I'm gonna argue that while not perfect the state of our nation's police force right now is the best it has ever been

Aug 21, 2018
The majority of the more potent crimes come from gang members, and idiots on drugs. It's not a ton of people, but they fuck shit up.

In a given poor neighborhood still the big majority of people aren't doing any kind of crime.

But the cops treat them as well as the same people they're after. The progress to correct that has been slow, but has accelerated a bit as we start to understand that more policing doesn't mean more results.

Btw Chicago has many kinds of grassroots programs aimed at stopping kids from joining gangs and things if that nature. But there needs to be a larger mobilization where as Chicago currently offers scraps.
It is not working... ever since Kim Foxx have been the one who decide who to arrest and who to let go. WHY should the criminal be afraid of the law when the damn attoneygeneral keep letting them go.

Jan 12, 2009
It is not working... ever since Kim Foxx have been the one who decide who to arrest and who to let go. WHY should the criminal be afraid of the law when the damn attoneygeneral keep letting them go.
Everything is working right now. After 2013 there was a surge but it's returning to those levels with significant year over year decreases.

What Chicago does need to fight crime better is up it's solved homicides from 1 in 6, and improve corruption, but they're working on the former through technology and increasing community relations. But regardless of more/less and better policing there is still a seemingly permanent issue.

Crime is concentrated in a small number of poor neighborhoods. Those areas owe their plight largely to the web of poverty and neglect. This is a policy issue by governments, and not by accident. But the intelligencia of today are too rich to care.

appaws

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Taylorsville, Ky!
To be fair, Ricobene is probably one of the safest spot in the city give the police traffic in there. I do all my offerup and facebook sale there.
That's true, it is an extremely busy area. God bless that breaded steak sandwich...! And it is walking distance to Reggie's Rock Club, the perfect place to eat before going for a night of sweet, sweet punk rock.

Aug 21, 2018
Everything is working right now. After 2013 there was a surge but it's returning to those levels with significant year over year decreases.

What Chicago does need to fight crime better is up it's solved homicides from 1 in 6, and improve corruption, but they're working on the former through technology and increasing community relations. But regardless of more/less and better policing there is still a seemingly permanent issue.

Crime is concentrated in a small number of poor neighborhoods. Those areas owe their plight largely to the web of poverty and neglect. This is a policy issue by governments, and not by accident. But the intelligencia of today are too rich to care.
We won't be here arguing if the crime is being kept at the guetto but it is not. Everyone know the crime expended to other part of the city, where the money is ala the Canadian Goose incidents. Crime wave by Bridgeport and Chinatown skyrocket in recent years

Feb 21, 2018

What's your take on the fact that 70%+ of black children are from single parent families? And according to Obama

"that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. "

I think the notion of a nuclear family and present father figures is something that could very well help the black community.

I have heard a saying going around lately, 3 ways to avoid being poor.
1-finish high school
2-Don't have a baby before 21
3-Don't have a baby out of wed lock.

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Who can blame the police. Majority of the crime in the city are committed by you know who if you follow CWB. Does it sound racist, yes but it is also the truth. Remember whenever you saw gang shooting hitting bystander?? They never go protest at the hoods who the violent is. Chicago as a whole have gotten a whole lot more dangerous the past few years. Back in the days you can walk around pass midnight without much danger in my neigherhood.

But people DO protest gang violence. Black folks have been doing it for YEARS! It just isn't what sells news.

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
What's your take on the fact that 70%+ of black children are from single parent families? And according to Obama

"that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. "

I think the notion of a nuclear family and present father figures is something that could very well help the black community.

1-finish high school
I'm ONLY addressing the single father part...

More black men are in their children's lives than not. Their mothers are single but their fathers are present in their lives, unless the mother moves out of state or something. And there's been an uptick in black fathers filing for and getting custody of their child(ren).

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
I'm ONLY addressing the single father part...

More black men are in their children's lives than not. Their mothers are single but their fathers are present in their lives, unless the mother moves out of state or something. And there's been an uptick in black fathers filing for and getting custody of their child(ren).
Regardless of your take, all of the statistics cryptoadam quoted are true and based on single motherhood. It is the single biggest predictor of "success" in life, and black children end up in families with a single parent at a significantly higher rate than any other ethnicity. Whether the fathers make an attempt to stay involved in their kid's life or not, it doesn't change what the data tells us. Children (of all ethnicities) do better in life when the parents are both involved full time.

Jan 12, 2009

1-finish high school
Aye? How is this relevant to what I'm talking about? There are about 30 million children in the U.S. born to single parent homes. Yay.

Single parent homes don't cause poverty, it poses further statistical disadvantages. However the quality of the parent (s) and their economic status is what actually matters. Poverty breeds poverty.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018
Regardless of your take, all of the statistics cryptoadam quoted are true and based on single motherhood. It is the single biggest predictor of "success" in life, and black children end up in families with a single parent at a significantly higher rate than any other ethnicity. Whether the fathers make an attempt to stay involved in their kid's life or not, it doesn't change what the data tells us. Children (of all ethnicities) do better in life when the parents are both involved full time.
agree, and its not only blacks. I heard Larry Elder mention that 25% of whites are in single parent households, which was at 5% in the 60's. Blacks were apparently at 25% back then.

If fatherless children are more likely to be in jail, be in poverty, and drop out, these numbers should be very alarming across all races.

Feb 21, 2018
Aye? How is this relevant to what I'm talking about? There are about 30 million children in the U.S. born to single parent homes. Yay.

Single parent homes don't cause poverty, it poses further statistical disadvantages. However the quality of the parent (s) and their economic status is what actually matters. Poverty breeds poverty.
Well thats not what Obama said.

Fatherless children are 5 times more likely to be poor and 20 times more likely to wind up in prison. So statistics show that yes it does cause poverty. And of course if you are in a single parent household, household income will be lower thus a greater chance of being in poverty. Which in turn keeps the cycle going. Poverty leads to crime and violence.

According to Larry Elder single parent households for blacks went from 25% to 70+% from the 60's to today and you don't think that would have anything to do with poverty and crime rates? I think the absence of father figures plays a big role.

Jan 12, 2009
Well thats not what Obama said.

Fatherless children are 5 times more likely to be poor and 20 times more likely to wind up in prison. So statistics show that yes it does cause poverty. And of course if you are in a single parent household, household income will be lower thus a greater chance of being in poverty. Which in turn keeps the cycle going. Poverty leads to crime and violence.

According to Larry Elder single parent households for blacks went from 25% to 70+% from the 60's to today and you don't think that would have anything to do with poverty and crime rates? I think the absence of father figures plays a big role.

The socioeconomic status that your kids grow up in very well contributes their end status. This applies to all types of households.

No one denies the possible benefits of two parents over one, but irregardless you need not grow up in poverty. If you do, you're more likely to stay there.

These things matter the most:
Education
Income
Environment

Not household size.

For single parents this is what matters:
Education
Income (alimony can play a big factor)
Environment

The point is that single parents aren't the fault for "black communities" problems. Other things are just as important.

But ideally there are no single mothers. But people get divorced and things happen.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018
The socioeconomic status that your kids grow up in very well contributes their end status. This applies to all types of households.

No one denies the possible benefits of two parents over one, but that's not what keeps people in and out of poverty, compared to actually growing up in poverty.

These things matter the most:
Education
Income
Environment

Not household size.
Well thats where we are at in impase because I tend to think that coming from a stable two parent household gives a child a leg up. Its not a guarantee of anything and plenty of people rise up from single parent households but I don't think we should ignore the difficulties it places on children.

Education, Income, Enviroment are all effected by a single parent household. A single parent will generally have less income then 2 parents (since only one parent works). A single parent will have less time to pay attention to their childs education and school work. And a single parent environment, especially a fatherless one leads to negative examples for many children to follow. You have no father the streets become your father.

It starts in the home, even Denzel said it. I can't dismiss the large number of single parent households in the black community and pretend its not having an effect on black children. I know I would rather have a group of children that aren't 20 times more likely to go to prison or 9 times more likely to drop out of school.

And just to be clear this issue is not only in the black community. White children now have gone from 5% to 25%, these numbers are alarming. IMO no one benefits from a non nuclear family, especially not the children.

Jan 12, 2009
Well thats where we are at in impase because I tend to think that coming from a stable two parent household gives a child a leg up. Its not a guarantee of anything and plenty of people rise up from single parent households but I don't think we should ignore the difficulties it places on children.

Education, Income, Enviroment are all effected by a single parent household. A single parent will generally have less income then 2 parents (since only one parent works). A single parent will have less time to pay attention to their childs education and school work. And a single parent environment, especially a fatherless one leads to negative examples for many children to follow. You have no father the streets become your father.

It starts in the home, even Denzel said it. I can't dismiss the large number of single parent households in the black community and pretend its not having an effect on black children. I know I would rather have a group of children that aren't 20 times more likely to go to prison or 9 times more likely to drop out of school.

And just to be clear this issue is not only in the black community. White children now have gone from 5% to 25%, these numbers are alarming. IMO no one benefits from a non nuclear family, especially not the children.
Comparing Apples to apples.

An educated good quality suburbanite middle class family vs the same s single parent family (gets alimony) will likely produce at least middle-class children.

Take the opposite, and it holds true .

I think we may over estimate or make sweeping generalizations about the drawbacks of being raised by a single parent without a father. This is not to say that we should ignore the drawbacks of children being raised by single parents, especially and particularly one without support.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018
i feel like yes, if you were to be someone in poverty, or not a white man, and go back to any point in history previous to now, the justice system would be exponentially worse for you. also you cannot really separate the police from the state that it serves, and with it, the laws that it upholds. clearly we have a long way to go but the past is horrific.

transparency is key. we have more transparency now than ever, we can duplicate and distribute evidence instantly, to everyone on the planet. this was not possible in the 1920s. or in the 1850s. or in 1381. we do not use executions nearly as much as we used to. life was bloody. 300 years ago, if someone overheard you drunkenly saying you were going to do harm to the king in a tavern, they could report you, and you would be convicted on that alone, and with no recourse, you would be beheaded, drawn and quartered, and your body parts displayed on London Bridge as a warning to others. this is what it was like before they started America.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Cops are very dangerous and intimidating towards everyone in the hood. There's a reason why relations get to where they have been. Cops wanna do their jobs, have seen a lot of bad shit, and over compensate for it. Bad cops get shielded.

As for the hoods dangers it's poverty because drugs and guns rise to the top and create the survival of the fittest mentality.

Very true. I grew up in the hood and moved out the first chance I got. I can honestly say that I was more afraid of the cops than the drug dealers. I've never had a bad encounter with the police. I kept my head in the books and had some kind of honest type job since I was 11.

I had encounters with gangs and getting robbed or jumped here and there, but most of the time I was big enough to be left alone. The scariest day I can remember was when someone accused me of a crime I wasn't even in the city to commit. The idea that the police were looking for me scared me more than the time I heard a few members of the crips were looking for me. In my neighborhood more people survived and recovered from the latter. Thankfully my mother took care of the police situation.