• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm becoming disillusioned with Hideo Kojima.....

Hi, I'm MiyazakiHatesKojima. You may remember me from such threads as "I hugged Hideo Kojima, AMA" and the culturally shifting "My First LTTP: Papers, Please". As you all know, I'm an admirer of Hideo Kojima and have long since been a fan of his works. Over the years, I've been defending Kojima at all costs and never questioned my loyalty to senpai.

However, the day has come when my love for senpai is almost on the edge of falling off the cliff. Hearing about how flock of fans ran up to the stage during today's Gamescom conference and took selfies with Kojima made me realize something: Kojima is an icon. Yes, I know that may sound strange but I realized that Kojima is just like your typical A-List celebrity that possesses both fame and artistic integrity.

This is NOT why I fell in love with Kojima's works over the past years. I've genuinely admired him to be a somewhat of a genius game developer that creates ingenious gameplay and immersive worlds and only that. I never realized how much of a diva icon he's become in the industry and it's putting me off from my admiration of Kojima.

I've prepared a resignation letter already, but I thought I should speak about my feelings on GAF first before making the biggest decision of my life.

GAF, what do you think?

Edit: I know this sounds like a silly thread, but it's not. I've literally started to become disillusioned with Kojima-san. I'm hoping the diverse voices on this forum can speak their thoughts about this and share it with me.

Last edited:

Raph64

giphy.gif

Gargus

Banned
Becoming an icon isn't something he chose to become, his fans made him one. It wasn't until silent hill fans blew up at the cancellation of PT and information came out about him leaving konami did fans rally behind him. His fans boosted his popularity, he didn't try to become an icon. He has allowed himself just as much media attention as he always had, anything outside of that isn't his choice because it's people coming to him.

He is still the same guy he always has been, still making creative games, and doing what he always has done.

Besides, you seem to be taking this so personally about a person you don't actually know. He is just a guy is all. I have no concern over what people think of him, what he thinks of himself or any of that, all I care about is does he make good games. His personal life or whatnot doesn't matter to me. Someone could have told me Quentin Tarantino runs a under ground gambling circuit where people bet how many orphaned 3 year olds bolo yeung can kill bare handed in 30 seconds but I'd still love his movies. Because whatever he is outside of making movies I don't care because I don't personally know him.

Has he actually done anything diva-esque?

If he's handling the fame with humility and grace, that's all the more reason to respect the man.
What triggered me today is reading on reddit about how fans flocked to the stage and took selfies with him. I hate hearing about that kind of stuff and I honestly started to realize why there is a strong vocal minority that hate Kojima. Some of the posts here are giving me some perspective.

GrayChild

I'm becoming disillusioned with Hideo, as after all these years I still can't make him notice me.

A smile and a simple "Hi" would be enough to warm my heart for the rest of my life.

But Koji-sama never turns his face towards me. And so, I'm sitting in the rain, thinking about how alone I've been through out my entire life. Not because of lack of human interactions mind you. No. I simply realized I need someone who can make me feel special. And the only person in this world who can do that is Kojima.

Last edited:
I'm becoming disillusioned with Hideo, as after all these years I still can't make him notice me.

A smile and a simple "Hi" would be enough to warm my heart for the rest of my life.

But Koji-sama never turns his face towards me. And so, I'm sitting in the rain, thinking about how alone I've been through out my entire life. Not because of lack of human interactions mind you. No. I simply realized I need someone who can make me feel special. And the only person in this world who can do that is Kojima.
hideooooo.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Its like enjoying any other big time game designer's work. Ignore the fact that they probably live in a mansion with big buckets of money, that they may or may not be incredibly rude on social media, and the fact that they don't like most of their fans. If I ever met a big time game designer like Kojima. I would bow (Japanese custom) and I would thank him for his work. That it is all. No sense staring into the abyss and having the abyss stare back at you.

Roufianos

I love the man for creating my favourite game series but I feel the same. Hope he proves us wrong with Death Stranding.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i dunno man, he's just a guy making games. i heard about the silly Kojima fest at the video game conference today but i decided against reading anything about it cos i just knew it would be nothing but bad vibes. i also didn't follow the Gamescom news today, so i probably missed out on alot more. the Kojima salt can be toxic and overflowing, beware.

people are really weird about celebrity. they are weird about fame. it changes how people treat you. truth is, most famous people, all famous people, are just people, just like you or me. for some reason people feel entitled to thrash and curse celebs, to act out the public Crucifixion rituals we pretend we are past to dehumanize them and make demands of them. there is a real person at the center of that, yet they are ignored for this meta person created largely by the media & meme-makers.

personally, i think it's fine to feel however you want to feel about whoever. try to give people the benefit of the doubt. i would say to consider whether you feel this way about a person or about something else. from the OP it sounds like you may simply be disillusioned with the industry rather than a man whose latest work you have yet to experience.

as far as the idolization, there is nothing more self congratulatory than industry events. building up icons and knocking them down is what the media is based on, and industries love their personalities, their famous people as marketable brands. this event was always going to be that, a hyping of his brand, for he is a massively popular talent, and to be upset that it is what it was always going to be, i dunno, maybe just ignore it? i don't sit and watch every Grammy awards either, cos i know those are bullshit. they are industry events, there for promotion, there for hype. they have little to do with artists aside from pimping them out.

Kojima gets dragged out there regardless of whether he feels deserving of all this acclaim or not. do not mistake all the idolization for what he wants. he just wants to make games. it is game promoters, journalists, message board warriors, etc. all the bullshit surrounding the actual artists, that is responsible for the bullshit 99% of the time. it is also entirely out of their hands. Kojima is not deciding the schedule for this conference, someone else is.

Last edited:
i dunno man, he's just a guy making games. i heard about the silly Kojima fest at the video game conference today but i decided against reading anything about it cos i just knew it would be nothing but bad vibes. i also didn't follow the Gamescom news today, so i probably missed out on alot more. the Kojima salt can be toxic and overflowing, beware.

people are really weird about celebrity. they are weird about fame. it changes how people treat you. truth is, most famous people, all famous people, are just people, just like you or me. for some reason people feel entitled to thrash and curse celebs, to act out the public Crucifixion rituals we pretend we are past to dehumanize them and make demands of them. there is a real person at the center of that, yet they are ignored for this meta person created largely by the media & meme-makers.

personally, i think it's fine to feel however you want to feel about whoever. try to give people the benefit of the doubt. i would say to consider whether you feel this way about a person or about something else. from the OP it sounds like you may simply be disillusioned with the industry rather than a man whose latest work you have yet to experience.

there is nothing more self congratulatory than industry events, and this is just that, it was always going to be that, and to be upset that it is what it was always going to be, i dunno, maybe just ignore it? i don't sit and watch every Grammy awards either, cos i know those are bullshit. they are industry events, there for promotion, there for hype. they have little to do with artists aside from pimping them out.

Kojima gets dragged out there regardless of whether he feels deserving of all this acclaim or not. do not mistake all the idolization for what he wants. he just wants to make games. it is game promoters, journalists, message board warriors, etc. all the bullshit surrounding the actual artists, that is responsible for the bullshit 99% of the time. it is also entirely out of their hands. Kojima is not deciding the schedule for this conference, someone else is.
I honestly agree with everything that you said. It's funny how yesterday I was thinking of how much the industry is changing for better or worse. I just got triggered by the fandom of Kojima that I never realized until today, oddly enough. I really hope he doesn't let fame get to him and I may take a break from fanboying Kojima and readjust my perspective of him over the next few months.

Thank you for taking my thread seriously.

GrayChild

I'm not a religious person. I've never been.

But seeing Kojima today made me feel close to something which is (for a lack of a better word) divine in nature. Like the Holy Spirit has descended from above and people were gathering to bask in its eternal grace. Just like how Jesus managed to feed 5000 people with only two fish and five loafs of bread, it is Hideo who managed to feed the minds and souls of million people by letting them peek into his vast spiritual ocean of creativity.

Last edited:
Ah, the "I'm giving up Kojima for good" thread when a strange or controversial gameplay video is released for one of his upcoming games.

Kojima has been trolling fans since playable Snake in MGS2. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What are the chances that he does something similar for Death Stranding? I know for a fact that Konami had full trust in Kojima's vision at the time, but now it's different: Sony wants to make sure Death Stranding is a success by every measure. An elaborate Kojima troll may not work this time around. Who knows.

Ozrimandias

Hi, I'm MiyazakiHatesKojima. You may remember me from such threads as "I hugged Hideo Kojima, AMA" and the culturally shifting "My First LTTP: Papers, Please". As you all know, I'm an admirer of Hideo Kojima and have long since been a fan of his works. Over the years, I've been defending Kojima at all costs and never questioned my loyalty to senpai.

However, the day has come when my love for senpai is almost on the edge of falling off the cliff. Hearing about how flock of fans ran up to the stage during today's Gamescom conference and took selfies with Kojima made me realize something: Kojima is an icon. Yes, I know that may sound strange but I realized that Kojima is just like your typical A-List celebrity that possesses both fame and artistic integrity.

This is NOT why I fell in love with Kojima's works over the past years. I've genuinely admired him to be a somewhat of a genius game developer that creates ingenious gameplay and immersive worlds and only that. I never realized how much of a diva icon he's become in the industry and it's putting me off from my admiration of Kojima.

I've prepared a resignation letter already, but I thought I should speak about my feelings on GAF first before making the biggest decision of my life.

GAF, what do you think?

Edit: I know this sounds like a silly thread, but it's not. I've literally started to become disillusioned with Kojima-san. I'm hoping the diverse voices on this forum can speak their thoughts about this and share it with me.

Welcome to my world.
"What took you so long"

ROMhack

Kind of agree. I saw Hideo Kojima at a grocery store in Akihabara last week. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, rike you do now?”. I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen copies of Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “サー、あなたはそれらの最初に支払う必要があります”. At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the boxes and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical transfarring” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each copy and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Last edited:
this topic is more active than the deeath stranding gamescom one.
Im still triying to handle it honestly. Im pretty sure you and i consider Kojima a mastermind, but the conflict comes when you look around his work. Like a Love Hate relationship.
Yeah, that's why I may stop checking out his twitter account and just play his games only. I'll start to let his work do the talking and not his persona.

Top Bottom