DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Her condolences:

The reactions:

---

I don't see anything wrong with what Ilhan Omar said.

This is a perfect example of how addictive it can be to assume the intent of the person behind the tweet, therefore condemning them no matter what words they decided to use.

Rep. Omar isn't above valid criticism, but I thought this was a great example of why pretending to be a mind-reader is not healthy for yourself nor for society.

Oct 3, 2013
Scotland!!!!
Omar has been in recent news for negative reasons and now people are ready to bash her as soon as she opens her mouth it seems. Ah internet.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
I dunno isn’t Twitter 50% people tweeting about how other people are tweeting wrong?

Also who cares about “Amie Whatsherface” thinks?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
I don't see anything wrong w/ what she said.

That being said, I hope the left doesn't claim she is a victim again because of those tame replies to her tweet.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I dunno isn’t Twitter 50% people tweeting about how other people are tweeting wrong?

Also who cares about “Amie Whatsherface” thinks?
Well, some news outlets picked it up as well, but it's still the same 'mind-reading' issue that the Twitter users suffer from:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
Twitter by design encourages people to react impulsively for attention. It has done a good job of blurring the line between private and public discourse (to the detriment of society).

Reactions: RedVIper

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
I've tried to abstain a bit from piling on her, as, trolling aside, I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I assume she's probably more naive than outright bigoted. I do have problem with accusing your fellow citizens of "dual loyalty," because that exact idea has been used to cast suspicion on religious minorities throughout American history.

With that out of the way, I do kind of have a problem here, if only because of how relentlessly she puts her own religious identity front and center, no matter how irrelevant it is to the conversation or her critics. For someone like that to frame their sympathy within art and architecture bringing people together comes across as extraordinarily obtuse, especially when this building is obviously first and foremost a place of worship.

There's a theological reason for why Catholic churches are so elaborate and intricate. The patrons of these buildings spare no expense because we believe that Jesus Christ is physically present in these buildings and their tabernacles in the Eucharist. I think we tend to mesh all religion and culture into this common generic category of "things humans do!" attenuated by big buildings and pretty design, but it's important to resist that generalization and instead assert the purpose behind achievements like Notre Dame.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
Rep. Omar isn't above valid criticism, but I thought this was a great example of why pretending to be a mind-reader is not healthy for yourself nor for society.
I absolutely agree there is nothing wrong with what she said. I do, however, think it likely she knew she was intentionally skirting the line to evoke exactly the reaction she is getting.

Reactions: oagboghi2

Ryujin

Dec 28, 2006
This is a perfect example of how addictive it can be to assume the intent of the person behind the tweet, therefore condemning them no matter what words they decided to use.
Thank you! You got a heart from me for using the right word! There is a God!

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018
Her tweet didn't bother me. Linda Sarsour bringing up black churches to get her IdPol points in rubbed me the wrong way though.

AfricanKing

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2017
Black box in Mecca gets destroyed? "Sad day when art and architecture gets ruined"

I would fear for my life to post something like that on social media
Even the Bishop Of Paris was worried about the Art in the Church. It's irreplaceable, you can rebuild the church but that would be lost forever

Reactions: CatLady
Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Even the Bishop Of Paris was worried about the Art in the Church. It's irreplaceable, you can rebuild the church but that would be lost forever
He also spoke of the immense sense of spirituality it brought to the people of Paris. Michelle Obama acknowledged that also. It's just mind blowing someone will reference the fire at Notre Dame yet negate to acknowledge what it is and why so many find it important. She could have used this opportunity to reach out to Christians. She didn't even mention them.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with the original comment either.
"No-no, it's not simply Christianity Symbol, it's heart of Paris"
"No-no, it's not simply heart of Paris, it's France's soul!"

"No-no, it's more than X" game can be played no matter what you say.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Absolutely nothing wrong with her post. Nonames on twitter, including blue checks need to stop attention whoring.

HenkDV

Aug 11, 2018
The Notre Dame took me and my little sister in when nobody else would as raised us like we were her own.
#MoreThanArchitectureAndArt

• Love
Reactions: Bolivar687

AfricanKing

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2017
He also spoke of the immense sense of spirituality it brought to the people of Paris. Michelle Obama acknowledged that also. It's just mind blowing someone will reference the fire at Notre Dame yet negate to acknowledge what it is and why so many find it important. She could have used this opportunity to reach out to Christians. She didn't even mention them.
First and foremost the church is not a building, you need to understand that because within the Roman Catholic Church that is one of the main things any priest will tell you. The church is the assembly of people, its the community. You don't need to reference Christianity to feel a sense of loss and sorrow, most people that go an visit their do so because of its historical meaning, its an architectural marvel and as i said before irreplaceable of art lie within it. Spirituality is not a Catholic word as well it transcends anyone religion

I don't know why you insist on purity testing every comment Ilhan makes but this has got to be the saddest excuse to go after someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyFootball
Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
I don't know why you insist on purity testing every comment Ilhan makes but this has got to be the saddest excuse to go after someone.
Because she's incredibly tone deaf and self-serving. Pointing that out isn't a purity test. What a bunch of bullshit. Liberals can dish it out but cry like babies when people criticize them. Typical.

Reactions: TheGreatYosh

betrayal

Feb 2, 2018
You can't blame here for not showing compassion for Christianity. Empathy is a trait of smart people. Other than that, you don't need to like Ilhan Omar, but ultimately there's nothing wrong with what she has said. That statement could have been made by any atheist and nobody would care.

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018
Her comment about 9/11 was despicable, but I really see nothing wrong with her comment here. The people in her comments are reaching at straws.

These people would have condemned her either way. Had she referred to Christianity, they would have labeled her a hypocrite.

Reactions: Urban Viking

Helios

Gold Member
Jun 13, 2018
She is either very stupid or not good at public speaking. People aren't upset at Notre Dame burning becuase they are sad about architecteture.
It really mirrors Trump's tweet.

Is his tweet dumb? Yes. I think it doesn't take more than 5 seconds to understand why that would be a bad idea.
Does it warrant this obsessive behavior that people have to take apart every single word said (and also what's not said) in order to paint him as somehow not caring about the Notre Dame disaster?

Last edited:

E-Cat

Jan 14, 2013
Black box in Mecca gets destroyed? "Sad day when art and architecture gets ruined"

I would fear for my life to post something like that on social media
So, what are you, like a Christian fundamentalist? Everyone has to frame things according to your religion or they will suffer the consequences?

EverybodyHatesMe

Neo Member
Jul 29, 2018
Those mind readers are on to something. Ilhan Omar is a scoundrel and she needs to be mocked more often. She's the type who will do away with the first amendment when the moment comes. Devious little troll.

E-Cat

Jan 14, 2013
Why wouldn't Omar use this as a chance to appeal to Christians by acknowledging their faith and the importance of Christianity and intertwined with the cathedral?
Because to her, they might as well believe in a magical cookie monster in the sky? Why should she bend over backwards to appease them?

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Because to her, they might as well believe in a magical cookie monster in the sky? Why should she bend over backwards to appease them?
So she doesn't come off as an evil, calculating bitch. Looks like she doesn't care. Which is fine. She'll make a perfect poster child of the dysfunctional Democratic party.

E-Cat

Jan 14, 2013
So she doesn't come off as an evil, calculating bitch. Looks like she doesn't care. Which is fine. She'll make a perfect poster child of the dysfunctional Democratic party.
Care about the feelings of Christians? lol. I thought the far left were supposed to be the snowflakes.

Yoshi

Gold Member
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
She is either very stupid or not good at public speaking. People aren't upset at Notre Dame burning becuase they are sad about architecteture.
I know my wife was profoundly sad precisely because of that (it was also the only thing that touched me in that regard, other than the fact that other people's feelings might additionally be hurt, but to me it was not more significant than any other building burning). Different people are sad for different reasons. I agree with @DunDunDunpachi either way, that attacking Omar for her completely unproblematic tweet is not OK. And want to express my respect for him posting something that goes against his general political alignment.

Reactions: Arkage