• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IHS: Nintendo portable NX console to launch this year

DieH@rd

Banned
WSJ reports that research firm IHS believes this year we will see release of a successor of 3DS.

Nintendo Seen Likely to Launch Hand-Held Device This Year
Nintendo expected to unveil details of new system in the summer

By TAKASHI MOCHIZUKI

TOKYO-- Nintendo Co. is likely to release a new hand-held game device this year, an analyst at U.S. research firm IHS Inc. said on Thursday, strengthening a market view that the videogame company’s new system, code-named NX, will include a portable machine.

“We expect a small recovery in shipments of flat-panel displays for game devices because of Nintendo’s new game hardware expected to be released in 2016,” said Hiroshi Hayase, a senior principal analyst at IHS Technology, part of IHS, at the firm’s display forum held in Tokyo.

The research firm expects shipments of displays sized between 3.1-inches and 5.0-inches wide to increase to 16.5 million units this year, up from 14.1 million units last year. OLED displays would remain unused by the market players, the data show.

Mr. Hayase declined to specify what size of display Nintendo is likely to use for its new device, but said he expects the product to be a stand-alone portable gaming machine, such as the 3DS, rather than a display-equipped controller for a console such as Wii U.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment on the IHS projection, saying the company plans to elaborate on NX this year. He refrained from saying when this year it plans to give more details about the new product.
more @ http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-seen-likely-to-launch-hand-held-device-this-year-1453982632

Appologies if old

Femto.

NX this, NX that, the information just keeps coming.

stop9.gif

Nintendo NX direct soon please.

Pretty much what we've been guessing. It would be silly to not release a NX handheld as a seperate device from the home console. I'll buy both if the home console is up to snuff, or just the handheld if not. Really excited for this.

sonto340

I've said before that were incredibly likely to see the NX handheld this year. The timing lines up.

Next year we could see the release of the NX console, with all your NX handheld's games working at launch. But only time will tell.

JordanKZ

If the NX handheld hits this year, the 3DS is going to have a pretty spectacular final year as their 'main' handheld.

I've said before that were incredibly likely to see the NX handheld this year. The timing lines up.

Next year we could see the release of the NX console, with all your NX handheld's games working at launch. But only time will tell.

For now, it's obscured by clouds.

Femto.

Hope the screen's at least 3DS XL sized. (Also, hope it'll have 3DS/DS BC.)

I feel like Nintendo is ditching BC this time around in order to "unify" their platforms as they kept mentioning. For once I wouldn't mind it if it means Nintendo is using architecture that is familiar to developers already.

I'm wondering if they'll stick with DS or just go to one. I'd hope the latter with higher quality display.

orochi91

just make a nintendo branded Vita that's all I want

Sony and Nintendo should just merge at this point.

Let the PS department take care of consoles and let the Nintendo department work on a handheld, and have them both share/develop their IPs across those devices.

There's no need for 2 Japanese-centric home consoles in this day and age.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
If this is the case, what was the point of New3DS?

The same point that the DSi had when it released two years before the 3DS released and (to a lesser degree) when the Game Boy Color released 3 years before the Game Boy Advance: to give a kick to sales (primary goal), as well as to give developers more options for development without completely changing the system and to test out ideas/tech.

EDIT: Beaten by many others. But yeah, I think it was clear when the n3DS launched that it was just buying time before the next generation. At the very least, I bought mine at launch with that expectation.

wapplew

Let the PS department take care of consoles and let the Nintendo department work on a handheld, and have them both share/develop their IPs across those devices.

SIE is not Japanese-centric anymore?

Philippo

So Portable NX this Fall, Home Console NX in Spring 2017 with the Mobile Platform (whatever the hell it is) launching inbetween?
Would that be possible?

Nibel

NX Hand-held in 2016.

NX Console in 2017?

Yeah, this is pretty much the current consensus among NX-interested people.

Nothing really new or interesting in that article in my opinion. Tuesday could be a turning point though, so let's wait and see

I've owned every Nintendo handheld so far. And with Nintendo probably having the only dedicated gaming handheld this time, I'm pretty sure I'll buy this one as well.

I really wonder if they're going to move away from the dual screen.

I've owned every Nintendo handheld so far. And with Nintendo probably having the only dedicated gaming handheld this time, I'm pretty sure I'll buy this one as well.

I really wonder if they're going to move away from the dual screen.

For the NX, I would not mind at all if they moved away from dual screen if it meant we got one nice looking screen.

Gimmie dat direct nintendo i am thirsty

Well, handheld first for Japan makes sense, with DQ XI missing 2016, the system has lost it's probably biggest game in that market. Of course, there's that everything but confirmed Pokemon Z, but it appears that Nintendo already went on.

For the west, with them handling the localization of the DQ remakes and a rather healthy lineup for 2016, i expected them to squeeze as much as they can out of the 3DS, and retire it in 2017. The console version of NX might have been better.

I bet the japanese 3rds would love to have another valid system for their games out there, adds another buffer between them and the ever-growing mobile market over there.
Also, stealth Nintendo third party post is stealthy. Although ... it's more like stealth Nintendo second/first party of another console maker, so that's a new one, right?

orochi91

SIE is not Japanese-centric anymore?

Just because they moved an HQ out of Japan doesn't mean they're no longer the most JP-centric brand out of the 3 console makers. They've got the full backing of JP publishers, unlike the other 2 consoles.

Handheld is good. Less expensive than a home console, which is good. I can see it taking the same form as the 3Ds with a clamshell design. Except a with a MUCH bigger top screen if they can find a better place to put the speakers.

If this is the case, what was the point of New3DS?

Nintendo always released a "most polished" version of each handheld

GB Light/colour
GBA SP w backlight/micro
DSi

n3ds has better 3d, faster processing on many tasks, c stick, as well as removable cases + bigger screen for the regular version. I bought one when it came out and I wouldn't regret it if the successor came out this year, because it was clear that wasn't what the n3ds was.

Just because they moved an HQ out of Japan doesn't mean they're no longer the most JP-centric brand out of the 3 console makers. They've got the full backing of JP publishers, unlike the other 2 consoles.

At this point, the only two japan centric devices are 3DS and on a smaller scale, Vita. Unless you mean by backing, but I mean sale wise.
And sale wise... well; I dont think there's a japanese centric home console.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not sure if staggering the launch is a good idea...

Why not? They will both share a software library, release the portable successor now, give Wii U owners one last year of software and then release the home NX next year with a full suite of software ready to go.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why not? They will both share a software library, release the portable successor now, give Wii U owners one last year of software and then release the home NX next year with a full suite of software ready to go.

Doubled marketing costs, diminished impact, possible poor West launch with the attached negative mindset.

Kathian

Banned
Nice. Should be noted the assumption is the handheld is what the screens are for. Suspect they know its two individual screens but whether that means two systems, hybrid or whatever they wouldn't know.

None of multi-touch screen rumour yet. Hope it does.

Doubt it will honestly. Maybe a better version of what they've got.

Top Bottom