• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctre81

Yeah, but is she a member of an exclusive forum?

bring-it-gabrielle-union.gif

We won't know if we should be listening to Emily right now until we actually know everything we want to know

Which doesn't exactly help us right now. So bit of a catch 22

Isnt every console a reboot for each console manufacturer? Lol

This is different. Nintendo completely reformed how the workflow works, moved people around to different positions, moved to a new philosophy as far as development goes, and it sounds like they're going to shake up the whole industry, again.

Other vendors are just releasing stronger hardware with maybe some new features that retains what we're used to. Neither of them like to make jumps like Nintendo does.

marmoka

Banned
You know what? All those people who have a really good taste in videogames will ignore everything about NX tomorrow, because they will all be playing Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse.

Unless those who live in Europe. Damm it Deep Silver!!

I was once super excited for NX, i'm skeptical at best now. I personally don't see the suave executive planning a super system. I think they have had setback after setback. Including death. Which is unfortunate. I personally believe this was supposed to launch November 2016.

I don't think it will be able to run ps4 and Xbone ports. I think they will rely heavily on Japanese third parties like the 3ds.

If they were smart they would shore up third party support. Have a two prong approach 1) blue ocean strategy, and 2) a esports approach for the faithful and the "core".

I keep saying this, and I sound like a broken record. But this is Nintendo's last chance as a console maker. If we want to hear something, we should just ignore them until they announce something. I was as guilty as anyone of reading any little alleged leak or rumor that came out.

We shouldn't be acting like dogs begging Nintendo for table scraps. Nintendo you should step up and explain to me why you are worth my time and money.

Truly, if we all stopped caring and reporting on NX and essentially ignore them. Watch how fast they respond.

If Nintendo can't articulate why, they should take their Poke ball and go home.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
IMO, if nothing is known by October 4th at the latest a delay is very likely. I don't think they'd want to announce in the second half of October, so I think the actual reveal won't be later than October 14th. I think we'll get a date next Tuesday or October 4th.

Why? I don't get this. First, all rumors point to this thing being ahead of schedule. Then, nothing is really going on in the second half of October that would prevent them from making a major announcement like this. PSVR won't affect it. The elections won't affect it. The entire month is a fine time to reveal the system.

ika

Kind of a repeat of the Revolution/Wii hype.

Everyone and their mother was hyped up for the Revolution reveal.
And all we knew was...nothing. Literally. Just the codename. Everyone was hyped as fuck.
Most were still hyped once it was revealed to be vastly underpowered. And all this cost Nintendo $0 in terms of marketing beforehand.

Not really. Iwata did several speeches at E3 and TGS one year before the launch. They showed an official logo for the codename, the console shell, and a short CGI for Metroid Prime 3 and a few months after, they revealed the controller and some video-concept demos. They also talked about Virtual Console, BC and other details.

Malus

Bullsh**t
vr1nCb0.png

I'm not informed on things pokemon related but some people here said that they're is doing weekly/regular pokemon "announcements" so I dunno that it matters. Not to mention pokemon stuff is often totally independent from Nintendo as has been pointed out on here previously.

Emily doesn't know when anything is happening either, her tweets are basically the same as us just posting in here

She teased an october reveal. That said it is important to distinguish between rumor and personal speculation and that post about not expecting something this week looks like educated opinion to me.

Doctre81

I mean, we are all verified gaf posters. Do I post on gaf? If the answer is yes, you are verified. He never claimed to be a leaker.

When you say that on here it usually means you have been verified by Bish or someone who can vouch for the validity of your claim.

He said there is "news" coming. Not his opinion.

Retrobox

I don't think it will be able to run ps4 and Xbone ports. I think they will rely heavily on Japanese third parties like the 3ds.

This line right there. You do know the 3DS sales numbers right? So even in your rather pessimistic prediction, the NX would just get the same 3DS sales again. How does that indicate a last stand at all?

Mega

Banned
Isnt every console a reboot for each console manufacturer? Lol

It's a complete end to the Wii and DS era that started in 2006. It's also the end of hardware that basically dates back to the GameCube. It's the end of separate console + handheld models, separate game libraries and separate business strategy for each. No one knows if it will be good or bad yet, but it's certainly a big shakeup and significantly different than an iterative console release.

udivision

This line right there. You do know the 3DS sales numbers right? So even in your rather pessimistic prediction, the NX would just get the same 3DS sales again. How does that indicate a last stand at all?

Mobile just won't let that happen.

Looking at gen over gen changes, the 3DS won't be able to reach the sales numbers of the "failure" that was PSP.

Nintendo realizes they probably can't expect 3DS numbers... without something big.

guek

Banned
She teased an october reveal. That said it is important to distinguish between rumor and personal speculation and that post about not expecting something this week looks like educated opinion to me.
Eh, she's not speculating about October, that's what she was told.

It's needs to be clear that Eurogamers rumor (back in July) said they had one source that told them the NX was to be revealed in September.

Nico said NX reveal would be around September 20th. Nobody ever said NX reveal would be on the 20th.

And finally we have Emily saying the NX reveal is October and WSJ analysts are now saying they think it will be early October.

Malus

Eh, she's not speculating about October, that's what she was told.

What part? I'm saying the october tease was rumor and the reveal announcement not being this week sounds like speculation. Unless she said sources told her it's not coming this week?

edit: I think I missed a stealth edit

Looking at gen over gen changes, the 3DS won't be able to reach the sales numbers of the "failure" that was PSP.

Nintendo realizes they probably can't expect 3DS numbers... without something big.

I will say this, if the 3DS did not come out for such a high price, it would have sold way more then psp...

ckfy63a

You know, it really would interest me to know the nature of Ms. Roger's purported source(s). She's leaked game announcements before, but has she ever leaked anything about timing of an event (say, a Direct) correctly?

And lol @ her bringing up Pokemon news. I sincerely hope from the bottom of my heart that the NX announcement is made at the same time as a SuMo news dump, just so I can stop hearing that Groundhog Day-esque logic.

Malus

Depends on the game, and how much they are willing to downgrade it I suppose. If the game is gpu bound, it will have troubles, but the NX cpu apparently beats the Jaguar.

OsirisBlack said it'd be able to receive ports with little to no issue. Personally I see having to significantly downgrade graphics as a pretty big issue as a lot of devs probably won't like doing that to their game, but eh.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
When you say that on here it usually means you have been verified by Bish or someone who can vouch for the validity of your claim.

He said there is "news" coming. Not his opinion.

Or he was just joking, you know?

I'm aware of sales numbers for 3ds. Without knowing specs. Price, and games, impossible to predict. But... even with advancements in technology and software development kits, game budget goes up. Thus less games are green lit to be made.

So *IF* Nintendo is on an island again and it stays status quo with third party relations, I would assume the NX library will have less games than the 3ds did. Doesn't mean NX won't sell well. I also view as quality over quantity, but it will still make it a harder sell if missing COD, Overwatch, and other such games.

udivision

I will say this, if the 3DS did not come out for such a high price, it would have sold way more then psp...

If Nintendo needed to take a loss on each 3DS sold (which they decided to do a few months after launch) that leads to another problem regarding the health of the market.

Hydrus

If Nintendo needed to take a loss on each 3DS sold (which they decided to do a few months after launch) that leads to another problem regarding the health of the market.

Loss? I thought the 3ds was a overpriced and they even admitted to selling it for way more than they needed too.

Retrobox

I think Nintendo has a lot to look forward to in their dedicated handheld section. They are addressing the rise of mobile by producing mobile titles themselves. The 3DS is also not the optimal case machine or anything. It had a slow start and invested into a feature most customers don't care about (3D). So, if they can iron out the faults of 3DS with NX, they are already in a nice position.
Don't forget that Nintendo will have a monopoly on dedicated handhelds as well. No one will contest them.

I think NX (if it's a handheld) can match 3DS numbers and even exceed them. I like to live dangerously.

Vena

They overpriced for insane profit per unit, not to make profit in general.

CrisKre

Do you guys think they may announce the date of the reveal and tell us what the NX will actually be called to get that out of the way like they did with the wii?

Or would you rather have all that information on the actual reveal?

Hermii

OsirisBlack said it'd be able to receive ports with little to no issue. Personally I see having to significantly downgrade graphics as a pretty big issue as a lot of devs probably won't like doing that to their game, but eh.

Most devs are already doing that compared to the PC version (soon ps4 pro and scorpio as well).

If devs can get their game running on a portable device, I would think most would find that pretty awesome despite having to lower the settings.

Do you guys think they may announce the date of the reveal and tell us what the NX will actually be called to get that out of the way like they did with the wii?

Or would you rather have all that information on the actual reveal?
Not too sure. My guess is they'll want to do it at the reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom