• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

I'm guessing people are overlooking something important about the IR detachable controllers claim.

The IR is referring to the detachable controllers that they communicate to the NX with IR when attached. Like the Circle Pad Pro.

If they work like the Circle Pad Pro then that's simple, we know it has to connect to the NX to work or to a module if you want a traditional type controller seperate from the NX when you play at home on the TV however.

This causes problems if you noticed the last thing I said. It's fine when connected to the NX however, it needs a module that has Bluetooth to wirelessly work with the NX if it is detached from it.

So thinking that the detachable controllers connecting to a module with Bluetooth and IR attached is fine, it makes sense. However, what about the Wii Remote rumours?

Are we going to have modules for a traditional controller and a Wii Remote Controller?

Or maybe a module for each Detachable controllers so that they can work in Wii Remote style and can then attach to each other to make a traditional controller?

Or would they just release a Wii U Pro type controller to save some fuss?

Edit: Or the detachable controllers could just have Bluetooth inside in the first place to save from using modules.

I just don't care anymore. I don't have it in me to speculate. They'll announce it when its ready but the wait has crossed the line from exciting to annoying.
The people waiting are infinitely more irritating than the wait itself, which doesn't bother me much at all. I'm cool with waiting.

Log4Girlz

Imagine the BOM for the Wiimote, they're probably aiming for that...but now it needs to be split in two because you want one on both sides. So its gonna feel cheap.

ggx2ac

I just remembered another point. This means the detachable controllers may not have a battery inside them if they are powered by the NX via IR. (Going by the patent description for IR controllers. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1261569 )

That means a module would be needed to do a supposed Wii Remote config to power the detachable controllers. (Now I'm starting to wonder how the Wii Remote rumour for NX would work... The detachable controllers are cheap so adding Bluetooth and batteries increases the cost.)

Imagine the BOM for the Wiimote, they're probably aiming for that...but now it needs to be split in two because you want one on both sides. So its gonna feel cheap.

??? The Wii Remote already feels like a piece of plastic. I'd prefer if it felt more like the Nunchuk.

tbro777

Neo Member
My prediction:

It will be called the NES, release on 3/5/17 and there will be a standard pro controller included for tv play.

Again my prediction, I don't know anything

AniHawk

they have their heads in the right place but that rumor list sounds like another flop console like the wii-u.

too focused on gimmicks. the reason why the Wii succeeded with it though was that they were ahead of the curve with the family motion control stuff.

what gimmicks? it sounds like a high end dedicated handheld with a tv out. seems really straightforward.

It's gonna be interesting how this whole thing turns out, but if Nintendo do actually somehow manage to pull off the 'hybrid' concept, it might be something fantastic. Not needing both a console and a handheld for two different libraries and being able to take my NX anywhere and even do LAN parties anywhere would be absolutely terrific. I also hope that Nintendo are gonna allow a lot of game-agnostic customization for controllers out of the box, if they're doing cheap controllers with IR identification, I can see them being able to implement a backend for handing controller customization so you can bind pretty much anything along with mixing and matching controller half types, much like how the Steam Controller works, that would be pretty rad.

Taker666

Detachable controllers are low budget. Very cheap (like the Wii nunchuck). Peer has heard they're using IR and it's not your main way of controlling the game (a "travel controller")

That seems odd. It makes it sound like there will be another controller as well as the detachable ones.....but if that's the case why bother making them detachable in the first place?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
If this console doesn't blow everyone away it is going to be hugely deflating. You can't build tension like this and not deliver in a VERY big way.

They haven't built any tension. They've said nothing and haven't teased anything. Not their fault that people have created an impossible hype bubble.

Davey Cakes

I don't get the reboot comment. How does that work in this context?
It's just a statement that creates more questions. Par for the course when it comes to NX.

Random unnamed dev said it. Yippee.

Call me when we get a nice piece of concrete info that actually says something about the system.

MDave

I just don't care anymore. I don't have it in me to speculate. They'll announce it when its ready but the wait has crossed the line from exciting to annoying.

Fucking reveal it already.

Announce an announcement at least. <--- Yes, this is the depth of my desperation.

