• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm Obsessed With Old Game Console Store Display Kiosks (56k)

HotHamBoy

Big, chunky plastic molding and faded old CRTS, blazing logos and anchored controllers... i love them. I want them all. Unfortunately they go for thousands of bucks if you can even find one. So I gotta content myself with pics. Share some of the ones you think are cool, or of you are one of the privelaged few I'd love to see your own unit(s).

BONUS: Absurd vintage retail instructional videos for floor operations!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C990wzFsoho

Learn how to sell video games to clueless shoppers like it's 1991!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_PaMvtWWQ_8

It's 1993, time to learn how to sell the SNES and explain why there's no CD ROM drive! (ATTITUDE WARNING)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZXaljfzHhA

1988_Nintendo-display-of-year.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

SNES-Super-Nintendo-Kiosk-Original-from-1991-System-Store-Display.jpg

SNES-Super-Nintendo-IN-STORE-KIOSK-Retail-Display-RARE.jpg

Dreamcast-Sega-DC-Store-Display-Promo-Kiosk.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2c5239926c82f9c49d4f32562f2daab5.jpg

playstation%20kiosk1.JPG

8d57520f5d713eed276f9e981e31f879.jpg

DSC02188.jpg

t3VPg.png

jLA0dfA.jpg

DSC02037.jpg

largestgameboy.jpg

retial_display.JPG

SUPER-NINTENDO-SNES-STORE-DISPLAY-KIOSK-ARCADE-STYLE.jpg

a2857ab6ae11e372cc3b123b1e1a5320.jpg

canthaveit8-1.jpg

4XMEyvg.jpg

sega1.jpg

LBNNJtK.jpg

fullviewafter.JPG

013.JPG

new_project__gamecube_store_display_restoration_by_emeffy-d7awlp3.jpg

dreamcast-kiosk.png

LMnyd59l.jpg

Cp_jFwGWgAAQz8a.jpg

weird-64-kiosk1.jpg

dreamcast-kiosk.png

cee568ad7858ceb631a9c85a4743372d.jpg

17EF0596-044A-8D97-A1297C1F8C63EACA.png

virtualboy.jpg

4837C8A1-94FE-5AAE-94B8E3524E5C6AB0.png

Nintendo-Gamecube-Kiosk-Store-Display.jpg

photo-3_zps24d20493.jpg

post-15767-1249650235.jpg

Pokemon-Snap-Station-Blockbuster-Kiosk.jpg

canthaveit8-23.jpg

EPkOlFx.jpg

BhCIbw9.jpg

yCWYYvP.jpg

2efpczp.jpg

xUfrt47.png

DSC01586_zps70d0a447.jpg

9a2d4d67f4ee14c725d702f319735253.jpg

Sega-Genesis-Kiosk-Store-Display-Sign.jpg

www.nintendo-collection.com%20-%20Borne%20Kiosk%20Cabinet%20Super%20Nintendo%20SNES%20Gameboy%20Meuble%20Nintendo%20NES%20Mario%20.jpg

zVV4x3S.jpeg

fa8f1c45d80696cfb8b4a8559c1aad4f.jpg

kiosk7.jpg

cv39.jpg

post-1807-1175535655.jpg

8414C053-CF83-2721-E1EC71A06FAF9315.png

IMG_1974_zpsc5521a1e.jpg

65a5154fb9fe6731d0773bcca9fdefe2.jpg

m_1385939757282060.jpg

*drools*

GamerJM

Banned
I think they're cool from a historical perspective, but as a modest collector I can't imagine having one. They'd look really garish, take up a lot of space, and fail to serve a utilitarian purpose other than just being a cool collection piece.

I was scrolling and scrolling and thought: yes this person is really obsessed

But it is awesome! You also have the awesome Pokémon Snap printer! Is it still working?
I wish we had them here in Germany!

HotHamBoy

I was scrolling and scrolling and thought: yes this person is really obsessed

But it is awesome! You also have the awesome Pokémon Snap printer! Is it still working?
I wish we had them here in Germany!

Lol none of these are mine.

Stolen from google images...

That pokemon gameboy setup is dooooooope.

Haha that's a cheat I snuck in cuz it looks really nice. Pretty sure it's custom but it came up in my search and I couldn't say no.

AgeEighty

I remember a time maybe a decade ago before NES collecting blew up when you could find complete PlayChoice-10 kiosks on eBay for $500. Now you'll pay that just for the guts of a few of the carts from in one.

I bought a sealed NES Action Set on eBay back then for around $150, and now they go for ten times that.

