrupted download issues. Or does the chip continue them regardless? From the sounds of things once someone "fixes" or recovers it ends up failing again, which suggests to me the background downloader being responsible.

Electrical engineer here. It could be a lot of things.

Many of these chips that power the PS4 have features such as UVLO (undervoltage lockout), current limit, and thermal shutdown. Any of these features can cause a sudden cut in the output. Without more information I don't think we can determine the root cause.

It can also be something as simple as the cable not making contact with the pins, as the IGN cable described.

d0nd

picked mine up

seems to be working will try to post pictures in the morning!

woohooo

happy playstation day!!!

a quick note:

when you power it down it takes a good amount of time

d0nd

yes!

been playing this morning have not uploaded videos

i did the update

seems okay , even great!!!

woohoo happy ps4 gafers

bfett9

Neo Member
I am glad that so many of the systems are working for you guys. But this .4% stat is BS. I won the Taco Bell Promo along with several other members of a different website. Of the 10 of us roughly 6+ all got defective PS4.

Also this bent HDMI thing does not play out atleast with my unit. I tried fiddling with the port no luck. I am going to try the HDD fix later.

Here is a video of whats happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvitvoDSWk

Jburton

Banned
I am glad that so many of the systems are working for you guys. But this .4% stat is BS. I won the Taco Bell Promo along with several other members of a different website. Of the 10 of us roughly 6+ all got defective PS4.

Also this bent HDMI thing does not play out atleast with my unit. I tried fiddling with the port no luck. I am going to try the HDD fix later.

Here is a video of whats happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvitvoDSWk

Obviously from your small sample it's 60% but the majority on here and else where are working and nowhere near your failure rate.

Something odd going on with that Taco Bell batch.

Sorry to hear about your problems though.

goonergaz

Personally I think there's 2 things happening here with the HDMI issue.

1) excited/abusive buyers not being careful are damaging the HDMI port
2) folk are using their own HDMI cables that are maybe catching on the surrounding plastic so not fitting correctly

I think the design of the PS4 probably doesn't help with the back not being straight as it were.

bfett9

Neo Member
Personally I think there's 2 things happening here with the HDMI issue.

1) excited/abusive buyers not being careful are damaging the HDMI port
2) folk are using their own HDMI cables that are maybe catching on the surrounding plastic so not fitting correctly

I think the design of the PS4 probably doesn't help with the back not being straight as it were.

I have used their HDMI cable, I have used my HDMI Cable, I have tried 3 different monitors (one of which is the PS 3D monitor!), I spent 30+ mins with support trying safe mode etc...nothing. I have also compared it to the HDMI port of my PS3 looks the same

Also some people who got it from Best Buy were reporting similiar issues.

No issues with my launch PS4.

HDMI cable included with the system worked just fine. Update over Ethernet worked like a charm.

Played Killzone for about an hour. No issues other than PSN being down.

My launch PS4 is defective. I've been on the phone with Sony with over an hour and a half, with Amazon on an hour and no one wants to even lift a finger to help.

Thats different tho. Wasn't that EVERY iphone? That was just an awful design flaw.

Whats wrong with it?
I don't see anything in the actual HDMI port that could cause the issue, but if you watch the Kotaku video it's doing the same exact thing.

Basically it shows HDMI active on the tv but with no signal. The blue light pulses but nothing ever comes on the screen.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Horrible because people report or because there aren't hardware problems on Apple's (the gods) products?

Apple is somewhat immune to hardware failing, something that happens with every company in the world now.

That's horse shit I know more people with iphone/ipad/macbook problems in the past 5-10 years then all tvs/game consoles/other phones and computers combined.

Hell my gf had to go to the apple store FOURTEEN TIMES for them to finally get their shit together with her brand new laptop.

I don't see anything in the actual HDMI port that could cause the issue, but if you watch the Kotaku video it's doing the same exact thing.

Basically it shows HDMI active on the tv but with no signal. The blue light pulses but nothing ever comes on the screen.

That is the thing, everyone keeps quoting that Kotaku article like it is revealing some divine information. Guess what, it isn't.

1. They had a borked PS4, narrowed the issue down to HDMI port (not sure what though).
2. Sony contacted them, picked it up, and stated that it was a bent piece of metal.
3. Now everyone assumes that the information is factual and can probably be easily solved.

There is zero evidence that the metal piece is the problem or that it is so easily fixable. I'm pretty sure I can look at the back of the PS4 and tell if something is obstructing the HDMI cable from being plugged in.

I'm sure you can do the same. More than likely there is something a bit more odd occurring than a piece of metal that can be easily fixed by bending it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mty Wobblegate Impressions:

I can now confirm that if you do not deliberately wobble the PS4 that it will never wobble. And that there is never a natural reason to wobble it. Although it is addictive when you do it.

grifta67

Neo Member
Reporting in with another non-working PS4, likely HDMI.

Screen flickers, like the TV is trying to grab a signal with no luck. Some attempts have produced white lines flickering on screen. edit: blue light pulses on start up then goes to the solid white light.

I've examined the port a few times with a flashlight, it looks totally fine to me. Tried different HDMI cables, including a brand new one and the one that works fine with my PS3. Called Sony, did all their troubleshooting, including reseating the HD and booting with no HD, no luck.

I find it pretty disappointing that they're quoting 3-5 business days just to get the return box and then another 7-10 business days once they receive it to get me a fixed console. And I find it even more absurd that they thought it would be a good time to try and upsell me to the extended warranty.

-Sean

waypoetic

Banned
I see a few things going on regarding these "issues".

The first is mass hysteria among some that seem to be ignorant of the fact that ALL consumer grade electronics manufactured on a mass scale (hundreds of thousands -> millions) can and will have a certain percentage of them that for whatever reason are faulty. There were PLENTY of defective iPhone's at launch. Plenty. We don't hear much about it in the press due to Apple Stores. Phone screwed? Swap it out at the Genius Bar. No shipping. Typically no reason to rage-blog about it.

The second is in this thread and other places where some gamers NOT getting a PS4 just enjoying rubbing some salt on. These are the people taking glee in trying to meme this shit already and just enjoying the fact that this might be a "thing". It's petty, it's silly and I think it's really juvenile.

And I think the worst of all is the gaming press really trying their best to run with this and turn this into a "thing". Obviously it's just for the *clicks*. Obviously they know that gamers tend to be very brand conscious and brand loyal and they have no problem playing that up doubly so when it's launch day drama that can get them more ad impressions.

The real tangible concern is: Is this an out of the ordinary issue. And right now the answer is: Absolutely not. We have to wait and see. But ANY time you buy a high end piece of electronics with complex parts there will be a fail rate. Do I think 0.4% is accurate? Obviously that number may change in the next 2-4 weeks but if you have a pre-order, see games you want and generally would normally get a PS4 at launch I see nothing that would suggest you shouldn't do so due to this "issue".

Good post!

Top Bottom