• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm seriously tired of Nintendo (rant)

mcjmetroid

I finally got a Switch and thought there would be a ton of games to play on it and I have 4 total. Not being a huge fan of Mario games, I was hoping for more variation. I want more Star Fox games. The hardware is impressive and convenient to use. But I don't want to play an open world Zelda game or yet another Mario game. I was hoping more Wii and WiiU games would be ported to the Switch. Maybe with time they will be.
Not to be rude but if you don't like Mario and Zelda games the Switch is a fairly difficult sell.

Also more Wiiu games? They've nearly done them all. Sounds like maybe you want Star Fox Zero but I'm not really sure that's the game you should be waiting for.

Saruhashi

Banned
...and then they run out and support them with their money.

On the other hand, it's Nintendo fans who say 'NSO is only $20 a year, that's nothing'.

It is basically nothing though. It's the cost of a round of drinks on a night out.

Even if the online service was literally "you need to pay 20 bucks to play online for a year" then fine, whatever.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to do there. Get angry because something I want is 20 bucks for a year?

I mean, if you don't think it's worth that much then don't buy it.

Gaming is the only place where I see this really stupid expectation that we need to be hyper critical of every little thing.

Before this virus shit kicked off I could easily go out after work on Friday at 5pm and roll home at 4am Saturday having spent anywhere between 100 and up to 300 bucks on food and booze and taxis etc and I spend the next day feeling like shit and not remembering the night.

"Oh my god you food and booze fanboys will defend spending money just to have a hangover the next day. LOL. Fanboys."

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Maybe I'm confused because I'm a busy person who games on PS4/Xbox/PC as well, but I have a backlog of Switch games I still haven't finished or explored thoroughly. It's almost like there's too many damn games to keep up with.

Also, this is probably Nintendo at their most prolific, as far as I can tell. Do you expect them to release a new mainline Mario every 2-3 years and promote franchise fatigue, or would you rather than release a masterpiece every 5-7 years? Because that's the cadence Nintendo has operated at forever. All their small, shitty little studios that make their throwaway games (Mario Party, Paper Mario etc) produce way more content than the core of Nintendo themselves.

But I will say that I agree their focus on toys has been annoying; I'd rather them sink those resources into producing more core content. But Nintendo's always been weirdly experimental since the days of the power glove, I don't think that's ever going to change.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Dampf Dampf you must have flunked Kong Kollege boy !!!!!!

Nintendo operates in very unusual ways but somehow they usually end up near the top if not on top most years. 2021 is poised to be much better

Playing oldschool games is still king. if anything, Nintendo needs to improve their online and get all the oldschool console games up and running for their online subscription, especially the Mario Party games so I can destroy Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo at MP3 Spiny Desert one of these days

Saruhashi

Banned
You're expecting something different like Nintendo and the Pokemon fans who loves the appeal of the game are supposed to care.

I bought the latest one simply because it is fun to collect and complete the pokedex. Simple as that.

Balance is important, I don't need your low effort "I'm supposed to be impressed" opinion to know the importance of good balance. You just wouldn't enjoy a game it is not so, I mean how retarded could you be to not appreciate this aspect? Oh, maybe you only like pretty graphics and muh production to look at, not play? That seems logic.

And Yay open world.... what's next, maybe a walking simulator with long ass cutscenes in between? Talk about being entitled AF. Go play those games if you enjoy it that much.

This is like expecting me Sony games to not suck in introducing open world bloats just to boost your playtime, also those slow walking sections like I'm supposed to watch a movie inter gameplay.

Your standards are trash btw. Keep up the good work.

It sells purely because of the cut prices compared to its production, which is pretty good appeal for the mass I guess. Try doing that full price though, let's see.

Sometimes it seems like people see criticism as almost like a duty we all have to engage in.

I agree with you. See a game you might like. Buy it. Enjoy it. The end.

You've got a lot of people who are thinking that the relationship between creator and consumer is one where the consumer loudly and constantly complains to the content creator until the content is "just right".

Anyone who has worked in retail or hospitality knows this kind of customer or guest or client all too well. Moany, miserable, bastards.

Maybe a lot of these lads need validation after dropping 500 bucks on a PS5 or whatever. Like the thought of people just enjoying other games eats them up inside.

I used to be a bit like this with movies when I was younger. So I'd be going around thinking that people in general have shit taste in movies while I, of course, only have time for the very best. Its fine until you realise that actually people are just getting great entertainment from their favourite actors or studios or whatever and you're just a moany cunt who thinks they are above everyone else.

A lot of folk seem genuinely mad that Animal Crossing and Pokemon are hugely popular. :)

Zog

Banned
Gaming is the only place where I see this really stupid expectation that we need to be hyper critical of every little thing.
That's a reaction to fanatics who will defend anything. This industry gets away with shit that most other industries don't. For example, you can't get a refund on a opened game BUT you can't know if a game sucks UNTIL you open it. Take almost any other product and you can open it, use it and if you don't like it return it for a refund. Game consumers have become so accustomed to this that they think it's ok, it's not.

The game community loves to hype things and now we have this pre-order culture where gamers trip over each other to give their money away long before they can get the product. It's embarrassing and it has caused developers and publishers to take advantage of game consumer 'enthusiasm'. Of course there is going to be an opposite group of people who think all the hype hurts us all.

Last edited:

Jeeves

For example, you can't get a refund on a opened game BUT you can't know if a game sucks UNTIL you open it. Take almost any other product and you can open it, use it and if you don't like it return it for a refund. Game consumers have become so accustomed to this that they think it's ok, it's not.
I think I agree with the point you're trying to make, but this isn't a good example. Can you buy a DVD and return it because you didn't like the movie?

That's a reaction to fanatics who will defend anything. This industry gets away with shit that most other industries don't. For example, you can't get a refund on a opened game BUT you can't know if a game sucks UNTIL you open it. Take almost any other product and you can open it, use it and if you don't like it return it for a refund. Game consumers have become so accustomed to this that they think it's ok, it's not.

Too many people using Gamestop, etc. using returns for "free rentals" ruined it for everyone.

Saruhashi

Banned

The game community loves to hype things and now we have this pre-order culture where gamers trip over each other to give their money away. It's embarrassing and it has cause developers and publishers to take advantage of game consumer 'enthusiasm'. Of course there is going to be an opposite group of people who think all the hype hurts us all.

What does that even mean? "Defending".

Nintendo: Do you want to play online and get access to NES and SNES games?
Me: Sure, how much?
Nintendo: 20 bucks a year.
Me: Deal. Here you go.

"Oh my god you absolute fanboy!"

No, it's fine. It's only 20 bucks and I will play online sometimes and will mess about with the old games. It's all good.

"Oh my gaaaaaawd! How can you DEFEND this company?"

I'll make it really simple for you.
If a company offers something I want at a price I am willing to pay then I am buying it.
Otherwise I'm not buying.

I just straight up don't buy products I don't want. No need to prattle on about "defending" or anti consumer blah blah blah. I just won't buy shit I'm not interested in and will buy shit I am interested in. Its that easy.

Bu bu but the online service is terrible? Meh. I don't agree or disagree. It's 20 bucks a year. That's the joys of disposable income, I guess.

Who even gives a shit about pre orders? If someone wants to pay for a game months or weeks in advance then that's on them. It's nothing. Let them learn a lesson when they get some crappy game in the end or let them enjoy playing that game at midnight on launch. Whatever. Its such a non-issue.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
What does that even mean? "Defending".

Just like right here, people are defending 'no refund policies'. In most industries, if you release a terrible product you will get lots of returns but the game industry has protected themselves against this so they need not worry about putting out terrible, we might fix it later products.

Game consumers also love to hype the shit out of upcoming games leading to more pre-orders and then when everything falls through the floor they still continue to do it. I will never forget the 'OMG! Skyrim has Dragons, it's the Game of the Year' after the E3 2011 showing. The game wouldn't be out for another 5 months. This is why there is an anti-hype side.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
That's great, still not sure why you would enjoy paying higher prices though. Your opinion on GOW etc was a joke though, and I notice you didn't even challenge me not having played those games either. Fanboy rubbish.,

Unless you have any data to back this up it's meaningless words.

Also we've established that you're weird. You like being taxed hard by Nintendo, and you're more interested in game sales than game quality. I like having a wider, better, cheaper games library available to me.
Ever wonder why Sony playstation division profit margin was so small vs revenue despite high 1st party software sales?

These are the reason.

Aggressive bundling with PS4
71ZrwxeXnXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2244cedd-0e01-40b6-acad-43d9e5e9db66_416x416.jpg

aa3014087f7daf6533a4e2071ffe5799

Current MSRP for GOW vs BOTW

Tl9jsLn.png

Yx0G6aq.png

VIVG0Na.png

NPD best selling games of the decade by dollar sales.

bQskq32.png

KsjcrRo.png

iHaunter

Hilarious.

I wonder how many of those 65 million switch consoles were people gifting a switch to someone who doesn't even want one...
I will buy BOTW II. I forgot about that one. I beat it a while ago. I liked BOTW, I don't see myself buying anything else though. They're just not the type of games I like to play.

There's no GOW, Spiderman, Demon's Souls, etc. levels of games on the Switch.

balgajo

The only thing I'm mad on Nintendo right now is the lack of options for those who don't need portable gaming. Paying the cost of a portable device and using it only on tv at low resolution kinda of sucks. I'd be happy if they created a tv only device to play Switch games on 4k.

Pimpbaa

If it wasn't for new hyrule warrriors, i'd be pretty pissed about their lineup this year. When I first got my Switch it was BOTW, Mario Odyssey, XBC2, Octopath Traveler and it was awesome. Since then it seems I have been mostly looking forward to Wii U ports I never got to play. Taking forever for BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, and Metroid Prime 4 to come out. Figured at least one of them would have been out by now. Really wish they would use some of the money they are making to make or acquire new studios so they can put out a steadier stream of big single player games.

CamHostage

Vote with your wallet, don't like Nintendo? don't buy Nintendo products.

Easy right?

I think the complaint is, Nintendo has all these product lines that the OP would have liked to buy games in, but they don't make them (or enough of them) because they're busy doing other things.

Which I guess I can understand. (The extreme case of this is "fuck Konami", which has some of the greatest brands of all time between Konami and Hudson and yet all they're doing with them right now is making Pachinko titles; that's true, but also, the craftsmen who made those games great are long gone and Konami hasn't had much worth speaking of aside from one sort-of-done Metal Gear and some Soccer games. Nintendo can still make great games, when they commit to them.) The problem is, game making takes way longer than it used to and a lot more money and manpower than ever (even at Nintendo's measured production budgets,) and just flooding the market with titles wouldn't be good for Nintendo even if they could afford to do it. The company commits to a level of quality and works with only certain studios (the last flier they took was Metroid Samus Returns, and three years later there's no sign that MercurySteam is getting a second gig our of that one.) Already, the Breath of the Wild sequel has been labeled "too soon" by some (meanwhile, Ubisoft has put out like 3 of every one of its franchises and we haven't even seen Zelda 2 yet...) They're just on a different timeline. When you have mega-blockbusters like Animal Crossing happily sustaining masses of gamers through months of COVID, you don't just jam other titles into production because the hardcore say they want more things to buy.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I do think it'd be cool if Nintendo was still in the market of making the smaller games it made for WiiWare (or basically most of its GBA/DS library.) They compressed their business from two platforms down to one, but the types of titles didn't shift over, they just dropped the small-scale market for the most part. (Sony also downsized its platfom slate when the Vita died, and similarly their business shrunk in quantity too, particularly and notably from the Japanese development arm.)

Games like Tetris Party and Mario vs Donkey Kong and NES Remix and the ArtStyle line, all that little stuff they used to make (or, realistically, they used to contract hungry little studios to make for them), IMO that stuff should be jumping all over its digital service like popcorn.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Ever wonder why Sony playstation division profit margin was so small vs revenue despite high 1st party software sales?
So no hard data then?

And yet, in this thread you have people complaining about Nintendo's output this year, while Sony is bringing exclusives like Dreams, FFXIII, The Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima during PS4s swansong years.

Oh and since you don't care about games only spreadsheets, it's probably worth keeping in mind that PS4 is the most profitable games console in videogame history (more than the DS and Wii). Sony's doing just fine as much as it probably pains you 😳.

Bodomism

Banned
So no hard data then?

And yet, in this thread you have people complaining about Nintendo's output this year, while Sony is bringing exclusives like Dreams, FFXIII, The Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima during PS4s swansong years.

Oh and since you don't care about games only spreadsheets, it's probably worth keeping in mind that PS4 is the most profitable games console in videogame history (more than the DS and Wii). Sony's doing just fine as much as it probably pains you 😳.
Can't wait to see your reaction after this Q3 for the most profitable console in half of PS4 lifetime sales.

xDXr7k2.png

Hezekiah

Banned
Can't wait to see your reaction after this Q3 for the most profitable console in half of PS4 lifetime sales.
PS2 is the best selling home console of all time. PS4 is the most profitable console of all time. PS5 is the biggest console launch of all time.

I know it hurts deeply, but don't you have some Animal Crossing levels to unlock 👀😁.

