• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm in a full day of mandatory diversity training

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
They opened by stating this is a safe space about 20 times. Once that was done they played a video that mostly consisted of negative Trump headlines flashing by and pictures of police arresting people during riots. We then went over the tragedy of George Floyd and the book White Fragility. We broke into smaller groups to discuss George Floyd and Jacob Blake further.

Social media has come up a few time. People seem to agree you shouldn't unfriend people you disagree with because then you can't win them over to the "right side". Most people are opening their statements with "as a white person I....". Someone said you shouldn't just read the news and get mad when you can donate to bailout funds to "help".

I've noticed it's the same dozen or so people speaking over and over and the other 250 people in the meeting are probably just rolling their eyes. So far this meeting has met all the weird stereotypes I expected. I don't know why this propaganda is being taught at a corporate job.

The only interesting thing was the guy who said he didn't believe there is systemic racism which set off a few people 🤣

tommycronin

Feb 4, 2017
Cork,Ireland
Also, why are ye talking about the case of George Floyd? The case in court hasn't moved at all recently to my memory anyway. All people know is what they saw on them 2 tapes. Things are still uncertain. Until the case is closed and they're charged or not it shouldn't be discussed at the work place.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Arkam

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
i had to do this too. mine was an hour or so.

mine was a program, i had to answer a bunch of questions.

it was pretty easy to just not pay attention and answer the question, because you know exactly how these people think, what they expect to hear, etc. it's all so predictable.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
That's bullshit. They're trying to say your workplace has no room for discussion regarding these issues.
They say multiple times it is a safe space and nothing is recorded. Then they present everything completely one sided and the guy running this is obviously of the super ultra woke type. I think everyone knows the "safe space" here is just bait.

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
I think I would walk out.

The shit has nothing to do with your job or how to perform your job. It is not in anyway related.

So your wasting your time and it's bullshit.

If they try to say anything tell them that you didn't feel the safe space was inclusive enough.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Gold Member
Jun 14, 2019
They say multiple times it is a safe space and nothing is recorded. Then they present everything completely one sided and the guy running this is obviously of the super ultra woke type. I think everyone knows the "safe space" here is just bait.
So they're trying to play gotcha on people to cut out the toxic alt right people? What the hell?

Can't you complain to upper managment about this?

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
They opened by stating this is a safe space about 20 times. Once that was done they played a video that mostly consisted of negative Trump headlines flashing by and pictures of police arresting people during riots. We then went over the tragedy of George Floyd and the book White Fragility. We broke into smaller groups to discuss George Floyd and Jacob Blake further.

Social media has come up a few time. People seem to agree you shouldn't unfriend people you disagree with because then you can't win them over to the "right side". Most people are opening their statements with "as a white person I....". Someone said you shouldn't just read the news and get mad when you can donate to bailout funds to "help".

I've noticed it's the same dozen or so people speaking over and over and the other 250 people in the meeting are probably just rolling their eyes. So far this meeting has met all the weird stereotypes I expected. I don't know why this propaganda is being taught at a corporate job.

The only interesting thing was the guy who said he didn't believe there is systemic racism which set off a few people 🤣
You do not sound like you are enjoying your re-education, Comrade. Perhaps we take you to a back room to discuss? Maybe we look at some pictures of your children together, yes? We can be friends, Comrade, but you must first show us you want to be friends.

Ivory Blood

Sep 9, 2018
Some fights aren't worth fighting. Easier to just stay dialed in for the meeting and forget about it after.
If you fear for your job - fair, but I think you'll do yourself more harm in the long run with this attitude, this is one of those fights really worth fighting. You know how the saying goes - "First they came for...", if you don't fight this shit at the "relatively harmless" level, it will just feed the monster and it will grow to the point where you won't be able to handle it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
If you fear for your job - fair, but I think you'll do yourself more harm in the long run with this attitude, this is one of those fights really worth fighting. You know how the saying goes - "First they came for...", if you don't fight this shit at the "relatively harmless" level, it will just feed the monster and it will grow to the point where you won't be able to handle it.
I work by myself and rarely have to talk to anyone. If I was in a physical office surrounded by these people I might care more.

Reactions: mcz117chief

StonedRider

Jan 9, 2015
Riga, Latvia
It reminds me of mandatory political information hours in USSR among children in schools or workers in factories. Capitalism is bad, we are surrounded by enemies, we must work hard for communist future and help our comrades in other countries.

I've got lifetime "vaccine" against this bullshit in late 80s. Also that's the reason I despise all kinds of team building activities in the office, unfortunately, but it is another story.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Boss Blue Balls
Feb 3, 2018
USA
Had to do that shit for this new school year. Literally 2 hours of an angry black woman telling all the white people how we don’t know shit and it’s not black peoples job to educate white people. Etc etc. I had to put her on mute so I could game in peace. Fucking woke Zoom meetings.

Piku_Ringo

Jan 24, 2015

Let me stop you right there and show you how you could of resolved this BS quite easily from the outset.

• LOL
Reactions: hariseldon

hyperbertha

Nov 24, 2018
What's the vibe you're getting from management? Are they all in on this or do they look like hostages?

Reactions: Umbral

Neil Young

Mar 26, 2020
Had to do that shit for this new school year. Literally 2 hours of an angry black woman telling all the white people how we don’t know shit and it’s not black peoples job to educate white people. Etc etc. I had to put her on mute so I could game in peace. Fucking woke Zoom meetings.
Acquaintance is a high school counselor. They were all given a copy of White Fragility. I thought she was joking until she showed up and gave it to me lol.

• Triggered
Reactions: hariseldon

TrainedRage

Boss Blue Balls
Feb 3, 2018
USA
Acquaintance is a high school counselor. They were all given a copy of White Fragility. I thought she was joking until she showed up and gave it to me lol.
Yeah, that was on our “reading list”. They can’t pay me enough to read that shit. Honestly this distance learning feels like a blatant push to rewrite the curriculum specifically for a small % of black students.

Literally no talk of our super high Asian population or Hispanic population of the school. Nope. Just black people matter. No other minority group, they have the monopoly. And consequently the loudest voices. 😕

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
I know it's easy to say this in an armchair and I don't blame anyone who can't risk their job status, but I could in no way go through one of these without speaking out if a specific thing was brought up. Specifically the book White Fragility, I would have absolutely tore it to shit.

Umbral

May 7, 2020
My workplace actively speaks against Trump at meetings and employees feel comfortable openly disparaging Republicans and generally anyone that disagrees.

The training (read: reeducation) has been minimal so far and nothing that has involved forced participation. You can click through the training and click complete, ignoring everything in it. It’s only a matter of time though.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
What's the vibe you're getting from management? Are they all in on this or do they look like hostages?
One of the managers there was talking a lot and seems to have drank the kool aid. Never would have thought him to be that type. The only other leadership person I recognized didn't speak the whole time.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Did they segregate you guys? Make only the white people show up?

Confuse em all and say "Im Jewish". It will confuse them, wait he is a minority, but he is white HEAD EXPLODING.

Tell them your grandmother told you she sat through a similar training before she was shipped off to Auschwitz.

Umbral

May 7, 2020
It’s broken down the lines of sex in my workplace. Most of the men undestand it’s bullshit, though not all, but the women are fully bought in and preaching it at every opportunity.

down 2 orth

Oct 27, 2013
I hate sitting through indoctrination sessions like anyone else, but anyone thinking of sacrificing their job for the sake of ideology is probably in the wrong job to begin with.