• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm playing Nintendo Switch tomorrow at PAX, what unanswered questions do you have?

Megatron

I bought a neon Switch and a set of neon joycons so that I can play with a totally red, totally blue and the original red and blue joycon layout. To have three options is nice imo 🤘🏻

Ypud have thrse options by buying any second set of joycons with switch. For instance: gray switch, blue joy cons. You coumd do all blue, all gret or grey and blue.

So the joy-cons feel bad in the grip, buttons are clicky and the "d-pad" is in fact all seperate buttons. What the fuck. Pro Controller from Wii U better work because I'm not buying another one.

PrimeBeef

So the joy-cons feel bad in the grip, buttons are clicky and the "d-pad" is in fact all seperate buttons. What the fuck. Pro Controller from Wii U better work because I'm not buying another one.
The first part of your rant is almost the universally oposite of what everyone has said. For the last part, when has they ever been backward compatibility with controllers from previous systems? I don't count the Wii and WiiU. The Wii was sold as a new system witha Gamecube built into it and the WiiU was a new system with a Wii built into it.

MrGameBoy

I was unfortunately unable to test any game in this way other than ARMS, and that doesn't really apply to the question based on its control scheme (you use both controllers for motion controls in ARMS).
Oh well...at least the Joy-Cons seem (even more) comfortable with the straps on. Guess we'll have to find out about the gyro functionality details later in little over a month when the Switch is available. :)

Other than that, thanks for the detailed impressions!

sk3tch

The colors are on the opposite side so the real team neon will know that you are an imposter. It's fine though because gray is the only sensible choice.

Haha...awesome...thanks for letting me know. I'm fine being an imposter. :)

Interesting that they thought to "flip it" like that - so even those that have those colors are incentivized to buy the extra set. Smart.

Taisaijin

So do we have multiple confirmations that the screen is glass? Obviously we don't know resiliency or scratch resistance but I just want to not see a plastic screen come 3/3.

Kinda too bad the joycon grip is flimsy/creaky. All the more reason to get the charge grip or PC.

13ruce

Banned
Thanks for your impressions OP makes me not regret my Switch Pre Order. i did regret the Wii U in the beginning but it turned out fine later on. Switch has Zelda on launch so thats already worth it for me. Certainly getting a few indie games in March and Mario Kart in april, i love double items and battle mode.

Genocyber

Nintendo have said that the Wii U Pro Controller won't work with the Switch.

Couldn't play Zelda. And even if I could, they were only demoing it on TVs.

No they weren't. They had it connected to TVs with the dock but towards the end of the demo, the booth worker lets you switch from joycon to portable mode. Only Splatoon was on TV only with the Pro controller.

tumblr_lfnhsyEcKf1qctj37.gif~c200

Isn't it the same as "Team Neon" if you buy the Nintendo neon red/blue joy-cons here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintend...ch-neon-red-neon-blue/5730704.p?skuId=5730704 ?

Beauty and simplicity of gray plus the neon as an option.

It's actually the opposite of the neon console. The console is Blue Left, Red Right. This is Red Left, Blue Right.

If you buy this and the neon console, you can do full red or full blue.

I bought a neon Switch and a set of neon joycons so that I can play with a totally red, totally blue and the original red and blue joycon layout. To have three options is nice imo ����

Four, actually- because you can do BL/BR, RL/RR, BL/RR, and RL/BR.

Splatoon 2 switch weapon between matches - yes, in the setup they gave us (turf war local ad hoc multiplayer 4v4), we were able to change weapons between matches.

Yes!!

Thank you for answering this!

Not being able to switch weapons between matches was my biggest complaint about Splatoon 1. I hated quitting out of lobbies just so I could swap to a better setup versus opponents that were getting the better of me. I wanted to get sweet revenge on the people I was already playing against and quitting out to swap weapons defeated that purpose.

Definitely more hyped for Splatoon 2 now!

I wouldn't read too much into this imo. The early demos of Splatoon at E3s also allowed players to change kits between matches, but those demos were literally only pick kit, lobby and play match.

Agreed, but definitely something we can hope for and almost expect. I'm sure loadouts are a highly requested feature that was absent in the original game, hopefully we'll be able to have a few options to choose from in between matches

I wouldn't read too much into this imo. The early demos of Splatoon at E3s also allowed players to change kits between matches, but those demos were literally only pick kit, lobby and play match.

Agreed, but definitely something we can hope for and almost expect. I'm sure loadouts are a highly requested feature that was absent in the original game, hopefully we'll be able to have a few options to choose from in between matches

Awe, now my hype is deflated a little.

Surely they'll add this in, won't they?

I can tell you now it won't. Also as others have said you're misinformed.

Charadis

Thanks for your impressions!

I'm wondering, since I use glass screen protectors on my mobile devices regardless, how snug is the Switch dock when you dock the tablet in?

A glass screen protector wouldn't cause it to get lodged in the dock, would it?

Chessr

Ypud have thrse options by buying any second set of joycons with switch. For instance: gray switch, blue joy cons. You coumd do all blue, all gret or grey and blue.

But you cant make a all blue set or red set.
Blue is alwys left and red always right
Or is it the other Way around

At this point I mostly care about software and os.

Unified account?
What OS level features are there?
How does lan switch linking work?
What's the friend app like and how does it integrate?
Any my Nintendo features?
Etc.

Can wii and wiiu controllers connect?

He's not going to be able to get any new information beyond what Nintendo announced at their event on the 12th and 13th. This is just a place for more of the public to get hands-on with the system.

Nintendo will let us know when they're ready to talk about all of the things you and others, including myself, still want to know about the Switch and it's OS, online, etc.

I would at least assume Splatoon 2 was way further complete than the first one's E3 demo lmao.

Barryman

The neon joy-con bundle are reversed from the neon joy-con that come with the system, so you buying the joy-con separately gives you a complete red and a complete blue set.

JoeNut

Just pre ordered the grey version with Zelda. Sat here bored and thought it would be great to have one and couldn't resist any longer!

Since I'm an exhibitor at South, I got to try the Switch before hours a couple of times.

Zelda feels like a great game, and I'm excited to play more in a month. They started me off with a pro controller, and once I got to a certain point, they let me undock the switch.

Unrelated to my impressions, a developer I spoke to mentioned that optimization on the system is currently difficult, but it's a good machine. He said [URL=" game[/URL] shouldn't have any problem running on it, but that's unsurprising.

Does zelda have any motion controls on switch?

Megatron

I'm saying buy a grey switch and then a pair of blue controllers. So you could have all grey, all blue or one grey one blue either left or right for either color.

JaseMath

Question: How much more comfortable is dual-wielding when using the JoyCon strap accessories? I've found no mention of this anywhere. Can anyone answer?

As far as the Splatoon weapon selecting, I wouldn't get too excited.

Yes, it allowed you to select weapons in the menu but this was because it was your only way to pick your weapon. You are playing a demo so you don't make a load out or make your character. Could easily see it still not letting you in the final game but fingers crosses.

I'm so excited for it. It was so fun to play.

Like somebody else said, this event made me want to get a second switch for my gf. She really enjoyed it and doesn't really even play games. That nintendo multiplayer game magic with this being so convenient to use is making this my ideal system. So hyped.

Speely

Banned
As far as the Splatoon weapon selecting, I wouldn't get too excited.

Yes, it allowed you to select weapons in the menu but this was because it was your only way to pick your weapon. You are playing a demo so you don't make a load out or make your character. Could easily see it still not letting you in the final game but fingers crosses.

I'm so excited for it. It was so fun to play.

Like somebody else said, this event made me want to get a second switch for my gf. She really enjoyed it and doesn't really even play games. That nintendo multiplayer game magic with this being so convenient to use is making this my ideal system. So hyped.

That's awesome to hear. Anecdotally, a surprising number of my friends and aquaintances who aren't very active gamers have told me that they want a Switch. Hell, my roomates who are generally luddite hippies have already told me they are in. Combination of it being a more social platform and that enduring Nintendo nostalgia in their case.

It will be interesting to see the spread of the first-year base. Hard to call given how different the Switch is. First console launch where I would not be surprised by horrible or great numbers.

Hey, didn't get a chance to play it again, but I did upload a quick YouTube video of undocking and docking the Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqaznvB0yo

Pretty quick, and I'd argue the time it took to reconnect to the TV had more to do with the HDMI handshake bullshit on those awful TVs.

I know it's off-topic, but holy shit you're making a sequel to LOVE?!

Instantly one of my most anticipated indies.

Aw. Dude. Thanks. <3

Top Bottom