• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikumi Nakamura leaves Tango Dreamworks

Shin

Banned
That's a shocker alright, especially after the E3 we just had.
Hopefully she joins a great studio/team and continues to shine in grand fashion.
Tango should buy itself back and be independent, they are a small team with good/great idea's but it needs that WWS touch to make their game shine.

I mean to lose this here would be such a damn shame when we keep getting sequels, prequels, reboots, yearly releases of the same shit.

Last edited:

Lunk

We don't know how, why or how far along the project even is.

But to me the first thing this reminded me of was when Joe Staten left Bungie. If you're a game-director you usually need to stick around for the duration of the project because there will be decisions to make until the day the game is locked and put into cert. I don't think she finished her work.

As others said, the warning sign is the fact that she does not currently have a replacement job. This isn't something you do unless you unexpectedly lost your position. i mean i would understand if she was moving to a different field, got ill, or want to spend time with family, But it appeared to be none of these.
I am sure things like this happen all the time, it's just that in this case, we had a new fan favorite employee we only recently got to know. And for her to suddenly depart under mysterious circumstances is never a good sign.

Sad to see her leave. The fact that she doesn't have a place already lined up suggests that perhaps she got terminated...suddenly...and didn't have time to prepare.
Why does this exist?
hWjJN9Y.jpg

Skyfox

This woman had extremely positive video game passion. A ray of hope and light.

And now unemployed?

I am very displeased. Her excitement and enthusiasm were infectious. We need her back.

Last edited:
Honestly, yes. Desperate male nerds who didn't know she existed made her sligthly famous after E3 and it went to her head thinking she now deserves better. Reality will soon hit.

Anyone with an ounce of creativity or talent deserves better than working for current day Bethesda.

Mikami should have stayed at Capcom.

xool

Honestly, yes. Desperate male nerds who didn't know she existed made her sligthly famous after E3 and it went to her head thinking she now deserves better. Reality will soon hit.

Ouch!

Lets hope for a better outcome than that.

Shantae

Banned
Oh man, I wouldn't want to work for Ubisoft..
Yeah...it's disheartening seeing such an full of life and enthusiastic designer go to a fucking soul crushing company like Ubi Soft. They're a few notches above the likes of EA and Activision because they can still produce a good game if a developer is allowed to (example: Mario + Rabbids), but it still feels like a place where her talent would be wasted.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Oh man, I wouldn't want to work for Ubisoft..
Yeah...it's disheartening seeing such an full of life and enthusiastic designer go to a fucking soul crushing company like Ubi Soft. They're a few notches above the likes of EA and Activision because they can still produce a good game if a developer is allowed to (example: Mario + Rabbids), but it still feels like a place where her talent would be wasted.

Did you both work for Ubisoft or do you enjoy posting false nonsense on forums? I'll go with the latter since there are a lot of Ubisoft workplaces spread around the world among other common-sense things.

EDMIX

they can still produce a good game if a developer is allowed

? You have evidence that their developers are not allowed to produce good games? Like actual real evidence that the publisher tries to stop good games? huh? Come on bud, I get someone can dislike a publisher or a developer, but relax on the false narratives to spin something.

Creative directors, art directors etc are literally hired to cultivate creativity and direct the artistic concept of a title. So this person is simply going from one company that she did that at, to another company to do the same.

I've seen no evidence to suggest Ubisoft is hiring someone to NOT DO something.

-Arcadia-

Banned
she has given us the inside details on her current project lol

Lmao. Well, this makes a lot more sense as to why she left. Paternity leave aside, I’m guessing she wants to raise the child without the demands of being a big-time game director, basically never seeing that child, and is seeking employment that allows that balance.

PresetError

Neophyte
TBF Kojima or Miyazaki would never let themselves get impregnated while leading a project. Truly unprofessional of her !!1!

To be clear, because you seem to interpret the opposite of what I was implying, I'm not saying getting pregnant is unprofessional and should get you fired. I was saying that considering she announced her departure on september 2019 and gave birth on june 2020 the chances of traditional way of thinking being the cause of her not being able to keep her job as director of Ghostwire Tokyo are very high.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Ooooh... So that's why she was let go? Japan, men...
She seeming left of her own accord at the beginning of September and then had her child at the beginning of June. Not to mention that she toured around studios for a few weeks after her departure. I don't necessarily think the two are related.

ShinNL

Lol, I'm new here, but his is sarcasm right? That post looks like it belongs on Resetera.

I just asked for a ban from that wretched place.
Oh poor soul, they got you good. Don't worry, you're just suffering from some REEEEE-anxieties. We have fun here and welcome.

Reactions: MrS
Top Bottom