• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm becoming disillusioned with Hideo Kojima.....

Ozrimandias

Yeah, that's why I may stop checking out his twitter account and just play his games only. I'll start to let his work do the talking and not his persona.
Lets put aside his "primadonna" personality.

Lets talk about his work.
The phantom pain is an awesome game, P.T was an absolute impact in terms of marketing, looked really promising, really sad that it wasnt finished.

With that said....i think his work has becoming worse through the years.

INC

stan.jpg

BDg9bfU.png

Last edited:

A.Romero

Don't get it. How is it different now that people flock to take pictures.

He came to my country a few years back and did a signing. People were in line for 6 hours and many had to leave without nothing.

He has been a celebrity for quite a while. The biggest proof is MGSV. He was fired for what Konami thought seem like incompetence and still got a dream job at Sony. It's like if he was a junkie Hollywood darling.

That said, he is involved in great games. I love his games and his vision.

(BTW I did get a signed postal. A friend got it for me but I would never stand in line for hours to get it).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, that's why I may stop checking out his twitter account and just play his games only. I'll start to let his work do the talking and not his persona.
Isn't what you should have done in the first place!!? I love Yoko Taro, but I don't follow him at all in social media because what I like about him is his works, and thats all.

Lets put aside his "primadonna" personality.

Lets talk about his work.
The phantom pain is an awesome game, P.T was an absolute impact in terms of marketing, looked really promising, really sad that it wasnt finished.

With that said....i think his work has becoming worse through the years.
I'm assuming he got tired of working for Konami and wanted pure freedom, which he got with Sony. Death Stranding will prove to is whether he still got it as a developer or not.

Isn't what you should have done in the first place!!? I love Yoko Taro, but I don't follow him at all in social media because what I like about him is his works, and thats all.
Interesting, never thought this would be the case with other Japanese developers too, Kamiya being the exception.

Pallas

Gold Member
Hi, I'm MiyazakiHatesKojima. You may remember me from such threads as "I hugged Hideo Kojima, AMA" and the culturally shifting "My First LTTP: Papers, Please". As you all know, I'm an admirer of Hideo Kojima and have long since been a fan of his works. Over the years, I've been defending Kojima at all costs and never questioned my loyalty to senpai.

However, the day has come when my love for senpai is almost on the edge of falling off the cliff. Hearing about how flock of fans ran up to the stage during today's Gamescom conference and took selfies with Kojima made me realize something: Kojima is an icon. Yes, I know that may sound strange but I realized that Kojima is just like your typical A-List celebrity that possesses both fame and artistic integrity.

This is NOT why I fell in love with Kojima's works over the past years. I've genuinely admired him to be a somewhat of a genius game developer that creates ingenious gameplay and immersive worlds and only that. I never realized how much of a diva icon he's become in the industry and it's putting me off from my admiration of Kojima.

I've prepared a resignation letter already, but I thought I should speak about my feelings on GAF first before making the biggest decision of my life.

GAF, what do you think?

Edit: I know this sounds like a silly thread, but it's not. I've literally started to become disillusioned with Kojima-san. I'm hoping the diverse voices on this forum can speak their thoughts about this and share it with me.

Never give up your love, if you feel like you are becoming way too obsessive, then take a break. You can still admire Kojima-San while keeping a healthy amount of admiration/obsession without going out into the deep end. Gotta keep that balance between the two. Carry on Kojima’s ace disciple~
This reads like a cry for help.

Put this man on suicide watch.

Let’s hope he has better watchers than Epstein.

Porcile

Mobbing him on stage? Just sounds like typical weaboos, if you ask me.

At the end of the day, Kojima works a stable job, and to his office staff is just a normal guy doing his job. No need to lose respect because a bunch of weebs have no other ways of expressing their useless fandom, except to think getting a picture with a random Japanese man is going to provide satisfaction in their simple celebrity-worshipping lives. Mobbing "famous" people to take selfies is a pretty level 1 life thing to do.

The fact that Kojima still does the day to day work shit probably shows you that he is above all the fan adoration and is genuinely invested in the real side of industry where people are working hard to produce something of artistic merit as a team. I wish people would express their interest in someone's work by using it as the platform to get into game development and learn some real skills to better the industry. But we're talking about video game fans here.

Stimpak

What triggered me today is reading on reddit about how fans flocked to the stage and took selfies with him. I hate hearing about that kind of stuff and I honestly started to realize why there is a strong vocal minority that hate Kojima. Some of the posts here are giving me some perspective.

I don't see why that's a reason to not like the guy. Just because people took selfies with him at a very public event?

nani17

are in a big trouble
After MGS 5 you should have left him but don't worry relationships can be hard. I know deep down in his heart he loves you but you just have to move on and find someone new.

Time to change your avatar, maybe to CliffyB I hear he's also very upset

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Hi, I'm MiyazakiHatesKojima. You may remember me from such threads as "I hugged Hideo Kojima, AMA" and the culturally shifting "My First LTTP: Papers, Please". As you all know, I'm an admirer of Hideo Kojima and have long since been a fan of his works. Over the years, I've been defending Kojima at all costs and never questioned my loyalty to senpai.

However, the day has come when my love for senpai is almost on the edge of falling off the cliff. Hearing about how flock of fans ran up to the stage during today's Gamescom conference and took selfies with Kojima made me realize something: Kojima is an icon. Yes, I know that may sound strange but I realized that Kojima is just like your typical A-List celebrity that possesses both fame and artistic integrity.

This is NOT why I fell in love with Kojima's works over the past years. I've genuinely admired him to be a somewhat of a genius game developer that creates ingenious gameplay and immersive worlds and only that. I never realized how much of a diva icon he's become in the industry and it's putting me off from my admiration of Kojima.

I've prepared a resignation letter already, but I thought I should speak about my feelings on GAF first before making the biggest decision of my life.

GAF, what do you think?

Edit: I know this sounds like a silly thread, but it's not. I've literally started to become disillusioned with Kojima-san. I'm hoping the diverse voices on this forum can speak their thoughts about this and share it with me.

Sort of like I miss the days when gaming wasn't as popular.

All that should matter is whether or not you still enjoy his games. I personally don't follow the social media stuff or watch gaming events live anymore so a lot of what people post here is brand new. You could make a thread about Hideo Kojima having shed his skin to reveal he was a reptilian this whole time but it wouldn't change my opinion about his work being awesome.

Last edited:
Now if that were actually true, that would be a reason to be "disillusioned" with kojima-Sama-sempai or whatever. A fan account to yourself is bonkers.

Not that showing in 90% of videos about your next game the main character exploring a land full of nothing but grass, water and rocks, and Sam's pee with a Mario's FLUDD like mechanic it's less sad
It's ok 'til a certain date, but at the - 2.5 month mark before day one...man, i' m starting to lose hype in his genius, seriously, the man maybe is too overconfident about his capacities
All this imo, and all this obviously minus those state of art trailer, the only good thing so far

Last edited:
D-Do my eyes deceive me? I hope you know that if somebody didn't like you and Kojima they could use this against you if they wanted to lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I've always conceived Hideo Kojima to be more of an artsy fartsy creator. He attempts to create "works of art" but they don't come across as anything significant or genuine in his storytelling. I've never really liked his work, I always thought he was overrated and wasn't even a top tier Japanese developer in comparison to the likes of Yoko Taro or somebody of that caliber. He's a wannabe filmmaker, not a game designer IMO.

But I'm not just "some blind hater" because I can at least praise him for the positives. He's obviously good at what he does (just not the best), he has a knack for game development and the gameplay in his games show that. But it's him next to his rabid fanbase that truly get on my nerves, personally. There's no criticizing the man, every time you offer some tough love to him, his fanbase or even his games, you're attacked and even mocked. You're apparently an utter moron if you dare criticize the "mAsTeRpiEcEs" that he makes.

Enjoy. Hope this offers you closure:

Last edited:
Hideo is an incredibly polarizing guy. he has produced a lot of things that I liked, and some things that I just don't care for. I wasn't a big fan of MSGV, even though the game still has its merits. But I do respect him for not giving into a status quo and doing weird things like Death Stranding.

KOMANI

KOMANI
But it's him next to his rabid fanbase that truly get on my nerves, personally. There's no criticizing the man, every time you offer some tough love to him, his fanbase or even his games, you're attacked and even mocked. You're apparently an utter moron if you dare criticize the "mAsTeRpiEcEs" that he makes.
And that’s been my experience as well. I’ve been accused of bad mouthing DS when I have never spoke on my feelings on the game on any public forum. I’ve been called jealous and a nobody when I offered the perspective that the reason people may dislike him is because sometimes he comes off as pretentious. Most conversation ends with an insult or a “gatcha” attempt.

Barnabot

MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima

JE2Gpqj.jpg

• Stand next to the phone facing the first door, staying completely still.
  • Don’t move until the chiming stops.
  • Once it stops, walk forward exactly 10 paces, then freeze until you hear a baby laugh.
  • Turn around and walk through the hallway until you spot Lisa.
  • The trick here is to stand close enough to see her but not close enough where she can possess you.
  • When she finally disappears, you’ll hear a 2nd baby laugh.
  • Once triggered, stand completely still until you hear a 3rd baby laugh.
  • After triggering the 3rd baby laugh, the phone will begin to ring.
  • Zoom in on the phone with R3 to answer it.
  • Once you hear the door unlock, leave through the hallway door a final time to complete the game.
Now you have restored your faith in Kojima.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Ok guy, please tell me this isn’t real.

Edit: I don’t understand why you would care about someone you don’t know in the first place? I can understand simple things like, “sending prayers” when something bad happens, but this just doesn’t seem realistic. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom