• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not excited for the new Elder Scrolls Game anymore.

Techies

Most people loved Skyrim, have fond memories of it, spend way too much time modding for it.
The ability to have a whole world to explore was just amazing for the time.

Then VR happened and the idea of having Skyrim was just too good too be true, but happened and Bethesda did an alright job but like usual it was a really flawed implementation. Later on mods were released for it, but most of them was still WIP and it just became a management nightmare. Seeing the world in VR was EPIC, but you could see the textured and dated models all over the world, the game did show it's age and well the sword combat sucked badly.

It made you think what would happen if a similar game came along with a big budget and did just everything right in the beginning and was made for VR. What if the new Elder scrolls went this path, well it does not seem likely and that a game like that in VR will simply never materialize.

But I was wrong. Asgards Wrath got released recently and it's sheer scale and attention to detail is simply astonishing. It's everything I wish Skyrim would of been and more and I don't see the next Elder Scrolls game being able to compete with it without going the VR route.

I know the market of VR is smaller, but with the quality and experience a game like Asgards Wrath give, that magical feeling when you see that world as if your right there, it's on another level.

A flat screen Elder Scrolls game will simply be inferior to something like Asgards Wrath. If your looking forward to it still, ignore VR completely, because VR feels like it's just reached the next level and ignorance is bliss.

Most people loved Skyrim, have fond memories of it, spend way too much time modding for it.
The ability to have a whole world to explore was just amazing for the time.

Then VR happened and the idea of having Skyrim was just too good too be true, but happened and Bethesda did an alright job but like usual it was a really flawed implementation. Later on mods were released for it, but most of them was still WIP and it just became a management nightmare. Seeing the world in VR was EPIC, but you could see the textured and dated models all over the world, the game did show it's age and well the sword combat sucked badly.

It made you think what would happen if a similar game came along with a big budget and did just everything right in the beginning and was made for VR. What if the new Elder scrolls went this path, well it does not seem likely and that a game like that in VR will simply never materialize.

But I was wrong. Asgards Wrath got released recently and it's sheer scale and attention to detail is simply astonishing. It's everything I wish Skyrim would of been and more and I don't see the next Elder Scrolls game being able to compete with it without going the VR route.

I know the market of VR is smaller, but with the quality and experience a game like Asgards Wrath give, that magical feeling when you see that world as if your right there, it's on another level.

A flat screen Elder Scrolls game will simply be inferior to something like Asgards Wrath. If your looking forward to it still, ignore VR completely, because VR feels like it's just reached the next level and ignorance is bliss.

k2MqvXj.jpg

Saber

Gold Member
I only play Skyrim because of mods.
Elder Scroll its pretty mediocre to me and Skyrim is the last one I will ever touch.

bobone

Not sure how Skyrim would be at the moment if you never played it before.
Basically every game is open world now; and the appeal of Skyrim in 2011 was that there wasn't alot of open world games. Certainly none with the perceived scale of Skyrim.

I love the Elder Scroll series but I'm very curious to see what they will do for number 6 given the saturation of the market with open world, icons on map, fast travel, quest giver, fetching widgets, mild crafting, rpg lite, linear skill tree, etc, etc

Ixiah

Banned
I will buy it.....4 or 5 years later after Mods have fixed all the Bugs Bethesta was too greedy to spend money on them.
And hopefully made the Story better, because if Fallout 4 was any indication, its gonna be an Babys first RPG, with Level Scaling, Todd Coward seems to unable to not tell Players how to feel or let them play Games their way.

Fbh

I'm not excited because Skyrim came out 8 years ago which is also the amount of time since they last released a good game.

The next Elder Scrolls is probably going to be a buggy mess with dated looks and some badly implemented monetization

Last edited:

Romulus

Skyrim in VR is incredible imo. Asgard's Wrath takes it to another level in many ways. I'm pretty much done with RPGs and racers unless they're in VR, on 2D screens there's zero immersion and everything looks tiny on my 70inch flatscreen.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I'm a fan (maybe embarrassingly so at this point) and I'd recommend playing Skyrim on PS4 if you don't have a computer. Why not? Even without the improved PC specs and mods it's still a great game despite its age. Sure, both Skyrim and Fallout 4 were stripped-down a bit compared to earlier games, but they're still fun.

Belmonte

I'm a simple man. I only wish they give my character stats back and stop making the player the choosen one in every quest.

It is a shame they won't go back to Morrowind/Daggerfall in RPG complexity, but I settle down for Oblivion style at least.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You crazy if you think the next GTA won't be as great as GTA IV.
Gta iv was great. Especially when it came out. V went in the wrong direction for me. They broke physics (especially driving physics) and made story and characters terrible.
But I am also worried where Rockstar as a company is going. The launcher is crap and RDR2 was a pacing mess (but returned with good story and great characters like in gta IV at least)

Gta iv was great. Especially when it came out. V went in the wrong direction for me. They broke physics (especially driving physics) and made story and characters terrible.
But I am also worried where Rockstar as a company is going. The launcher is crap and RDR2 was a pacing mess (but returned with good story and great characters like in gta IV at least)
GTA V was designed to win back the fans who hated GTA IV.

GTA VI is going to appease to both fans, them and us, God willingly. Based on the leaks, it seems they're going back to GTA IV's brilliance and realism.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
As a game? Mass Effect 2 is great. A solid shooter with a deep story and awesome characters.
As an RPG? It's overshadowed by its superior predecesor.
I've been replaying the trilogy as of late and the drop in quality from 1 to 2 is massive.
I disagree. Also Ubisoft fucking sucks.

As a game? Mass Effect 2 is great. A solid shooter with a deep story and awesome characters.
As an RPG? It's overshadowed by its superior predecesor.
I've been replaying the trilogy as of late and the drop in quality from 1 to 2 is massive.
Interesting to hear....I only played Mass Effect 2 and planning to play the trilogy in 2020.

buizel

Banned
I always thought the open-world sandbox MMO Citadel looked awesome...

iu
iu
iu
iu
iu
iu
iu
iu
iu

It's like everything I wanted Elder Scrolls Online X No Mans Sky to be.

GTA V was designed to win back the fans who hated GTA IV.

GTA VI is going to appease to both fans, them and us, God willingly. Based on the leaks, it seems they're going back to GTA IV's brilliance and realism.
Gtav also neutered their euphoria physics way too much. Running over people in iv was brutal. V they would always kinda do this fetal position thing that just wasn't as good

BigBooper

Playing more than an hour or so in VR feels like someone fondling my eyeballs. Not in a sexy way. No thank you mister.

Phase

If it's not a complete botch job I think I'll enjoy it. But who knows with Bethesda at this point.

So i was waiting for resident evil 7 to have pc vr support to start looking into finally buying a headset. It starting to look like:

1. Shit's not happening (has it been modded in well)
2. Something new like this might just be the killer app that makes me cave.

Top Bottom