• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm becoming disillusioned with Hideo Kojima.....

DESTROYA

67491871_686897025108134_7149750076909630241_n.jpg

You got disillusioned because of this? Maybe your love of him was not true from the start.
Cmon admit it, you would’ve done the same if you were there too.

Belmonte

Wow, even the greatest of us can have his faith shaken! Isn't there a story about this in the Bible?

Talking seriously now, I don't think it is fair to judge someone or something by its fans. There are many people who goes too far in its passion and became obsessed. Probably Kojima likes to be so respected and loved, perhaps his ego even grew more than it should, but I don't think it affected his games and his work ethic negatively. What I see is the opposite. He seems to try his hardest to match the expectatives of his fans and feels bad when he can't.

I love his works and his public persona is cool. It is one of the few devs who would make me nervous if I met in real life since I'm a huge fan.

That said, everything which is too loved is overhyped. Beatles, Ocarina of Time, bread...

Hi, I'm MiyazakiHatesKojima. You may remember me from such threads as "I hugged Hideo Kojima, AMA" and the culturally shifting "My First LTTP: Papers, Please". As you all know, I'm an admirer of Hideo Kojima and have long since been a fan of his works. Over the years, I've been defending Kojima at all costs and never questioned my loyalty to senpai.

However, the day has come when my love for senpai is almost on the edge of falling off the cliff. Hearing about how flock of fans ran up to the stage during today's Gamescom conference and took selfies with Kojima made me realize something: Kojima is an icon. Yes, I know that may sound strange but I realized that Kojima is just like your typical A-List celebrity that possesses both fame and artistic integrity.

This is NOT why I fell in love with Kojima's works over the past years. I've genuinely admired him to be a somewhat of a genius game developer that creates ingenious gameplay and immersive worlds and only that. I never realized how much of a diva icon he's become in the industry and it's putting me off from my admiration of Kojima.

I've prepared a resignation letter already, but I thought I should speak about my feelings on GAF first before making the biggest decision of my life.

GAF, what do you think?

Edit: I know this sounds like a silly thread, but it's not. I've literally started to become disillusioned with Kojima-san. I'm hoping the diverse voices on this forum can speak their thoughts about this and share it with me.

Bruh....... Death Stranding looks boring, and Kojima is overrated

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Metal Gear Solid was a great game, he has my respect.

Sad to see he got drunk on his own bath water after that.

D3SCHA1N

Imagine I'm in the minority considering some of the posts in here but I think he's one of the most over-rated dudes in the industry. His games are well made and all that but there are plenty of game directors who make better games that don't get half the praise...

Dthomp

What triggered me today is reading on reddit about how fans flocked to the stage and took selfies with him. I hate hearing about that kind of stuff and I honestly started to realize why there is a strong vocal minority that hate Kojima. Some of the posts here are giving me some perspective.

Hate might be too strong a word for me. I am a fan much more of his older work, but have (more since the ps3 era) felt him to enjoy the praise in an almost unhealthy level. Dorito King doesn't help matters being at his feet awaiting to kiss the ground Kojima walks on every award show. He seems (maybe I read this wrong) like the kind of developer that likes the fame it brings him more then the joy of making the games for gamers to enjoy, since lets not all pretend he wouldn't rather have been a movie maker then a game one. I like my icons to be like Shigeki Morimoto, you see nothing but the love he has for his projects and the joy it brings fans, and maybe he has an ego too, but it doesn't seem that way to me. What am I talking about? I forget....

Eliciel

I am positive that He will deliver his vision. Nothing more nothing less. It is a different question whether or not you do or do not Like it.

Hideo Always made hate it or love it Games. I hated MGS V. I loved MGS I-IV...

I am all about the Hideo Mixture of cutscene and gameplay

For me a good Hideo Game ist 60-70% cutscene and 40-30% gameplay.

PS: LOVE YOU TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
However, the day has come when my love for senpai is almost on the edge of falling off the cliff. Hearing about how flock of fans ran up to the stage during today's Gamescom conference and took selfies with Kojima made me realize something: Kojima is an icon. Yes, I know that may sound strange but I realized that Kojima is just like your typical A-List celebrity that possesses both fame and artistic integrity.
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the reason why you are now disappointed with Kojima and are starting to realize he's not as good as you thought is due to the fans who ran up to him and took selfies? Is it because he reached Icon status? I don't really understand...

Virex

Banned
Hi, I'm MiyazakiHatesKojima. You may remember me from such threads as "I hugged Hideo Kojima, AMA" and the culturally shifting "My First LTTP: Papers, Please". As you all know, I'm an admirer of Hideo Kojima and have long since been a fan of his works. Over the years, I've been defending Kojima at all costs and never questioned my loyalty to senpai.

This is NOT why I fell in love with Kojima's works over the past years. I've genuinely admired him to be a somewhat of a genius game developer that creates ingenious gameplay and immersive worlds and only that. I never realized how much of a diva icon he's become in the industry and it's putting me off from my admiration of Kojima.

I've prepared a resignation letter already, but I thought I should speak about my feelings on GAF first before making the biggest decision of my life.

GAF, what do you think?

Edit: I know this sounds like a silly thread, but it's not. I've literally started to become disillusioned with Kojima-san. I'm hoping the diverse voices on this forum can speak their thoughts about this and share it with me.
Heresy!

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

GAF, what do you think?

The two sets of qualities are not mutually exclusive...

Roni

Gold Member

GAF, what do you think?

Someone's jealous Geoff got to be in sensei's game.

He did start with computer games first
Anyway googled him and saw he made the metal gear games. I actually bought the last one on steam and thought it was mediocre, clunky controls and mechanics and got really bored after a few hours. Why is this guy supposedly popular?

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Anyway googled him and saw he made the metal gear games. I actually bought the last one on steam and thought it was mediocre, clunky controls and mechanics and got really bored after a few hours. Why is this guy supposedly popular?

Metal Gear was popular first thanks to the NES games, though MSX computer version was released first. Snatcher and Policenauts were also known though much less compared to Metal Gear. His name was not used to promote games either.
As a result Kojima was unknown outside Japan

All the craze started with Metal Gear on the PS1. I hadnt a PS1 back then so did not get a chance to play the game. Other Konami games like Silent Hill did not use the producers name to that extent. Not even Resident Evil.

It was not due to fans but mainly because of Kojima's self-promotion. Other developers did this too, eg Sid Meier, American McGee, Roberta Williams etc Eg the term Igavania was coined mostly by fans and journalists.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I don't know if he is a genius, but he is smart in the way he communicated about Death Stranding, revealing tiny bits that don't make sense simply because they are not in order and out of context. This definitively had people talking about the game.

Thabass

I honestly agree with everything that you said. It's funny how yesterday I was thinking of how much the industry is changing for better or worse. I just got triggered by the fandom of Kojima that I never realized until today, oddly enough. I really hope he doesn't let fame get to him and I may take a break from fanboying Kojima and readjust my perspective of him over the next few months.

Thank you for taking my thread seriously.

I think it's hard for anyone know to let this level fame go to their head. I think that's the reason why Kojima chose Sutherland over Hayter for MGSV (other than the fact that he seems to hate Hayter for reasons). I'm not saying Kojima is at fault. It happens to everyone who becomes popular. You let it get to you and then you are not the same person you once thought you were. You become complacent in the fact that people adore you.

With that said, Kojima always appears humble and I think he is for the most part. But certain decisions he's made in the past can suggest otherwise. I remember Kojima remarking MGSV will never be as good as GTAV, which had recently come out (Phantom Pain came out a year later). I think it's okay for you to be in adoration to him, but maybe dial it back. He's just another dude who is extremely creative. He's not a messiah or a god. He's a dude doing what he loves.

yall think kojimbo got a low key big hog?

I think we have a Conrad Thompson fan in the house

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I think it's hard for anyone know to let this level fame go to their head. I think that's the reason why Kojima chose Sutherland over Hayter for MGSV (other than the fact that he seems to hate Hayter for reasons). I'm not saying Kojima is at fault. It happens to everyone who becomes popular. You let it get to you and then you are not the same person you once thought you were. You become complacent in the fact that people adore you.

With that said, Kojima always appears humble and I think he is for the most part. But certain decisions he's made in the past can suggest otherwise. I remember Kojima remarking MGSV will never be as good as GTAV, which had recently come out (Phantom Pain came out a year later). I think it's okay for you to be in adoration to him, but maybe dial it back. He's just another dude who is extremely creative. He's not a messiah or a god. He's a dude doing what he loves.

I think we have a Conrad Thompson fan in the house
But how big is Batista’s dick though?

To become disillusioned with The Master is like becoming disillusioned with the universe itself, to become disillusioned by the molecules you breathe in, the beads of sweet perspiration that accompanies the release of any new Kojima game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
look forward to the game myself. my advice is to ignore online discussion entirely. if it isn't straight up toxic trashing the man and his strawman fans, it is ironic strawmanning itself. it makes any genuine discussion impossible. truth is, his game sell a lot, and they reach a lot of people, and anytime you have that kind of mass success, the haters come out, and you inevitably sell the game to people who have chips on their shoulders.

Kojima doesn't seem to let it get to him, he has lived with death threats for over 2 decades now, he just ignores it and keeps doing what he's doing. for that i have utmost respect for him. do i worship him as a golden god? i dunno man, i like his games. whatever you want to fantasize, go for it.

TL;DR play the game yourself and make up your own mind.

Last edited:

Neff

If you feel like toning down your reverence for Kojima because you've discovered that others are taking theirs a little too far in your opinion, or because they're 'stealing' him from your 'niche' hobby, then that's your choice to make, bizarre as it may be.

In defense of the cult (I'm not a subscriber btw, I admire the guy, I don't worship him by any means), it's worth acknowledging that Kojima has never made a bad game in a 30+ year career. They're all good. That's insanely impressive. It's no wonder he's adored as he is.

If there's any aspect to the way he's regarded by his fans which rubs me the wrong way, it's that he's mostly celebrated for Metal Gear Solid. Not his other works. Not even old Metal Gear. Just Metal Gear Solid. Even MGSV was criticised for not being MGS-like enough. On a similar note, he's always unfairly, fawningly represented as a storyteller above all else, which doesn't do justice to his excellent understanding of game design, and what makes a good game in general.

I'm really looking forward to Death Stranding.

Roni

Gold Member
If you feel like toning down your reverence for Kojima because you've discovered that others are taking theirs a little too far in your opinion, or because they're 'stealing' him from your 'niche' hobby, then that's your choice to make, bizarre as it may be.

In defense of the cult (I'm not a subscriber btw, I admire the guy, I don't worship him by any means), it's worth acknowledging that Kojima has never made a bad game in a 30+ year career. They're all good. That's insanely impressive. It's no wonder he's adored as he is.

If there's any aspect to the way he's regarded by his fans which rubs me the wrong way, it's that he's mostly celebrated for Metal Gear Solid. Not his other works. Not even old Metal Gear. Just Metal Gear Solid. Even MGSV was criticised for not being MGS-like enough. On a similar note, he's always unfairly, fawningly represented as a storyteller above all else, which doesn't do justice to his excellent understanding of game design, and what makes a good game in general.

I'm really looking forward to Death Stranding.

Level-headed insights like these have become increasingly hard to come by. Congrats!

pimentel1

Banned

GAF, what do you think?

Kojima loves you.

flacopol

GAF, what do you think?

You put kojima in a podium , now you are taking him down

Is ok , is part of the life, IMHO , try to love the ideas and products from people , not the person itself, because we are human and make mistakes , say things that we could regret in the future.

Love each game from kojima that you like , but, if one is not good , say it too.

be fanatic is the extreme of something good , yo could share your knowing about kojima , recommend a game to a friend , but a fanatic "you must play every game from kojima" ahhhh that´s a no for me.

I´m a kind of GGG (path of exile) fanboy , but when they went with tencent and didn´t low the mtx prices , thumbs down for that , but I still love the game , one of the true F2P games.

My point here is, try to learn what this situation teach us =)

Enjoy, the game maybe is good, and now you lower the expectation, maybe is even better , but for this kind of things I want a DEMO , and no exclusivity crap.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I hadn't played mgsv but my friend had played it and after what he told me I was left speechless:

he thought he was playing as Snake the whole time, when towards the end, MC looks at a mirror and hears a voice "you thought you were snake?you are not snake, we made you believe it" or something along those lines.

After that he never touched the game again. At least he finished it, unlike mgs4 were he dropped it poop scene after poop scene.

Last edited:
Top Bottom