• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterc

IGN's NVC talks NX rumors. Peer says a dev told him the NX is a "complete reboot for Nintendo"

Nintendo Video Chat of IGN went through NX rumors today and Peer Schneider chimed in with what he has heard from internal sources & NX developers:
-Peer is "100% convinced" that the NX will use memory cards (i.e. like 3DS carts).
NX is a portable device you can dock to your TV and play games (confirmed by their own sources & NX developers)
-Share button seems plausible
-They're really skeptical of the "split d-pad" rumor considering the traditional d-pad has been a focus of their marketing lately and the d-pad is something people love about Nintendo's systems, but anything's possible.
-Detachable controllers are low budget. Very cheap (like the Wii nunchuck). Peer has heard they're using IR and it's not your main way of controlling the game (a "travel controller"). Speculates they could make cheap controllers that attach to the system.
-Peer thinks the 720p resolution for the screen is "very credible" and "very highly likely".
-One developer talked to Peer and called NX "a reboot for Nintendo". Peer says to him it means carts, not having to decide between playing on a console/portable whether going back to the glory days of NES, SNES, and the Wii.
-They think the SCD with a dock with additional hardware is possible.
Just Dance on the system means a way to measure what you're doing while dancing (some sort of hardware).
http://feeds.ign.com/~r/ignfeeds/podcasts/wii/~3/LMS4lWRJ0ro/NVC_Podcast_091616_mp3.mp3
Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX...nvc_talks_nx_rumors_peer_says_a_dev_told_him/

I make the parts bold what i think is very interesting. I wonder what additional hardware the nx could have and how you will play the games on it.

It can't be to different, because 3rd party games should work also on other consoles.
So i wonder how they will create the new experience.

[RUMOR] Release date of BoTW AND NX accidentally leaked by french Nintendo!!! On March 4th 2017!!!

Eagle eyed Redditors have apparently spotted that the official Nintendo France website had The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild amiibo figures listed with a March 4th release date. Now we know the Nintendo NX is coming in March and that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is also coming in the same month, so there’s speculation online as to whether or not March 4th is the date the NX system and the game will be released.

zelda_amiibo_release_date.png

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/09/...-breath-of-wild-amiibo-coming-march-4th-2017/

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I just listened to it now. I wouldn't take too much from that SCD note. In the episode, they were only talking about the patent and said it's possible just like anything Nintendo patents is possible (they referenced how PSVR has an external chip that helps it as a precedent). They didn't make any suggestions that they actually had heard it was happening.

As for the reboot comment, though, I found that incredibly interesting when I heard it. I wish Peer had given more context and elaborated on what the dev meant.

A lot of those notes in that summary are things that people might take out of context. I would encourage people to actually listen to the NVC episode before posting. The only notable bit of news I took from it was the reboot comment. Basically everything else was speculation or logic. That includes the Just Dance comment, which was entirely (paraphrasing) "How is Just Dance typically played? That must indicate something about NX's inputs."

EDIT: Regarding the amiibo: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279738 Also, I feel like "rumor" and the enthusiasm that three exclamation points implies are contradictory. "Rumor" means it's not confirmed and in this case could be a mistake, which to me says it's not worth getting excited over. Things that are not made public can just be placeholder info. When leading up to the launch of Lady Gaga's most recent single, her website contained snippets of "Born This Way" buried in the code. That didn't mean she was re-releasing "Born This Way," which is exactly why the snippets weren't public. The date could be real or it could be a placeholder.

Yeah, I heard the reboot part myself. I guess it's pretty exciting.
I also think they back they hybrid with their own sources

thefro

That's my reddit account.

I tried to note in the post (I listened to the segment 2x) when Peer mentioned things he's also heard from IGN sources/NX developers, since that's the newsworthy part of the podcast.

ggx2ac

I tried to note in the post (I listened to the segment 2x) when Peer mentioned things he's also heard from IGN sources/NX developers, since that's the newsworthy part of the podcast.

Yes, I noticed that too. That is an important note.

Peterc

cheap controllers could be bad news, especially once the NX has a SSB game.

Most controllers are cheap.
I've paid for my windows xbox one controller about 45$. but it feels and sounds cheap.
It doesn't make it a bad controller.

Peterc

Let me know if i you want me to add extra info to this thread

ggx2ac

While listening, IGN guys say they heard from developers that the NX goes into the dock to play games on the TV.

If the controllers are cheap, it sounds like it wouldn't have Wii Remote like features would it? (Including the rumour from LPVG about new force feedback or something.)

They think the 720p resolution rumour is credible, they haven't gotten their own source on that. (They may have mistakenly said 7 inches for the screen. Wii U Gamepad screen is 6.2 inches.)

"NX is a reboot for Nintendo" was stated by a developer, so it's going with the idea of not having to decide between devices apparently and the same thing for games.

The IR is referring to the detachable controllers that they communicate to the NX with IR when attached. Like the Circle Pad Pro.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't fine that "reboot" line particularly revelatory, considering we already know it's not a thematic successor to Gamecube, Wii, DS, or 3DS. It's a reboot by default.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
While listening, IGN guys say they heard from developers that the NX goes into the dock to play games on the TV.

If the controllers are cheap, it sounds like it wouldn't have Wii Remote like features would it? (Including the rumour from LPVG about new force feedback or something.)

They back the 720p resolution rumour. (They may have mistakenly said 7 inches for the screen.)

"NX is a reboot for Nintendo", so it's going with the idea of not having to decide between devices apparently and the same thing for games.

The IR is referring to the detachable controllers that they communicate to the NX with IR when attached. Like the Circle Pad Pro.

IIRC, doesn't Peer only say that it would make sense because the GamePad screen looks fine at 480p and 1080p would be expensive? I don't get the feeling that they'd heard it was 720p, which is how I read the verb "back" (I apologize if I'm misinterpreting your words).

ggx2ac

IIRC, doesn't Peer only say that it would make sense because the GamePad screen looks fine at 480p and 1080p would be expensive? I don't get the feeling that they'd heard it was 720p, which is how I read the verb "back" (I apologize if I'm misinterpreting your words).

At 17 minutes. They just say it's very highly likely and very credible.

I guess they haven't heard it from their own sources. I will edit it.

Reboot accoring to what?

A developer thinks they're starting all over with a new system like with the Wii or the DS. Something completely new instead of a Wii U2 (A Wii U that is stronger.)

Interesting I guess,although a lot of this has already been speculated or rumoured.

Wait I've got it,the name of the console is the Reboot...The Nintendo Reboot

ggx2ac

The really new info is hearing how the detachable controllers communicate with IR and not Bluetooth. (Like the Circle Pad Pro.)
We need to bring in the details of that Patent for IR controllers into this.

At 17 minutes. They just say it's very highly likely and very credible.

I guess they haven't heard it from their own sources. I will edit it.

A developer thinks they're starting all over with a new system like with the Wii or the DS. Something completely new instead of a Wii U2 (A Wii U that is stronger.)
Well they already said that... A reboot in my opinion means reboot everything. Botw is a guideline here

Nintendo themselves have said this multiple times now, haven't they? Perhaps I'm making that up.

Cerium

Fucking reveal it already.

Announce an announcement at least. <--- Yes, this is the depth of my desperation.

ggx2ac

Nintendo themselves have said this multiple times now, haven't they? Perhaps I'm making that up.

"It's a system with a brand new concept"

Which is most likely just going to be the hybrid and maybe the detachable controllers. I'm not expecting more secrets unless the Free Form Display Donut Shaped Screens for controllers happens like the mock-up I did. (That's speculation.)

Spman2099

If this console doesn't blow everyone away it is going to be hugely deflating. You can't build tension like this and not deliver in a VERY big way.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If this console doesn't blow everyone away it is going to be hugely deflating. You can't build tension like this and not deliver in a VERY big way.
Nintendo will deliver. They'll deliver big and rescue this industry from the darkness it's currently heading towards. They have to. I have to believe they will.

ASIS

I just don't care anymore. I don't have it in me to speculate. They'll announce it when its ready but the wait has crossed the line from exciting to annoying.

they have their heads in the right place but that rumor list sounds like another flop console like the wii-u.

too focused on gimmicks. the reason why the Wii succeeded with it though was that they were ahead of the curve with the family motion control stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom