• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm really enjoying World of Light but I'm sick of playing as Mario (stealth Belmont love thread)

iconmaster

Banned
So, Sakurai and co. finally cracked it. They found the formula for single-player Smash that doesn't depend on awkward platforming, level design (not the team's strong suit) and lots of low-level enemy fodder. It's a wonderful, crazy mishmash of video game history. However, the way you unlock fighters leaves something to be desired.

You start with Kirby -- this you know. Early on you can pick up Mario, then Marth, Sheik, or Villager. If your preferred main is any of these characters, you're golden. If you really enjoy anyone else, however, you're in for a bit of a grind playing with a less familiar fighter.

Personally, I love the Belmonts. I've been wanting Simon in Smash since the Smash Ballot and now that he's here I'm finding his playstyle fits me like a glove. But, in World of Light, I have no idea where he is. He's probably in a spooky castle somewhere, because the team put some effort into making sure fighters show up in reasonable areas of the map. That's cool, but it means that in the meantime I'm fighting a lot with Mario. I can do it, I'm making progress, but it's not as much fun as I'd be having playing with Simon or Richter.

It's a minor complaint, but I felt the need to vent.

Also the Belmonts are really cool. "Be gone!"

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I lost interest pretty early because after awhile I had not unlocked anyone I really wanted to play as.

iconmaster

Banned
I lost interest pretty early because after awhile I had not unlocked anyone I really wanted to play as.

Yeah, I definitely understand how that could happen. There are story reasons to do it the way they did, but I'd have preferred giving up a bit of the story logic and just going with what's fun.

Poplin

I unlocked bowser pretty early on and then stuck with him the whole way through. Kept trying new characters but nothing was as effective as bowser at clearing all the fights.

Well, the unlock process can't be perfect for everyone. I really wanted Peach or Daisy early on, but only found Daisy close to the end. No clue where Peach is. There's still a few gates I've no clue how to open. The map is quite easy to get lost on.

Still, I was able to play multiple characters throughout the story. Kirby, Mario, DK, Bowser, Samus, Simon... It's a good way to try new characters.

Nymphae

Banned
Has smash character unlocks not always worked this way? What do you want? The whole cast unlocked up front? A DLC option to pay to unlock the whole cast?

It's just Vs CPU with bad A.I. Subspace would have been better. If I wanted to play Vs CPU, I already could. Now it's just with lava floors, random attributes effects, and whatnot. Best part has been the boss fights, since they aren't like the regular cpu character battles. Pretty disappointing to be honest, though I was on a blackout for this game, so I probably thought this would be more than what it turned out to be.

Belmont is pretty amazing though. Him and Bowser are who I use in the mode when things get boring at work.

iconmaster

Banned
Has smash character unlocks not always worked this way? What do you want? The whole cast unlocked up front? A DLC option to pay to unlock the whole cast?

I'm only here talking about the World of Light adventure mode. I already have the whole cast unlocked for multiplayer.

The way I'd have preferred it to work is to be asked about my favorite fighter, and then be given a way to unlock him/her early on. That's all.

Codes 208

Character unlocks in World of Light is different than the rest of the game. Ex: if you unlock characters via playing other modes, that doesn’t allow you to use them in WoL until you’ve specifically unlocked them in WoL. (However unlocking them in WoL does unlock them for every other mode)

SaviourMK2

I just gold mushroom + ganondorf everything.
Other than a few hiccups, I scream all challenges in less than half a minute

iconmaster

Banned
What, you can change your main!?
I've been spinning my wheels and have used Kirby this whole time!

Bummer. Yeah, you can switch out your fighter in the Party menu:

84XCSZn.png

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ive been maining Pikachu for most fights.

that Fatal Frame battle where you have to take down Daisy and Peach in a time limit was so tough! was losing my mind over that for a few hours heheh =) they kept dodging me!!!

wish there were maybe some more cutscenes or whatever but WoL is a LOT of fun and a huge slice of gameplay i know will last me dozens of more hours.

MP!

i just used marth casue his side b is an attack and he could hold the super scope at the same time... I cheesed a TON of them this way

Type_Raver

Bummer. Yeah, you can switch out your fighter in the Party menu:

lol, i didnt even think to check that.

Ok so Ive had a look and ive unlocked Mario, Link, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, JigglyPuff, Peach, Sheik, Lucario, Villager and Mii Swordfighter!!

Last edited:
Ive been exclusively playing kirby for role playing purposes, some fights have been real hard.

But also what abstract alien said, its just bad AI fights one after another, no cutscenes or any flare. I was also on blackout so yeah I expected too much but I miss the whole adventure aspect

Shaqazooloo

Once I unlocked Dr Mario, I used him for the rest of the campaign, it didn't take that long so I was happy.

Can't say I liked World of Light though. It stretched on for far too long for just being a reskin of event matches, it got very tedious and by hour 5 I was wishing it would just end.

I'd prefer the platforming mix, because atleast then I have a change in gameplay to distract from the repetitiveness of the matches...

Sakura

I wish I could enjoy world of light but it is just so god damn repetitive. I wish there was some story or something inbetween the fights.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
lol, i didnt even think to check that.

Ok so Ive had a look and ive unlocked Mario, Link, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, JigglyPuff, Peach, Sheik, Lucario, Villager and Mii Swordfighter!!
Then you are good to go :).

iconmaster

Banned
Got 'im.

Kind of a pain to get. You have to

Unlock the three colored gates to get into the temple, and the unlock buttons are all over the map. Once you're in, you find him almost immediately.

Watch out, Galeem. We're coming for you.

ROMhack

I've been using Marth but I feel dirty cause Roy's my boy.

His side B attack is deadly. Hold down whilst doing it to inflict maximum damage.

Actually it's not deadly. It's good but crap for knockouts. Gotta C-stick scrub for that.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I know you're all waiting with abated* breath for an update. As I said, I freed Simon for my party. We've been going to town on spirit fools ever since. Simon struggles a bit in group fights -- if you get sandwiched, you're in trouble -- but boy it feels good to hit a mid-air opponent with that axe just so for the final knockout blow.

I'd be happy to mix things up with Richter, but doubt I'll see him on the map anytime soon.

*Pro English tip: it's not "baited breath," it's "bated breath." "Bated" is short for "abated," meaning you're suppressing (holding) your breath.

Last edited:
Top Bottom