• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox 1.5"-Phil Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they'll just wait to see Sony's specs for PS4K(if it exists), and then one up them and be first to the next console generation with Xbox One 2.

Symbiotx

lol, he flat out says he's not a fan of an xbone 1.5, and people ignore it and latch onto the second part assuming he's going to make an EVEN MORE POWERFUL xbone 1.5

What a magical world some of you live in.

pooptest

^
It'll be Polaris related. Nvidia has nothing to do with these consoles.

This.

I can't say it enough how many times nVidia has burned their bridges with all the console manufacturers.

And they wouldn't have PS4 running AMD and PS4K running nVidia anyway. Same goes for Xbox (Two?).

Would be nice if they just wait and release a new system after 5 years. But then that puts Sony in a tough place if they release PS4K and then gotta put out a brand system to compete.

greenegt

Interesting comments by Phil. I assumed XB1.5 was a given. Maybe they are planning to get out ahead of Sony for the true next gen and have the benefit of full backwards compatibility with the XB1.

IJoel

Really just fits into their strategy with the UWP. What I get from his statement is that the next Xbox, whether released in 6 months or 2 years, will be a significant upgrade from the current one. UWP will ensure the next games and apps can be developed with compatibility across all platforms.

Stormy

lol, he flat out says he's not a fan of an xbone 1.5, and people ignore it and latch onto the second part assuming he's going to make an EVEN MORE POWERFUL xbone 1.5

How do you not read it that way? He says he would want to move forward with bigger numbers. I.E. More substantial upgrade the a 1.5 type of move. Meaning more powerful. Pretty simple to me.

Now the timing part of it? Outright speculation at this point, but if Sony moves Microsoft will to. They will not be left behind.

If I am wrong, I will be shocked.

No.

The only way people jump ship back to Xbox is if Sony makes a severe miscalculation and terminates the current PS4 model. I cannot imagine a single intelligent reason to kill the current model and only have the PS4K (aka only a $399.99 model) in store. Having two SKU's available allows them to target price-conscious consumers and enthusiast consumers.

I'm not saying people will embrace the new PS4 and that it won't burn some goodwill. The jury is still out. What I'm saying is if the current PS4 continues to exist then Microsoft's next console will be in the same rocky boat that their current console is in. In fact, when you think about it even more, their next console could possibly be in an even rockier boat as a result of Sony pursuing a 3 year update cycle. By the time Microsoft launches the Xbox Two as a 4K 60FPS machine @$399.99, they might be going up against a 4K 30FPS machine @$249.99. Sony might attain a significant price-advantage as a result of embracing 4K technology early on. The price difference would lead to a bloodbath at retail.

Sounds like MS should throw in the towel and just do software

DOWN

Banned
Yeah I prefer PS4 and like graphics, but somehow feel betrayed that I won't get the best efforts of the PS studios for a whole gen if I keep the standard PS4. I didn't think I was buying into the iPhone trade in cycle for upgrading.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Thank God...I'm still hoping we get a legitimate 'Xbox Two' (or whatever), that is a massive upgrade and at least attempts to be capable for 5+ years.

Wish Sony would go this route but I guess we'll get a PS5 eventually anyway.

Didn't Netflix say Microsoft would come out with a new Xbox that has HDR and 4K support? Or was that only for PS4.

I think we'll at-least get a slim edition soon, with some upgrades maybe not APU related but like the SHDD in the elite model, something that'll speed things up.

Interesting comments by Phil. I assumed XB1.5 was a given. Maybe they are planning to get out ahead of Sony for the true next gen and have the benefit of full backwards compatibility with the XB1.

That's what I thought, too. They can either introduce a beefed up XBOX One this holiday, or just stick to the old model, knowing they wont have a chance against Sony anyhow this time, and introduce a new generation (not: 1.5) in 2018, which would give them a head start of at least one year compared to Sony's anticipated PS5.

Cyriades

Wow. Good guy Phil.

Look Sony, if Microsoft aren't moving in this direction why should you?

more like..

398070838.jpg

Pompadour

This just sounds like they'll just wait a year after the PS4K and release the Xbox "2" regardless if it's a generational leap in power or not.

Yoday

I took this to mean that they aren't after some minor upgrades like a whole new box just for upscaling and 4K media playback. I took it to mean that when they sell a new box it is going to be a complete overhaul of the entire APU and memory. What he means by this, and what we can take from it, largely depends on what Phil believes the PS4K is, which we can only speculate on.

If they weren't coming out with something new fairly soon, he wouldn't have talked about it a month ago. The tech is going to be out there for a substantial upgrade this year, it may just vary on what MS and Sony plan to do with it. I could see MS willing to take a bit bigger of a hit on the hardware in order to get a bigger upgrade out there. If the reports are true and Sony is upgrading but still using a smaller APU, then all MS would have to do is design a new APU that is the same size as the XBO APU, but without the ESRAM, and it could be considerably more powerful than what Sony uses.

Sydle

That's what I thought, too. They can either introduce a beefed up XBOX One this holiday, or just stick to the old model, knowing they wont have a chance against Sony anyhow this time, and introduce a new generation (not: 1.5) in 2018, which would give them a head start of at least one year compared to Sony's anticipated PS5.

There's no way they're waiting until 2018. That's way too late to the VR game and by then the PS4K and NX will have been out a while. Nevermind all the new GPUs coming out late this year and early next year.

I suppose this year is a possibility, but the most likely scenario is a new console in 2017.

This just sounds like they'll just wait a year after the PS4K and release the Xbox "2" regardless if it's a generational leap in power or not.

really?

i honestly think it sounds more like they're going to release something much more powerful than an Xbox 1.5 - or in other words, something that's a larger leap in processing power than the project PS4 -> PS4k.

this is all just very strange considering his last comments we were discussing here on GAF.

curious if Spencer's plan is to truly take back the hardware crown, and if so - when exactly [& how exactly?].

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The way I see it Microsoft has no reason to rush an updated system to market. They don't have a VR device to push.

So sit back and watch the reaction to Sony's gamble.

Peterc

Sales aren't good enough, maybe he wants to say it's better to wait for PC only or xbox 4.
Because an upgrade will not safe the xbox1 sales, it only will cost them money.

Sony is rushing everything, PSVR and new ps4.5 could be a failure.
It's way to expensive, It's a dangerous [move].

Question still is what Nintendo will do with their NX.

I took this to mean that they aren't after some minor upgrades like a whole new box just for upscaling and 4K media playback. I took it to mean that when they sell a new box it is going to be a complete overhaul of the entire APU and memory. What he means by this, and what we can take from it, largely depends on what Phil believes the PS4K is, which we can only speculate on.

If they weren't coming out with something new fairly soon, he wouldn't have talked about it a month ago. The tech is going to be out there for a substantial upgrade this year, it may just vary on what MS and Sony plan to do with it. I could see MS willing to take a bit bigger of a hit on the hardware in order to get a bigger upgrade out there. If the reports are true and Sony is upgrading but still using a smaller APU, then all MS would have to do is design a new APU that is the same size as the XBO APU, but without the ESRAM, and it could be considerably more powerful than what Sony uses.

yeah, this is what's intriguing about this whole situation.

is MS going to get back into this full force and burn some margins in order to take back the hardware crown?

seems like they have that opportunity right here.

Isn't that pretty much what he said though? He doesn't want a minor upgrade to the xbox he wants something fairly substantial.

The same world where Phil started this shit.

He's already stated he likes upgrades, (which he doubles down on with this statement) doesn't like waiting 6 years for new console tech and he's now stated he doesn't like incremental upgrades, preferring instead more substantial ones. None of those cancel the other out.

Since Microsoft isn't a fan of conventional naming schemes, I implore them to consider names such as the (2016) Xbox, (2019) Xbox, etc.

I pretty much agree with this and think its very plausible . I really can see Sony coming out with a New Ps4 thats just as capable graphically as the Ps4 they have now just more PS VR ready and that can play 4k Blu ray movies. It would allow people that are not interested in those things (4k movies/VR ) to not feel bad about upgrading so that's good

Thing with MS and based of of Phil's comments it sounds like they will release a more powerful console overall that may possibly be compatible with Oculus Rift does 4k movies and Powerful enough to do constant 1080 60 fps .