HotHamBoy

I remember a time maybe a decade ago before NES collecting blew up when you could find complete PlayChoice-10 kiosks on eBay for $500. Now you'll pay that just for the guts of a few of the carts from in one.

I bought a sealed NES Action Set on eBay back then for around $150, and now they go for ten times that.

So those little Game Boy kiosks with the little TV-out displays? I got curious about buying one a few months ago and someone was selling one on eBay for $2,000.

Sigh.

Oh shit now I feel stupid ...

Don't fee stupid, haha. But I would be an insane person if all that shit was mine.

AgeEighty

So those little Game Boy kiosks with the little TV-out displays? I got curious about buying one a few months ago and someone was selling one on eBay for $2,000.

Sigh.

Yep. Sadly, there was a time not so long ago when you probably could have picked up a few for short money, but that time is past. It's insane how much the collectors' market has blown these things up in value in just the last few years.

Who knows: Maybe the demand will die back down in a few years and you'll have another crack at one.

poodaddy

Those Dreamcasts would be the perfect replacement for a legit Arcade set up. I wonder if it'd be a huge pain to just make my Own?

Fat4all

Banned
My local mom & pop has a SNES demo station like that first one.

They've got Super Mario World in it, and I always play a few levels when I go there.

R0nn

If I remember correctly (it's been awhile) we had different looking kiosks in Europe. It's still very cool and nostalgic though.

Oh and those videos you shared are crazy cool.

i-Jest

These are rare and expensive pieces of gaming history. I have nothing but respect for the people that collect them and keep them alive.

lazygecko

I remember reading stories from a guy who used to work in retail, and how Sony in particular would send representatives to dictate which games to show off in their kiosks and they would consistently make the most terrible choices.

itschris

Ah, yes, the Pokemon Snap kiosk. I remember my local Blockbuster had one of those back in the day. Too bad I never actually printed any stickers, even though I rented the game there.

GbCjLS7.jpg

Dranakin

Since my family couldn't afford any consoles growing up, I remember spending hours at these displays in Sears every time I was at the mall.

Ardenyal

At my local store they had an 8 (?) game switcher for megadrive that would let you play for a while and then reset the console and switch to another game. We found the switch at the back that let you bypass the time constraint to keep playing for hours :S

petran79

Banned
Computer shops did not have kiosks. They had riled up computer monitors showcasing game demos.

Eg a Commodore Amiga monitor showed International Karate Tournament demo.

I remember playing few games like Gauntlet and a shmup similar to R-Type. As well as another game on AtariST where you were talking with a guy resembling Mr Wilson, typing commands.

There was also a Phillips CDI kiosk and it had an FMV game where you scored against a pro soccer goalkeeper. You just chose a part of the goalpost with the pointer.

No FIFA could match that kind of fun. You felt you scored a real goal against a real person

gdt

This looks like garbo.

Why anyone would want to have all this shit laying around is beyond me.

Sakujou

Banned
hi, iam not obsessed, but i love them too.

i think the companies stopped doing them after the ps3.
i havent seen any displays in the old fashioned way.
these days a system is hooked up next to a gigantic 100inch projection space with a beamer in the games shops....

the only piece of collectible i could snatch in the last 20 years was this here:
killer3.jpg

I remember when I went to the first ever UK Pokemon tour, they had huge kiosks for downloading Mew to Pokemon Red and Blue. It was amazing. I always thought they were using Super Gameboys.

I remember Sega tried putting the Dreamcast ones in nightclubs and pubs/bars, it sort of made sense except instead of putting in quick pick up and play arcade games which they had billions of on the system they instead opted to put in Resident Evil Code Veronica.

Nobody gonna stand in a pub/club/bar playing a Resident Evil game.

Also fuck those PS1 booths that took 2-3 minutes to boot and get past all the logos and copyright shit, but reset every 5 minutes.

HotHamBoy

Anyone remember the Gamecube kiosks at McDonalds? I got my first exposure to Wind Waker there.

sN3oUiq.jpg

oCTyGiq.jpg

Cool! I don't know that I remember those...

While we are on the subject of kiosks for businesses and facilities, check out these units for children's hospitals:

N64

05458042-99B2-C604-F3151694ED81104A.png

5b7fed0915b93c45406ba75f42794cfc.jpg

GameCube

funCenterGC.jpg

rare-nintendo-starlight-mobile-fun-center-gamecube-dvd-player-sharp-aquos-lcd-308f05d0b864cd50ec25062226e466af.jpg

$_1.JPG

Wii

starbright_wii.jpg

intro.jpg

Wii U

FCU_1.jpg

I never knew about this but I guess they've been making these official console TV stations for multiple generations!

Top Bottom