• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not a game pass or subscription guy at all, BUT...

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
eIrYrRS.jpg

MikeM

Cool post OP.

I have both and think MS is making smart moves with fuck you money. GamePass is solid and is forcing Sony to be better in that regard. Buying IP to broaden their first party development and income. This will force Sony to be better.

I would be careful with thinking that MS “cares” for its base more than PS. They are corporations and only care as much as they need to for profits.

I also question GP’s pricing longevity considering that they recently tried to make Gold double the cost. Once they feel they have enough sub membership in GP, the next thing to bring in more revenue will be sub costs. That will be the real test.

Cool post OP.

I have both and think MS is making smart moves with fuck you money. GamePass is solid and is forcing Sony to be better in that regard. Buying IP to broaden their first party development and income. This will force Sony to be better.

I would be careful with thinking that MS “cares” for its base more than PS. They are corporations and only care as much as they need to for profits.

I also question GP’s pricing longevity considering that they recently tried to make Gold double the cost. Once they feel they have enough sub membership in GP, the next thing to bring in more revenue will be sub costs. That will be the real test.
Gamepass users should be thanking their lucky stars that Sony came out with ps+, similar to how ps+ users should be thanking their lucky stars gamepass exists.

The more competition the better, maybe sony is forced into putting exclusives day one, maybe Microsoft is forced into adding more 3rd party entries, etc.

Even if new additions aren't added to their services, it sure as hell is keeping them from raising the prices

I loved the PS4 last gen but I switched to xbox this gen (at least for now). Gamepass takes care of my gaming needs, and the service is primarily why I changed teams. Its a great service (albeit a bit boring so far this year).

I'll certainly be jealous when games like god of war release. I'll probably get a PS5 when a slim is release and it can fit in my media unit.

sachos

I mean, there is nothing wrong with that? You make it sound like its bad that you are buying most of your games for the Series X? Maybe you just got used to the controller or UI or recently most 3rd party games run a little bit better on the Series X so there is that too.

I dont get this part of your post though "I truly do feel like Sony is getting the messaging wrong this gen and seem to care less about the gamer than Microsoft do.", what is this "messaging" people keep talking about? At the end of the day Sony so far has published more next gen and exclusive games and in my opinion they have showcased the next gen selling points much better than Microsoft: better raytracing on first party games and way better load times, sub 2 seconds on games that properly utilize the PS5 hardware), we have not seen load times anywhere near that fast on Series X as far as i know, im especially disappointed on their first party games load times too.

Oh and the PS5 is also a proper offline console with good support for physical games, so thats caring for the gamer in my eyes. Their emulation SUCKS though, they need to get better at that asap, and release more classic games.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I loved the PS4 last gen but I switched to xbox this gen (at least for now). Gamepass takes care of my gaming needs, and the service is primarily why I changed teams. Its a great service (albeit a bit boring so far this year).

I'll certainly be jealous when games like god of war release. I'll probably get a PS5 when a slim is release and it can fit in my media unit.
I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm not all that enamoured with Sony exclusives like I once was. I loved the original 3 Uncharted games but not so much part 4. Last Of Us 2 didn't really do much for me, but I enjoyed the original. The newest Ratchet game was fine, but extremely similar to all the others. Returnal was actually really good though. Gran Turismo ain't my thing. God Of War gets me excited so there is that but Sony seemed to have lost their edge maybe? Horizon was boring. Both games did zero for me even though the 2nd was better than the original. Maybe my tastes are changing... Who knows!

It is nice to see some in here give some legit answers instead of giving me shit cause I'm an Xbox fanboy or something like that. I'm no fan of the subscription route they are going but find they are doing well by their customers. I'm well aware they really don't care all that much about us but it is nice to see Microsoft show us some love like they did in the original Xbox and early 360 days.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I had PS360, then PS4 only, and now back to Xbox Series S|X.

I purchase console exclusives (that ain’t on Switch/PC) on Xbox series due to their pledge and reliability for backward compatibility. Games like Gears of War, Halo 5, Asura’s Wrath, Code: Veronica, Rumble Roses XX, Peace Walker HD, Judgement etc. Xbox game pass also allows me to explore games at a very affordable price, so why not.

I can wait for PS5

I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm not all that enamoured with Sony exclusives like I once was. I loved the original 3 Uncharted games but not so much part 4. Last Of Us 2 didn't really do much for me, but I enjoyed the original. The newest Ratchet game was fine, but extremely similar to all the others. Returnal was actually really good though. Gran Turismo ain't my thing. God Of War gets me excited so there is that but Sony seemed to have lost their edge maybe? Horizon was boring. Both games did zero for me even though the 2nd was better than the original. Maybe my tastes are changing... Who knows!

It is nice to see some in here give some legit answers instead of giving me shit cause I'm an Xbox fanboy or something like that. I'm no fan of the subscription route they are going but find they are doing well by their customers. I'm well aware they really don't care all that much about us but it is nice to see Microsoft show us some love like they did in the original Xbox and early 360 days.
You're trolling right?

The main appeal of xbox is gamepass lol, in the upcoming years exclusives might catch up, but if you are excluding GP, wtf are you talking about? How exactly are they showing you LOVE ffs?

MacReady13

It's not that weird, insecure people need daily affirmation.
It's not affirmation. It's just a discussion point. If you want to join in then fine. I was giving my example. Asked if anyone had any idea why and if it was only me. Didn't realize it would cause so much consternation.

MacReady13

You're trolling right?

The main appeal of xbox is gamepass lol, in the upcoming years exclusives might catch up, but if you are excluding GP, wtf are you talking about? How exactly are they showing you LOVE ffs?
So I don't care for Game Pass yet I'm drawn to Xbox again. And no, I'm not trolling. Why is me asking this question so hard for some of you to comprehend?

Im purchasing most of my games on Xbox because it just feels more reliable right now after their BC efforts and cloud stuff. Its not really any major difference but their general vibe altered some of my purchasing habits. I still get games off PSN and Switch pretty frequently though. They're all pretty similar but I appreciate the smart delivery and BC polish at times.

Last edited:

twilo99

I'm not a game pass or subscription guy at all, and especially when it comes to gaming BUT, I am weirdly drawn to the Series X this console gen so far.

I have no idea what it is, as last gen I started with the Xbox One but after a while got lured over to the PS4 and it was my main console for the whole generation.

I assumed that the PS5 would continue that trend, what with near full backwards compatibility, VR support and all those Sony exclusives yet somehow, I find myself buying most, if not ALL of my games, on the Series X.

Don't get me wrong- I will still get the PSVR2 and buying the Sony exclusives (even if I do think the majority of them are overrated) yet I am slowly making the shift towards Xbox again, even if I completely disagree on their move towards a subscription based service (as long as I can still purchase games though I don't care if they go for the sub service).

Anyone else feel like this or is it just me? I truly do feel like Sony is getting the messaging wrong this gen and seem to care less about the gamer than Microsoft do. Maybe i'm reading things incorrectly... I'm not too sure. But I consider myself an OG Xbox fan as I was around for the original Xbox, was at the midnight launch for the 360 as well as the launch for the Xbox One. And I always saw Microsoft as an extension (at one point) of Sega once they left the console space.

In saying that I was a fan of the PS1, had a PS2 at launch and did the same with the PS3, so I'm a bit of a Sony Playstation fanboy at heart as well.

Thoughts people? Anyone else feel like this or is this just a ME thing?

Err you should try gamepass and then you will be completely ruined.

Last edited:
So I don't care for Game Pass yet I'm drawn to Xbox again. And no, I'm not trolling. Why is me asking this question so hard for some of you to comprehend?
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, just seems odd to me.

You're saying you're drawn to xbox but don't know why, and it's none of the popular reasons,and when asked about it, it's "lol idk"

I actually like the Xbox controller more, not for the features (clear Sony W), but the texture and off-centered sticks make up for it imo

Guess I'm just trying to see if there's a more concrete reason than "lol cuz"

sendit

I clearly wrote that I have no idea what it is... hence why I am asking the question.

Sony getting the messaging wrong- well it seems to me Microsoft seems to be showing more care for the gamers. Sony complaining about backwards compatibility, complaining about Call of Duty being on Xbox game pass etc etc. Seems they aren't really focused on the gamer like they were during the PS4 era.

Game Pass is a rental service so not my thing. Not too sure why that is such a hard concept to grasp for some here... Both Microsoft and Sony (and to a lesser degree Nintendo) are doing it so I'm not sure what the issue here is.

As for explaining my thoughts, I think I put some effort into explaining what I needed. I clearly stated I have no idea why I am favoring Xbox over PS5 and wanted some others to maybe help explain something I may not be seeing but is happening in the backround would help me to understand this sudden shift in thinking.

Totally agree, games are no longer their main focus. This year, they rushed out GT7 and Horizon: FW (honestly, can't believe these two games are still charting in the top 20). Additionally, they're in process of charging 70 dollars for a remake that a normal person would have to get two jobs to afford. Furthermore, they're about to release the over hyped God of War Ragnarok in a couple of months.

Last edited:

MikeM

Im purchasing most of my games on Xbox because it just feels more reliable right now after their BC efforts and cloud stuff. Its not really any major difference but their general vibe altered some of my purchasing habits. I still get games off PSN and Switch pretty frequently though. They're all pretty similar but I appreciate the smart delivery and BC polish at times.
Facts on back compat. I just bought Fear 3 and its fantastic at 60 fps.

AdamTank83

Neo Member
I'm a long time playstation fan, I bought PS1, 2, 3, 4....

but this gen...

It's actually been the exact same. I've been very happy with my PS5 and have absolutely no reason to purchase an xbox lol
Hey, you gotta do you. Who are we to judge? Enjoy

SeraphJan

Some people do prefer to play third party game on Xbox, only use Playstation for exclusive

I personally do find extra nice feature such as quick resume attractive, but mostly I play on monitor, 1440p with VRR support is important for me

Last edited:

ArtHands

You're trolling right?

GP isn’t the only selling point of Xbox though

reinking

Gold Member
Not going to lie. My XBSX is a Game Pass machine. I just checked to make sure I didn't forget a purchase. I have made zero game purchases on the Series X. I'm okay with that and I assume Microsoft is too since they are focused on Game Pass. That is the value Game Pass brings, I have had little reason to purchase a game on the Series X.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i do subscribe to PS PLUS for several years.
im not a subscription guy but PS PLUS is rather cheap, and I do get some good games to play, so its a good deal to me.

lh032

Its the only selling point of Xbox actually.
I never heard anyone speak anything outside of Gamepass when discussing about Xbox.
Gamepass is basically Xbox branding now.

"Gamepass is the best deal in gaming"
"I got this on gamepass"
"When is this game coming to gamepass"
"I'll be waiting this game on gamepass in the near future"

Last edited:
Totally agree, games are no longer their main focus. This year, they rushed out GT7 and Horizon: FW (honestly, can't believe these two games are still charting in the top 20). Additionally, they're in process of charging 70 dollars for a remake that a normal person would have to get two jobs to afford. Furthermore, they're about to release the over hyped God of War Ragnarok in a couple of months.

They rushed out two games they delayed for over a year?

And if you need two jobs to afford a video game you really should reconsider your career

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They both have there pros and cons.

I use the seriesX as my daily driver for media. Quick resume is also great.
PS5 is more for exclusives, but really enjoying its games like returnal and rift apart, combined with the Daulsense they feel like a newer experience.

Both great systems.

I never heard anyone speak anything outside of Gamepass when discussing about Xbox.

"I got this on gamepass"
Theyre pretty much identical. But xbox has good BC, smart delivery, cloud, quick resume and it doesn't look like a giant melted grilled cheese sandwich. The systems are barely different but there are some minor differences aside from gamepass.

SteadyEvo

I feel you OP. I’ve always had a soft spot for MS even though I feel they rank last behind Nintendo and Sony.

With the OG Xbox they had the best graphics. Remember Splinter Cell and GTA looked great. Had the start of Xbox Live. Halo 1&2. NFL Fever. Shenmue 2.

Was loving the 360 till it Red Ringed on me. Turned my attention to PlayStation the majority of that gen, missing Halo 3 and Left f4 Dead.

The One launched and I felt they had the better exclusives out the gate with Ryse and Dead Rising 3. Then there was Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and Gears Remastered. Later on we got the start of Gamepass. My thinking at the time was I’ll pay $180 for 3 years and play Horizon 4, Gears 4 and State of Decay 2 along with any other surprises they might drop. I’ve been subbed ever since.

This gen MS does what they usually do. Preach power while I waited for games to actually take advantage of it all. Love the size of the S. Still enjoy Gamepass. Currently taking advantage of the 10 hour Madden 23 trial. Glad to have The Show and 2k cause I wouldn’t have bought them otherwise. Same with Like a Dragon which I really enjoyed. Loved As Dusk Falls. Waiting to see what comes of the Activision deal.

So yeah, I like MS too 🙂

ArtHands

"I got this on gamepass"

No, not really. Just because they ain’t talking about things like backward compatibility, ability to buy previous gen games, previous gen peripherals support, smart delivery, quick resume, play everywhere etc doesn’t mean these ain’t reasons enough. No need to downplay xbox here

Last edited:

Rea

I'm not a game pass or subscription guy at all, and especially when it comes to gaming BUT, I am weirdly drawn to the Series X this console gen so far.

I have no idea what it is, as last gen I started with the Xbox One but after a while got lured over to the PS4 and it was my main console for the whole generation.

I assumed that the PS5 would continue that trend, what with near full backwards compatibility, VR support and all those Sony exclusives yet somehow, I find myself buying most, if not ALL of my games, on the Series X.

Don't get me wrong- I will still get the PSVR2 and buying the Sony exclusives (even if I do think the majority of them are overrated) yet I am slowly making the shift towards Xbox again, even if I completely disagree on their move towards a subscription based service (as long as I can still purchase games though I don't care if they go for the sub service).

Anyone else feel like this or is it just me? I truly do feel like Sony is getting the messaging wrong this gen and seem to care less about the gamer than Microsoft do. Maybe i'm reading things incorrectly... I'm not too sure. But I consider myself an OG Xbox fan as I was around for the original Xbox, was at the midnight launch for the 360 as well as the launch for the Xbox One. And I always saw Microsoft as an extension (at one point) of Sega once they left the console space.

In saying that I was a fan of the PS1, had a PS2 at launch and did the same with the PS3, so I'm a bit of a Sony Playstation fanboy at heart as well.

Thoughts people? Anyone else feel like this or is this just a ME thing?
rick astley GIF

lh032

No, not really. Just because they ain’t talking about things like backward compatibility, ability to buy previous gen games, previous gen peripherals support, smart delivery, quick resume, play everywhere etc doesn’t mean these ain’t reasons enough. No need to downplay xbox here
im not downplaying but i personally don't think the above is the "selling point", compared to gamepass.
I still believe Gamepass is the MAIN selling point that attracts people to xbox.

Im really not trying to console warring here.

ArtHands

im not downplaying but i personally don't think the above is the "selling point", compared to gamepass.
I still believe Gamepass is the MAIN selling point that attracts people to xbox.

Im really not trying to console warring here.

Even if it is the main selling point doesn’t mean there’s no other (smaller) selling points.

Ozzie666

Having game pass across console and PC is a great thing. Very consumer friendly. As someone who has a decent PC, I don't buy a lot of PC games. Usually Game pass fills that void. It's robust enough.
I wish Sony would move closer to this model with their first part titles.

Microsoft needs to buy the Steam-deck, make their own with at least Series S specs and have game pass across all 3. I wonder if Third Party developers would support cross-play to that manner, or want to charge a on hypothetical system.

Whatever side of the fence your on, competition is good and Micrsoft is holding Sony accountable.

I find both next gen consoles to be severely lacking right now. I’ve alternated between the two with which I find myself using more at any given time - it’s been fairly equal. Maybe slight edge to the series X due to gamepass - but frankly I haven’t touched either one much since Elden ring. For the life of me I can’t get into horizon at all - which is weird cus I loved the first one. Probably will be god of war to bring me back

ArtHands

When discussing the value between the two it certainly is.... Are you trying to say otherwise?

The fact that Microsoft has an adaptive controller, doesn’t push $70 with their first party games, allow people to reuse previous gen controllers to save cost, backward compatibility and other moves are probably the reasons he thinks Microsoft is showing more loves for the consumers.

Last edited:

lh032

The fact that Microsoft has an adaptive controller, doesn’t push $70 with their first party games, allow people to reuse previous gen controllers to save cost, backward compatibility and other moves are probably the reasons he thinks Microsoft are showing more loves for the consumers.
It's the biggest selling point, but of course not the only one. One big selling point for me was the better BC and also VRR, back when PS5 didn't have it.

fair point.

Chronicle

I clearly wrote that I have no idea what it is... hence why I am asking the question.

Sony getting the messaging wrong- well it seems to me Microsoft seems to be showing more care for the gamers. Sony complaining about backwards compatibility, complaining about Call of Duty being on Xbox game pass etc etc. Seems they aren't really focused on the gamer like they were during the PS4 era.

Game Pass is a rental service so not my thing. Not too sure why that is such a hard concept to grasp for some here... Both Microsoft and Sony (and to a lesser degree Nintendo) are doing it so I'm not sure what the issue here is.

As for explaining my thoughts, I think I put some effort into explaining what I needed. I clearly stated I have no idea why I am favoring Xbox over PS5 and wanted some others to maybe help explain something I may not be seeing but is happening in the backround would help me to understand this sudden shift in thinking.
Help you explain something you feel necessary yet state there is no reason? Make like a tree dude. There could be a million reasons, from the hum of the system to the way it looks on your shelf. Figure it out for yourself and then tell us why.

pasterpl

"I got this on gamepass"

Backwards compatibility, emulation, cross device save sync (pc-Xbox), play anywhere on some titles, backward compatibility on hardware (controllers), better game pad, quick resume, more 120fps games, last year multiple highly ranked first party releases, cloud gaming (test game via cloud before install + play your games while away), cheaper games, and yes gamepass is the massive point when talking about Xbox, but it is not the only one. And we know of at least some part of their exclusives pipeline so some great exclusives will be dropping on Xbox on the coming months/years. I think that another massive advantage of Xbox is the variety of games that they release, they don’t go with single template, they have got already released, some are coming hopefully soon; some rts, racing sim, flight sim, games like pentiment, fps shooters (now more with Id and arkane), rpg (starfield, avowed, grounded, fable, Diablo etc.), arcade racers (best in the class forza horizon), great live service games (sea of thieves. State of decay), platformers (psychonauts, and after ABK acquisition is done, spyro, crash), games like hellblade 2, project Mara, everwild, perfect dark reboot - which we don’t know exactly what these will be. There is lots already going for Xbox and lots more to come.

lh032

Backwards compatibility, emulation, cross device save sync (pc-Xbox), play anywhere on some titles, backward compatibility on hardware (controllers), better game pad, quick resume, more 120fps games, last year multiple highly ranked first party releases, cloud gaming (test game via cloud before install + play your games while away), cheaper games, and yes gamepass is the massive point when talking about Xbox, but it is not the only one. And we know of at least some part of their exclusives pipeline so some great exclusives will be dropping on Xbox on the coming months/years. I think that another massive advantage of Xbox is the variety of games that they release, they don’t go with single template, they have got already released, some are coming hopefully soon; some rts, racing sim, flight sim, games like pentiment, fps shooters (now more with Id and arkane), rpg (starfield, avowed, grounded, fable, Diablo etc.), arcade racers (best in the class forza horizon), great live service games (sea of thieves. State of decay), platformers (psychonauts, and after ABK acquisition is done, spyro, crash), games like hellblade 2, project Mara, everwild, perfect dark reboot - which we don’t know exactly what these will be. There is lots already going for Xbox and lots more to come.
alot of these games you mentioned has yet to release, i mean the same can be said to Playstation games, its not like they stop releasing games now.
I prefer to not talk about "future"games for now ,its rather pointless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom