• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's The History of Naughty Dog Feature

FourMyle

I'm looking at the wiki page for Jason and Andy. It says that they are both working on an xbox one title called "Mashbox". Does anyone know anything about this?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So why wasn't TLoU Jak & Dakster? Since that was what Sony wants.

Because the desire to have the reboot follow in the footsteps of Uncharted was profoundly ridiculous and fortunately there was a moment of clarity where ND/Sony realised the very same thing. The game wasn't going to be a J&D game like old, which was my point -- ND's bread and butter are the games it's been making since the first Uncharted and with ND being Sony's most successful studio over the past generation, and Uncharted arguably leap-frogging Gran Turismo as the PlayStation's most important IP, it should come as no surprise that the project was approached with the aim of putting a serious spin on a series not previously defined by its character-driven narrative. Of course, there's no way to be certain if the shape J&D Redux was to take was what ND wanted to do rather than what it was compelled to do, but given Sony mandated that Uncharted transmogrify from a Tolkien-inspired adventure title to a third-person shooter, my guess, perhaps cynically, is the latter.

FourMyle

There was a thread of this a few months ago but obviously it is worth a repost.

Andy Gavin's blogspot on the history of the development of Crash is an in-depth and soul calming read as well:
http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Nice to see a site like IGN coming out with a feature like this.

I am reading this right now and it is fascinating just how far early Naughty Dog went to realize their vision. They were constantly doing things that no one in the industry was even thinking of.

This bit in particular was funny

Andy and Dave broke a lot of rules. First and foremost, they didn’t follow PlayStation’s library restrictions. Other developers often complained that Crash was using some sort of secret Sony library. That is the exact opposite of the truth. The truth is that Crash used as little as it could of Sony’s library and the programmers basically hacked everything right to the hardware.

Years later Sony tried to create a game called Harry Jalapeño to compete with Crash. No, I am not making that up. Besides the name fail, the internal team in San Francisco also utterly failed to create the complex worlds and characters that we created in Crash. Let me repeat – an internal Sony team couldn’t create Crash. Let the rumors of “insider information” forever rest.

People thought they were getting special treatment from Sony when the reality was that their programmers were just hacking the shit out of the PS1 hardware, lol.

I know ND's heads are up their asses, but this is a new one.

A 16 page feature and that is the part that you decided to comment on because of a supposed affront to Mario/Nintendo.

You are precious. Keep it up.

I am reading this right now and it is fascinating just how far early Naughty Dog went to realize their vision. They were constantly doing things that no one in the industry was even thinking of.

People thought they were getting special treatment from Sony when the reality was that their programmers were just hacking the shit out of the PS1 hardware, lol.

A 16 page feature and that is the part that you decided to comment on because of a supposed affront to Mario/Nintendo.

Yeah, that surprised the hell out of me. Naughty Gods, indeed :p

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yeah, that surprised the hell out of me. Naughty Gods, indeed :p
And funny thing is none of the people that worked for them then are there anymore. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy, bred into the abstraction of the company ethos itself.

He is arguing against a point that is true, not only that but arguing against an opinion of a time when ND were as humble as Indies of today.

Neff

As much as it may shatter the uncomplicated, one-dimensional outlook you have on life, I'm an adult and go where the games I want are, regardless of affiliation, which seems to be something you don't understand.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
We had an early idea – before Uncharted became Uncharted – that was almost a hybrid idea of The Last of Us and Uncharted. In hindsight, we were talking about being a kind of Nathan Drake figure, but in the future, and the relics he was looking for were the relics of our civilization, in this overgrown wilderness of the ruins of our world.”

“It was post-apocalyptic,” she continued, “but not scary, in the sense that it was kind of a beautiful post-apocalyptic world, with its own dangers and all, but the beauty of nature reclaiming our architecture and our relics. I still think that’s a cool idea, but we went another way with that.”

holy fucking fuck that would have been amazing o_O

Yeah that sounds awesome as well.

That sounds awesome. Maybe it's their new space IP. /wishful thinking.

I wanna see them tackle a more open world game now. But after TLoU...I wanna see their next game get back to some lighter themes. Might mean another UC...might mean a new IP. A space UC type game would be nice....but I can already see the hate for it..

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I read all the parts that are out there up to now and it's a great read.

It's easily the best thing I've ever read on IGN and one of the best interview series I'm aware of.

Great stuff and really great that he got the access he did.

Edit: vvv Sorry. I didn't take the time until now to read it before. :-/ vvv

I read all the parts that are out there up to now and it's a great read.

It's easily the best thing I've ever read on IGN and one of the best interview series I'm aware of.

Great stuff and really great that he got the access he did.

You'll have to forgive me for feeling a little bit 'internet-angry' for you for a few seconds.

I thought this thread bump meant that Part V has arrived.

My disappointment...

Top Bottom