• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm looking for critically acclaimed foreign movies, such as 2001 Lagaan

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Lagaan

Lagaan.jpg

What movies can you recommend?

God Enel

Foreign movies i always think about the korean revenge trilogy (i.e. Oldboy, mr vengeance and lady vengeance). I saw the devil. Bittersweet life. The wailing is great as is momories of murder. The raid 1 and 2. But that are the obvious ones you probably already know.

And i would recommend seeing the french movie the intouchables.

Hissing Sid

If you’re up for a bit of Samurai stuff without daft, over-the-top sword fighting then I’d highly recommend ‘When The Last Sword Is Drawn’ and ‘The Twilight Samurai’.

‘The Twilight Samurai’ is my favourite of the two because I’m a sucker for a good love story, but they are both fabulous films.

I love love love attempts at accurate depictions of feudal Japan.

Graven

There was an Asian cinema topic here, i got know so many good movies there, however, i didn't stop to check critics(Man from nowhere, Drug War, Inside Job, New World, Vengeance Trilogy etc). I will recommend one though:

188497-wild-tales-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

It's an anthologies movie, so, it's not one big story, however, i was hooked to each one of them. Dark humor to the max.

ilfait

I strongly recommend Solyaris (Russian sci-fi/romance), Sonatine (Japanese crime/romance), Fallen Angels (rebellious crime romance from Hong Kong), and Chungking Express (crime romance from Hong Kong).

I must be into romance.

Another one I would recommend. Dead mans shoes from the U.K.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/?ref=m_nv_sr_2
Dead Man's shoes is amazing, and nobody I ever talk to has seen it.

Foreign movies i always think about the korean revenge trilogy (i.e. Oldboy, mr vengeance and lady vengeance). I saw the devil. Bittersweet life. The wailing is great as is momories of murder. The raid 1 and 2. But that are the obvious ones you probably already know.

And i would recommend seeing the french movie the intouchables.
You have good taste.

Last edited:

Mahadev

I remember liking very very much Love Me If You Dare (2003). It's definitely not your typical romcom, the movie is simply beautiful.

God Enel

I strongly recommend Solyaris (Russian sci-fi/romance), Sonatine (Japanese crime/romance), Fallen Angels (rebellious crime romance from Hong Kong), and Chungking Express (crime romance from Hong Kong).

I must be into romance.

Dead Man's shoes is amazing, and nobody I ever talk to has seen it.

You have good taste.

Well as I said the korean flicks are the obvious ones that everyone has already seen.. so it was kind of a nobrainer.

Dead Mans Shoes dunno somehow came to my mind, haven't seen it in years. It's an amazing movie no one ever saw. Totally flew by under the radar.

So.. Some more recommendations (though I dont know if they are critically acclaimed)
a german movie: Das Experiment (imho the only recommendable german movie)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250258/?ref_=nv_sr_1

No Man's Land from bosnia/croatia/serbia (saw it once years ago): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283509/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Otherwise some quite weird films.. they give a really bleak perspective on life (OP you have been warned, watch them when you're in the mood for it):

I stand alone by Gaspar Noe: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157016/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Irreversible also by Gaspar Noe : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290673/?ref_=nm_knf_t1

ilfait

Hero was just alright to me, but I loved crouching tiger.

The Castle's a good Australian comedy.

And I saw it a long time ago, but I remember Tsotsi being a pretty good African drama.

Last edited:

Fbh

Argentina has a lot of great movies:
Wild Tales, The secret in her eyes
, nine queens , Chinese takeaway.

Korea also has a lot of good ones like Old Boy or the Wailing .

The raid 1 and 2 from Indonesia are IMO some of the best action movies out there. They put most of the CGI heavy western action movies to shame.
The first one is pure action while the second one plays more like a crime drama (with amazing action)

DiscoJer

I dunno about critically acclaimed, but The Mission and SPL: Kill Zone are two really good crime movies from Hong Kong. Supposedly The Mission was going to have a Hollywood remake like Infernal Affairs

Corrik

Hero was just alright to me, but I loved crouching tiger.

The Castle's a good Australian comedy.

And I saw it a long time ago, but I remember Tsotsi being a pretty good African drama.
Why was it just alright? It had good action. It had a great plot / message. And the imagery was out of this world amazing.

OH-MyCar

Some of my personal favorites are:
Anything by Wong Kar Wai (except My Blueberry Nights, and to a lesser extent 2046)
Belle De Jour
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Juliet of the Spirits & Nights of Cabiria
Kwaidan
Redbeard
Sonatine

In terms of epics, I've always felt like John Woo's Red Cliff is very underrated.

kunonabi

I did a top 50 list for 2017 so im just going to list some movies from that.

Okja
A Taxi Driver
Midnight Runners
In This Corner of the World
Memoir of a Murderer
Our Time Will Come
A Silent Voice
New Trial
The Mayor
Bluebeard

Those would be the big ones with with A Taxi Driver and Okja being in my top three.

Fatal Countdown: Reset
The Villainess
I Don't Know What I Expected
Mary and the Witch's Flower

These aren't as acclaimed but are pretty damn entertaining in their own right.

OH-MyCar

Never heard of it. Black and Whitebeard was a reference to one piece

What'S the trilogy about?

Oh since we were talking about foreign films, it was also dorky reference to these from the early 90's:

trilogia-tres-colores.jpg

I've not seen them in so long that the only thing I remember is thinking that "Blue" was the best one.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
There are so many but a few of the most memorable for me;
Zatoichi
Fighter in the wind (Korean)
Old Boy (if you haven't seen it)
Hard boiled
Crouching Tiger...
Ip Man
As mentioned above Tropa D'Elite is a great Brazilian film and there is one about a prison riot where the army killed everyone that's also meant to be good.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Mongol (2007), a Russian-made movie about Ghengis Kahn, is a great film and beautifully shot. It got pretty good reviews and was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, but unfortunately the rest didn’t get made as the movie was a modest financial success. I recommend giving it a watch.

Mongol_poster.jpg

One thing I hate about Jackie Chan. He's barely ever serious. Every fight scene ends up a joke. But this film was intense. It really tests one's emotions. By the end of it, you'll surely be in tears if you've invested yourself in such a heart breaking story. And unlike Jackie Chan, no martial arts. Some fighting, but not in an action context.

173fb18b857fce077afe2e133dd09cf5--film-i-am-jackie-chan.jpg

You have to watch this movie.

Catphish

One of my all time favorites is Kikujiro.

Beat Takeshi plays a grumpy old dude tasked with accompanying the neighbor's grandson on a trip across Japan to find his mom over his summer vacation.

It's equal parts funny, touching, and fucking bonkers. :D

Love it to pieces. 👍

ilfait

Why was it just alright? It had good action. It had a great plot / message. And the imagery was out of this world amazing.
I was banned for two weeks, so late (and probably underwhelming) reply.

I rewatched Crouching Tiger just a few years ago, and it's been a long time since I've seen Hero; but Crouching Tiger is beautiful, delicate, quiet, tasteful, restrained, dreamy. Hero is overt, aesthetically heavy handed, obvious, and it kind of bored me. Hero's probably a good action movie in the grand scheme of things, but releasing a year or two after Crouching Tiger didn't do it any favours.

ilfait

Nobody Knows; Japanese heartwarming drama from 2004.

Turks Fruit; Dutch misanthropic love story from 1973, directed by the guy who made Starship Troopers and Robocop.

Fucking Amal; Swedish romance from 1998 that you can feel in your bones.

ilfait

Some of my personal favorites are:
Anything by Wong Kar Wai (except My Blueberry Nights, and to a lesser extent 2046)
Belle De Jour
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Juliet of the Spirits & Nights of Cabiria
Kwaidan
Redbeard
Sonatine

In terms of epics, I've always felt like John Woo's Red Cliff is very underrated.
Yes, listen to this distraught hoodlum. I especially vouch for the Wong Kar Wai and Sonatine suggestions.

Ka-Kui

I'll name a few:

Talvar - It's an indian mystery crime drama, very well made and is very well acted, based on a true story.

War of the Arrows - A Korean period movie about a brother who's a very skilled archer and his friend/brother-in-law trying to save his sister from the invading chinese force who have kidnapped her. Very touching movie.

Ping Pong - A japanese high school sports movie based around ping pong of course. A kind of slice of life of comedy about a talented ping pong player who lost his way. It's got heavy analogies to street fighter on top.

Trollhunter - Norwegian fantasy movie. Hard to explain this. Found footage style documentary where the guys are trying to to find trolls and try to speak with trollhunters. My description doesn't do this justice but trust me it's really interesting.

Gryndel

Neo Member
I highly recommend you Suburra, it was a great success here in Italy and it should be available even on Netflix
diffuso-il-primo-trailer-della-seconda-stagione-di-suburra-la-serie.jpg

Top Bottom