• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IHS: Nintendo portable NX console to launch this year

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If I can't play everything on the console part then fuck Nintendo. I don't want handhelds anymore. I just end up playing them at home 99% of the time anyway.

Lol. Lets not pretend you have any intention to buy in the first place.

Since a few people where posting what they'd like I decided to do a quick mockup of what I'm hoping for. I did two, one with scroll wheel shoulder buttons and one without.
UkyQbd5.png

Lhk9OMo.png
I went with the idea of them wanting to get mobile games on the system while still having buttons so I went with slide out controls like the PSP Go.
The button placement and size on the version with scroll wheels could probably be fiddled with.
Even though it'd be bigger when the controls are out I'd prefer the scroll wheel version honestly.

Given the rumours about Nintendo considering using "donut-shaped displays" from Sharp, you could be looking at something like this:

donutscreen.jpg

(I just used a Gamecube controller for the illustration as it's got a nice flat circle around the control stick, ignore the strange button configuration and lazy photoshopping)

They could be used around one or both of the analog sticks/slide pads in the home console and/or handheld, and used to map context-sensitive actions or information to the stick. In the example above, the screen around the left stick is acting as a compass and pointer to the objective, and the screen around the right stick is allowing it to be used as an item select. I don't know how varied the applications for it would be in practice, but it seems like the kind of thing Nintendo might do, and it fits the donut report and many .

Unfortunately I can't see your image anymore but I think it would work well especially if the screens have pressure sensors in them like Apple are using, then you can judge deliberate presses compared to resting your thumb on it, maybe 8 pimples or circles on the glass arranged in a ring could give some subtle impression of where your thumbs are exactly too. With all that and the right feedback (see the patent for twin actuators and simultaneous speaker output) it could do a decent job of replacing face buttons.

With this in mind I made a mockup of how the handheld might look, which sticks pretty closely to the patent image.
Some games might be 'console optimised' and only do the main screen at 16:9, with a trivial background filling the gaps between that and the donuts. Other games would be 'handheld optimised' and extend to the middle of the donuts or all the way across if the donuts are transparent.
The strip with the Home button is not part of the display as per the patent (backlight is housed there), but there's a semi permanent status bar at the top to mirror the shape.

Shoulder buttons would be clickable capacitive strips with a lump near the ends to delineate a space that works as a second independent button. A real second pair of buttons would work too but I'm trying to save some pennies! The shoulders would support scrolling motions but also positional touch, so pressing in different places could represent different force to an accelerator pedal or something like that.

untitleddlopo.jpg

If the handheld only has sticks on the face and no buttons I'm not buying it, seriously. Removing the face buttons and D-Pad would be one of the stupidest things Nintendo could do.

Peterc

still think they will go with 1 display like the wiiu tablet, but a bit smaller.

Like this:

Nintendo.jpg

Also it could be a free form display.

Btw everyone knows touch buttons are stuppid instead of real buttons.
I think as extra there could be some ingame buttons as inventory and so on...

still think they will go with 1 display like the wiiu tablet, but a bit smaller.

Like this:

Nintendo.jpg

Yes please!

Like this:

Nintendo.jpg

Most unergonomic handheld, ever.

I think people are discounting the evidence that there will be different form factors, even in just the handheld space. I expect one to be the dual-screened clamshell design for those that want BC with DS/3DS, and another that's just a single screen

I think people are discounting the evidence that there will be different form factors, even in just the handheld space. I expect one to be the dual-screened clamshell design for those that want BC with DS/3DS, and another that's just a single screen
Too much fragmentation due hardware. Also more development effort, and that's only for games who use the second screen on DS/3DS just for displaying maps/status stuff.

Because i doubt that the screen on the non-dual device would be big enough to display "both" screens. You know, a portable shouldn't have the size of the Wii U Gamepad.

jahasaja

That version they could call NX3DS to avoid confusion....

I don't think they said that exactly, just said potentially more than 2 forms. Different handheld factors is actually pretty normal over the life of a Nintendo handheld, see GBA/SP, 2DS.
If they go for the ellipse thing I'm talking about, redesigning to clamshell would just be 16:9 rectangle on the top with 2 donuts on the bottom and replicate the TV/controller setup. All games would already be coded to support 16:9 mode so it would work fine.

Takeda recently talked about them challenging themselves to create a new kind of interface, Miyamoto talks about making a new f zero if they come up with a new interface (which I think is a hint even if nobody else does.) I am pretty sure these systems won't simply be a revamped Vita/Gamepad/3DS with missing screen.

Jackano

Form factors will affect resolution, price, and design, but not the number of screens.

Given form factors we can think of for the handheld are the OG, XL (less portable, bigger screens), and 2DS (cheaper and/or no clamshell) styles .

Fredrik

If the handheld only has sticks on the face and no buttons I'm not buying it, seriously. Removing the face buttons and D-Pad would be one of the stupidest things Nintendo could do.
I kind of agree, but I fear that Nintendo might go their own path this time and redesign the input standard the way they want it, they've tried to flirt with core gamers with standard input methods before but they might want to try something else now. Whatever they come up with I think it will be cool, but maybe not useful as a primary console but rather as a fun secondary console.

Jackano

Excuse the lame photophiltring and the hype-less post, but could the "free-form display" thing be a research effort to replace the solution adopted in the 2DS design?

The 2DS use one big screen covered by plastic to make it look like two screens.

So far free-form display lovers assumed rounded design but Nintendo ain't sony, they prefer function over design. Maybe they are researching this for a non-clamshell design and have one screen that looks like this:

Peru

What if it's some frankenstein monster with a regular widescreen and then the free form screen is actually a donut stuck to the side separately for menu UI.

Why not like this? Move all the buttons to the bottom part and put a capacitive screen

images

This would be indeed the best design, especially it would push the touchscreen even more and make games possble which are only controlled by the touchscreen while the touchscreen is still usuable for more traditional gaming.

Top Bottom