I found a good video on YouTube for those that don't have the patience to wait for NX info anymore.

https://youtu.be/aZsyrIXeqfM

That and it's pretty informative! It reflects my current attitude towards waiting for the NX anyhow :p

KingBroly

Banned
That seems odd. It makes it sound like there will be another controller as well as the detachable ones.....but if that's the case why bother making them detachable in the first place?

Basically he's speculating that it'll be Nintendo's way of peripheralizing the device, like that mock-up of various controllers attaching to this thing.

ggx2ac

This is from the IR patent thread. (Just to show what the inside of a Circle Pad Pro looks like compared to the patent described in that thread.)

Circle Pad Pro still had some electrical components and required a battery.

18j11f6p9wr4ljpgm0sk5.jpg

Thanks man.

The guys at IGN just said the detachable controllers use IR, they are the first ones to state this.

It means the controllers might just only have buttons and such while the NX carries gyros and other motion sensors.

To keep the detachable controllers cheap, it can't have its own battery power.

It's making me wonder, if the new Wii Remote rumours were true, that possibly it might be released as a separate controller. (Maybe packed in with the NX.)

Edit: Think about it, the supposed new Wii Remote doesn't really need to be attached to the NX if the NX already has gyros etc. So it makes sense to think these will be the new multiplayer controller, and you'll probably get one packed in.

Asd202

Nintendo going for 720p while Sony and MS are aiming for checkbord/Naitve 4k with HDR. The difference in quality for marketing material will be huge.

Jacobs

Hope they won't reboot virtual console, don't want to buy everything again and wait for them to slowly release all titles.

ggx2ac

I'm going to guess no one cares about them hearing about the controllers using IR to function because it's IGN or... they just talked about it in a podcast instead of making an article of it.

MCN

Banned
Nintendo going for 720p while Sony and MS are aiming for checkbord/Naitve 4k with HDR. The difference in quality for marketing material will be huge.

A 4k handheld would be the most pointless thing in the world, and have a battery life measured in seconds.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm going to guess no one cares about them hearing about the controllers using IR to function because it's IGN or... they just talked about it in a podcast instead of making an article of it.

"using IR" can mean a lot of things though. Including using IR for pointer, like wiimotes. Doesn't say anything really, on it's own.

ggx2ac

"using IR" can mean a lot of things though. Including using IR for pointer, like wiimotes. Doesn't say anything really, on it's own.

Uhh, I listened to the podcast and they were talking about using IR like a circle pad pro. It's not the IR used for the Wii Remote.

Edit: It's 21 minutes into the podcast that they talk about it.

Edit 2: It even sounds like the guy that heard about the IR is not even aware of the infrared patent because he doesn't reference it.

EVH

The talk about IR controllers it's strange. We saw some patents showing a technology similar the way an optical mouse works, so in that way, they could be wrong.

This would allow for cheap controllers with no circuit or battery needed for them. Just "a hole" for the optical sensor to view which buttons are pressed, how much and how fast. For me it sounded like a perfect solution for a lot of problems (if done correctly), so kinda makes me think this could be the way it works.

ggx2ac

Not really a first, Nintendo patented it

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1261569

Did you read the first sentence of that post?

I referenced that IR patent. (And I put a link in an earlier post in this thread.)

I said that this is the first time it's been claimed to appear in use outside of a patent which means it could end up in the NX.

Edit: I should be saying that only IR was claimed for communicating with the NX like the Circle Pad Pro, I can't be certain that they are using the IR patent but it just seems likely when IGN are stating that the detachable controllers would be cheap.

EVH

Well, we have some guys on Twitter claiming next week is the week.

Still, apparently every week was the week NX could be revealed. lol

Who are these guys? If you don't mind screencapping the tweets would be even better.

ggx2ac

Who are these guys? If you don't mind screencapping the tweets would be even better.

I didn't mean they were insiders or anything. That's what I meant by the second paragraph.

Supposedly every week is the week NX gets revealed.

orioto

Good Art™
I didn't mean they were insiders or anything. That's what I meant by the second paragraph.

Supposedly every week is the week NX gets revealed.

But statistically wise, each new week has more chance to be the week than the week before that week.

ggx2ac

But statistically wise, each new week has more chance to be the week than the week before that week.

Yes, using waiting times which utilises the exponential distribution. The more time that passes, the more likely the event will occur.

(Unless the NX gets delayed, but, it will still get revealed eventually... Unless it is cancelled.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom