• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ill never go full digital until these things happen

REE Machine

Banned
Yes they have the all digital boxes coming, good thing it's s choice because for me going all digital is anti consumer especially when it is limiting my options of what I can do with my purchased games.

1. The herpes effect: with digital much like with herpes once you get it your stuck with it, I usually doa good amount of research on games but every now and then you have a purchase you regret and you could be stuck with it

2. The Trade In Effect: with my digital games there are no options to sell my license of the game I bought back to said company for credit below the purchase price. When Im done with a game much like physical, if I dont want it anymore there should be an option to give my license back to the company for a credit on my account which is below the purchase price much like trading in games. That credit can they go to further games I wish to purchase

3. The Sellers Effect: Selling my digital license to a friend or someone online: Much like trade ins but I want to be able to sell my copy to a friend. There should be a system in place where my friend and I can agree on a price below the purchase price for said copy and he can credit money to my account which then I give him the license to my copy of the game via code of whatever it may be. This would be a good work around for friends that live in other locations as well.

The Sales Effect: psn and xbox digital sales just dont compete with physical. 9 times out of 10 have I seen cheaper physical copies of games compared to digital, i think a poster even this week showed the difference of physical games lower in price with 70% off where as the digital store still had the game at full price. I understand why people like pc gaming because there are many digital steam sales that are competitive or even third party locations which sell game codes for crazy cheap as well, once the digital store actually becomes competitive with retail stores, ill consider going digital.

It all comes down to options. People say MS especially have been pro consumer, but deep down Sony and MS with their digital games offer little incentive to actually go digital. You lose many options when going digital and you the consumer as well as your money are put on the back burner compared to physical media.

Stuart360

I dont think the 'selling a digital game to a friend or a store' thing will ever come into play. I do think you should be able to share digital games though.

Genx3

Once everything goes digital they will eventually remove the benefits they give you while they're trying to get everyone to switch.

For example right now you can have 1 console as your main and another with your ID/tag signed in and play 1 owned game on 2 consoles at the same time.
I could see that going away once there are no physical copies on store shelves.
Digital games will also keep their prices higher once there are no physical copies to sell.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You are going to get stuck with digital whether you like it or not. Even now, the "physical games" are not actually physical, as the game on the disc is the beta and you have to download the real game, which runs off the hard drive and the disc acts as DRM. It's a digital game with a disc key, that's all.

Rikoi

Man I agree with you, but all the reasons you listed are EXACTLY why they are pushing for digital.
I just hope that the DE ps5 will be a huge failure for them.

Also I can see retailers trying to push the sales of the disc version if they are smart, why would they push the DE version?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Once everything goes digital they will eventually remove the benefits they give you while they're trying to get everyone to switch.

For example right now you can have 1 console as your main and another with your ID/tag signed in and play 1 owned game on 2 consoles at the same time.
I could see that going away once there are no physical copies on store shelves.
Digital games will also keep their prices higher once there are no physical copies to sell.
Yep. All the digital fanboys on console never seem to realize this. Once consoles are full digital, you will have to pay what they say, and for how long they say. There will be no 'i'll get it from the store 2nd hand then' fallback plan.
Hopefully once consoles do go all digital, there will be a load of online key stores for console like with PC. Although there is no certainty that Sony and Microsoft would even allow you to use those keys.

48ybn1.jpg

kuncol02

Banned
You are going to get stuck with digital whether you like it or not. Even now, the "physical games" are not actually physical, as the game on the disc is the beta and you have to download the real game, which runs off the hard drive and the disc acts as DRM. It's a digital game with a disc key, that's all.
You totally and absolutely missed point of that thread. You didn't even aimed into same direction.

sn0man

that’s super true but it’s still an offline total ownership. It’s also A benefit to disc owners as you’re using the disc less aggressively which I assume helps it’s longevity. That might be bs though.

I'm mildly annoyed that Steam doesn't let me have 2 different games running on 2 different PCs... like yo Steam, you can tell that they're on a LAN and even offer streaming between the two. Aside from that I don't have much of a problem with digital. Reselling games was never a thing for me... loaning them to 'friends' only to never see them again was a thing though, so digital wins again.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
You totally and absolutely missed point of that thread. You didn't even aimed into same direction.

I didn't miss the point. He's not going to get those benefits and soon enough he won't get the option. The whole world is already moving in the direction of digital (>80%) and even if you buy the disc you still need an internet connection. This will be the last generation of games on disc.

By all means, keep buying discs if you want to, but it's not going to change that dynamic.

Last edited:

splattered

In my mind there are only two problems with all digital at the moment.

1) de-listing games because of licensing issues means you don't really own what you own. If you don't have something installed and it goes away you are hosed.

2) storage sizes aren't affordable in capacities large enough to hold big libraries/collections. This is going to be even worse next gen with proprietary SSD drives.

That being said i did transition to mostly all digital this gen and didn't regret it until i realized there is no large capacity expansion solution through the beginning of next gen.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
At this point a physical game (console game) is still worth something. So I can resell it. So as long as this is the case Ill be physical for console.

For PC its not really the case except for collectors editions so I am fine with all digital. Also for PC the sales are better (although console has caught up a bit).

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I didn't miss the point. He's not going to get those benefits and soon enough he won't get the option. The whole world is already moving in the direction of digital (>80%) and even if you buy the disc you still need an internet connection. This will be the last generation of games on disc.

By all means, keep buying discs if you want to, but it's not going to change that dynamic.

You did, because a disc being simply being the "key" to unlocking a large download has absolutely no bearing on your ability to sell/trade that disc. If you were talking about a CD key, it would be different.

OP is saying he wants the freedom to sell/trade his games and frankly it's probably never going to happen in the digital space, they want you buying digital so that you can't sell it on and add to the used game market.

kuncol02

Banned
1) de-listing games because of licensing issues means you don't really own what you own. If you don't have something installed and it goes away you are hosed.
That's how it works on consoles? On steam you can still download any game you bought. Even delisted ones.

Mmnow

I'd rather have discs. Trade in is a big plus for me, plus I collect other physical media.

But all of that goes out the window the second I can pick up a game cheap or it gets added to Gamepass/Now.

Digital just feels better. It's easier, it's quicker. It means everything I need to worry about is confined to a couple of plastic boxes hidden away.

I hope physical never completely goes away, or that publishers start selling codes directly or something like that to give at least the impression of competition.

But I have to admit, the bulk of my gaming is now digital, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Rikoi

The sales data during this quarantine period are misleading, and I am not sure what people that are advocating for those have to gain.
Have fun buying your digital games for 100$ without ever seeing sales once the physical option is gone.

• LOL
Reactions: AV

diffusionx

Gold Member
The sales data during this quarantine period are misleading, and I am not sure what people that are advocating for those have to gain.
Have fun buying your digital games for 100$ without ever seeing sales once the physical option is gone.

I still buy physical console games actually. I didn’t say I supported any of this but it’s reality.

Look at the PC.

NickFire

I don't blame anyone for staying with discs. Makes perfect sense. Only reason I don't is I'm lazy and like switching games without standing up.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Lol what? People simply won't bother if the cost is too much, of course there'll still be sales. People are already not happy looking at the $70 digital future. What, you think Sony and MS will agree to price everything exactly the same because discs are gone now?

REE Machine

Banned
Lol what? People simply won't bother if the cost is too much, of course there'll still be sales. People are already not happy looking at the $70 digital future. What, you think Sony and MS will agree to price everything exactly the same because discs are gone now?
We already grabbed our ankles for playstation multiplayer adding a fee to it, gamers dont budge alot when needed, if digital game sales go up people will still buy it. This is how dumb gamers are.

Rikoi

You are right, it will be 99,99$, so people will believe that they cost 90$ (Yes, I have friends that think like that).
The point is that the prices will increase a lot once the physical market competition is gone, you will be forced to buy from their store, and you will have to accept it, or simply don't play at all.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

There are people who still buy records (who aren't DJs). So it takes all kinds, I guess. The manufacturers will make disc systems for the forseeable future, so you get to choose. I still find it strange. Like a PC gamer who still orders games on discs. "They still make you?"

TheContact

The only reason I like digital is because I don't like swapping discs. Everything else about physical is much more appealing than digital, but not having to swap discs is a HUGE quality of life improvement that trumps the benefits of physical imo.

Back during the 360 Era, I had starting buying digital games. Banjo Kazooie, limbo, super meat boy, stuff like that.

I had about a year were I didn't play BK or BT. I decided to play the first one, one day and both were OFF my console. I figured I deleted them and just had to redownload. Nope. They wanted me to rebuy the games.

Since then, I have become that annoying physical only mofo who gets pissed if something is just dig. Isn't that right, Capcom.

I'm so fucking glad this happened to me, and all these fuckers literally praying for physical to die, are going to get a nice wake up call when it happens. Fucking idiots.

AV

You are right, it will be 99,99$, so people will believe that they cost 90$ (Yes, I have friends that think like that).
The point is that the prices will increase a lot once the physical market competition is gone, you will be forced to buy from their store, and you will have to accept it, or simply don't play at all.
We already grabbed our ankles for playstation multiplayer adding a fee to it, gamers dont budge alot when needed, if digital game sales go up people will still buy it. This is how dumb gamers are.

For a start, we have another ~7 years of discs incoming (at least), what with both next "gen" systems having disc drive options. The forced digital future isn't even here yet. Second, prices are not dramatically going to rise by 50% all of a sudden when discs are no longer an option, because people simply won't entertain the idea. Of course some people will, some people would already pay $200 if necessary. But big companies aren't about to start overcharging for products and making less overall due to a lack of interest, they aren't stupid.

It's why games are actually really cheap when you consider how much they used to cost and factor in inflation. Probably the cheapest they've ever been.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

That's how it works on consoles? On steam you can still download any game you bought. Even delisted ones.
I don't think that happens for purchased games, more like demos. If you purchase a digital product, and it wasn't listed as an expiring purchase, you can make a legal claim for a refund or to access the game again. I doubt that is happening.

There are people who still buy records (who aren't DJs). So it takes all kinds, I guess.

So I am one of those people, and at least for myself and the people I know in the same position, it is a bit different to what you assume.
For the majority of people, streaming music is now king. Not even buying a digital version. That means that you own it even less than a digital version and it also means the artist usually gets pretty screwed in terms of the cut they get! For me, buying records is a way to support small artists I like, similar to buying merch etc. I do sometimes listen to music on Vinyl, but the vast majority of my music listening is still streaming.

Games are a bit different. I can't see anyone buying the physical copy to "support" a studio or whatever.

Rikoi

Needs more sales before I bother. I can get AAA games cheaper second hand or on amazon sales then digital.
Not only you can buy a physical games for cheaper, you can also resell them, and the 2nd buyer can resell it too.
That's why they hate physical copies, they force price drops.

Stuart360

Remember when digital games became a thing, many years ago, all we heard was 'there is no middleman', 'no manufacturing', 'digital games will be $20 cheaper', etc. When in reality digital games are usually more than in stores. If Digital games really were like $15-20 cheaper than retail (which they probably could be without the store cut and manufacturing) people would probably be more open to digital.

kuncol02

Banned
That’s why some PS4s are selling for a ridiculous price because of installed P.T.
P.T. was free demo, so kind of different situation. Still terrible from gaming history preservation point of view, but not that bad like being locked from purchased games.

Three

I'm with you. there is a lot I love about physical games but my lazy ass has won again. Being able to play my games on multiple machines in the house and not having to get up is the only reason I do it.

Top Bottom