• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm starting to think that Microsoft has already done too much to "lose" the next generation of gaming

Dory16

Banned
It's hard to have a discussion that goes anywhere, without agreeing on what terms mean, first. You offer two definitions of success, the traditional and a more vague and unquantifiable one. I could offer several other definitions, such as the best games or brand recognition/reputation. I'm sure other people would have other definitions.

I'll stick to the traditional way of defining success (hardware sales), because 1) it's easily quantifiable, 2) it's intuitively appealing, and 3) it is correlated with most other definitions of success (that is, more hardware sales are associated with more/better games, better brand recognition/reputation, etc.).

Then we have to define what "lose" means. Does it mean coming in third in a three-way race? Or is it a two-way race, since Switch is operating on its own timeline? And how much does it have to lose by, to "lose" the generation? If it comes in second in a two-way race, but it's only off by a million, does that mean it lost?

You're asking some pertinent questions. I am not concerned enough about who wins or loses to get that much into the semantics of what definition of success is the most legitimate. Also who am I to define it for everyone on this forum? I therefore decided to highlight the conventional way of defining it in the console market and also the more "evolved" definition that MS is embracing in a rapidly changing market . I literally heard Phil Spencer in an interview this year say "I don't make money based on how many boxes I sell and I don't mind where you play" (or something along those lines). It made me realize that it comes down to a company's business model what "winning" means. And we could be wrong to assume that all gaming companies hold themselves to the same success criteria. I'm sure a high number of boxes sold is fantastic news for any company but I'm strongly suspecting that in the case of Microsoft, this is just a relatively small part of the equation.

More generally I think that "winning " in the gaming market will start to become defined by who enjoyed the widest ecosystem adoption by gamers, including subscriptions services, streaming and hardware. Yes it's less quantifiable but it seems to be the natural course of gaming history with Stadia already out there operating entirely without hardware.

It's remarkable Halo is as big as it is, Microsoft revealing the Xbox Series X means nothing, they got beat out by SONY and Nintendo the last two generations, you could ask why Microsoft hasn't abandoned consoles, staying inside and playing Halo on console has a passionate fanbase, you could argue SONY has never had an elite FPS (Killzone, Resistance sure great but not elite like Halo) it's amazing that Microsoft in console is hanging around.
Halo simply has a huge fanbase but the studio behind it doesnt know how to make it spectacular and look as creatively beautiful as ps exclusives! They are just sitting on a gold mine and dont knpw how to sell the gold

Klayzer

Considering they are the already pushing GamePass as hard as they can with near constant discounting and minimal competition, and still gaining no real ground on Sony or Nintendo, what would lead lead anyone to believe this is suddenly going to become a giant difference maker next gen when prices will inevitably have to rise and competition will be fiercer?

Is it the huge slate of new IP they've established this gen (sarcasm)? Or that the Xbox brand has never been stronger (untrue) and the its console competitors aren't closing out the gen with much momentum (untrue).

Its interesting to me too that Sony's low-key approach over the last 12 months has been seen as complacency, as opposed to a calculated strategy to ensure that they start the new gen as impactfullley as possible despite the latter being their stated position.
I would take the low-key approach, over the Trump tweet style of advertising. In my opinion, I think Microsoft PR has been way to talkative these last few years.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Tell me these things that can be done. Price and an early launch weren't enough and that's when your previous purchases carrying over and online weren't even a factor.

This gen was the most critical one to win and Sony is walking in with a huge advantage that I don't think Microsoft is gonna be able to overcome.

I know this is hard for hardcore gamers to wrap their head around, because gaming has always been this one thing, discrete generations of hardware that come out at the same time that people pick between, with the winner being declared a couple of years in based on who has sold more. But is that really the right way to look at it? Do people look at smartphone sales every year and declare Samsung the winner and Apple the loser, because Samsung sold more phones? Maybe some do, but considering how successful Apple is, saying they "lost the year" or whatever doesn't tell the story.

The fact is that MS doesn't have to sell more consoles to be successful. The question is if they can be successful or have to shut it down like they did Windows Phone.

Yoboman

Streaming has been a flop and nobody has mitigated the distance between the console and mobile markets. They are seperate experiences. Nobody is looking to chew up their data to play Hellblade on a tiny screen

If they actually do it then they can stamp their feet and cry success. Right now claiming their strategy is a success is like claiming their TV strategy of 2012 is a success at reveal

And changing their messaging from refusing to talk about the console sales they are losing at definitely isn’t a sign of success

DanielsM

Banned
The fact is that MS doesn't have to sell more consoles to be successful. The question is if they can be successful or have to shut it down like they did Windows Phone.

Agreed, they don't have to sell plastic but at the end of the day they have to sell something.

I think the issue is, there really is no reason for Microsoft to be a middleman.... they should have competed with Steam and not abandoned their customers during the Game for Windows Live days, imo. Going to rental model or streaming model to me is kind of hard to sustain all this - eventually money has to be made.

I'm all for Microsoft developing and publishing games, I personally have no need for them as a middleman anymore - they have a ton to do to make any of these subscription models work.

Last edited:
I know this is hard for hardcore gamers to wrap their head around, because gaming has always been this one thing, discrete generations of hardware that come out at the same time that people pick between, with the winner being declared a couple of years in based on who has sold more. But is that really the right way to look at it? Do people look at smartphone sales every year and declare Samsung the winner and Apple the loser, because Samsung sold more phones? Maybe some do, but considering how successful Apple is, saying they "lost the year" or whatever doesn't tell the story.

Its not about sales and ive never looked at it on tge sales perspective its more about tge gaming experience and sony and nintendo are above xbox, playstation has the best exclusives in the business and ps4 was simply the best place to play multiplats as well compared to xbone only the xbox one x is better interms of quality and nintendo are good because they stick to their casual games and they have a big library of exclusives on that, microsoft on the other hand need to find where they fit in they have slim options either they deliver same quality or better exclusives pr they stick to making series x more powerful than the ps5 to produce the best quality of multiplat gaming!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Its not about sales and ive never looked at it on tge sales perspective its more about tge gaming experience and sony and nintendo are above xbox, playstation has the best exclusives in the business and ps4 was simply the best place to play multiplats as well compared to xbone only the xbox one x is better interms of quality and nintendo are good because they stick to their casual games and they have a big library of exclusives on that, microsoft on the other hand need to find where they fit in they have slim options either they deliver same quality or better exclusives pr they stick to making series x more powerful than the ps5 to produce the best quality of multiplat gaming!

I said above what I think MS' pitch is for next gen. It is buy the console, subscribe to GamePass for $10 a month, play 100+ games at any time, including all the first party stuff, which they are putting a lot of resources into. I think it's a good pitch myself. I think GamePass is a great value that can outweigh the lack of TLOU3 or whatever for some. Ultimately people will decide what's best for them. But I think that's the direction they are going. GamePass and Xbox are hand-in-hand going forward.

Kokoloko85

Well at the end of the 360 they had probably one of the biggest mindshare in gaming history. (Wii grandmas dont count)
I dont see them getting it back ever.
Even if they do another 360 and Sony makes all the wrong decisions, Playstation 3 still outsold 360 by the end of the generation or equaled it after an awful start.
Games will rule the next console

I said above what I think MS' pitch is for next gen. It is buy the console, subscribe to GamePass for $10 a month, play 100+ games at any time, including all the first party stuff, which they are putting a lot of resources into. I think it's a good pitch myself. I think GamePass is a great value that can outweigh the lack of TLOU3 or whatever for some. Ultimately people will decide what's best for them. But I think that's the direction they are going. GamePass and Xbox are hand-in-hand going forward.
Its a good idea But gamepass is simply a subscription model its a software thing playstation and nintendo can copy and do the same as gamepass and if they do then what? Whats microsoft going to say next? Sony could simply do a gamepass with backward compatible games since ps1 and how is microsoft supposed to compete with that?

I think whoever is chosing companies to make exclusives for microsoft is the one whos really killing the xbox department!
They are chosing companies that make sissy stuff people who just wake up use ms money to fulfill their silly fantasies of games and in such microsoft lacks blockbuster games,

Im happy for age of empires coming back n i hope halo infinite is series xs killzone,. They could bring back motorcross madness plus monster truck madness plus midtown madness as one next gen game and find serious studios to make them proper blockbuster games cause uts useless to have a 12 teraflop next gen console that just sits around without special games to use that power.

Dory16

Banned
Its a good idea But gamepass is simply a subscription model its a software thing playstation and nintendo can copy and do the same as gamepass and if they do then what? Whats microsoft going to say next? Sony could simply do a gamepass with backward compatible games since ps1 and how is microsoft supposed to compete with that?

I think whoever is chosing companies to make exclusives for microsoft is the one whos really killing the xbox department!
They are chosing companies that make sissy stuff people who just wake up use ms money to fulfill their silly fantasies of games and in such microsoft lacks blockbuster games,

Im happy for age of empires coming back n i hope halo infinite is series xs killzone,. They could bring back motorcross madness plus monster truck madness plus midtown madness as one next gen game and find serious studios to make them proper blockbuster games cause uts useless to have a 12 teraflop next gen console that just sits around without special games to use that power.
I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I don't like any of the games that you have mentioned. The bottom line is tastes are extremely diverse and dynamic. What do you call Death stranding? It doesn't fit the description of what you are saying the Xbox lacks and it's damn near been the only subject in gaming recently until MS silenced it with the Series X. I'm not even sure Death Stranding would have had the same success as an Xbox exclusive. Bottom line is blockbusters are hits and miss. Xbox's best chance of having more of them is to get a diverse lineup of capable studios, give them money and time and hope for the best. It seems to me they're doing just that.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I don't like any of the games that you have mentioned. The bottom line is tastes are extremely diverse and dynamic. What do you call Death stranding? It doesn't fit the description of what you are saying the Xbox lacks and it's damn near been the only subject in gaming recently until MS silenced it with the Series X. I'm not even sure Death Stranding would have had the same success as an Xbox exclusive. Bottom line is blockbusters are hits and miss. Xbox's best chance of having more of them is to get a diverse lineup of capable studios, give them money and time and hope for the best. It seems to me they're doing just that.
No mate death stranding is a blockbuster game doesnt have to be a shooter to be one, simply put kojima knows what hes doing, its the shitty dieverse talk that ruins xbox diverse diverse diverse shit. Amd its turned it into a rainbow console, u cant compare anything on xbox against god of war uncharted ghost of tsushima, all xbox has to offer is forza every year, the good old gears and sea of thieves lame crap! Im suggesting they should go bk to age of empires and motorcross madness and turn them into next gen gold since theu cant make better exclusives!

Bryank75

Banned
I am amazed by how satisfied and excited the Xbox community is by a bit of flashy advertising and good PR. Xbox have still to release a good game that is original and not just another sequel to Gears.

They key problems at Xbox are the same, low quality or unoriginal exclusives that are also available on PC. No matter how much they undercut the sale price of games with Gamepass, it cannot compensate for the lack of high quality exclusives in the eyes of potential buyers.

Keihart

What pc do you have? If it’s windows, they already won.

True story. You own a windows gaming platform.

They couldn’t care less if you game on windows or Xbox, as long as you game with them, they thats a plus for them.

And I have to say... I kind of agree. Granted everybody thinks it’s all about consoles sold, but business doesn’t work like that. Sony as a business isn’t doing too great, and it’s gaming division is what keeps them floating. MS on the other hand have multiple hugely successful areas, and yes, one of those is Xbox.

It’s like you think the Xbox flopped or something, and it makes me laugh. I wish I had a product line like Xbox that flopped, because bloody hell, I would be over the moon.

You want to talk flop, let’s talk the google labia.
Did xbox started to actually earn money already? i was under the impression that the division was still bleeding (considering the total investment since it started) more money than what they bring in, but their projections is what keeps them alive.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Im starting to think that MS isn't paying you guys enough to do this level of blatant shilling.

I am beyond sick of all the praise for MS without them actually delivering anything that is game changing. The only thing MS has won, is making noise and convincing certain people that noise means winning.

Im glad that we have people that believe that MS has next gen in the bag, but let's see them deliver something first.
I said, GOT DAMN! Being called a shill from one of Sony's ultimate shillsters! LOL! How in the actual fuck???

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Did xbox started to actually earn money already? i was under the impression that the division was still bleeding (considering the total investment since it started) more money than what they bring in, but their projections is what keeps them alive.

I have no idea to tell you the truth, but the brand and everything that goes with it, does. Its the same as Sony, I imagine the PS4 still doesn't make them money, but everything that goes with it, does. If it didn't, they none of them would bother would they :p

Dory16

Banned
No mate death stranding is a blockbuster game doesnt have to be a shooter to be one, simply put kojima knows what hes doing, its the shitty dieverse talk that ruins xbox diverse diverse diverse shit. Amd its turned it into a rainbow console, u cant compare anything on xbox against god of war uncharted ghost of tsushima, all xbox has to offer is forza every year, the good old gears and sea of thieves lame crap! Im suggesting they should go bk to age of empires and motorcross madness and turn them into next gen gold since theu cant make better exclusives!
Help is on its way.
Out of 15 studios all cooking 2 games at a time, a few gems are bound to come out.

Keihart

I have no idea to tell you the truth, but the brand and everything that goes with it, does. Its the same as Sony, I imagine the PS4 still doesn't make them money, but everything that goes with it, does. If it didn't, they none of them would bother would they :p
Well, i did some google, and it seems that 2017 was the first year of xbox getting some profits it seems. PS division it's been profitable since forever FYI.
Xbox had it rough because it basically bought their way in the industry, the first xbox was far of being a success but MS had the money so they just pushed on.

Dory16

Banned
I am amazed by how satisfied and excited the Xbox community is by a bit of flashy advertising and good PR. Xbox have still to release a good game that is original and not just another sequel to Gears.

They key problems at Xbox are the same, low quality or unoriginal exclusives that are also available on PC. No matter how much they undercut the sale price of games with Gamepass, it cannot compensate for the lack of high quality exclusives in the eyes of potential buyers.
You don't say. I wonder why they bought all those game studios recently. They must need more man power for Forza.

John117

I would like in the next gen of MS:
-Focus on SinglePlayer games
-VR support with Halo VR
-Something like Uncharted/TLOU on Xbox :D

Dory16

Banned
Well, i did some google, and it seems that 2017 was the first year of xbox getting some profits it seems. PS division it's been profitable since forever FYI.
Xbox had it rough because it basically bought their way in the industry, the first xbox was far of being a success but MS had the money so they just pushed on.
I think you mean Sony couldn't asphyxiate the original Xbox like they did the beautiful Dreamcast by buying all the publishers off them. I still remember Capcom saying "We will keep this console alive, even if we have to do it alone" while releasing Power Stone. Xbox had the oxygen tanks to stay alive in face of that unlike Sega and that's why they're still around.

Last edited:
First things first - it's a business. And business means money. How can making billions of dollars each year be considered a loss? I truly don't know, but what I do know is that Spencer isn't at his current high-ranked position in MS and is free to do whatever he wants because he "lost" anything,

That being said, MS is doing everything they can to squeeze every single penny from the overall market - they will cover basically every price point there is, from GamePass/xCloud for 10-15$/month, to beefy 500-600$ gaming console (and possibly somewhere in between with a 300-400$ lower-end console), up to a few thousand bucks gaming PCs, they will offer the games pretty much everywhere, and it's the games and services that generate all the revenue, not the hardware itself (unlike PCs), so basically, they cannot "lose" with such strategy.
They CAN lose. Because making and selling consoles has low margin, and by making multiple SKUs they lower the economy of scale. And by spreading the game over every market the console sales will decrease, thus the 30% rent that third party games pay Muicrosoft to be on Consoles will also decrease. This lead to making and selling consoles becoming a bigger and bigger drain of the business, leading to a death spiral where it made no economic sense to keep supporting ANY Xbox console. And at that point Xbox just becomes SEGA.

Last edited:

Humdinger

You're asking some pertinent questions. I am not concerned enough about who wins or loses to get that much into the semantics of what definition of success is the most legitimate. Also who am I to define it for everyone on this forum? I therefore decided to highlight the conventional way of defining it in the console market and also the more "evolved" definition that MS is embracing in a rapidly changing market . I literally heard Phil Spencer in an interview this year say "I don't make money based on how many boxes I sell and I don't mind where you play" (or something along those lines). It made me realize that it comes down to a company's business model what "winning" means. And we could be wrong to assume that all gaming companies hold themselves to the same success criteria. I'm sure a high number of boxes sold is fantastic news for any company but I'm strongly suspecting that in the case of Microsoft, this is just a relatively small part of the equation.

More generally I think that "winning " in the gaming market will start to become defined by who enjoyed the widest ecosystem adoption by gamers, including subscriptions services, streaming and hardware. Yes it's less quantifiable but it seems to be the natural course of gaming history with Stadia already out there operating entirely without hardware.

We'll probably have lots of discussions as the years go by about these different ways to measure success. I think that hardware sales will continue to be the primary metric, at least in forums like these.

On the other hand, I can understand why people like Phil would have different criteria for "winning." He's a corporate executive. His priority is corporate profit -- if not now, then at least in the long-term. It's also in Phil's interest to downplay hardware sales, for obvious reasons.

In any event, Phil's definition of winning is not mine. I'm a gamer, so I care about games -- number, variety, quality, risk-taking, creativity/artistry, etc. All other things being equal, hardware numbers will usually follow those criteria. That is, gamers go where the games are. And hardware sales reflect that.

Anyhow, I agree that there is not "one right definition of success." I have mine, Phil has his, and other people have theirs.

Last edited:

Keihart

I think you mean Sony couldn't asphyxiate the original Xbox like they did the beautiful Dreamcast by buying all the publishers off them. I still remember Capcom saying "We will keep this console alive, even if we have to do it alone" while releasing Power Stone. Xbox had the oxygen tanks to stay alive in face of that unlike Sega and that's why they're still around.
That's PS2 era, Playstation was already stablished.
Dreamcast is full of classics as well and i owned that console before the PS2, the xbox was a door stopper at the time, the only incentive to own it was to play custom music lists while playing Tony Hawk.

Dory16

Banned
They CAN lose. Because making and selling consoles has low margin, and by making multiple SKUs they lower the economy of scale. And by spreading the game over every market the console sales will decrease, thus the 30% rent that third party games pay Muicrosoft to be on Consoles will also decrease. This lead to making and selling consoles becoming a bigger and bigger drain of the business, leading to a death spiral where it made no economic sense to keep supporting ANY Xbox console. And at that point Xbox just becomes SEGA.
If selling as many consoles as possible was the bread and butter of their business model like you seem to imply, they wouldn't be releasing their first party games simultaneously on the PC. They could never sell another console and still make massive gaming revenues through infrastructure, services and streaming. I explain it well enough in my OP. It's surely advantageous to be in the consumer's living room but there are other ways to make money and MS is circling all of them.

If selling as many consoles as possible was the bread and butter of their business model like you seem to imply, they wouldn't be releasing their first party games simultaneously on the PC. They could never sell another console and still make massive gaming revenues through infrastructure, services and streaming. I explain it well enough in my OP. It's surely advantageous to be in the consumer's living room but there are other ways to make money and MS is circling all of them.
I already said in an earlier post that Microsoft is undercutting their console exactly as you described. John Carmack once showed Nintendo he could port Super Mario Brothers to PC, but Nintendo want no part of it. And that is still true today.

Your argument is "Microsoft is doing it, and since they are right they couldn't be wrong". That's a circular argument.
Microsoft IS abandoning console selling, that is what it means to sell games on PC. That is what will lead to sales of the console to weaken, thus lowering the profitability of designing and selling consoles. Multiple SKUs of different powers would just make the profitability go down even further.

Yes, you can make money by just selling games. But at that point you are no longer able to support being a console manufacturer. At that point it no longer makes sense to design Xboxes anymore.

"There are other ways" is not new or exciting; it is just "becoming a third party game developer". SEGA and Atari exist, you know.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
I already said in an earlier post that Microsoft is undercutting their console exactly as you described. John Carmack once showed Nintendo he could port Super Mario Brothers to PC, but Nintendo want no part of it. And that is still true today.

Your argument is "Microsoft is doing it, and since they are right they couldn't be wrong". That's a circular argument.
Microsoft IS abandoning console selling, that is what it means to sell games on PC. That is what will lead to sales of the console to weaken, thus lowering the profitability of designing and selling consoles. Multiple SKUs of different powers would just make the profitability go down even further.

Yes, you can make money by just selling games. But at that point you are no longer able to support being a console manufacturer. At that point it no longer makes sense to design Xboxes anymore.

"There are other ways" is not new or exciting; it is just "becoming a third party game developer". SEGA and Atari exist, you know.

Let me get this right. Microsoft is investing itself out of the console market is pretty much your opinion. I only know what they aim to do. Competing for every gaming dollar wherever it is. I think they want to do it while remaining in the console market. I don't see a reason to doubt that they will keep producing consoles, since they are setting up the "Series" name. Finally I believe they can count and know how much they have in the bank. That's all.

Last edited:
Let me get this right. Microsoft is investing itself out of the console market is pretty much your opinion. I only know what they aim to do. Competing for every gaming dollar wherever it is. I think they want to do it while remaining in the console market. I don't see a reason to doubt that they will keep producing consoles, since they are setting up the "Series" name. Finally I believe they can count and know how much they have in the bank. That's all.
Google is rich too. But just because you are rich doesn't mean you can count. And that's why Stadia exists.,
There is absolutely no basis to suggest that major corporations are somehow supernaturally intelligent. We have seen all three console platforms make major blunders in our gaming lifetimes. There is no factual basis that any of us should believe ANY of them could actually count.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm so late to this thread that I feel like the goalposts have been moved outside of the stadium

And the city.

Perhaps the country.

Possibly even to another planet.

i 100% disagree.

The only thing that MS did that caused them to lose users was their launch strategy and messaging. That and the sole fact Sony launched 2 months prior. Thats it. Thats the cause of this generations results.

Since launch, MS has done nothing but gamer and consumer friendly things. Much more than Sony as well.

So it is my opinion that MS has done everything to gain users. Its only problem is getting that reputation out. If they launch before or on the same day as Sony, match or beat Sonys pricing, and be similar in power then they have a good fighting chance of making a comeback. They have the goods as a more consumer friendly brand as well as potential hits such as xcloud. They have a shot

I'm so late to this thread that I feel like the goalposts have been moved outside of the stadium

And the city.

Perhaps the country.

Possibly even to another planet.
It is hard to have goalposts when it is unclear what Microsoft's true intent is with Scarlet. (I am sticking with Scarlet, no way I would use the official name.)
Scarlet was designed many years ago, and thus it had to be the way it is. But the current Xbox buisness plan appear to be moving away from Scarlet hardware. That is what makes it so difficult to agree with what Microsoft actually wants.

No doubt Scarlet is going to be released. The question is, how much resources is going to be dedicated towards it specifically? And how much gets diverted to Xbox being multiplatform?

Dory16

Banned
Google is rich too. But just because you are rich doesn't mean you can count. And that's why Stadia exists.,
There is absolutely no basis to suggest that major corporations are somehow supernaturally intelligent. We have seen all three console platforms make major blunders in our gaming lifetimes. There is no factual basis that any of us should believe ANY of them could actually count.
Oh don't get me wrong success is never guaranteed. I think they are getting all the market segments cornered and are therefore unlikely to "fail" (which is used in a relative sense here since they sold minimum 45 M this gen, far from a failure in the strict sense)

spawn

Software wins next gen. Playstation fans are going to Playstation because they know that is where I get god of war, uncharted, last of us, spiderman. In order for xbox to win they need to have the games and they need new exciting ip's. They can't rely on halo, gears, and forza every generation.

Rossco EZ

i see they have acquired more studios and stuff and hope they can pump out more games but the thing that confuses me about game pass in the long run is say they have 100+ games but i only want to play 1, 2 or 3 of them and i pay 5$ and complete those games in the month.. i understand it’s a good deal for me but isn’t it a bad deal for xbox? like have they made enough money from me only paying 5$? cause i could get game pass and play through a ton of content and never come back..

i see they have acquired more studios and stuff and hope they can pump out more games but the thing that confuses me about game pass in the long run is say they have 100+ games but i only want to play 1, 2 or 3 of them and i pay 5$ and complete those games in the month.. i understand it’s a good deal for me but isn’t it a bad deal for xbox? like have they made enough money from me only paying 5$? cause i could get game pass and play through a ton of content and never come back..
In theory, if the games you play encourage you to spend moe money on microtransactions, that could justify the expense. Remember that currently the number one most profitable game is Fate Grand Order, a free to play mobile game.

But of course, micro-transactions have a tendency to destroy any game genre that isn't initially designed for it. For example, Command and Conquer.

quest

Not Banned from OT

That is their incentive to keep making good content to keep people subscribed. It can be a great deal if you do it that way that is why I giggle at the gamepass whiners its great for the consumer as you said.

Rossco EZ

That is their incentive to keep making good content to keep people subscribed. It can be a great deal if you do it that way that is why I giggle at the gamepass whiners its great for the consumer as you said.
yeah i mean i hope it works out and yes it’s very good for consumer if we did it like i said but for xbox it’s not and that’s one thing i sceptical about the whole game pass thing but i’m not shitting on it.

Kagey K

Banned

That is false. The PS3 lost all the money they made on Ps2 and ended up having to restructure. That included selling buildings and other assets as well as leaning heavily on their insurance and financial division to keep them afloat.

Last edited:
Game Pass isn't going anywhere. So I tend to agree.
Just because it would still be called Gamepass doesn't mean its internals could stay intact. For example, any kind of Gamepass that run on Playstation would by default, not contain any third party games. And if Microsoft ever drop out of hardware entirely then third parties would have no reason to be in Gamepass anymore, anywhere. A Gamepass that contain only Microsoft games would be a different beast.

quest

Not Banned from OT
yeah i mean i hope it works out and yes it’s very good for consumer if we did it like i said but for xbox it’s not and that’s one thing i sceptical about the whole game pass thing but i’m not shitting on it.
It will be around for many years MS is really invested into it. That was the driving force with the studio acquisitions content ever quarter eventually. They sold it to the suits with the xcloud leveraged azure part of the business. They will get time to grow it. Gamespass is also 10 on console so if it catches on it is a big revenue driver. Now they have ultimate smartly on console it is a risk but big enough reward they will get time to make it work.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

The Switch has outsold the Xbox one in less than half the time of its existence, and it has been outsold by more than double its nearest competitor. Xbox has it in the bag baby.

Keihart

That is false. The PS3 lost all the money they made on Ps2 and ended up having to restructure. That included selling buildings and other assets as well as leaning heavily on their insurance and financial division to keep them afloat.
I had no idea that that was due to ps3, I though it was a Sony thing since everything liquidated was non playstation related.

Top Bottom