As far as that goes its sounds like Sony is in a good position cause I cant see anything wrong with a PS4K that not any more powerful but just plays 4k movies and doesnt need that box that comes with PS VR . Then they can release the PS5 that plays 4k games in 2020 and I cant see Xbox releasing a console that can do that before Sony can .

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Xbox 4K.

Will make Sony look silly when they use 4K as well and it lets them finally get on the same numbering level.

They can then call them next one Xbox 5.

Isn't that pretty much what he said though? He doesn't want a minor upgrade to the xbox he wants something fairly substantial.

That's how I read it, tbh. He's just saying that he doesn't like the idea of an Xbox 1.5, not that he's against introducing new hardware. Just saying that 1.5 sounds too incremental.

Keihart

Welll there it is, it seems that this is being pushed by higher ups.
Not surprinsingly, Phil Spencer keeps being the voice of reason in MS.

Chobel

To me it sounds Xbox 1.5 will happen and it will be a big upgrade, but being PR guy and all Phil Spencer thinks the name "1.5" doesn't convey such substantial jump in tech.

And if I'm understanding his quotes right, he's suggesting that XBO 1.5 will have way better specs than the rumored PS4K specs. This last part sounds unlikely to me, not if Xbox 1.5 is going to be priced anywhere reasonably.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Last time XBox 1.5 was thrown around (because they launched the 360 only 4 yrs after the OG xbox), it seemed to work out well enough for them - the hardware was a substantial upgrade, gamers everywhere got over their initial consternation about a short console cycle and that generation was Microsoft's best on the market thus far. Don't see why Phil wouldn't be a fan.

While Sony can stick to their 8 GB GDDR5 RAM, MS has to deal with that ESRAM / DDR3 RAM bottleneck before they can even think about beefing up their system. So they need a complete overhaul of their system, while Sony "just" has to implement a stronger APU.

So, maybe that's what Phil meant when he said he doesn't like "minor" upgrades. Because in MS case, it's not enough to get it at least on par with the PS4k.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the ultimate bait, i'm screaming..............................make sony think u are releasing a new and more powerful console and force them to rapidly respond.............then say you were never planning to release a more powerful console. icon Phil.

Pop

The could wait another year or five. Xbox next console will still be the weakest out of the two. And the dig at the servers was just stupid. Here lately Xbox has been the one going down every other day.

I'll never get why people are reacting to negatively to the idea of a PS4K. Have none of you ever had a PC before? PS4 remains the biggest current-gen platform and will be the primary target of all games until the PS5 cometh. There won't be a cross-gen port situation because by the time we got our shitty Shadow of Mordor and CoD ports, last-gen hardware had become ANCIENT to the point that it was greatly limiting game design, and sales were already grinding to a halt. A PS4K wouldn't sell nearly as much as the current PS4, especially when it'll get even cheaper and with Sony's guarantee that every PS4K game runs on it as well. Thus, developers can't half-ass it on the OG PS4. Jesus, this is basic shit!

Disclaimer: I won't buy one because I bought my PS4 three months ago and am not made out of cash, but this is nevertheless a great idea if rightly implemented.

Edit: All of the above goes for the XB1/XB1.5 too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Now the timing part of it? Outright speculation at this point, but if Sony moves Microsoft will to. They will not be left behind.

If I am wrong, I will be shocked.
IMO, Microsoft already started making their move. It's a slightly different move, but still - If you want to play their games on an enthusiast level performance and image quality, you now have the option to do so on their Windows 10 PCs. I might be wrong, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they are going with that line of thinking.

I think they'll just wait to see Sony's specs for PS4K(if it exists), and then one up them and be first to the next console generation with Xbox One 2.
I kind of expect something like that too. Would be interesting if they keep one upping each other by releasing updated hardware at out-of-step intervals. All the while new hardware being compatible with older one, to make the development transition relatively trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom