• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm astounded by the addictive nature of HYRULE WARRIORS. Are other musou this good?

Audioboxer

How does Samurai Warriors 4 compare to Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate?

I'm playing through Orochi just now and enjoying it, but I had to order SW4 online the other day as I got the Anime edition for £17. Waiting on it arriving.

I also found myself addicted to hyrule warriors and wanting more. Bought orochi 3 ulitmate for the ps4 and yes it is even beter.

Only 25 euro's on the EU store now I believe.. Highly recommend it!

There is also a Wii U version called orochi 3 hyper. But if you have options go for the ps4 version. It has more characters and runs in 1080p/60fps (mostly)

Crumbtiny

I've had HW since launch, played a few levels and then shelved it. I picked it up again this weekend and I'm so glad I did. I have quite a few games in my back log I've been switching between in hopes one would get its hooks in me. HW did exactly that. I'm a sucker for games with unlockable costumes, especially when it's a game with a rich history to draw on like this.

Love this game and its breadth of content. If I buy the season pass does that give me access to all of the DLC? This game makes me want to go back and finish off all the Zelda games I never finished, there are quite a few characters that I don't recall which game they are from.

Also, what other musou games are out there now that people recommend? I've seen a few named here, is there a consensus on which one/s are the best? Have both other current gen consoles.

Pretty excited to dive deeper into HW in the meantime.

Arkanius

I never felt the lure of Musou games. The AI never did anything and it felt just a Mash "X" button game.

But god damn if this thread isn't convincing me to get Hyrule Warriors. It looks like such a polished and full of content game.

I never felt the lure of Musou games. The AI never did anything and it felt just a Mash "X" button game.

But god damn if this thread isn't convincing me to get Hyrule Warriors. It looks like such a polished and full of content game.
There's a lot of content but honestly pressing the same button it two gets old fast. I'm a huge Zelda fan but this game didn't grip me like everyone else. I put in 9 hours and got bored quick.

Picked this up for my birthday and because I figured my Wii U should get at least SOME Zelda love this year...

Enjoying it so far. I can see the gameplay getting a little repetitive, but there's something oddly satisfying about cutting through swathes of Stalfos with the simple combo system.

... that Wind Waker DLC neglect though :'(

What about Dragon Quest Heroes? How does it stack up to HW or the best Dynasty Warriors games?

Just like OP, HW is my first Musou type of game and I'm having a blast with it. I've never played a DQ game to completion but I'm cautiously optimistic about DQ Heroes.

What about Dragon Quest Heroes? How does it stack up to HW or the best Dynasty Warriors games?

Just like OP, HW is my first Musou type of game and I'm having a blast with it. I've never played a DQ game to completion but I'm cautiously optimistic about DQ Heroes.

DQ Heroes isn't a musou. You don't have an army and don't try to take territories and bases and whatnot. It looks cool though; you'll get lots of impressions when it releases here in the west, no doubt. I'm curious on it too.

Pirate Warriors is the closest to Hyrule Warriors. The third game is coming at the end of summer, and it looks pretty incredible.

Heartfyre

From everything I've seen and heard from impressions, it's the biggest shake-up of the Musou formula yet, and adds in a lot of RPG mechanics. Yet not so much that it moves away from the large-scale action gameplay we know from Musou games. You're still taking out twenty enemies with one sword swing. I don't feel as though I can give a fair comparison to Hyrule Warriors until I actually play Dragon Quest Heroes myself, but, overall, I've heard only glowing reactions to the imported version, so I think we'll have something to look forward to later this year.

From everything I've seen and heard from impressions, it's the biggest shake-up of the Musou formula yet, and adds in a lot of RPG mechanics. Yet not so much that it moves away from the large-scale action gameplay we know from Musou games. You're still taking out twenty enemies with one sword swing. I don't feel as though I can give a fair comparison to Hyrule Warriors until I actually play Dragon Quest Heroes myself, but, overall, I've heard only glowing reactions to the imported version, so I think we'll have something to look forward to later this year.
I'm confused. Is DQH a game inspired by Musou, made by different people and essentially a rip-off or is it a Musou game with a DQ coat of paint (like HW) and a shaken formula made by the same team at Tecmo that makes Musou games?

If DQH was made by Tecmo I don't think it can't be considered a Musou rip off (HW isn't either). If Tecmo's team had nothing to do with it then it is a rip off.

I'm confused. Is DQH a game inspired by Musou, made by different people and essentially a rip-off or is it a Musou game with a DQ coat of paint (like HW) and a shaken formula made by the same team at Tecmo that makes Musou games?

If DQH was made by Tecmo I don't think it can't be considered a Musou rip off (HW isn't either). If Tecmo's team had nothing to do with it then it is a rip off.

What are you talking about? Nobody called it a rip-off. It's neither of your two options.

EDIT: Oh, maybe you're confused with the word "musou". Musou is not a trademarked word by Tecmo or whatever. Musou is the name of a genre.

What are you talking about? Nobody called it a rip-off. It's neither of your two options.

EDIT: Oh, maybe you're confused with the word "musou". Musou is not a trademarked word by Tecmo or whatever. Musou is the name of a genre.
Yes I'm definitely confused. I said it in my post. If it isn't any of my options what is it? I just googled it and it was developed by the same guys that did HW. But it isn't a traditional Musou game with a DQ skin like HW was with Zelda.

I am at a loss.

Yes I'm definitely confused. I said it in my post. If it isn't any of my options what is it? I just googled it and it was developed by the same guys that did HW. But it isn't a traditional Musou game with a DQ skin like HW was with Zelda.

I am at a loss.

?

I already explained it. You've got a few misconceptions. First of all, not all musou titles are made by Tecmo. Dynasty Warriors 2 started the musou genre, but many other series made other developers do musou as well, such as Sengoku Basara by Capcom. In this case though yeah I'm fairly certain DQH is made by the same publisher that made HW (could be wrong; just Google it indeed if you want to know for sure what studio worked on what). Now, your second misconception is that every game in which you beat up a hundred dudes at a time is a musou. Look up the genre musou to learn more on what it is. And as I already explained in my first post, DQH is indeed not a traditional musou game; it's not a musou.

?

I already explained it. You've got a few misconceptions. First of all, not all musou titles are made by Tecmo. Dynasty Warriors 2 started the musou genre, but many other series made other developers do musou as well, such as Sengoku Basara by Capcom. In this case though yeah I'm fairly certain DQH is made by the same publisher that made HW (could be wrong; just Google it indeed if you want to know for sure what studio worked on what). Now, your second misconception is that every game in which you beat up a hundred dudes at a time is a musou. Look up the genre musou to learn more on what it is. And as I already explained in my first post, DQH is indeed not a traditional musou game; it's not a musou.
Ok let me rephrase my question then:

Hyrule Warriors was intended to be a Dynasty Warriors game with a Zelda skin down to it being published by Tecmo Koei and everything. Is DQH intended to be a Dynasty Warriors with a DQ skin too? It doesn't seem Tecmo Koei is laying a hand on it but the developer (Omega Force) is the same as HW.

Ok let me rephrase my question then:

Hyrule Warriors was intended to be a Dynasty Warriors game with a Zelda skin down to it being published by Tecmo Koei and everything. Is DQH intended to be a Dynasty Warriors with a DQ skin too? It doesn't seem Tecmo Koei is laying a hand on it but the developer is the same as HW.

For the third and last time: no, DQH is not a musou. Jesus.

This is tiresome. I'm sure it'll become more clear for you when DQH launches in the west.

For the third and last time: no, DQH is not a musou. Jesus.

This is tiresome. I'm sure it'll become more clear for you when DQH launches in the west.
You keep saying what it isn't but not what it actually is. But you're right. It'll be clear when it launches here. If it's half as fun as HW I'll buy it (even if it isn't a Musou game I keep reading comparisons being made!).

Kikujiro

Unfortunately, none of the others are as good.

Hyrule Warriors has that Zelda factor that brings it up a notch.

That's absolutely not true, they are basically the same, it's all down to the setting and the characters. I don't care about Zelda characters so I will always prefer the Three Reign setting or the gigantic cast of the Orochi series.

A tip: If you pause, and go to "Battlefield Information," you'll see a list of your allies. Pick one and it'll show you where they are on the map. If you scroll right, you'll see a list of the enemies. Pick one and it'll show you where they are on the map. If you scroll left, you'll see a list of keeps (including the Allied Base). Pick one and you'll see where it's at.

In your case, use it to check where Fi is. Follow her and fend off enemies around her until she continues moving to where she makes the soup and calls the whale, who'll then create a bridge, allowing you to move to the next part of the map.

Also, when an ally or enemy talks, you'll see a ripple on the map where they're located. When an ally is in trouble, finding them and touching them (they'll be surrounded by blue rings) will heal them instantly.

When bombchus are on the move, they're a blinking x moving along a dashed line on the map. That shows where they're heading. Defend them or destroy them accordingly.

If you capture keeps around the Allied Base, the Allied Base will last longer. Remember, defeat enough enemies in the keep to empty its red meter and reveal the captain, who upon defeat will turn the meter blue. :)

Often, you have to capture enough keeps or defeat enough enemy captains (highlighted white) to lure out the enemy commander -- he or she will open the gates to their lair, sending out a faction of troops for a counterattack, and that's when you can move in for the kill (or stop to defend against the incoming enemies, boosting your KO count, building special meter, collecting rupees and materials, etc).

Another tip: You don't have to pick up materials or rupees. They're all picked up automatically at the end of the mission.

Another tip: If you hold the dash button, you'll automatically go into a run. You can then release it and you'll keep running.

Another tip: By collecting magic, you fill up the green meter on the left of the screen. Once full, tap the right shoulder button to go into Focus Energy. You'll break the enemy captain's guard, doing more chip damage; you'll rack up more rupees and materials from enemies; you'll be more resistant to knock-back, and faster all around. And if you use a special attack during Focus Energy, you'll instantly reveal the Weakpoint Gauge of an enemy captain. Once that gauge is depleted, you'll deal serious damage to them. Normally, you have to bait and sidestep their attacks to briefly reveal the gauge, so this is like a nifty shortcut.
The dash button? Could you tell me which button is that? I just checked the instruction booklet and there's not a single mention of a dash button. As far as I knew you just hold the stick in a direction and after a few seconds of normal running the character begins dashing until you hit a wall or let go of the stick. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to go from zero straight to dash with a button and I don't know about it?

With over 400 hours in HW, I have to say, it is my GOTY for 2014 and maybe even this year as well. The amount of content with the $19.99 DLC pack is insane. No matter how many levels I knock out, there is a seemingly bottomless supply to replenish them.

...and I am pretty sure dash is done by either just pressing forward for two seconds or holding in "b" until you start running.

Also, Ganon's Fury is amazing and very addictive as well.

fan boyism will usually dictate what musou people adore. Hyrule Warriors by musou standards is pretty meh to me, but someone who isn't even the slightest bit keen on, or willing to explore the relationships and history of a bunch of ancient Chinese generals and rulers will find it hard to glean any enjoyment out of a main entry.

I LOVE Hyrule Warriors... and I played a lot of Musou games before this one.

I really love DW7 and Orochi 3 to death but after playing HW I still have trouble going back to play those, mostly because I feel that they need to add lock-on for the captains, that alone made the fights more fast paced form me and fun to me.

The other games are incredible too, of the ones I played I can rank them like this:

1) Dynasty Warriors 7
2) Warriors Orochi 3
3) Hyrule Warriors
4) One Piece 1 & 2 (Booth games are an incredible package, the first is kind of lackluster but the 2 is amazing)

I also played Souls of Zill'Oll who takes the formula to an Action RPG and is INCREDIBLE, sadly I borrowed to a friend who lost it and I haven't finished it yet T_T and I am salty because that game appear to be one hell of a trip...
Not a musou game but definitely from the fathers of musou, Zill is One of my favorite games of all time, and it stayed stellar throughout. Sorry your friend let you down

ZhugeEX

Banned

Hyrule Warriors was developed by Omega Force, the same team at Koei Tecmo who develop that Dynasty Warriors / Samurai Warriors / Warriors Orochi / One Piece Warriors etc... games.

Hyrule Warriors is a Musou game as it is based on the same gameplay style as Dynasty Warriors.

Dragon Quest Heroes is also developed by Omega Force. It is branded an "Action RPG" and is similar to Koei's previous games like Trinity: Souls of Zill Oll.

Dragon Quest Heroes is similar to a Musou game but has a number of RPG elements and also heavy influence from Square Enix. So whilst it is very similar to a musou game, its not the exact same style as say Hyrule Warriors or Dynasty Warriors, just similar and more RPG elements.

Of course both are developed by Omega Force.

NZerker12

Currently playing One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (jpn digital), for me personally it completely outshines Hyrule Warriors and is currently the best musou game to date.

Anteo

The dash button? Could you tell me which button is that? I just checked the instruction booklet and there's not a single mention of a dash button. As far as I knew you just hold the stick in a direction and after a few seconds of normal running the character begins dashing until you hit a wall or let go of the stick. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to go from zero straight to dash with a button and I don't know about it?

Press and hold the roll move for like 1 second, your character will initiate a dash out of the roll.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How does Samurai Warriors 4 compare to Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate?

I'm playing through Orochi just now and enjoying it, but I had to order SW4 online the other day as I got the Anime edition for £17. Waiting on it arriving.

SW4 has more modernized mechanics and certainly improved visuals; Orochi 3 Ultimate is a remastered port of a 2011 game afterall, while SW4 is a 2014 release. Combat particularly added some interesting new elements that help with the overall flow, but are somewhat divisive in the hardcore community(some balance adjustments will be coming in the upcoming expansion seemingly).

The campaign is less goofy and quite different from the more silly affair of Orochi 3. I prefer Orochi overall, but SW4 is quite a good entry.

Hyrule Warriors was developed by Omega Force, the same team at Koei Tecmo who develop that Dynasty Warriors / Samurai Warriors / Warriors Orochi / One Piece Warriors etc... games.

Hyrule Warriors is a Musou game as it is based on the same gameplay style as Dynasty Warriors.

Dragon Quest Heroes is also developed by Omega Force. It is branded an "Action RPG" and is similar to Koei's previous games like Trinity: Souls of Zill Oll.

Dragon Quest Heroes is similar to a Musou game but has a number of RPG elements and also heavy influence from Square Enix. So whilst it is very similar to a musou game, its not the exact same style as say Hyrule Warriors or Dynasty Warriors, just similar and more RPG elements.

Of course both are developed by Omega Force.
And now it's clear. Thank you.

And thanks for the dash tip, guys. I never would've guessed it.

HF2014

I watch this game for a long time and decide to pull the trigger on a used copy along with Bloodborne on Ps4. Only played the first stage of Hyrule atm, but im quite surprise that i enjoy beating the crap and making sick moves with this game! Kinda let go my frustration of being unable to move forward in Bloodborne lol.

So far, its a keeper! Love it. Dont know if other mosou games are like that, but its the first one that draw my interest.

HF2014

With over 400 hours in HW, I have to say, it is my GOTY for 2014 and maybe even this year as well. The amount of content with the $19.99 DLC pack is insane. No matter how many levels I knock out, there is a seemingly bottomless supply to replenish them.

...and I am pretty sure dash is done by either just pressing forward for two seconds or holding in "b" until you start running.

Also, Ganon's Fury is amazing and very addictive as well.

Does the 19,99 pack only give you uniforms? Im thinking its only giving you uniform, am i wrong?

Does the 19,99 pack only give you uniforms? Im thinking its only giving you uniform, am i wrong?
The $20 season pass DLC gives you 4 Packs: Boss, Twilight, Majora's and Master Quest (I think those are the names). Not sure what you mean by uniforms.

Guys, this game isn't compatible at all with the WiiRemote + Classic Controller configurations is it? It's already basically the Pro Controller (minus clicks analog sticks which HW doesn't even need) so I'd guess they would work wouldn't they? I mean they managed to make it work with Wiimote + Nunchuck, even!

So I just got Link's Master Sword. What's that "25,000" sealed thingy in its attributes? I don't understand what it does or what I should do to unlock it's power (if there's anything to unlock in the first place).

mclem

So I just got Link's Master Sword. What's that "25,000" sealed thingy in its attributes? I don't understand what it does or what I should do to unlock it's power (if there's anything to unlock in the first place).

You need all the weapons to start reducing that number, IIRC

yogloo

Musou games are exponentially better if you like the source material.
They are merely average if you are not into it. There's nothing special about the game mechanics.

mclem

Goddamn, all the weapons? I take it I'll have to beat the entire Adventure Mode in addition to Legend Mode to unlock them all, isn't it?

Good News: It's all non-DLC ones. The spinner's excluded as well.
Bad News: It's all *levels* of weapon.

You basically need to do pretty much everything, yes.

What was the original level cap of the base game at launch? 100?

Musou games are exponentially better if you like the source material.
They are merely average if you are not into it. There's nothing special about the game mechanics.
I quite like the tactical trappings for an action game, and I can't think of any direct parallels elsewhere in gaming.

Top Bottom