Clarissa

Banned
My Nintenchads!
B Bodomism Lionel Richie Lionel Richie MagnesG MagnesG S Saruhashi Jooxed Jooxed

Did you all watch the Nintendo Direct about Super Nintendo World? My friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy said "As if Nintendo isn't already owning Sony in terms of revenue from Nintendo Switch alone. Once Super Nintendo World launches, Nintendo will take over the world and crush Sony."

He then asked the Sony Fanboys in our chat group "So where is Sony World?? I am waiting for Sony World". And then he laughed.

Last edited:
The only thing I'm mad on Nintendo right now is the lack of options for those who don't need portable gaming. Paying the cost of a portable device and using it only on tv at low resolution kinda of sucks. I'd be happy if they created a tv only device to play Switch games on 4k.

I'm hardly amazed that Nintendo(the kind of portable gaming for 30 years) - is again the king of portable gaming.

OrtizTwelve

Nintendo switch releases have been pretty mediocre with the exception of breath of the wild in 2017 which was groundbreaking and MAYBE Mario Odyssey a year or two ago which was OK.

In these past four years, hasn’t really been anything WOW to be honest and all I keep seeing are just rehash after rehash and very slow release schedule.

No F Zero? No Star Fox? No Metroid Prime footage at least? Nintendo has so many other properties and I feel that the switch has gotten either tons of Wii U ports or just nonstop rehash.

bender

What time is it?
Nintendo switch releases have been pretty mediocre with the exception of breath of the wild in 2017 which was groundbreaking and MAYBE Mario Odyssey a year or two ago which was OK.

In these past four years, hasn’t really been anything WOW to be honest and all I keep seeing are just rehash after rehash and very slow release schedule.

No F Zero? No Star Fox? No Metroid Prime footage at least? Nintendo has so many other properties and I feel that the switch has gotten either tons of Wii U ports or just nonstop rehash.

I'd add Animal Crossing to your list but I can see where you are coming from. Wii U was abysmal sales so while I understand Nintendo's porting efforts from that platform, it's a drag if you owned and supported that system and Nintendo has really leaned into that bit too much for my liking. On the plus side, 3rd part support on Switch is as strong as Nintendo has seen in a very long time. They really need to knock 2021 out of the park.

sunnysideup

Banned
Nintendo has not released a great console for more than 20 years. Nintendo makes 1-3 great games each generation(like zelda bow.). A couple polished rehashes( like mario kart), and C level fan service(fire emblem).

Since snes they have not had a great third party support. Not in the west. And japans gaming industry is in disaray.

I only expect 1 or 2 games each gen. That is why i only buy a nintendo console for the cheap.

Shaqazooloo

I think OP is a troll. Them celebrating Mario's 35th anniversary with toy's and stuff is very concerning I guess and them having a Super Nintendo World Direct in an attempt to market the thing before it is open is a middle finger to the fans?

Maybe it's time to take a break from the internet and games, especially since you're dreaming about Nintendo Minute. I know those two sitting down and smiling at a camera is nightmare fuel yet oddly addicting but at some point you have to look away and not let them take control of your mind.

Rudius

As a Sony gamer, it seems to me Nintendo fans are like gamblers in a casino. They mostly loose and get frustrated (droughts and low effort games), but occasionally they hit the jackpot (2017) and then keep coming back for more.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Not going to read all the thread. We already have it all on the first page.

OP namedropping Bayonetta and Metroid like those ever made serious bank for Nintendo.

People saying Nintendo always makes the same games, but after mentioning Spiderman.

As usual, Nintendo is lucky they don’t have forum people on their marketing division.

I mean, if Sony had games still selling and being talked years later, they would keep their prices "high" too. It's not Nintendo's fault if you can experience the Sony 1st party through YouTube.
That’s brutal, dude :messenger_tears_of_joy:

turtlepowa

Banned
Here's the catch though. This gen when Sony first party titles were smashing their records god of war, Spiderman etc, they still gave a generous sale 2 months after launch and within 12 months they could be got for under $20 on sale. It's just insane how good value playstation offers for full game purchases. Sony could be greedy and keep the prices high because those games sell at high prices.
Are you telling me the story of good guy Sony? The good guy Sony that sells a prettified 11 year old game for 80 Euro? If Sony could sell their games years later for 50+ bucks, they would. 100%. But there are just too many good cross-platform games on PS, nobody would pay that price for an old Sony game.

reptilex

Banned
Agreed.

Nintendo is miking Mario, Zelda and Pokemon like crazy, which is devaluating these franchises mid-term, instead of diversifying.

- Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario 3D World Deluxe, New Super Mario U, Super Mario Party, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Kart Ar, Mario Kart Tour, Super Mario Run, Mario Tennis Ace, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Super Mario Maker, Mario Paper: Origami, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Mario+Rabbids: Battle...
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Zelda Hyrule Warriors HD, Zelda Age of Calamity, Zelda Wind Waker HD, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Zelda: Breath of the Dark, Zelda: Cadence of Hyrule
- Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee, Pokemon Sword & Shield, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Quest, Pokemon Café Mix, Pokemon Unite, Pokemon Go, Pokemon Shuffle Blitz, Pokemon Masters, Pokemon Whatever the fuck etc...

And where are F-Zero? Starfox? Waverace? Metroid? Donkey Kong? New stuffs? Old stuffs?

They're initial success relied on AAAA games (big exclusive AAA games), two actually BoTW and Odyssey, some AAAs like Mario Kart, Super Smash, Pokemon 8 or Luigi's Mansion3...and an incidentally successful AA game, Animal Crossing. But what else?

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
My Nintenchads!
B Bodomism Lionel Richie Lionel Richie MagnesG MagnesG S Saruhashi Jooxed Jooxed

Did you all watch the Nintendo Direct about Super Nintendo World? My friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy said "As if Nintendo isn't already owning Sony in terms of revenue from Nintendo Switch alone. Once Super Nintendo World launches, Nintendo will take over the world and crush Sony."

He then asked the Sony Fanboys in our chat group "So where is Sony World?? I am waiting for Sony World". And then he laughed.

Meh. I like rollercoasters but theme parks wouldn't really appeal that much to me any more.

Cant imagine what it would be like if this was around when I was growing up. I'd annoy the shit out of my folks until they took us there.

Nintendo isn't going to crush Sony any time soon. PS5 well on the way to success and some of the upcoming games look awesome.

Sony World would have a load of cool rollercoasters, I reckon. :)

Clarissa

Banned

Saruhashi

Banned
Here's the catch though. This gen when Sony first party titles were smashing their records god of war, Spiderman etc, they still gave a generous sale 2 months after launch and within 12 months they could be got for under $20 on sale. It's just insane how good value playstation offers for full game purchases. Sony could be greedy and keep the prices high because those games sell at high prices.

It's just incredible Nintendo release the same games over and over again yet their fans lap it up. I'm not surprised they're getting tired of it but at least most of them have a PlayStation or pc to keep them going between the long droughts.

If you look at the sales patterns for those games you will understand why they go on sale when they do.

Really strong sales at launch then a severe drop off.

TLOU2, for example, had an 80% drop off after the first week. Putting a game on sale is a way to try and shift some extra units once the hype is gone.

I don't know why games like Mario Kart 8 don't suffer from this.

It can't just be fanboys. What fanboy is waiting months before buying the game at full price?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe released in 2017 and is still selling millions of copies at full price in 2020. Are fanboys really sitting and waiting for years before deciding to buy.

People make the same arguments that "Nintendo Fans" are buying the same games over and over but looking at sales figures this makes no sense. What Nintendo fan has waited until Q4 2020 to eagerly pick up a Switch and a bunch of games that have also been out for ages.

If your game is still selling millions of copies months or even years after launch then that's not "fans lapping up the same stuff over and over". That's new customers or returning customers.

You cant have it both ways. Hardcore fans are the ones preordering and buying stuff at launch. So you can't then say its them who are driving sales of the console and the big selling games. years later.

Ten_Fold

Super Mario 3D collection upset me badly. I really thought they would remake sm64 at least make it look as good as galaxy. It felt soo lazy like they did it in 1 day.
Smash they consider more of a party type game so they probably treat it somewhat like that. It would be one of the biggest esports games if they took it serious.

reptilex

Banned
You do realise the Switch is going to end up outselling the PS2.

You're best off just accepting it now, as the pain will be too much for you in four/five years time.

It's not, nowhere near, unless they release a Super Switch has an upgrade to the Switch and seriously start diversifying their catalogue and be more serious about their AAAs.

Chukhopops

It's not, nowhere near, unless they release a Super Switch has an upgrade to the Switch and seriously start diversifying their catalogue and be more serious about their AAAs.
It’s very likely they will release an upgraded version in 2021: four years between the 3DS and new 3DS, and now four years since the Switch was released in 2017. It would also match with the release of MH Rise (the new 3DS was released alongside MH4U).

With a hardware revision and considering the 2021 launches the sales could be even larger than 2020 which broke records with only one big hitter (Animal Crossing).

Top Bottom