• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikaruga is out on Android (for Japan only I think)

My phone's not compatible, but it's just under $10 AUD which is pretty decent I guess.

f3Ufr.png

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ohhh I want this. Not port beggin but I don't have Android... I think it'll come to mine ;)

Tain

uh what

You would think that anything Treasure related would have some internet talk before release.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Any rumblings of an iOS release?
I don't think they ever even announced this for Android. It just showed up.

Mobile releases don't give a shit about the Internet
Cave would announce the existence of their shooters prior to release and give release date eventually. This on the other hand just appeared out of nowhere from what I can remember.

Love ikaruga but after playing raiden on my s3 I'll give this a miss.
No idea what they've done with Raiden, but Cave shooters control really well on iOS. They've done a great job.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Honestly after close to 1000 hours in Ikaruga (Dreamcast/GCN) I'm not interested at all in a phone version. How would the controls even begin to hold up, surely it couldn't be as technically sound?

ZiggyRoXx

Banned
Lol..if you'd told me 10yrs ago whilst playing this on my DC, one day it would be on a phone,looking pretty much identical, I'd have driven you to the local insane asylum.

Linkup

Strange how devs will put stuff that controls like utter crap on mobile.

They have to put a free gamepad with every download shipped to your door worldwide, otherwise seriously why bother? Anyone? and don't say money.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well after playing Espgaluda II and Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu on my phone I think I can pass on Shumples on touch only devices. This is cool for people who can work beyond the dip in control though.

zoukka

They can work incredibly well on an iPad. I play using my stylus. The Cave games, Infinity Gene, EDF, R-Type, Danmaku etc are all ace and all control very well.

Ok, a stylus might be the trick then. I take you can touch anywhere on the screen and it takes the control area there?

BriBri

Ok, a stylus might be the trick then. I take you can touch anywhere on the screen and it takes the control area there?
Yeah, autofire too. And I'm no Apple apologist btw as I much prefer the 'proper' controls on my Famicom and 3DS, it's just that I can't afford a Japanese 360 and the Cave back catalogue, and the iPad is more than a worthy substitute.

SmokyDave

My goodness. If this is legit and hits iOS, I'll be well in.

Strange how devs will put stuff that controls like utter crap on mobile.

They have to put a free gamepad with every download shipped to your door worldwide, otherwise seriously why bother? Anyone? and don't say money.

You haven't actually played a shmup on a phone, have you?

zoukka

Yeah, autofire too. And I'm no Apple apologist btw as I much prefer the 'proper' controls on my Famicom and 3DS, it's just that I can't afford a Japanese 360 and the Cave back catalogue, and the iPad is more than a worthy substitute.

Yeah I'd bite immediately if I owned a stylus and it would hit iPad.

i bought it. runs okay on nexus 7, it uses similar 1-to-1 touch controls to cave stuff but obviously it's a little more awkward to control because you have to press a button beyond "fire" far more often.

touchscreens are better than sticks for shmups in some ways! you can control speed/more precise direction, etc. sticks might feel more authentic and "right," and some won't have their minds changed, but i can at least say that i would infinitely rather play ikaruga with a touchscreen than an xbox 360 d-pad.

danmaku

i bought it. runs okay on nexus 7, it uses similar 1-to-1 touch controls to cave stuff but obviously it's a little more awkward to control because you have to press a button beyond "fire" far more often.

touchscreens are better than sticks for shmups in some ways! you can control speed/more precise direction, etc. sticks might feel more authentic and "right," and some won't have their minds changed, but i can at least say that i would infinitely rather play ikaruga with a touchscreen than an xbox 360 d-pad.

It feels more authentic because those games were designed to be played with a stick (or a digital input anyway), that gives you a fixed movement speed and a certain degree of precision. The touchscreen is kind of a cheat mode, if you can use it well (I can't).

yeah, that's certainly true. but it does work well and the games feel 'native' to touch — they're more accessible, sure, but that just makes them a better fit for the platform really.

it's sort of the opposite problem to the iOS versions of street fighter or whatever where you're fighting the shoehorned-in touch controls. but to all the people above that are like "uhh how could you possibly play a shmup on a phone", the answer is... well, incredibly easily.

liger05

No idea what they've done with Raiden, but Cave shooters control really well on iOS. They've done a great job.

The controls are fine however I get frustrated as no matter how well it controls its not as good as playing with a pad and buttons. Game plays real nice but after 5 mins or so I just put it down as the experience isnt as good as it should be.

Peru

Shmups on touch screens done right can be super-precise and arguably the one hardcore genre that perfectly translates to it. Lots of ignorant people here.

Yes I have and they play really slow and make sure never to throw to much at you because the controls are utter crap.

Just false.

SmokyDave

Yes I have and they play really slow and make sure never to throw to much at you because the controls are utter crap.

I can only assume you're playing some low-rent stuff on a janky phone because the Cave shooters on iOS are fucking great.

Top Bottom