• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iizuka - Sonic Mania to have more stages than any other Classic Sonic game.

Mark1

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/543/1543432/

The good folk over at Sonic Stadium provided this news and quote from the article:

Iizuka : There are the most number of stages in the Classic Sonic series ever.For that reason I want to say, I try not to overwhelm you so much as to keep your enjoyment.

Doesn't mention if this includes Sonic 3 and Knuckes when locked on together. Which did only contain a few more zones than Sonic 2.

Smash me out with a 'You're too slow' comment if posted already. ;)

Velkyn

I really hope this turns out good, but everything coming out of this project sounds really good. Sega's really trying to get this one right.

TreIII

Excellent~!

Lots of volume + plenty of replay value = the Sonic game I've been waiting since 1994 to play.

Shouldn't be too hard when it's including remastered stages.
Hope it's good, been playing through the original two and I can't say they've aged super well but I'll pick it up

RRockman

Banned
Uhh, I'd certainly hope that's the case, the originals aren't exactly long? Did they even have a way to save progress?

Sonic 3 and Knux had autosave. Level count doesn't really matter to me so long the stages are good though. I'm really excited for both this game and forces!

AdanVC

That moment when you're more hyped for this game than the main 3D Sonic coming on holiday... So looking forward to Mania!

Azure J

That's already confirmed my friend.

Wait for real? It's the one thing I was really hoping for but most pre-release stuff didn't really go into Act transitions beyond "Act 2 Green Hill starts now!" and segways into newer stuff weren't available due to the nature of the demos.

Even if we don't count Sonic 3 & Knuckles as one game, we're getting at least 11 Zones. I'm betting on 12, which would be huge. I never doubted that Sonic Mania would have a good amount of Zones but I'm happy for more confirmation.

So far we have 4 Classic Zones and 3 New Zones (counting that leaked Zone art a month ago). Plenty of stuff is still on the way!

Maedhros

Not sure, I really disliked Sonic 2. Maybe because of the special stages

I don't really like Sonic 2 because of everything after Cassino Zone. So many bad levels... mystic cave, oil plant, metropolis... ugh...

The last ones were okay...

I prefer 3&Knuckles much more than the other two.

andymcc

Banned
I don't really like Sonic 2 because of everything after Cassino Zone. So many bad levels... mystic cave, oil plant, metropolis... ugh...

The last ones were okay...

I prefer 3&Knuckles much more than the other two.

Metropolis Zone is literally the worst shit of any of the classic sonic games.

Wing Fortress is honestly pretty bad too. Feels like a shitty version of stage 3/4 from the Mega Drive Strider.

jman2050

Wing Fortress is honestly pretty bad too. Feels like a shitty version of stage 3/4 from the Mega Drive Strider.

Metropolis is the best level in the game though.

All that flat platforming and those neat gimmicks.

Bakercat

That sounds good and all, but I worry it will be to long of a game. I like to play these games completely in one sitting. However, I understand that they're trying to give the fans more bang for their buck.

Toad.T

Banned
We have like 3 original zones, correct? Studiopolis, Desert Hill and that Church zone seen in screenshots. I do hope we get more.

Aki-at

This game should be something special, even the returning classic stages are remixed to the point they might as well be new stages.

Might finally dethrone Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as my favourite Sonic game. A tall order considering it's also my second favourite game.

Metropolis is like being repetidly punched in the stomach and that's what's so great about. Tests your skill as a player to the max.

Except those crab baddies, their positioning is quite diabolical.

Top Bottom